toddy is offline Junior Member

the big look is out

Is it just me or have you all noticed the big look is out. More people are looking for the lean/hard look than the size. I can't stand those assholes in the gym that are about 250lbs with about 20% bodyfat that think they're bodybuilders. I am starting to respect the smaller dudes that are
    ripped a hell of a lot more than the fat power lifters. I am to the point where I really don't give two shits how much weight I or everyone else is
    pushing but am more interested in the conditioning side of bodybuilding,
    with higher reps, less rest, and cardio. I've got guys in my gym that are
    repping 315 on the bench that look like absolute shit. Or how bout the
    240lb guy that doesn't think he's big enough so he gets on a dbol /test/deca cycle and ends up looking like a fatass with chipmunk cheeks. When are these dudes gonna wake up and realize that its not cool and the girls don't dig the bloated look?

Paul1200 is offline New Member
    Hey i think exactly the same as you. I am 6'2 200 lbs and it has taken me along time to put on this weight i only weighed 145lbs 3 years ago. THis summer and from now on i could care less about how much i weigh or how much i can bench. I just wanna look good and get ripped. Everyone wants to get HUGE!!! I was like that too but in the long run it doesnt pay off. YOur gonna be a fatass then. So i totally agree with you and give you propps for telling it how it is. Paul

Billmister is offline Member
    you are totally right. I agree with you one that. I give my respect to a guy to is big and has shape in his body. Meaning you can acually see the seperation in the 2 chest. That just look fit. all i wanted to do before it look big, bloat and all. Then (now) i look at things diffently and just want to gain quality muscles, looking fit. And i know what your talking about. Some guys at my gym who have huge arms, but it all looks like fat. well that's my opinion. But to each his own opinion. Sometimes those fat people might be in a off season. Like trying to get as fat and big as possible to they can gain muscles and cut it up later on. Ex: Lee priest. Off season lookes a bit like shit... ROnnie Coleman, looks like a fat piece of shit off season. but def look way better when they have less fat.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on what your goals are. Not everyone wants to be ripped. Some of us train for strength.

D

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Depends on what your goals are. Not everyone wants to be ripped. Some of us train for strength.

D
    Agreed, it is all a personal preference. IMO cut size is what matters. I think a 7-8% BF looks best were some people like the 4% look. It is all what you like.

Pain

mammoth is offline Member
    Big look is out? I haven't noticed your observation personally. I am 285 lbs at 20% so does that make me an asshole. I can't maintain a 10% bf when I am bulking. Also I am married and could care less what women think. There has always been a seperation amongst the fitness gurus and the big bears! There always will be! Alot of those so-called "fat" guys are fat for a reason. For bulking purposes it is not practical to try and stay lean while bulking. Its practically impossible in most cases. When bodybuilders bulk they eat like a horse. Anybody who trains in order to sculpt there body can be considered a bodybuilder, so please don't knock the big bulky guys, and ESPECIALLY the powerlifters!

Originally posted by mammoth
    ESPECIALLY the powerlifters!

Hell yeah!

D

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    You can knock me I dont enjoy being 285 @ 20% im just not ready too cut yet...

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The Big look will never be out. He who dies needing the biggest casket wins.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    out huh? i've never met a builder yet who cared what the "style" was...it was all about drive, knowledge, intensity, and goals.....but maybe that's just the guys i know

Originally posted by Rickson
    He who dies needing the biggest casket wins.
    I like that one bro.

D

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    Since when did I do all of this shit because of what girls thought? I think perhaps you priorities are screwed. I do this for me, 20% bodyfat or not. I can give a shit what a 145lb 7% bf kid thinks. I'm 230 at probably 20%, and I that's fine by me for now. I'd rather be big and a little soft than skinny and ripped. Go Eminem! LOL

BIG-G is offline Banned
    I for one disagree with this 'big look being out'!!! For starter who in the blue hell cares what some female thinks about me or you being too big. Just find one that likes the "big look". I Personally HATE the cut look! So this is a matter of personal preference and goals NOT style and gettin ass my friend!

BIG-G

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Rickson
    The Big look will never be out. He who dies needing the biggest casket wins.

