Thread: Watch Junkies?

MHouse is offline Junior Member

Watch Junkies?

So I have a slight addiction to watches. My collection includes a couple Breitlings (Super Avenger and Steelfish) and a Rolex (Submariner). I think my next purchase might be a Panerai 312, but I am also really digging the Breitling for Bentley Barnato Racing. But I have always told myself I wouldn't buy a B4B unless I get a Bentley first... and I'm definitely not in that class yet. Are there any other watch junkies out there?

Mark5 is offline Associate Member
    I can't afford it but wish I could be a watch aficionado. I bought my first watch, a $200 Nixon which I love, but that's pocket change compared to the ones you listed. I'd like to get a Diesel or Vestal watch but can't justify spending hundreds on something I hardly ever wear.

I really like some of the Nixon watches. The 51-30 is a bad a$$ watch! My brother rocks one regularly. Nixon has even started to dabble in the high end watches with mechanical swiss movements. I think those run between $1K-$2K. I'm not sure where you're living but if you're looking for a good deal on a Diesel, take a look at Nordstrom Rack (if you have one close by). I've seen a few larger faced Diesel watches in their jewelry case for about half the price of retail.

Quote Originally Posted by MHouse View Post
    I really like some of the Nixon watches. The 51-30 is a bad a$$ watch! My brother rocks one regularly. Nixon has even started to dabble in the high end watches with mechanical swiss movements. I think those run between $1K-$2K. I'm not sure where you're living but if you're looking for a good deal on a Diesel, take a look at Nordstrom Rack (if you have one close by). I've seen a few larger faced Diesel watches in their jewelry case for about half the price of retail.
    There's a Nordstrom Rack not too far from me, I'll go check that out. I've also seen some higher priced "ceramic" watches. What exactly does this mean? Or I guess a better question is what makes a ceramic watch more valuable?

Oh and BTW, I have been lusting after a 51-30 for a long time, but don't know if I can pull off the huge-faced watch look. The one I have is called The Ticket. I got it cause I thought it looked a little bit different than some of the watches that I commonly see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A085000_1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	121505

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    My boss is a HUUUUUUUUUGE "Time piece" afficianado. It's not a watch..... it's a time piece. I was helping him move and he has display cases for these things..... He lived in switzerland for years and traveled the world...... the fvckin guy is made of money. He can be really cheap sometimes with certain things but god damn..... not his timepieces.

I'm not a watch fan myself..... i can admire the work and engineering with them but they're uncomfortable for me to wear. It's just not my thing I guess..... I wish I knew the names of some of his.... I'll ask him if I think about it.

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    my most expensive watch is just a crapy $2k Tag Heuer. a gift from my wife. i got myself a seiko automatic to wear in the gym. $500.

sorry. i am not a watch/time piece junky..

Mark, big watches are in. Unless the lugs are hanging way over the outside of your wrist, you can pull it off. The largest piece in my collection is the Super Avenger at 48.4mm and my wrist is around 8" in circumference, and I pull it off no problem.

As to ceramic, it's the material that the case and the bracelet are made out of. I bought my fiancee a while ceramic last summer, but it's not necessarily the ceramic that makes the watch expensive, it's the movement inside the watch. Most Nixons are quartz movements. They use a piece of quartz crystal and a battery to keep time. The Nixons that are expensive use a swiss mechanical movement. These movements have lots of tiny precise gears inside and use the motion from the person wearing the watch to keep time. There's no battery in these watches and take a lot more to build them.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I am a Macy's Fossil queen.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by MHouse
    Mark, big watches are in. Unless the lugs are hanging way over the outside of your wrist, you can pull it off. The largest piece in my collection is the Super Avenger at 48.4mm and my wrist is around 8" in circumference, and I pull it off no problem.

As to ceramic, it's the material that the case and the bracelet are made out of. I bought my fiancee a while ceramic last summer, but it's not necessarily the ceramic that makes the watch expensive, it's the movement inside the watch. Most Nixons are quartz movements. They use a piece of quartz crystal and a battery to keep time. The Nixons that are expensive use a swiss mechanical movement. These movements have lots of tiny precise gears inside and use the motion from the person wearing the watch to keep time. There's no battery in these watches and take a lot more to build them.
    Gotcha. Is Swiss movement the best quality movement you can get?

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Coolhand5599 is offline Member
    I have a jewelry fobia. I can't wear any jewelry

I love the black faced one! It screams "I'm a big dog... or big cat."

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I stopped wearing a watch back in 1990 when I got to basic training. Drill sergeants told us to take them off cause they ran our time. Just got used to it after a while. Now my cell phone is my watch like I think a lot of people are now.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i have some swatches from the 80's still

i got a nice piece in 2007..considered the omega seamaster and the rolex submariner....everyone has a rolex so i went with the omega..stainless

Omega Seamasters are nice. I was looking at one a few months ago. It's actually been the watch worn by James Bond. Pretty sick.

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I like g-shocks lol white v neck, white g shock, gtg

Thread Information