Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries

need advice on an ill dog

one of my dals has been having arthritic problems in her front legs for around 8mths, she has also had a spine operation. initially her arthritis was treatable with medication but it now doesnt seem to work for her. she is insured but now shes 12 theres a 50% age related deduction from payouts, shes just racked up another 500euro in vet bills and they want to do further tests which if turns out to be another condition she'll set me back at least another 300euro and im running broke, its at least 100euro every month to the vet.

i really wish i could afford it all but cant and need advice, should i put her down? shes 12 and in pain most of the time and is taking it out on my other dog, she hasnt had a decent walk in 7 months. is time to let her go?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Oh Dec. I am so sorry to hear any of this.

Just ask yourself this: are you keeping her around for you or for her?

That will give you the answer.

12 and not a happy camper for 7 months? And not nice to her friend? A lot to consider.

You will make the right decision.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    dec11 i am a huge animal lover and grew up and have had dogs all my life. I am the type that has more compassion for animals then human beings but if her quality of life is being sacrificed because of her ailments then you should seriously consider putting her down. You know as an animal owner when your pets are in pain or not feeling well and I am sure it is affecting you as much as it is her. If she is suffering that much it would be for the best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Oh Dec. I am so sorry to hear any of this.

Just ask yourself this: are you keeping her around for you or for her?

That will give you the answer.

12 and not a happy camper for 7 months? And not nice to her friend? A lot to consider.

You will make the right decision.
    yeah i know that putting her to sleep is prob the best and right thing to do, just not easy. she was a rescue dog, poor thing was being used for puppy farming. i gave her a good life for the past 6yrs. she can now barely walk and barks/growls at everything that moves, she used to never make a sound at all which leads me to believe shes in pain and not happy at all
    Last edited by dec11; 08-02-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Tough call. Is she still able to take care of business like going out to potty and not messing in the house? If she is an outdoor dog I guess it wouldn't matter on that part, but if she is suffering severely then I'd put her down otherwise as long as she is alert and functioning ok, eating sleeping good bowel movements, etc. I'd keep her as long as you could. when it gets to the point of cost for her care exceeding what is reasonable for you to pay that is something else you need to look at also. Lets face it Dec she is like a member of family and you hate to put her down but sometimes it's best for you both. Lot of luck in whichever way you decide but it will be a sad day the day you do it. so just get prepared.
    It's times like these I'd like to give you a (NO HOMO) hug.
    Last edited by Shol'va; 08-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Tough call. Is she still able to take care of business like going out to potty and not messing in the house? If she is an outdoor dog I guess it wouldn't matter on that part, but if she is suffering severely then I'd put her down otherwise as long as she is alert and functioning ok, eating sleeping good bowel movements, etc. I'd keep her as long as you could. when it gets to the point of cost for her care exceeding what is reasonable for you to pay that is something else you need to look at also. Lets face it Dec she is like a member of family and you hate to put her down but sometimes it's best for you both. Lot of luck in whichever way you decide but it will be a sad day the day you do it. so just get prepared.
    yeah, my excess is 100euro each time and the vet is now telling me a blood test came back with low red and white blood cells so this will be another condition and another excess to breach and with the 50% age deduction im goin to be looking at another 300-400euro with whatever treatment she needs, that i just havent got atm. she used to be very quiet and reserved and now she even gives out at me at times. i get more concerned over animals than i do humans, makes it bloody hard

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    That sucks man. Is there something they can with pain management, not for a specific condition but like in general that would be more cost effective? I feel your pain. Its going to be a bad ****ing day when I have to put my dog down. My dog recently scratched his eye and i wanted to die inside...I can just imagine what your are going through.

If they cant offer her a more comfortable quality of life then I would do it. I'd do it and then rescue another dog to keep my mind of of it as much as possible, plus you get to help out another dog that needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    That sucks man. Is there something they can with pain management, not for a specific condition but like in general that would be more cost effective? I feel your pain. Its going to be a bad ****ing day when I have to put my dog down. My dog recently scratched his eye and i wanted to die inside...I can just imagine what your are going through.

If they cant offer her a more comfortable quality of life then I would do it. I'd do it and then rescue another dog to keep my mind of of it as much as possible, plus you get to help out another dog that needs it.
    Be careful there as I went to pain management and all they wanted to do was put me on 80mg oxys, but then again your dog wont be in any pain, she wont feel anything at all.....