Exactly!!!! Now don't get me wrong, it's all in oersonal preference. See there's an image in my head that I want to achieve. yung wun says it best " I only compete with myself"

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    i think people who want to be HUGE dont care whats in
    or out, besides they dont fit into most fashines or
    so called "in look" that the 140lb models do.

just my.02

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by hercules88
    ever see a bodybuilder in the off season??????????????????
    All I can think of right now are those damn hydroxcut adds with Lee Priest eating fried chicken at about 20% BF. hahaha

Pain

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    i understand, id rather be under 12% bf with a lil less bulk than over. but to each his own...

palme is offline Rosie Member

Re: the big look is out

Originally posted by toddy
    Is it just me or have you all noticed the big look is out. More people are looking for the lean/hard look than the size. I can't stand those assholes in the gym that are about 250lbs with about 20% bodyfat that think they're bodybuilders. I am starting to respect the smaller dudes that are
    ripped a hell of a lot more than the fat power lifters. I am to the point where I really don't give two shits how much weight I or everyone else is
    pushing but am more interested in the conditioning side of bodybuilding,
    with higher reps, less rest, and cardio. I've got guys in my gym that are
    repping 315 on the bench that look like absolute shit. Or how bout the
    240lb guy that doesn't think he's big enough so he gets on a dbol/test/deca cycle and ends up looking like a fatass with chipmunk cheeks. When are these dudes gonna wake up and realize that its not cool and the girls don't dig the bloated look?
    As you said thats your preferences, dont knock us that have plans on being on stage. Try being at %4 year round and gain mass...and as someone said check out the pro´s when there not competing. If you want to look like brad pitt in fight club fine...i think he looks like a toothpick.

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    I think we can agree that bodybuilders and powerlifters are essentially after different things. Of course, there is nothing wrong with getting ridiculously fat so you can get huge and then diet down to 4-6% body fat. But I don't think bodybuilders are usually happy dieting down to 20%. 20% is fine as a means to an end. But most bodybuilders don't consider it an end. Powerlifting and bodybuilding are both cool. Its just a matter of perspective.

-SF

justme is offline Associate Member
    I do this for me, nobody else. <- period

Whats the purpose in adding a bunch of size and weight if you're not going to ever see the muscle underneath. And most bb's, have genetics
    that keep their bodyfat under 15% even when they are at the peak of bulk season. Lee Preist may be an exception. I am not talking about powerlifters, they have their place and they aren't bb's. Its the fat asses that try to intimidate with pure size that I am losing respect for.

superjew is offline Associate Member
    It's definitely a personal preference and varies greatly from person to person. I personally think Brad Pitt looks way too small while Ronnie Coleman is way too big. My ideal is somewhere right in the middle. Good luck to everyone on your personal goals!

New GearGuy is offline Associate Member
    I agree w/ Mammoth I'm 6'2" ,265 w/ 20+ % body fat .

DOnt really give a shit about weight or bodyfat. Just looking for strength.

But everyone has different goals ,gotta respect that.

peam is offline Suspended
    Originally posted by justme
    I do this for me, nobody else. <- period

Well, then you're doing it for the right reason... the only right reason. Maybe that's just how I think though.

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by toddy
    Whats the purpose in adding a bunch of size and weight if you're not going to ever see the muscle underneath. And most bb's, have genetics
    that keep their bodyfat under 15% even when they are at the peak of bulk season. Lee Preist may be an exception. I am not talking about powerlifters, they have their place and they aren't bb's. Its the fat asses that try to intimidate with pure size that I am losing respect for.
    I think you are missing the point here. Bodybuilders bulk then cut. When I decide that it is time to prepare for competition I will concentrate on cutting down to a low bf %. Until then I am going to stay "fat", as you would put it, so I can maximize my gains. You say that you aren't speaking about powerlifters yet you mention them specifically in your first post. I can personally say that in my gym it's the small guys that have the napoleon complex and think that they can intimidate because they have "some" definition. It's all good though because it is your opinion and as you can see it doesn't seem to be the majority. Why juice if all I want is definition? I can do that naturally!

