DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Honoring Whitney Houston by lowering flag

Gov. Chris Christie sparked a national controversy with his decision to lower flags to half-staff in honor of pop singer Whitney Houston, who died Feb. 11.

This week Associated Press reported a Michigan man set the New Jersey flag on fire in protest of the governor's decision.
    Christie's office told the AP that the governor has ordered flags to be lowered for 31 servi***en and women, two first responders, six public officials and the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. The other two times were for Morristown High School baseball coach Harry Shatel and E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons, bringing the number of times the governor has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff to 42.

The Star-Ledger editorialized last week that Whitney Houston deserved at least the same recognition as Clarence Clemons, who died last year, and that the flag should be lowered in her honor. Numerous readers have expressed views on both sides of the issue. Two of those letters are reproduced below.
    Share your thoughts: Did the governor make the right choice ordering the flag to be lowered in honor of Whitney Houston?
    Honor her loss
    It is very sad that we lost the great singer Whitney Houston. Her tragic death saddens millions of people in the United States and around the world. Whitney Houston is a native of New Jersey. I personally support Gov. Chris Christie's decision to lower the U.S. flag in honor of this great singer from our own state.
    Taj Ahmad, Parlin
    Don’t lower the flag
    Gov. Chris Christie, who I support, is totally wrong to ask for our flag to be flown at half-staff for Whitney Houston. She was blessed with one of the best voices ever and we all loved her music, but she went down a path that we should not honor by illegally flying our flag. Please read below, taken from the rules of flag use at www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm
    "Section 7m of the Flag Code authorizes a governor to half-staff the U.S. flag upon the death of a present or former official of the government of the state, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that state who dies while serving on active duty."
    A recent change allows governors to order the flag to half-staff to honor fallen soldiers from their state (see Public Law 110-41). The change was the result of governor proclamations, like this one from Gov. Jennifer Granholm of Michigan.
    Some object to this extension of a governor's authority because they feel half-staffing the flag for every fallen soldier can be seen as anti-war. Some feel that overuse cheapens the symbolic power of half-staffing the flag, traditionally reserved for political leaders.

http://www.nj.com/njvoices/index.ssf...ton_by_lo.html

I think he was 100% WRONG in doing this.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    That fatass just wanted the publicity....
    I agree 100%.. it was wrong

djdizzy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I think he was 100% WRONG in doing this.
    Yup. as the article states: Some feel that overuse cheapens the symbolic power of half-staffing the flag, traditionally reserved for political leaders. I wish he could be fined for this dumb shit action.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous. She was a great singer, yes, absolutely. But she didn't change the world. And her death most likely had to do with drugs, i.e. she's no hero. I can understand this type of reaction for the death of John Lennon - somebody who DID change the world (or at least tried), and was assassinated.

PS - I grew up in Elizabeth, literally 15 mins from her hometown and the church she used to sing at in Newark. So I DO understand the local 'heroism', just not on a national (international?) level.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    she doesn't get any more honor from me than anyone else I don't know.

she had an incredible voice. period.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    she's been killing herself for 20 years with various drugs...and no one gave a shit about that until she was dead...and then when she croaks everyone loves her...silly...you can thank bobby brown

supersize me is offline Associate Member
    He should be publicly reprimanded for this. May as well lower it for every crackhead that dies because that's all she was.

bobawpsol is offline New Member
    Shes been using her entire life, dont feel sorry for her.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    As much as i loved WH...this honor should only be reserved for those who fought and died for this country.

RIP Whitney

Gov Christie ? ? ? (...well what do you expect?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4194001538.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	120527

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by juice-monkey-wannabe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4194001538.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	120527
    lmao
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

tcw
    How do you feel sorry for someone who's dead?

Quote Originally Posted by bobawpsol View Post
    Shes been using her entire life, dont feel sorry for her.

xelnaga is offline Banned
    RIP WhitneyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	oprah-winfrey1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	120528

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    she's been killing herself for 20 years with various drugs...and no one gave a shit about that until she was dead...and then when she croaks everyone loves her...silly...you can thank bobby brown
    I am not intending to start an argument by saying that plenty of people gave a shit. Fans, friends and family. More people than would care if any of us had an addiction. She was surrounded by people that tried to help.

Kennedy, MLK, John Lennon, Cobain, Hendrix, Morrison - they all had flaws, but also had an emotional effect on people. Certainly we all have public figures that we would take notice of if they died. The whole nation seemed to get upset when Gabby Giffords was shot...but they didn't know her, many had never heard of her, they just thought it was horrible.

I think it is OK to be saddened by a public figure AND soldiers dying. We can feel bad, for a few seconds, for all their friends and family that have to deal with the loss while we just read the headlines.

My attitudes are probably shaped by the fact that my father died recently. All death is painful to someone, and I feel bad for them.