Blog Entries
    the vet has her on tramadol, but it wont help her walk properly. only masking the pain well supposedly anyway, no way of asking the dog unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post

yeah, thats prob what id do. i have another dalmatian and it may sound silly but i know she will be lost without her for a while. the breed craves constant company and they really bond strongly with each other.

she now has three diff conditions, bad enough if it was only the one
    Last edited by dec11; 08-02-2011 at 02:56 PM.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    dec11 i am a huge animal lover and grew up and have had dogs all my life. I am the type that has more compassion for animals then human beings but if her quality of life is being sacrificed because of her ailments then you should seriously consider putting her down. You know as an animal owner when your pets are in pain or not feeling well and I am sure it is affecting you as much as it is her. If she is suffering that much it would be for the best.
    i have to agree. And i wish i didnt. My dog is my child. But it honeslty just sounds like she is suffering. I'm very sorry Dec

PitMaster is offline Associate Member
    I had to do this a few months back with my oldest one being 16. It was a serious talk with the vet. He kept him comfortable as long as he could but when things started progessing, which I thought happended kinda rapidly it was time. My vet wasn't out to take me for all he could he just let me know it would be best to do it. Basically when he wasn't comfortable anymore and struggling to get around. Vision was going and not very stable on his feet, He was suffering. If your dog is suffering buddy and the vet seems to be struggling to keep him comfortable then it's a break your heart call. Be honest, When your actions to save him are futile it pushes u more to do it. I'm fortunate I have a good vet. It took many to go through. Maybe a second opinion from a different vet? Before further testing. Keep your chin up, it's hard both ways, Having him there or not. I dunno...watch for signs like moaning when she lying around, groaning when using the bathroom or just low groaning(not growling) That should let u know how she feels. Maybe growling at other dogs is protective instinct, cuz she uncomfortable and don't wanna be messed with.
    BTW my vet, who is about 60 swears by this diagnostic test. Check the ears, If you stick your finger in his/her ear and it's nasty or has pungent smell, That's usually a sign something going on. It's not just dirty ears. But this is just his basic, quick look over for initial visits. It doesn't really tell you what is happening, but makes u aware to look for things and pay close attention. I understand she already has an underlying problem so It may not apply. Food for thought. Hope u find some answers, hang in there.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    If you suspect she is not enjoying life, let her go.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    yeah, thats prob what id do. i have another dalmatian and it may sound silly but i know she will be lost without her for a while. the breed craves constant company and they really bond strongly with each other
    That doesn't sound silly at all. Dogs are social creatures as are we, which is one of the reasons we get along so well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PitMaster View Post
    I had to do this a few months back with my oldest one being 16. It was a serious talk with the vet. He kept him comfortable as long as he could but when things started progessing, which I thought happended kinda rapidly it was time. My vet wasn't out to take me for all he could he just let me know it would be best to do it. Basically when he wasn't comfortable anymore and struggling to get around. Vision was going and not very stable on his feet, He was suffering. If your dog is suffering buddy and the vet seems to be struggling to keep him comfortable then it's a break your heart call. Be honest, When your actions to save him are futile it pushes u more to do it. I'm fortunate I have a good vet. It took many to go through. Maybe a second opinion from a different vet? Before further testing. Keep your chin up, it's hard both ways, Having him there or not. I dunno...watch for signs like moaning when she lying around, groaning when using the bathroom or just low groaning(not growling) That should let u know how she feels. Maybe growling at other dogs is protective instinct, cuz she uncomfortable and don't wanna be messed with.
    BTW my vet, who is about 60 swears by this diagnostic test. Check the ears, If you stick your finger in his/her ear and it's nasty or has pungent smell, That's usually a sign something going on. It's not just dirty ears. But this is just his basic, quick look over for initial visits. It doesn't really tell you what is happening, but makes u aware to look for things and pay close attention. I understand she already has an underlying problem so It may not apply. Food for thought. Hope u find some answers, hang in there.
    theres abit of a step down out of the shed they sleep in and she squeals everytime she steps down and with winter not too far away i cant imagine its going to help her much.

lifes a fvcker sometimes

I hate moments like this. It just plain sucks as there is nothing we can do or say to lessen the hurt that is coming your way. Some may say for frick sake dude it's just a mongrel get over it, but for pet owners it's your child and no amount of posturing is going to make it any easier to pull the plug on her life. I don't know if I could be there when the dose is administered to put her to sleep. Those attachments we make with our pets is extremely strong.

theres abit of a step down out of the shed they sleep in and she squeals everytime she steps down and with winter not too far away i cant imagine its going to help her much.

lifes a fvcker sometimes
    yeah when that started happening I had to start bringing him out front, where there were less steps. It only sidestepped one obstacle out of many. Winter is a fvcker on my body. I can imagine it's gonna be bothersome on her also. I suppose medicate and it's quantity of life, opposed to quality of life. Subjecting her to so many tests with no great answers makes her such a lab rat and probably a mindfvck for you and her.

