lil_herc81 is offline Member

Anyone have a turbo bmw? (non factory)

I should have my 3 series back in a couple weeks and im trying to get an idea of what to expect from the turbo.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    nope. Seen a few active auto werke tuned my 3 series.
    What turbo did you do?
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I think you can expect to have some serious fun?

My next Harley, I'm going to throw a blower on there, so that should be pretty cool

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I think you can expect to have some serious fun?

My next Harley, I'm going to throw a blower on there, so that should be pretty cool
    isnt that what sitting behind you
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_herc81 View Post
    I should have my 3 series back in a couple weeks and im trying to get an idea of what to expect from the turbo.
    what spec is it and what turbo went into her and boost is it going to be running?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    isnt that what sitting behind you

Grasshopper,
    the blower YOU are referring to does nothing for the performance of the machine.
    It only benefits the performance of the operator of the machine. =)

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    nope. Seen a few active auto werke tuned my 3 series.
    What turbo did you do?
    A guy I used to run around the streets with back in the day worked at AAW and had a turbo E36 M3. It sounded cool but it was slow as balls. He'd regularly get beat up on by the stripped out Civics and Integras. He ended up selling it and getting a Supra.

He worked there so I'm sure he got the wholesale discount on parts, so it might have been worth it for him. I can just imagine what that kit would cost for a retail customer though.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    A guy I used to run around the streets with back in the day worked at AAW and had a turbo E36 M3. It sounded cool but it was slow as balls. He'd regularly get beat up on by the stripped out Civics and Integras. He ended up selling it and getting a Supra.

He worked there so I'm sure he got the wholesale discount on parts, so it might have been worth it for him. I can just imagine what that kit would cost for a retail customer though.
    it must not have been set up correctly, a standard M3 would blow the bollocks off civics and integras unless they had serious work done to them

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    I'd have to agree with decster there on that too. Unless the ITR's and CTR's where big turbo cars too I can't see them keeping with a M3 past 100mph.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Agree with Dec, a stock M3 is pretty potent. An M3 with a properly tuned turbo should be pretty insane.

OP, not sure what to fully expect either, but if you're in So Cal we can put it to the test. I've encountered a few M3's, but I don't think any of them were running turbos or SC's.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    it must not have been set up correctly, a standard M3 would blow the bollocks off civics and integras unless they had serious work done to them
    Well a lot of the Civic and Integras that would come out and go up against cars like turbo M3s did have serious work done. However, my friend's M3 did have quite a few problems, not the least of which was it leaking boost pretty much all the time.

I have doubts about the viability of forced induction systems on older BMWs, I never saw one (supercharged or otherwise) that didn't have a myriad of problems. The newer BMWs will probably fare better as BMW seems quite thrilled with putting turbos on a lot of their newer models, the engines are probably designed with some inherent boost handling features.

Keep in mind I'm referring to the E36 M3, this was 3 generations ago.
    Last edited by Nooomoto; 12-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.

DCI
    Well if it was leaking boost etc then it wasn't running right and probably would have been down on power than factory set up. I've been in a 330ci with an SC before it was quick but it was only slightly faster than a standard M3 I'd know where I'd be spending my money if I knew that was going to happen after all that heart ache of modding etc.

I'd say a lot of the Civics and tegs if they are the EK9 and DC2 shape ones would have engine conversions on them or even a conversion and some forced induction also ye americans are mental when it comes to modding civics etc. I have seen a E46 over here with an SC conversion on it and it was running 490bhp and there is a E90 over here with an ESS sc running close on 550bhp they been reliable but then it wasn't a cheap conversion to begin with so it would want to run right.

Yeah these Civics were barely cars. Most of them were running B18C1s or B18C5s, even a few H22s. Stripped out, all that. I once even saw a guy with no windows/windshield or lights hahahaha, fastest Honda I ever saw on the street. The thing is, especially here in Miami (very easy to source desirable Honda engines here), if you know what you are doing and doing the work yourself or with friends, you can build a really fast Honda for around 6k including the cost of the car. It won't be nice and pretty but it will run hard.

DCI
    Buddy of mine has a stripped EG6 he built himself serious work he did to it to be fair. It started off as a non vtec runaround.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2528212

He even painted it himself. He's not a trained mech or anything but learned everything himself very quick car to be fair but I can't fit in the seats lol they were made for small Japanse people I'm about 3 inchs too wide lol hilarious when you sit into it. Very hard on the road as you said with no interior etc but it's a cool car to cruise around in.

Blog Entries
    Well a lot of the Civic and Integras that would come out and go up against cars like turbo M3s did have serious work done. However, my friend's M3 did have quite a few problems, not the least of which was it leaking boost pretty much all the time.

I have doubts about the viability of forced induction systems on older BMWs, I never saw one (supercharged or otherwise) that didn't have a myriad of problems. The newer BMWs will probably fare better as BMW seems quite thrilled with putting turbos on a lot of their newer models, the engines are probably designed with some inherent boost handling features.

