Razor is offline Banned
    Acustic or Electric? Thinking about buying one and learn from my friend
    Last edited by Razor; 03-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razr. View Post
    Acustic or Electric? Thinking about buying one and learn from my friend
    What sort of stuff do you want to play? I personally only play classical and flamenco guitars now a days. But you should find a cheap one for your first until you know you want to play it. My first guitar was a squire I bought at a pawn shop for $15 Only thing wrong with it was it needed to be resoldered at the potentiometers.

Mark5 is offline Associate Member
    I've played for close to 13 years now, mainly electric. It's a lot of fun but requires a good amount of investment to at least learn basic chords and such. Some people might tell you to start with an acoustic because it's easier to learn on. That's BS. Get whichever guitar you can see yourself playing more and having more fun with. I learned just fine on an electric and have been playing, buying, and selling ever since.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    I played a bit when I was younger. I had a Fender electric guitar, was great at the time when I was playing hard rock/metal. If I was going to buy a new guitar it'd be acoustic. Acoustics sound cleaner n more true when playing at a normal level, plus b*tches love acoustic guitars. Electric guitars are great, but they don't really shine until you crank up the amp. Acoustic is just more of a chill/relaxing sound.

Ultimately it depends what type of music you like to play.
    Last edited by jasc; 03-22-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    I played a bit when I was younger. I had a Fender electric guitar, was great at the time when I was playing hard rock/metal. If I was going to buy a new guitar it'd be acoustic. Acoustics sound cleaner n more true when playing at a normal level, plus b*tches love acoustic guitars. Electric guitars are great, but they don't really shine until you crank up the amp. Acoustic is just more of a chill/relaxing sound.

Ultimately it depends what type of music you like to play.

You can basically do anything on an acoustic too. It doesn't have to be chill or relaxing at all. Watch these videos:

The percussive playing Gabriela does in that video are some pretty cool tricks.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 03-22-2012 at 07:07 PM.

DanB is offline Banned
    i can play a little, i gave up trying learn this but can still play the irish ballads etc, i saw this film then wanted to learn, its harder than it looks haha

DanB is offline Banned
    if you can do this then women will have their clothes off before you even finished

DanB is offline Banned
    how can it be so fvcking hard? here a asian fella playing it, i didint think they even bothered with guitars over there, and he fvcking amazing he ugly but i bet he has no problem getting women if he can do that

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    how can it be so fvcking hard? here a asian fella playing it, i didint think they even bothered with guitars over there, and he fvcking amazing he ugly but i bet he has no problem getting women if he can do that

He's playing a little slow and not as fluidly as it should be, but when he gets older that kid is going to be a beast on guitar. Best way to start learning to play guitar like this is to learn the Segovian scales (it's published by Andres Segovia and it's just scales over 2 or 3 octaves on the neck), work on the 20 studies for the guitar by Fernando Sor and get this book:

crispyCraka is offline Junior Member
    I've been playing for 16 years. I started out with an electric, but sold all of them and my amps when I went back to school, and now have only played acoustic for the last seven years.

http://youtu.be/Ddn4MGaS3N4

crispyCraka is offline Junior Member
    This is what I was trying to post.

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    He's playing a little slow and not as fluidly as it should be, but when he gets older that kid is going to be a beast on guitar. Best way to start learning to play guitar like this is to learn the Segovian scales (it's published by Andres Segovia and it's just scales over 2 or 3 octaves on the neck), work on the 20 studies for the guitar by Fernando Sor and get this book:

Thanks I'll order that online, I can play some blues scales and the major, minor etc I think half my problem is I never had anybody actually showing me, I just had tabs and whatnot, you should of seen me the first time I had to string it up, I snapped 2 or 3 from over tightening them haha

But yeah I always heard nylon strings are better from that style of music, would you recommend them, I dont know if its in my head but I somehow find them style guitars harder, mabey its because the necks are usually wider?

I like the harmonics in this.

Vettester is offline Banned
    I play a bit here and there ... I have 2 Fender US Strats, including my recent Clapton signature Strat. Also a Gibson semi hollow body, and my acoustic.