Blog Entries
    yeah when that started happening I had to start bringing him out front, where there were less steps. It only sidestepped one obstacle out of many. Winter is a fvcker on my body. I can imagine it's gonna be bothersome on her also. I suppose medicate and it's quantity of life, opposed to quality of life. Subjecting her to so many tests with no great answers makes her such a lab rat and probably a mindfvck for you and her.
    yeah, this has been ongoing for almost a year now, 1st the arthritis, then major spinal surgery to clean and fuse discs and now bloods arent right. i just cant afford or want to put the poor thing through anymore, i know in the back of my head its going to be another major surgery on her shoulders and the low red and white blood cell thing can be from anaemia to failing organs, cancer or internal bleeding. poor thing has just been hit with a multitude of ailments over the past 12mths

I hate moments like this. It just plain sucks as there is nothing we can do or say to lessen the hurt that is coming your way. Some may say for frick sake dude it's just a mongrel get over it, but for pet owners it's your child and no amount of posturing is going to make it any easier to pull the plug on her life. I don't know if I could be there when the dose is administered to put her to sleep. Those attachments we make with our pets is extremely strong.
    My sis put my mothers dog down and didn't stay. To this day she regrets it. I stayed with mine, it was painful but I was at least there to comfort him and let him know he wasn't alone. He could still smell me, feel my warm touch and hear my soothing voice just before he went to sleep. The vet left the room gave privacy as long as I needed. So it was damn hurtful to do. The pain stays for awhile but regret will last longer.

yeah, this has been ongoing for almost a year now, 1st the arthritis, then major spinal surgery to clean and fuse discs and now bloods arent right. i just cant afford or want to put the poor thing through anymore, i know in the back of my head its going to be another major surgery on her shoulders and the low red and white blood cell thing can be from anaemia to failing organs, cancer or internal bleeding. poor thing has just been hit with a multitude of ailments over the past 12mths
    Oh man Dec that doesn't sound good. You have already made the right decision. The internal stuff alone has just sold me, who knows how much that bugger is hurting. I think she should have some stronger pain meds than tramadol, just for the short term, until you can bring her in. Maybe they can give u something stronger if they know u gonna bring her in soon when u can. Sh*t that really sucks man.
    You already know the answer to this guy. Just too hard to accept it. Hopefully you can keep her comfortable until u can get her in. Cook her you favorite dish, some rare steak. Maybe even a lil of your fav. beer. It will make u feel better to spoil her.
    Last edited by PitMaster; 08-02-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added

Blog Entries
    Oh man Dec that doesn't sound good. You have already made the right decision. The internal stuff alone has just sold me, who knows how much that bugger is hurting. I think she should have some stronger pain meds than tramadol, just for the short term, until you can bring her in. Maybe they can give u something stronger if they know u gonna bring her in soon when u can. Sh*t that really sucks man.
    You already know the answer to this guy. Just too hard to accept it. Hopefully you can keep her comfortable until u can get her in. Cook her you favorite dish, some rare steak. It will make u feel better to spoil her.
    she is due in tomorrow again for yet more testing, thats why im thinking that i should just phone the vet and consider having her put to sleep. i needed to ask for opinions cos i didnt know if i was doing the right thing

Sounds like your doing the right thing guy. Has your vet even mentioned letting her go? If not I would be leary of them.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like your doing the right thing guy. Has your vet even mentioned letting her go? If not I would be leary of them.
    he did say when she had the cervical op in jan that it would be something i should consider if her quality of life didnt improve

Yeah man, spoil her and have a heart to heart. It's so tough. I know u have a heavy heart, but your making the best decision.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Sorry to hear it Dec.. Its a hard situation
    I had to put down my dog of 14 yrs last yr.. Tore me apart man, I'm not an emotional person, but it definitely broke me down. I cared for that dog like it was my own child and it was definitely one of the harder things I had to do. She started losing mobility in her back legs and developing tumors fast. It got to the point where she could no longer walk or even stand on her own. Took her to the vet numerous times and spent loads of $ and there was nothing more they could do. So we ended up having to make an appt to put her down. Took her out that morning for a nice long boat ride (her favorite activity), gave her her favorite meal and treats and brought her in.
    Definitely hard man, but it was best for her...

