Rockin Z28 is offline Associate Member

got canned on the 4th day of my new job (lol)

So i had previously quit a job that I hated (I'm kind of new in the career game, but the job I had been working at for a while was not for me) and I found this new job on craigslist selling electronic stationery. It seemed so perfect in the interview process..a base salary(500 a week) and commissions through the roof sicne they said the company was sky rocketing. The bonus structure went 2% of commissions for 20k and below and 9% for anything above 20k, and if i wasnt making 20k a month then i wasnt even trying. So I finally got the job after 3 interviews and went through the training process..but i noticed their numbers werent adding up. They had 2 sales people already and the current record the company had ever sold in one month was 12k..but they told me the minimum was 20k a month? the job was a 1 hour commute 1 way and additionally 4 dollars in tolls one way as well. I called them on day 4 about 45 minutes before my shift and told them i would be about 5-10 minutes late(i kind of lost enthusiasm about the job anyways at this point) and i got there exactly 7 minutes late and one of the bosses came out and told me the CEO wanted me gone because tardiness is unacceptable (true, i agree, except i called 45 mintues in advance) regardless i wasnt going to stay at the job for very long but was curious..in the early phases of yoru career do you end up bouncing around a bit until you find what you really like? any similar experiences?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I didn't. most sales job inflate their numbers. And their are sales jobs you make a ton of money but they are looking for proven experienced closers. No job that pay 20k a month is hiring a newbie

Rockin Z28 is offline Associate Member
    not making 20k a month..you would only make 2% of the 20k you sold in commissions..keep in mind the current record since the company had openined is 12k
    Last edited by Rockin Z28; 06-17-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: additional info

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    ....if it sounds too good to be true....

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    sales be sales...someones always getting it

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Z28 View Post
    not making 20k a month..you would only make 2% of the 20k you sold in commissions..keep in mind the current record since the company had openined is 12k
    ok i misread it. Still if they are taking people with no experience and giving you a $500 base thats about normal. I agree not worth it with your commute but sounds about right

jtuner77 is offline Member
    This is some bs #'s, how do they expect you to reach a # that has never been obtained? Shoulds like some bs sales pitch to me.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    I got my first career job when I was 18 ish...been with the same company and promoted 5 x.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    oh shit, dont sweat it man, you'll look back on this and think fvckin losers wasting your time.

I have loads of jobs in my time, im only 32 and i must have had at least a dozen different jobs, all the same type just different employers, im talking half decent jobs with above average money and company cars and stuff, and i walked out on most of them, theres been some howlers, real low as you can get moments. Landed on my feet again though
    :-)

One time i was a service engineer on the road and it was bank holiday weekend and i was dying to get home to see my gf at the time for a sex day, speeding up the A1, trying to light a cig at the time, a woman in front stopped at a roundabout and BANG, straight into the back of her....ooops, boss aint going to be happy with this, i was only 60 miles away from mind blowing nailed on shagging, it took me about 7 hours to get home that day, i was gutted then Tuesday morning i was ordered to go to Head office down south for a 'special' job, I had to wait all week for the boss to turn up only for the inevitable to happen - the sack, no money to get home and miles away from home. even longer journey home that day.
    Last edited by MR-FQ320; 06-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Never really bounced around.Only left when the money wasnt good enough any more.Sales is tough either youre good or you suck.I had a friend worked for Pitney Bowes.Hell he could sell a freezer to a eskimo.He had the cash.But was good.All I can say is find your niche and stick with it.

Thread Information