Blues is what I really like to play, but it's fun to kick on the metal effects and delay/chorus switches when the mood is right.

I actually get the opportunity here pretty soon to do a backup rhythm part on a professional recording with a band in Mexico. Real excited, as that will be a first for me.

Like going to the gym, it's a great release, and it's very rewarding when you see some results for your efforts. Pick it up, give it a try, you will probably love it!

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I play. I've been in a series of bands, was a guitar tech for one BIG named band back in 2001, and a sitar tech for another big name back in 2002. My band was actually in walmart for a while with one band I played with...we sold a massive 18,000 records before the label dropped us.

I always thought I was gonna be this big musician and make a living from it.......yeah right! I finally dropped the dream when I realized I wasn't ever gonna be able to support a family from it. However, I can't wait til I can retire soon. I'm just gonna play locally in some bars and/or coffee houses and I think I'll enjoy it more.

If you're gonna buy one...I say go acoustic. I started on electric, but I wish I had learned on acoustic first.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Thanks I'll order that online, I can play some blues scales and the major, minor etc I think half my problem is I never had anybody actually showing me, I just had tabs and whatnot, you should of seen me the first time I had to string it up, I snapped 2 or 3 from over tightening them haha

But yeah I always heard nylon strings are better from that style of music, would you recommend them, I dont know if its in my head but I somehow find them style guitars harder, mabey its because the necks are usually wider?
    Well, I would not put metal strings on a flamenco or classical guitar. The necks aren't made to handle the tension. Nylon strings aren't very forgiving as far as tone goes. The tone comes from your fingers and your technique rather than just from banging on the strings. Also the shape and length of your finger nails on your right hand affects the tone and attack. If you get serious in to that style, you're going to need to grow your nails out and shape them right.

You should memorize all 24 Segovian scales. They're really just 12 major scales and 12 melodic minor scales over 2-3 octaves. And you should practice rest and free stroke and tremolo picking (which is different than tremolo picking with a guitar pick).

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    I play a bit here and there ... I have 2 Fender US Strats, including my recent Clapton signature Strat. Also a Gibson semi hollow body, and my acoustic.

Blues is what I really like to play, but it's fun to kick on the metal effects and delay/chorus switches when the mood is right.
    that is some serious equipment you got! impressive.

If you guys are serious about getting a well-made guitar. This guy I recommend. He does all of my repair work on my classical and flamenco guitars.

http://www.gregbrandtguitars.com

His starting guitar price is $6k, but you're going to get a guitar that's worth $12k easily. And he'll customize it to your specs.

Blog Entries
    ive been playing guitar for 30 yrs now and have played in many bands but over the last few years i have just lost interest to be honest...ive done the rock stare thing, played hundreds of shows, cut a few cd's of original music(one with frank hannon of the 80's band TESLA) but now i just dont have nearly the interest i do with bb'ing and other outdoor activities like mountain biking...those where good times though with memories ill never forget...and occasionaly the guys will call and set up a reunion show but other than that besides teaching my daughter to play i rarely play now....

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    ive been playing guitar for 30 yrs now and have played in many bands but over the last few years i have just lost interest to be honest...ive done the rock stare thing, played hundreds of shows, cut a few cd's of original music(one with frank hannon of the 80's band TESLA) but now i just dont have nearly the interest i do with bb'ing and other outdoor activities like mountain biking...those where good times though with memories ill never forget...and occasionaly the guys will call and set up a reunion show but other than that besides teaching my daughter to play i rarely play now....
    I've been playing for about 20 years now. I've never wanted to be a rock star or anything like that. In fact in every gig and recital I've played in, I get so nervous, I feel like throwing up. I've always loathed performing live because of that. But I still, after all the ups and downs, still find time for guitar. I even still attend an occasional masterclass. I don't think I could just stop playing altogether. I mean, I don't still put the 12 hour days of guitar in like I did during my college years.

Check this out:

This is some awesome guitar work.

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong
    Check this out:

This is some awesome guitar work.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0SnuRcWIgA&feature=related
    Thats bad ass

Thread Information