Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda 919

Honda 919

What do you guys think about a Honda 919? I think it's called the Hornet in Europe.

I haven't had a street bike in almost 10 years and even then I only had one for about a year or two, so I'm looking at this as a 1st bike. I've always had and still have a dirt bike so I know how to ride but definitely not used to something heavy or riding on the street.

So would this be a good first bike?

ENGINE:
    Engine Type Horizontal In-line
    Cylinders 4
    Engine Stroke 4-Stroke
    Cooling Liquid
    Valves 16
    Valves Per Cylinder 4
    Valve Configuration DOHC
    Compression Ratio 10.8:1
    Starter Electric
    Fuel Type Gas
    TRANSMISSION:
    Transmission Type Manual
    Number Of Speeds 6
    Primary Drive (Rear Wheel) Chain
    WHEELS & TIRES:
    Front Tire (Full Spec) 120/70 ZR17
    Rear Tire (Full Spec) 180/55 ZR17
    BRAKES:
    Front Brake Type Dual Disc
    Rear Brake Type Disc
    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
    Wheelbase (in/mm) 57.5 / 1460.5
    Fuel Capacity (gal/l) 5 / 18.9

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    919 for a first bike? Just make sure your life insurance is up to date. Dirt bike riding is nothing like a streetbike.

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    I don't like how the front looks like a cruiser and the rest of the bike looks like a crotch rocket, but thats just me.
    maybe you should start out with a 600 first, just untill you get the feel for it again, then you can upgrade.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree I bought a GS500F for my first bike and it was a smart decision. I almost bought an R1 and I`m sure I would have hurt myself badly or killed myself if I had.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    919 for a first bike? Just make sure your life insurance is up to date. Dirt bike riding is nothing like a streetbike.
    that 919 makes around the same hp as a typical 600

Pizzle is offline New Member
    Love my cbr rr 929. Go for it Bro

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    its basically a de-tuned fireblade engine, good for spirited commuting, you might a cbr600 a better way to go, weather and windblast protection from the fairings etc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    only goes as fast as your right hand allows it. i started off on a zx6r and many times the power got me out of trouble, weedy bikes teach you nothing about white line spin ups or highsides, two of the most common fails with inexperienced riders

It only makes about the same horsepower as a cbr600, I know it's not like riding a dirt bike - that's why I said I'm considering it like a 1st motorcycle.

I don't like how the front looks like a cruiser and the rest of the bike looks like a crotch rocket, but thats just me.
    maybe you should start out with a 600 first, just untill you get the feel for it again, then you can upgrade.
    LOL. That's what I like about it, it looks like a sport bike but without the full fairing.

I agree I bought a GS500F for my first bike and it was a smart decision. I almost bought an R1 and I`m sure I would have hurt myself badly or killed myself if I had.
    R1 is definitely out of the question until I get alot more experience but my ego won't let me settle for a 500.

that 919 makes around the same hp as a typical 600
    Exactly

Love my cbr rr 929. Go for it Bro
    Isn't that the Fireblade? Those are bad ass but not ready yet.

its basically a de-tuned fireblade engine, good for spirited commuting, you might a cbr600 a better way to go, weather and windblast protection from the fairings etc
    Never really thought about the fairing as having the purpose of protection from weather. Duh.

I'm gonna try to ride a 919 and a CBR600 and see which I feel more comfortable on. Thanks for the advise guys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    It only makes about the same horsepower as a cbr600, I know it's not like riding a dirt bike - that's why I said I'm considering it like a 1st motorcycle.

LOL. That's what I like about it, it looks like a sport bike but without the full fairing.

R1 is definitely out of the question until I get alot more experience but my ego won't let me settle for a 500.

Exactly

Isn't that the Fireblade? Those are bad ass but not ready yet.

Never really thought about the fairing as having the purpose of protection from weather. Duh.

I'm gonna try to ride a 919 and a CBR600 and see which I feel more comfortable on. Thanks for the advise guys.
    ive a 929rr aswell and they are very user friendly, they arent as snap vicious as an r1 or zx10r, all those bikes are quick but only as quick as you want to ride them mate, you are in control

TBrah is offline Associate Member
    To the OP, I don't like sportbikes with no fairings , even an r1 with no plastics won't go past like 120 and you can't even turn lol. Good choice on a japanese bike though at least parts are easy to get and not as costly but I think you should get a 1k with some fairings
    Last edited by TBrah; 07-31-2011 at 03:23 PM.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Didn't know it only had the HP of a CBR600. Then i say go for it. My first bike was a CBR600. I grew out of the bike in 6 months but i learned a lot. Some would call it a waste to only keep a bike for 6 months but im still a live so it was worth every penny. First sportbike should always be a used one IMO.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Unless you are a pro racer you don't really grow out of a 600 (superbike only). It takes one hell of a rider to use a bike to its full ability.

I went riding with an AMA racer and he had a big bmw with saddle bags and everything. I had a zx6-r. He made me look like a fool without even applying himself. He told me that he can't use a 600 to the bikes limits and 99% of riders can't. I will never sacrifice comfort again.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    first bikes ALWAYS go down at least once. Did you know that? They do! it's a gravity thing, and a "you are learning to ride" thing. So why screw up and expensive new bike?

What I would do? I'd go to Craigslist and pick up something for $3k and learn on that. Once you get comfortable, say after a year, then sell it and get you something new.

