Thread: The Masters

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

The Masters

This probably belongs in the Sports forum but I want some honest opinions backed by reason and logic.

The Masters Golf Tournament kicked off this morning at 7am local time at historic Augusta National Gold Club. During the tournament, Martha Burke, the head of the "National Council of Womens Organizations" will be leading protest against the clubs "men only" policy, a policy that has been in place for over 70 years. Her contention is that the rule is discriminatory towards women. I would like to know what everybody thinks, especially the women of AR.

Here is what I think. I think female golfers are just as competent and just as skilled as male golfers. They may not have the driving distance (strength) but the skill and accuracy level is on par (no pun intended) with the top males golfers in the world. It is afterall a game of skill and finese and even though athleticism helps, accuracy and concentration are the main factors that lead to success on the links. Annika Sorenstam will prove me right next month when, for the first time ever, she (obviously a woman) will play in a mens PGA Tournament, and trust me, she will do exceptionally well. That being said, I personally rarely watch womens golf...but I did watch the match play event last year when Tiger and Annika took on Kari Webb and David Duval. However, do I think Augusta should change it's rules and allow women? No, and here is why.

It is a private golf club and should be able to impose any rulesand/or regulations it wishes. Just because it is one of the most famous Golf courses in the world does not mean it should be held to a different set of rules than any other privately run establismnet. For example, there and hundreds and hundreds and Women's only health clubs. I respect that and understand that some women prefer to workout in the company of their own. I have no problem at all with such establishments and in no way find them discriminatory. Maybe I'm over simplifying but I fail to see what the difference is. I invite all to comment, but please keep this civilized and well thought out.
    Last edited by Pete235; 04-11-2003 at 12:07 PM.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    I can't, and dont want to join a sorority. I dont want to join an all womens gym... well maybe to get access to the locker room :-)!

mammoth is offline Member
    I agree with you Pete. I would like to think that it is more of a compliment to women to have a "all male" club. The reason is that men like to act like men and most of the time men cannot do that in the company of women. So it provides the opportunity for men to be themselves without offending women. Martha Burke is simply doing this out of spite and in my book she is no better than the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. There are thousands of other executive courses available to women. If they are forced to open up there membership then they might as well start allowing women to play in the NFL and the NBA.

I just read an article on CNN that reports that Burk has virtually no support from anyone in her protest. Actually there are signs posted around town that support Hootie and are telling Martha to "Go Home". Also, businesses in the area are actually upset with Burk because they say that she has scared off alot of business. Apparrently Augusta is footing the entire bill this year so they can protect there corporate sponsors. As a result, Augusta has lost a reported 20 million. I think they should sue the NCWO for the loss in revenue.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I agree with you guys and on top of it all, she's chosen the worst time possible to be hogging up tv time. Let the masters alone, leave the club alone and for crying outloud, quit taking up time on tv, you're wrecking my baseball coverage!!!!

Originally posted by mnkc
    I agree with you guys and on top of it all, she's chosen the worst time possible to be hogging up tv time. Let the masters alone, leave the club alone and for crying outloud, quit taking up time on tv, you're wrecking my baseball coverage!!!!
    HeHe, You are one cool chick!

kc
    shhhh don't tell anybody

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a libertarian at heart, so I don't need to elaborate too much upon my position...actually, not at all for the time being.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    I'm also a Libertarian, I'm with you.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Who cares, they are just snobbs anyway. They came up with this "sport" cause they are to lazy to work up a sweat. Man these clubs are heavy, lets get a caddy!!! Damn we walk alot, we need a little golf car!!!
    I have nothing but hate for people like that and i couldnt really care less if a man/women is allowed into a club or not. It dosnt bother me. There are more important things then a "sport".

But golf is tough mentaly - What is squating 400lbs for 20 reps then?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Pete, I'm with ya 100% on this one.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I think a private club should be just that... P-R-I-V-A-T-E!