Keep in mind I'm referring to the E36 M3, this was 3 generations ago.
    even still, its a fast car standard mate. ny old fiat coupe had boost leaak once and it absolutely killed its performance

Yeah way back in the day I had a 2001 Integra Type-R. The head was fully built with Skunk 2 cams and internals, etc etc. I left the suspension stock...I mean it's a Type-R. Had a lot of fun in that car. I miss the car, but now that I'm older I wouldn't be so fond of the constant droning from the exhaust. Getting old sucks!

Blog Entries
    Yeah these Civics were barely cars. Most of them were running B18C1s or B18C5s, even a few H22s. Stripped out, all that. I once even saw a guy with no windows/windshield or lights hahahaha, fastest Honda I ever saw on the street. The thing is, especially here in Miami (very easy to source desirable Honda engines here), if you know what you are doing and doing the work yourself or with friends, you can build a really fast Honda for around 6k including the cost of the car. It won't be nice and pretty but it will run hard.
    ive had afew vtecs, they can be left very fast no doubt

DCI
    The noise gets boring after a while because all what it is a noise. Wereas something like a V6 Alfa or an M powered car the noise is something to enjoy and it's a high strung pitch comparing it to a vtec engine etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    The noise gets boring after a while because all what it is a noise. Wereas something like a V6 Alfa or an M powered car the noise is something to enjoy and it's a high strung pitch comparing it to a vtec engine etc.
    Yeah my 06 M5 is definitely fun, just fun in a different way. Americans like to drag race everything for some reason, many don't understand that different cars are built for different things. As cheap as M5's are now though (used) I don't see why anyone would bother with buying a new M3.

DCI
    Drag racing is pretty boring to be honest. Buddy of mine had a M5 like your's until the full drive train gave up the ghost lol. Was 15k to repair but luckilly he got it on the warrunty. He decided to sell it after that. Was a viscious car to move though nothing this side of a turbo porsche would keep up with it to be fair and the sound was spectacular.

Drag racing is pretty boring to be honest. Buddy of mine had a M5 like your's until the full drive train gave up the ghost lol. Was 15k to repair but luckilly he got it on the warrunty. He decided to sell it after that. Was a viscious car to move though nothing this side of a turbo porsche would keep up with it to be fair and the sound was spectacular.
    Yeah, I've read about quite a few complete engine failures on the M5 board...thats why I don't daily drive mine!

Blog Entries
    yeah and a stainless exhaust off the vtec is a constant annoying drone, it was grand when i was 21 but it'd fvckin drive me insane now lol

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Grasshopper,
    the blower YOU are referring to does nothing for the performance of the machine.
    It only benefits the performance of the operator of the machine. =)
    Which is very poor given the age of the operator

DCI
    Yeah, I've read about quite a few complete engine failures on the M5 board...thats why I don't daily drive mine!
    Yeh there has been a few over here that I know of too. They seem to eb random enough when they do fail which is a strange one to be honest.

yeah and a stainless exhaust off the vtec is a constant annoying drone, it was grand when i was 21 but it'd fvckin drive me insane now lol
    Lol, yeh they don't seem to be able to tune any of the exhausts to be quiet at cruising speed revs which is weird. As my buddies GTA is nice and quiet at cruising speeds and loud when you hammer it which is cool. Cos any engine at one rev is very annoying after a while.

Blog Entries
    jesus, those engines are usually bullet proof it maintained properly. what you dont hear about on these failure threads is the fact that most of the dopes who had them no nothing about checking oil etc

Blog Entries
    Yeh there has been a few over here that I know of too. They seem to eb random enough when they do fail which is a strange one to be honest.

Lol, yeh they don't seem to be able to tune any of the exhausts to be quiet at cruising speed revs which is weird. As my buddies GTA is nice and quiet at cruising speeds and loud when you hammer it which is cool. Cos any engine at one rev is very annoying after a while.
    yeah my coop was a nice burble when cruising and sounded similar to a scoob when caned

DCI
    The E60 M5 engine isn't all that reliable from what I have been reading. Sure they even come with oil in the boot as they know they burn it. My buddies one would burn a decent bit of oil every 1k miles you'd have to be checking it reg enough like. The older V8 engines in the M5's are better to be fair. There is an awful lot of tech to go wrong in the E60 hence there is more failures. But then I know of a lad in cork that has a E39 M5 with 110k miles and had to rebuild the whole engine.

Due to the head's begining to wear out which was a mad one.

The coops sound mint and are bloodly quick I want one to be honest

lil_herc81 is offline Member
    Ouch, thats not what I want to hear stacks later...lol. I hope the e-46 responds better for my sake.

Blog Entries
    in saying that, my dad has a 2008 s2000gt, the 247hp model and its a diff senario, you wouldnt tire of the exhaust note. fvckin thing sounds like a big bike revvin up!!

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    in saying that, my dad has a 2008 s2000gt, the 247hp model and its a diff senario, you wouldnt tire of the exhaust note. fvckin thing sounds like a big bike revvin up!!
    I believe those things rev to 8 or 9 rpms..freaking high...I loved driving my buddies (only did it one time)

I am corvette guy myself

DCI
    I've never heard of one of them revved up high to be honest cool looking cars if when they first came out a bit skittish haha.

Thread Information