Sorry about your pops JohnyV.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Great, so lets not lower our flags for the soldiers, sailors, marines & Airmen KIA in Iraq & Afghanistan and lower it for a cokehead who likely died from some form of drug and/or alcohol abuse.

Damn shame our politicians have clouded priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Great, so lets not lower our flags for the soldiers, sailors, marines & Airmen KIA in Iraq & Afghanistan and lower it for a cokehead who likely died from some form of drug and/or alcohol abuse.

It was confirmed tonight that she died of a combination of xanax , valium, and alcohol.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Well I wasnt too far off base now was I ? Not surprised one bit.

Julz_W is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post

Kennedy, MLK, John Lennon, Cobain, Hendrix, Morrison - they all had flaws, but also had an emotional effect on people. Certainly we all have public figures that we would take notice of if they died. The whole nation seemed to get upset when Gabby Giffords was shot...but they didn't know her, many had never heard of her, they just thought it was horrible.

I think it is OK to be saddened by a public figure AND soldiers dying. We can feel bad, for a few seconds, for all their friends and family that have to deal with the loss while we just read the headlines.
    A loss anywhere is a loss. She may not have been an impressive role model, but her life didn't lack contribution like some other celebs (*Cough* Snookie *Cough*) but maybe that might be a bit much for a person who could've died via OD without anyone being THAT surprised. That being said, nobody is harmed by the gesture, so let it go.

just my 2c.

My sympathies JV.
    Last edited by Julz_W; 02-23-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Cause of death confirmed.

Julz_W is offline Junior Member

I think there may be a political motivator behind it also - looking to be "empathic" with those who feel affected by the loss maybe?

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous. She was a great singer, yes, absolutely. But she didn't change the world. And her death most likely had to do with drugs, i.e. she's no hero. I can understand this type of reaction for the death of John Lennon - somebody who DID change the world (or at least tried), and was assassinated.

PS - I grew up in Elizabeth, literally 15 mins from her hometown and the church she used to sing at in Newark. So I DO understand the local 'heroism', just not on a national (international?) level.
    It's not too hard to look like a hero in Newark..all you have to do is avoid committing a felony and you're in like flinn!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    It's not too hard to look like a hero in Newark..all you have to do is avoid committing a felony and you're in like flinn!
    Lmfao! So true bro... stay outta jail = hero!!!

Sad but very true

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Paterson has even low standards- as long as you're not a child molester or serial killer- you're a swell guy.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100

You might have missed this part of the article:

Christie's office told the AP that the governor has ordered flags to be lowered for 31 servi***en and women, two first responders, six public officials and the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    Paterson has even low standards- as long as you're not a child molester or serial killer- you're a swell guy.
    no in paterson you can be one and be a good guy. Just not both.
    I lived in the next town over. I hated to drive through that dump

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    WTF is this country coming too?

I just saw on the news a guy in NH came home to find his house had been robbed. He looked out and saw the burgular climbing out of his neighbors window after robbing them. He got a gun , went out , fired it into the ground, held the guy at gunpoint till the cops arrived. He was arrested and charged. Are you kidding me???

Apparently now we now put the flag at half mast when a pop star dies.

There are some messed up ideals and priorities in this country. Its scary.....

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries

Im not quite sure what your on about but we have a National Holiday called Memorial Day - which honor all the men who have died in service of this country. Its an annual holiday ...the flags are all at half mast.

Im all for honoring our servi***en and I have nothing but respect for them and their sacrifices. However I notice on here lately that there seems to be this "we should kiss their ass they served in the middle east" mentalitiy. First of all they were in the service by choice - its their job. Second of all what the hell do you think the WW2 vets would say about all this pandering by former and current service men demanding recognition? How about the vietnam vets that recieved true disrespect when they returned home? Gimme a break. Instead of the US Marines maybe we should call them the US Martyrs ?

I agree about WH - its ridiculous - and a disgrace tro those that truely deserve the honor.
    However lets be real about what respect is paid for our fallen servi***en.
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 02-24-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

I agree.

The world these celebrities live in and the dumb people that follow them (mostly women that read shit like Heat, Tatler, etc) are completely self absorbed and removed from the rest of reality.

Why should these surprise any of you, when you only have to look at a newspaper and see that wannabes from the pop or reality TV show, dominate the headlines over real world issues.

tcw
    The shooter was a Republican...the perp was a Democrat. You can't shoot at a Democrat in NH...its the Law!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/23...lleged-robber/

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    WTF is this country coming too?

I just saw on the news a guy in NH came home to find his house had been robbed. He looked out and saw the burgular climbing out of his neighbors window after robbing them. He got a gun , went out , fired it into the ground, held the guy at gunpoint till the cops arrived. He was arrested and charged. Are you kidding me???

Apparently now we now put the flag at half mast when a pop star dies.

There are some messed up ideals and priorities in this country. Its scary.....
    Last edited by tcw; 02-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Thread Information