Pete, I got nothing but love for ya But to be honest I'm with Palme... Golf to me is just a waste of good real estate. it's a bunch of tacky rich guys chasing a little ball around a cow pasture with sticks... OOooo... could there BE a more boring "sport" ?!?!
    Last edited by ripped4fsu; 04-11-2003 at 12:44 PM.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    Women need to understand that men need to get away from them sometimes...

Originally posted by ripped4fsu
    OOooo... could there BE a more boring "sport" ?!?!
    Curling comes to mind!!

ripped...come man! you ever played? I used to talk so much trash about golf and finally one day I was invited to play. I will be the first to say it's actually a hell of alot more fun than I thought. It's not as easy to make that damn ball go where you want it to. I still can't afford to play but I would jump at it any given chance I could.

kc
    no way...it messes with my baseball swing!!!! i pass up days on the course weekly, not my bag baby...unless some rippin around in the golf cart is part of the deal anyway

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    as a golfer and dedicated lifter i resent the diss on the sport, palme...it may not require as much physical prowess as other more 'manly' sports but whoever you are, having to sink a 7 foot putt with millions of people watching for the title is the most stressful feeling in the world.

when i played competitively in high school the nerves were always edgy in big tournaments. i compare the feelings of anxiety and desperation to the same mental state as when you are trying to squeeze out that last rep on a heavy set.

as far as the debate goes, private organization means no outside interference...being an accomplished male golfer, i have played at augusta before once with my father and it was certainly different. there are some shitty men that belong to that club, but i would join in a second. hootie is a prick though, i have met the man and i can honestly say he has a stick up his ass.

i would like to see augusta remain male only for reasons based on tradition and dignity. it will still be heralded as one of the greatest courses in the world regardless of what sex can/can not play, so seeing the course cave in to political/social pressures would just exacerbate the equal rights bullshit that goes on today.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    OK OK,, I apologize,, I have offended some of my good bros...

so many people play golf there must be SOMETHING to it. and the one time I DID play I have to admit spending the day in the sunshine drinking beer was rather nice... So stroke on I say,,, and never again shall I demean the game... hell,,, I may even try it again.... Naaaaah!!

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i definitely recommend it...humbling if you have never played since it looks so easy

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Sorry to resurect a dead thread, but this pic made me laugh (even though my wife will kill me for laughing at it). This was taken during the protest...check out the guys sign in the back of the crowd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Masters-wimminslib.jpg  

Pete, now that is truely priceless! I've got to send this to some friends.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    LMAO!!!

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by daem
    as a golfer and dedicated lifter i resent the diss on the sport, palme...it may not require as much physical prowess as other more 'manly' sports but whoever you are, having to sink a 7 foot putt with millions of people watching for the title is the most stressful feeling in the world.

when i played competitively in high school the nerves were always edgy in big tournaments. i compare the feelings of anxiety and desperation to the same mental state as when you are trying to squeeze out that last rep on a heavy set.

as far as the debate goes, private organization means no outside interference...being an accomplished male golfer, i have played at augusta before once with my father and it was certainly different. there are some shitty men that belong to that club, but i would join in a second. hootie is a prick though, i have met the man and i can honestly say he has a stick up his ass.

i would like to see augusta remain male only for reasons based on tradition and dignity. it will still be heralded as one of the greatest courses in the world regardless of what sex can/can not play, so seeing the course cave in to political/social pressures would just exacerbate the equal rights bullshit that goes on today.
    I couldn't agree more....I played many years on a competitve level....and I firmly believe you can't talk shit without trying it....Palme...I usually agree with everything you have to say...but this shit is down right WRONG.....I'm sure you would be pissed if someone talked shit about lifting....not everyone enjoys it....not everyone enjoys golf...until they play

As far as the fuckin lame ass girl is concerned...she should do all of us a favor and keep her mouth shut...she is only making herself look like a jackass! It's their club they can do with what they want....they leave everyone alone why can't pople that are jealous leave the club alone...there are plenty of other Country Clubs she can join....

Thread Information