DanB is offline Banned

Problem sleeping and melatonin, does it work????

I have big problems sleeping and at this stage i'm sick of it, the only thing that worked in the past is perscription sleeping tablets which contain benzos, i'm very reluctant to go back on these because I was on them long term previously and you become addicted to them, it ain't nice. At this stage i'm thinking melatonin may help but really i'm just clutching at straws trying to avoid going back on the benzos, has anybody had any results or anything positive to say about melatonin? I was told previously that ambien will work but this or anything similar isn't available in Ireland, there is virtually nothing OTC, any input? Thanks
    Last edited by DanB; 01-22-2012 at 07:59 PM.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i feel like melatonin has helped me out, it seems to take some time to create good sleep habits but the melatonin seems to be the one thing that worked pretty good without any sides......that I know of anyway. I take some wally world version 5mg pills, one before bedtime.

DanB is offline Banned
    and how long have you been on it for? you say no sides that you know of, well thats what im wanting to hear, but have you ever mised a night and if so, could you sleep?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I take Gaba about an hour before bed and then 3mgs of melatonin at bedtime.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

yea, it's hit and miss but for the most part I stay fairly steady with it. Been using it for over 6 months now. When I get lazy or forget I don't really notice any difference that I would call appreciable, for me I believe it helps me keep good sleep patterns as much as anything, I feel like I'm ready for bed after taking it but it's not a drowsy feeling like sleep aids give you.

DanB is offline Banned
    thanks i was just ordered some there, its dirt cheap so its worth a shot, thanks for the input and slimmer how much gaba? ive read that it is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream but has problems crossing the ''blood-brain barrier'' and obscene doses are needed for it to reach brain, but do you think it is helping alongside the melatonin

DanB is offline Banned
    slimmer, im thinking that now if there is even slightest chance it may help i think i will just order it aswell because again its dirt cheap, so would you recommend it then yeah?
    Last edited by DanB; 01-22-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    thanks i was just ordered some there, its dirt cheap so its worth a shot, thanks for the input and slimmer how much gaba? ive read that it is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream but has problems crossing the ''blood-brain barrier'' and obscene doses are needed for it to reach brain, but do you think it is helping alongside the melatonin
    750 mgs of GABA

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    slimmer, im thinking that now if there is even slightest chance it may help i think i will just order it aswell because again its dirt cheap, so would you recommend it then yeah?
    I like it. It helps to calm me down a bit and then I take that calmness to another level with the Melatonin. Now mind you it is not like a knock you out kind of thing. Just a slow sweet time to go to bed feeling.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Author Unknown

DanB is offline Banned
    thanks slimmer, its been a pleasure as always

^^ you are welcome Dan. The pleasure is mine.

nite nite~
    Author Unknown

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Best thing to do is notice your sleeping patterns. We have cycles were we get sleepy...and if you don't stop what you are doing when you get tired...you will miss your sleep cycle. When that happens....you body will tend to stay away for another 2-3 hours or more....until the brain stops workin.

Bezo's and Gaba both slow down the conduction pulses between the brain and nervous system.

Try hitting the sack the same time, every night. Helps me!

Vettester is offline Banned
    Melatonin is good stuff. You should give it a try and find out if it works for you.

Hitman Heimler is offline Junior Member
    It's cheaper than other alternatives, as I know a lot of people who believe in it. You could always get your hands on some Nyquil That always puts me to sleep; sometimes too long though. Whatever dose the bottle recommends, that will be the minnimum dose. I would experiment with more than recommended.

DanB is offline Banned
    vetteman yeah i ordered it earlier, it should arrive in a couple days, 3mg tablets so im going to start at 3mg a night and increase if necessary and ill bump the thread in a few weeks with an update,

and tcw admittedly i could have a better routine so to speak i know i need to work on it but i hate lying in the bed feeling tired but wide awake (if that makes sense), i need to get into a solid structure and ill throw in some gaba for good measure after a couple weeks so i can assess how the melatonin effects me first,

thanks everyone for the input
    Last edited by DanB; 01-22-2012 at 11:03 PM.