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm a huge animal lover Dec, and any advice given by people here will be easier for them to dispense because they are not in your situation.

12 years and up is considered quite old for a cat or a dog, and if old age is catching up to her and compromising her way of life, are you simply prolonging her suffering? Look at it this way, imagine if you were kept in your home the last 7 months, and you barely left the place, and even the most mundane of tasks were agony...how would you feel? Again, it's easy for me to say this, as im not the one in your situation and if it were me, I wouldn't want to put one of my pets down so easily.

I remember years back having this big black cat called Boot. He was a real blokes cat, a bit of a scrapper and loved the attention of people. In the end, he was 14 years old and his back legs stopped working. It was heartbreaking to see a once, strong animal, look so weak and miserable. We didn't have any choice but to end his suffering and I had to leave the vets via back, I was in pieces that much.

It will be very, very hard to do, but if your dogs quality of life is being severely compromised, I think you need to do what is best for your dog.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    I'm a huge animal lover Dec, and any advice given by people here will be easier for them to dispense because they are not in your situation.

12 years and up is considered quite old for a cat or a dog, and if old age is catching up to her and compromising her way of life, are you simply prolonging her suffering? Look at it this way, imagine if you were kept in your home the last 7 months, and you barely left the place, and even the most mundane of tasks were agony...how would you feel? Again, it's easy for me to say this, as im not the one in your situation and if it were me, I wouldn't want to put one of my pets down so easily.

I remember years back having this big black cat called Boot. He was a real blokes cat, a bit of a scrapper and loved the attention of people. In the end, he was 14 years old and his back legs stopped working. It was heartbreaking to see a once, strong animal, look so weak and miserable. We didn't have any choice but to end his suffering and I had to leave the vets via back, I was in pieces that much.

It will be very, very hard to do, but if your dogs quality of life is being severely compromised, I think you need to do what is best for your dog.
    yeah its fvckn horrible, i wish i had the cash just incase theres an outside chance she could be sorted. our pets have cost us big this year, our pixiebob tom had to have an eye operation costing 1000 at the start of the year, he isnt covered as hes a hybrid cat, our female pixiebob took some sort of fit in the early hours afew w'ends ago, that was 200 emergency call out and the dog has run into almost 1500. i dont begrudge spending on my pets and would do anything for them but unfortunately they've cleaned us out this year, i was out of work for 3mths also which didnt help.

Even if you did pay for extending her life with quality living, it would not be for long more than likely.
    So please take yourself off the hook.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Even if you did pay for extending her life with quality living, it would not be for long more than likely.
    So please take yourself off the hook.
    yeah, god knows what abuse she was inflicted with when she was being used for breeding, the poor things teets havent even ascended since, apparently she had boxer cross pups and the puppy farming cvnt twigged a boxer must have 'got at her'. he just lashed her into the pound and the dalmatian society took her on and thats where i rescued her from. she didnt even have a name and if you lifted your hand out of your pocket she immediately lay down and closed her eyes, took three years for her to loss that fear. i just wonder if her problems now come from being beat and too many litters of pups?

ive decided its going to be best to put her to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    I'm a huge animal lover Dec, and any advice given by people here will be easier for them to dispense because they are not in your situation. 12 years and up is considered quite old for a cat or a dog, and if old age is catching up to her and compromising her way of life, are you simply prolonging her suffering? Look at it this way, imagine if you were kept in your home the last 7 months, and you barely left the place, and even the most mundane of tasks were agony...how would you feel? Again, it's easy for me to say this, as im not the one in your situation and if it were me, I wouldn't want to put one of my pets down so easily.