Vice is offline Associate Member
    The guy that started this post is an idiot.....

sceptic13 is offline New Member
    As someone that now looks like a 'bodybuilder' with powerful traps/shoulders etc. having done some bulking cycles, I have to agree that the girls don't really like it. Some are curious but most are initially intimidated untill they get to know me. But if I am honest (and I think most bodybuilders would agree) my desire to be a bodybuilder and to look like a bodybuilder are because of a deep seated desire to look different, to set oneself apart, to rebel. One only has to look at the language in bodybuilding circles to see this is true. To say 'so and so' is a freak is to pay them the ultimate compliment!
    If I wanted to fit in, to be ordinary and to pander to the 'model-like' look popular in the movies I wouldn't be doing this shit!

I hear yah sceptic

jonesmeister is offline Junior Member

hell yeah

I love been big , as a person who started out at 18 yr old being 80 kg to now being 100kg (@5.7) , i love it , i love my traps bursting outta my t.shirt and my arms trying to burst out when im having a drink. oh man its great

Expendable is offline Associate Member
    I love being huge... last summer when I bulked up to 220lbs at 5 foot 7 inches, I felt like a king... people would stop me and tell me I was fuckin' huge. It was great. Since then however, I have had norwalk, been dieting and have been sick a couple more times this winter and am at a leaner 205 roughly.

I'm about to put on some serious size and revamp the whole look again. Life's too short to be small!

Expendable is offline Associate Member
    sceptic13, what you've said is so true. I find I had an easier time meeting girls at 150lbs several months after I started working out, as apposed to now... and I thought getting bigger meant getting all the chicks... definately not true.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    You know what everyones entitled to their own opinions.

Me personally I'm a powerlifter and proud of it and at 245+ around 13-15% bf I'm not worried about how I look.

I however have a problem with the skinny guys walking around the gym in their little sisters T-shirts thinking they're huge.

Also It tends to be people like you who cry about the "big look" is out because you probably can't put on any weight. Then cry "I'm a hardgainer" because you can't face the fact that you're not eating enough to put on any serious size.

Also the big guys work just as hard in the gym and in the kitchen if not harder than the little guys.

xxxl83

the little guys work hard too!!

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    I never said they didn't.

xxxl83

JP1570 is offline Senior Member

Re: Re: the big look is out

Originally posted by palme

As you said thats your preferences, dont knock us that have plans on being on stage. Try being at %4 year round and gain mass...and as someone said check out the pro´s when there not competing. If you want to look like brad pitt in fight club fine...i think he looks like a toothpick.
    Hey now, I wouldn't mind looking like brad Pitt. I'd hop right on a serious cycle and gain about 30 pounds, but I would still have Jennifer Anniston.

ANyway, I have similar goals to the post originator. respect it or not, at this point in my life, I wanna look good for the girls. I'm 6'2", 225 though, so I don't look like a toothpick. I respect the huge guys too - attaining your goals is always respectable.

Nico is offline Associate Member
    For me it depends on the seasons. I am 5,11 and for the Winter time Iove weighing around 230 feeling strong and full. But once April hits, its time to cut so i can be a lean 195-200lbs. I just love being in the gym and lifting and seeing changes throughout the year.

I used to be all concerned with size and strength. I am at a point now
    where I feel like the muscle I have put on is their to stay for the most
    part. I consider myself to have decent size and be in decent condition.
    I'm 5'10 and my weight varies from 190-210 and my bodyfat ranges from 7%to12%. As I mentioned in the original post I don't like the way I look when I put a bunch of weight on.Instead of concentrating on simply bulking up and putting weight on, I now work to harden and add fullness to the muscles. I spend multiple years just lifting heavy and eating a lot.
    I think too many lifters sacrifice form for weight. I now use lighter weights and totally concentrate on the muscle being targeted. If you look at the people in the gym that lift heavy, most of them aren't in the
    best shape.

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    JUST IN HOTT OFF THE PRESS......THE BIG LOOK IS BACK....LOL

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    LOL!!! Why am I always the last to know?!?!!

durbin22 is offline Member
    This is news to me.

Thread Information