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Heimler View Post
    It's cheaper than other alternatives, as I know a lot of people who believe in it. You could always get your hands on some Nyquil That always puts me to sleep; sometimes too long though. Whatever dose the bottle recommends, that will be the minnimum dose. I would experiment with more than recommended.
    on the nyquil, there is a similar otc cough medicine available over here, but its more of a drowsy knocked out kind of sleep which is what im trying to avoid as its not a good idea for me to take something like that every night for various reasons

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm in the same boat. Actually my insurance company stopped covering my sleep aids (ambien) that they have covered for the last 10 years so now I'm trying to rely on melatonin also to see if it helps. I have used it before but never regularly, we will see.

My other problem is there is not way for me to have a sleep pattern since I work nights 4 days a week one week and 3 days (nights) the next so it means I try to sleep at nights on my days off. Confusing.

DanB is offline Banned
    i feel your pain mate, its horrible and im my own worst enemy when im left to lie there and think

ive read some good things about it so fingers crossed it will help both of us a lil
    Last edited by DanB; 01-22-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Yeah working nights has it's + & -. Pay is good, no management, you have the day free to get things done if you need to and working 12 hr shift I get 3 days off one week and 4 the next.
    Negative is the first day back to work I'm DEAD tired all night. To many cat naps.... Cant sleep during the day sometimes. First day off work sometimes is spent sleeping all day + all night so it's a waste or you are up for 24-48 hrs straight. I do this at least 1x a month. It has been proven that working night even if everything is equal with days, working 5 days a week, 40 hrs a week, 8 hrs a day and you sleep good you have a life expectancy of -5-7 years vs working days.

My sleep is FAR from being what it should be so I'm probably 10-15 years off. Yes I"m keeping up on my life insurance. The family will be pretty alright. LOL

Sailor Moon is offline Female Member
    Sleepytime Tea by Celestial seasonings. I drink it whenever I feel restless. So good. 100% herbal and all natural!

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    3mgs every night and I've never had any further issues. Great stuff and I highly recommend it. Best of luck Dan

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Moon
    Sleepytime Tea by Celestial seasonings. I drink it whenever I feel restless. So good. 100% herbal and all natural!
    funny you mention that. I drink it on occasion at work. It's the only kind of tea they stock in our break room. Kinda counter-intuitive on there part don't ya think? lol I do have to say it does help you relax though, sometimes too much

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    3mgs every night and I've never had any further issues. Great stuff and I highly recommend it. Best of luck Dan
    3mg? Mine are 5mg each and I have been taking 3 at a time 1-2hr before bed. I slept GOOD yesterday, only got 2hr max today.

DanB is offline Banned
    15mg really? I think it takes a couple of weeks to be fully effective, but everything I've read suggests 3mg is more than enough, are yours 5mg melatonin or 5mg of a potion contaning melatonin? Shit I hope I don't need that much because I could easily see it increasing over time to a crazy dose.

djdizzy is offline Associate Member
    I fall asleep fine but wake up many times during the night. I was taking 3mg Melatonin and didnt see much of a difference. i upped it to 6mg a few weeks ago and while I still wake up many times during the night I feel much more rested the next morning. I believe 5-10mg is where you start really seeing the benefits of it if you have sleeping problems.

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djdizzy View Post
    I fall asleep fine but wake up many times during the night. I was taking 3mg Melatonin and didnt see much of a difference. i upped it to 6mg a few weeks ago and while I still wake up many times during the night I feel much more rested the next morning. I believe 5-10mg is where you start really seeing the benefits of it if you have sleeping problems.
    Interesting, I'll keep this in mind when it arrives, thanks for the input

Sailor Moon is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    funny you mention that. I drink it on occasion at work. It's the only kind of tea they stock in our break room. Kinda counter-intuitive on there part don't ya think? lol I do have to say it does help you relax though, sometimes too much
    yea that is weird!! why would they put that in a break room!? dum dums! haha

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    3mg? Mine are 5mg each and I have been taking 3 at a time 1-2hr before bed. I slept GOOD yesterday, only got 2hr max today.
    man that's a lot LB. Do you have weird dreams on this amount? I have heard too much causes nutty dreams....
    Author Unknown

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    man that's a lot LB. Do you have weird dreams on this amount? I have heard too much causes nutty dreams....
    Tren +5-htp cause some pretty messed up dreams. Ketotifen+prami+5-htp knocks me out so hard, trensomnia is not a factor.

I guess that is one side effect that I have noticed, dreams. Not all the time but sometimes it gets weird but I do sleep well when that happens.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    It worked for me for a time, then my body got used to it and I had to start using Ambian. I should give the melantonin another try though after reading some of the posts before I become dependent on Ambian.

Thread Information