grumpee is offline Associate Member

Bodybuilders today versus 30 years ago

Been watching pumping iron lately as motivation and really been noticing the difference between Guys now a days compared to the guys 30 years ago.

Personally I much rather look like arnold, Lou and ken than to look like Jay, Ronnie and Kai. They are just so much thicker and bigger now adays and my guess is its all the GH, Slin and 19nors that are available ? I also been reading that they worked out 4-5 hours a day back then but they never over trained ?

Iam pretty green to the sport and just trying to educate myself more. Do todays gear and higher carb diets make that much difference ?

big_ron is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes deff the HGH and Slin that can add to that bloated look. i also think being the biggest wasn't so important as it seems to be these days.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    It used to be a lot more about symmetry then it is now. Now it's more about size.

Agreed, i like the look of the older pro's altho their legs could be a bit more bigger to bring in proportion. but love the achievement of the huge pro's these days

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Yeah I'd take the old look any day. If they keep trying to get bigger and bigger. Imagine bbing in another 20 years.

Yea fuk that they will really end up like the guys on the max's containers haha

With all the gear their on and all the mass I really wonder how it will affect their lives after body building ? Getting that huge can't be good on there cardiovascular system. Looks like most of the old school guys are still pretty healthy. Franco and Lou are still in awesome shape. Arnold I don't know about , you would think he would be.

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member
    Yea I wanna see how old some of these guys live to be like Jay and Ronnie and everybody, Im sure all the food they eat (even though its very healthy items) has to take its toll on their body. It seems like the lifespan of their organs might be shortened quite a bit. Taking in huge amounts of protein is hard on your kidneys right?

Of course it causes an effect on the body, its not 'healthy' to be walking around with so much muscle mass and putting their bodys through all that.
    hence why our bodys can only grow so much 'naturally' but some are not satisfied with that.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I much prefer the old classic shape than the modern pro body builder. I saw my first Olympia 30 years ago, in London at the Wembley Conference Cenre, and the thing I remember most about that was the preceeding competition which was the European Couples Competition .... strange that that competition stayed in my mind more so!! It was Erica Meyes and Berry De May who made the impact. Berry was stood on his own in the middle of the stage and did a few poses ..... lat spread .... front double bi's .... where was his partner? There was a buzz around! Then Erica stepped out from behind Berry with a beaming smile and they went about their routine ...... it was shocking and marvellous ..... and these were the amatuers!! Berry looked massive and went onto become a very successful pro as we all know!!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    as our science technology improves, less effort produces better results. Today, it's not too terribly difficult to get massive in 5 years. 30 years ago, you almost had to "know people", as the requisite information wasn't readily available, and aas then is nothing like aas today. When I was younger and lacking data, I worked out for years with minimal results, not understanding what to do to make the body grow.

I sometimes think if I knew at 30 what I know now...

awms is offline Senior Member
    The guys today are crazy! its absurd the amount of stuff they use! there was an article on ********* a while back from a pro trainer stating that some of his pro guys were using 40 i.u hgh a day!! and some even more then that! he told me some guy use insulin at extremely dangerous levels and have ended up in the hospital.

What happend to trying to be healthy? It sad because I would compete but for me there is no point...I have great genetics and work hard but even amature guys are using hgh and slin now. It not worth it for me to win trophy and reck my body in the process.

it's like everything else nowadays.... we are a society of excess... if a little is good....

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I miss bodybuilders that have a waist. I am still impressed by the current guys, but I don't aspire to be them like I did Shawn Ray or Flex Wheeler. I don't even buy the magazines because I think everyone looks stupid. And what is with all those photos where it looks like they are screaming? Is that "hardcore"?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Couldn't agree more... gimme the old look any day. Granted those guys weren't natural either, but compared to the inhuman looking guys of today, they sure look it!

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Agree with vegas about the wasteline of the older pros, The taper they had looked so much more natural, Maybe its the enlargement of the internal organs from HGH that makes the wastelines look disproportionate in todays pros

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think the pros 30yrs ago actually looked athletic as compared to some of the pros of today.

let's jump into the way back machine for a bit... anyone remember the Charles Atlas Ads in the back of the comic books? there would be a pic of him there, flexing, looking massive. I remember that look, but today......

n00bs is offline Member

Love that look...

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Ah back when they had waists. Dont see them like Brian Buchanan anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bodybuilders today versus 30 years ago-brian_buchanan_11.jpg  

I like darrem charles look...he admits to using steroids but says he has never touched gh and doesnt want to go for that look. Im not sure if that is true but It wouldnt suprise me...he goes on stage around 225lbs and looks great! still has a small waist and if he did the amount of crap most pro's do today I have no doubt in my mind he would place top 3 every year.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Agree the "old timers" looked better but you also have to take into account they were taking gear like it was candy.

kelevra is offline Member
    Back a few years ago, 14 feet tall and 700 pounds @ 8% didn't sound big enough. Markus ruhl & Colemn were specimens to beheld of genetic nastiness.
    Now there are plenty of dudes with jinormous mounds of blocky bloat and colossal muscle. No doubt they are impressively big however they have all most created a new class of physique that isn't comparable to the older gen of guys.
    Kevin Levrone was IMO one of the last of the new generation that wasn't overly massive with a good look.
    I'll take the older look.

Thought this thread could use some pics of the old school

Shol'va is offline Productive Member

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^Bob Paris, one of the best shapes ever.

Deen54 is offline Member
    V-tapers and the vaccum for the stomach looks so much better than the big bellies of today.

No one wants to look like the guys today...people think its cool because they look like freaks but if you ask the avg gym rat if they want to be 300lbs with 24inch arms they will prob say no. 99.99% of women out their would take arnold in his prime over any of these pro's today. Look at who most people look up to...Guys like GSP, vernon davis (football player), Brad pit in troy, Dwight Howard (NBA)...guy who men want to be and women want to sleep with lol

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    It used to be a lot more about symmetry then it is now. Now it's more about size.
    doesnt matter how small ur dick as as long a its symmetric to ur balls its good? KP and SB will be happy to hear that

The ones that are today became like this because the public wants them like this.

I dont really follow ifbb anymore because of it. You can still find the odd pro who is massive and not a total freak but anyone who places top 10 is 280 plus pounds and most of them are only like 5"6-5"8. Darrem Charles has a great body! but he cant even keep up with the size game anymore! It bascially at a point of who can put more shit in their body without dieing lol

I was reading an article that said many top guys use 40 plus iu a day of gh and using slin at extremely dangerous doses and test at 2000-5000mg a day at some points in the year! I remember in one of ronnie colemans videos he said he was on 2 diffrent cholesterol medication, and blood pressure meds, Now thats abuse!

Others run almost incontrolable jet cars very fast down the runway. There is a downside to everything.

Posted twice by accident. Sorry
    Last edited by JimmySidewalk; 05-25-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Angel of death is offline Senior Member
    they had anadrol , dbols, test, slin, etc...I bet you more then anything its got to do with people being bigger in general. For example look at the NFL 30 years ago...dick butkis would get put on his ASS if he played with these guys today i dont care how mean he was

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    This is why I like Cedric McMillan so much; unless he goes the mass monster route, he's about the only one with size and symetry. The other current pro I like is Dennis Wolf for the same reason. They could compete back in the day.

Thread Information