Maybe I'm just be being oversensitive about what u said. This is by no means an easy subject and I personally may not be in Dec's situation. I would not speak about such a thing or try to give any form of advice on such a matter unless I had been in a sh*tty situation that has similar feelings and circumstances involved. None of which I dispense out easily. I can definitely relate to the turmoil that this man is going through and has gone through.

yeah, god knows what abuse she was inflicted with when she was being used for breeding, the poor things teets havent even ascended since, apparently she had boxer cross pups and the puppy farming cvnt twigged a boxer must have 'got at her'. he just lashed her into the pound and the dalmatian society took her on and thats where i rescued her from. she didnt even have a name and if you lifted your hand out of your pocket she immediately lay down and closed her eyes, took three years for her to loss that fear. i just wonder if her problems now come from being beat and too many litters of pups?

ive decided its going to be best to put her to sleep
    Very fortunate for her that you was able to get her out of that situation and give her the good life Dec. I know your doing it soon, your in my thoughts.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Sorry to hear that Dec11
    I grew up always having dogs, cats, horses and other animals. Ive seen my share of dogs and cats come and go. Ive shed several tears over the years from loosing a pet but one thing, I have also always kept it in perspective. It's still a dog or cat. People say it's like their kid. No it's not, if it really is that's sick. I have lost a wife. I have lost a nephew who was 10, I have lost my dad and I will loose my mom in the next few weeks or months. Dogs and cats dont need cancer treatment. they need put out of their misery. It's only another scam to separate people from their money using emotions instead of logic.

I'm not trying to minimize your feelings or decision. I'm only trying to help put some perspective on things. When emotions are involved most of the time people do foolish things that can have long lasting effects.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 08-03-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    it's a pet, not a child. time to say goodbye....

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Nice.

Sorry for your loss, Dec. But you did the right thing putting her down. It's never easy losing a family member.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    my dog is my child. He is better then a kid

I know TR but when you don't have kids, man you can get really attached to an animal substitute and spoil them as if they are your child. so when it comes to losing it, or having to put it down, it can be a very emotional thing. My B/F and I broke up a while back and we were only together 3 years and I'm still not over him, so I can imagine all those years with a loved pet would be much worse. But after everything I went through with him, I now wish that I had gotten a pet instead. And no not for what your mind may think. Homie doesn't do beastiality. Besides we are talking about Dec and his loss here. Dec all I can say at this point is don't work that day and clear your entire days schedule and just buy a bottle and stay home and get drunk for that day. It will help you through that first days emotional loss. It would help also to have an understanding friend around then too, and since you are straight then make sure she is female. Getting drunk and laid will probably be the furthest thing from your mind at the time but hey it couldn't hurt.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I know TR but when you don't have kids, man you can get really attached to an animal substitute and spoil them as if they are your child. so when it comes to losing it, or having to put it down, it can be a very emotional thing. My B/F and I broke up a while back and we were only together 3 years and I'm still not over him, so I can imagine all those years with a loved pet would be much worse. But after everything I went through with him, I now wish that I had gotten a pet instead. And no not for what your mind may think. Homie doesn't do beastiality. Besides we are talking about Dec and his loss here. Dec all I can say at this point is don't work that day and clear your entire days schedule and just buy a bottle and stay home and get drunk for that day. It will help you through that first days emotional loss. It would help also to have an understanding friend around then too, and since you are straight then make sure she is female. Getting drunk and laid will probably be the furthest thing from your mind at the time but hey it couldn't hurt.
    I get the pet thing, to an extent. Had to put my daughters cat down. Had him for 9 years? wasn't easy, I know. Maybe I don't bond with animals as strongly as some do is all i can think. But then again, I raised cute fluffy white bunnies with pink eyes..... and ate em.

I get the pet thing, to an extent. Had to put my daughters cat down. Had him for 9 years? wasn't easy, I know. Maybe I don't bond with animals as strongly as some do is all i can think. But then again, I raised cute fluffy white bunnies with pink eyes..... and ate em.

Whoops Wrong Bunny...I'll try again...

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    damn dec11, sorry to hear that. i say do what you feel is right. it is not an easy thing to do. my parents dog is going on 12 and he is going blind. it sucks to see him bump into stuff but other than that, he is healthy. it is hard to let a close pet go, we had to put our golden retriever away, he was 15. and Times Roman, pets are like kids, except they listen way better!!!! good luck in whatever your decision is

Blog Entries
    well ive spoken to the vet and hes putting her to sleep 2mro evening, he said he was going to ask me to consider this anyway as the op on her shoulders would have been a long hard recovery for her.

thank you very much to all for the advice and kind words, very much appreciated.

My heart is with you and your baby girl, Dec.
    Author Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information