Did you know you can get some screaming deals on Craigslist? Lot of blokes having to part with their scoots so they can put meat and potatoes on the table.

------------
    Last edited by Times Roman; 08-01-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Yeah, I was planning on getting a used one - they haven't made the 919 since 2007. Just trying to decide between the 919 and a CBR600.

How long can you guys ride your CBR before it becomes too uncomfortable?

no idea. i have a 2006 harley ultra, and I can ride that thing clear across the country no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    Yeah, I was planning on getting a used one - they haven't made the 919 since 2007. Just trying to decide between the 919 and a CBR600.

How long can you guys ride your CBR before it becomes too uncomfortable?
    my first bike was a cbr600rf3. I would ride it for hours. It wasnt uncomfortable to me. But how tall are you

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    first bikes ALWAYS go down at least once. Did you know that? They do! it's a gravity thing, and a "you are learning to ride" thing. So why screw up and expensive new bike?

What I would do? I'd go to Craigslist and pick up something for $3k and learn on that. Once you get comfortable, say after a year, then sell it and get you something new.

Did you know you can get some screaming deals on Craigslist? Lot of blokes having to part with their scoots so they can put meat and potatoes on the table.
    So I was going to reply to this but I changed my mind I don't want to jinx myself lol

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    my first bike was a cbr600rf3. I would ride it for hours. It wasnt uncomfortable to me. But how tall are you
    6' even

Quote Originally Posted by beatango2008 View Post
    So I was going to reply to this but I changed my mind I don't want to jinx myself lol
    so you were going to say...

"I'm a first time rider and haven't went down yet...."

something like that?

so you were going to say...

"I'm a first time rider and haven't went down yet...."

something like that?
    Something along those lines, I'm a fairly new rider 3 years 2007 Yamaha R6 first bike, haven't had any incidents yet.
    I probably will now that I said something though.

Quote Originally Posted by beatango2008 View Post
    Something along those lines, I'm a fairly new rider 3 years 2007 Yamaha R6 first bike, haven't had any incidents yet.
    I probably will now that I said something though.
    how many miles have you put on?

I put around 30k on it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Unless you are a pro racer you don't really grow out of a 600 (superbike only). It takes one hell of a rider to use a bike to its full ability.

I went riding with an AMA racer and he had a big bmw with saddle bags and everything. I had a zx6-r. He made me look like a fool without even applying himself. He told me that he can't use a 600 to the bikes limits and 99% of riders can't. I will never sacrifice comfort again.
    very true, any 600 sports class is fast enough for 99%. i cant use my blade to full capability, id kill myself, i just like the usability of the extra power and never having to go down gears for roll on over takes

Blog Entries

i disagree there mate, ive ridden four years without as much as dropping a bike and i started on zx6r and im a bit mental on a bike (blame ghost rider ). im now touching wood lol

i do agree on not buying new, way too many good deals on nearly news
    Last edited by dec11; 08-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i disagree there mate, ive ridden four years without as much as dropping a bike and i started on zx6r and im a bit mental on a bike (blame ghost rider ). im now touching wood lol

i do agree on not buying new, way too many good deals on nearly news
    I love ghostrider you'd probably like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xheLF1qub2Q

isn't one of the differences between a small bike and a midsize bike the weight? and with weight comes a better ride, more comffortable?

isn't one of the differences between a small bike and a midsize bike the weight? and with weight comes a better ride, more comffortable?
    in the sportbike the weight difference is usually minimal. The difference between a gixxer 600 and 100o is about 20lbs.

Blog Entries
    well i found the weedy 125cc, i legally had to do my test on, a complete bitch to manoeuvre in comparison with the zx6r id already been riding.

Blog Entries
    in the sportbike the weight difference is usually minimal. The difference between a gixxer 600 and 100o is about 20lbs.
    yeah, its mad theres only 2kgs between a 2000 cbr600 and a 929rr blade. i think TR meant from between say a 125-250 and a 600 class

Now I'm a highschool dropout so I'm not a physics expert but isn't a 20lb difference actually a big deal? I know the faster something is moving it weighs significantly more.

yeah, its mad theres only 2kgs between a 2000 cbr600 and a 929rr blade. i think TR meant from between say a 125-250 and a 600 class
    oh maybe. I didn't even consider bikes that small. They are more like scooters.
    I actually just looked the ninja 250r is the same weight as a gixxer 1000

Quote Originally Posted by TBrah View Post
    Now I'm a highschool dropout so I'm not a physics expert but isn't a 20lb difference actually a big deal? I know the faster something is moving it weighs significantly more.
    yes if they both had the same power. But the 1000 is has so much more power it doesnt matter

they look like scooters from the back lol doesn't it have like a 160 on the back? A zuma would have a wider tire lol

yes if they both had the same power. But the 1000 is has so much more power it doesnt matter
    I meant in terms of handling like if you did a trackday

Blog Entries
    pea shooter lol

sorry mates. to me, a 600 is a small bike. about 1/3 the engine size what I ride

sorry mates. to me, a 600 is a small bike. about 1/3 the engine size what I ride
    1/3 the engine size but has a higher power to weight ratio. I've ridden a harley with what I THINK was a 1250cc engine and I would say a 600 could easily accelerate faster. How much HP does your harley make?

Blog Entries
    they wouldnt be classed as small in sport bike terms though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information