SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100

Im watching the tv show ~secret millionar for the 1st time...

...and I love this show!
    Has anyone else seen this?

it really highlights how everyday people that struggle through life still manage to understand, value, and DO things to change our nation for the better in some small way...and then a millionaire walks in and throws a big check to whatever organization/person they find and believe in.
    the hero's seem to be the millionaires, but I think the struggling every day person that still finds time and what little money they have to put towards improving the community ~are the actual hero's

it highlights for me how often those that have...have it, cuz they don’t share or care enough to put time or effort into fostering change or growth in others...like really a 4bedroom home when there is only the 2 rich people living in it? lol

... it’s a definite tear jerker show... every episode I end up crying, the people that receive the millionaires check truly understand the value of a dollar, and the positive effects it can have on the community, and it’s nice to see the millionaire realize that the money he may splurge on BS for the month can actually alter good peoples live forever.

Talk about putting stuff in perspective...very humbling sow

oscarjones is offline Banned
    WTF?

How do the poor folk not realize there are cameras and shit everywhere? Don't they realize they're being video taped!?

So stupid, the millionares are going straight back to their mansions after the show is through, and they probably gained a few million more for creating the show to begin with!

It's a long shot at creating hope for the poor... and the truely poor (i know i used to be homeless) don't have access to televisions in the first place.

**** that shit.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    In theory the show is "good", but it's just a selfish front for doing "good".

First off, if these millionaires want to help ppl, why do they need to be on primetime tv to do so?

Oscar brought up a good point about the cameras.

The only reason these rich people agree to give is A) they get to flaunt their $ on tv B) it's a tax write-off, so in essence, they are not giving their own money, rather giving out gov't funds...

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I'd bet a million that the show is scripted and fake...like every other "reality" show.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It probably is scripted and fake and seems like a way for them to flaunt on TV....but.....at the end of the day someone gets the money they need to keep a soup kitchen open or whatever the need may be........so just maybe the end justifies the means. If you were the one running the soup kitchen, would you care HOW you came about the money or just be thankful that you DID get the money? Hardly reality but better than jersey shore!

phoenix44 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasc
    In theory the show is "good", but it's just a selfish front for doing "good".

First off, if these millionaires want to help ppl, why do they need to be on primetime tv to do so?

Oscar brought up a good point about the cameras.

The only reason these rich people agree to give is A) they get to flaunt their $ on tv B) it's a tax write-off, so in essence, they are not giving their own money, rather giving out gov't funds...
    One reason to do it on tv is too, create awareness.

They know they are on tv just think they are being filmed for other reasons.

I'm not sure if people understand how tax write offs work: they are actually more of a tax write down.
    Say I donate 100,000 all that does is write down the amount of money I made that year by that amount.
    Donate 100k and if I'm the highest tax bracket let's just round it to 40% just to make math easy to follow. That means I would have had to pay 40k in taxes on that money. So even if it's a tax deductible donation I'm still out 60% of that money that I will receive no benefit from.

And also the money donated to individuals and not a legit non profit will not be deductible at all.

So before you knock it it these people are doing good. It's their money they earned and they could have spent it any way they chose but they chose to help a few people.

And most people on the show have came from meager backgrounds and earned every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix44

One reason to do it on tv is too, create awareness.

They know they are on tv just think they are being filmed for other reasons.

I'm not sure if people understand how tax write offs work: they are actually more of a tax write down.
    Say I donate 100,000 all that does is write down the amount of money I made that year by that amount.
    Donate 100k and if I'm the highest tax bracket let's just round it to 40% just to make math easy to follow. That means I would have had to pay 40k in taxes on that money. So even if it's a tax deductible donation I'm still out 60% of that money that I will receive no benefit from.

And also the money donated to individuals and not a legit non profit will not be deductible at all.

So before you knock it it these people are doing good. It's their money they earned and they could have spent it any way they chose but they chose to help a few people.

And most people on the show have came from meager backgrounds and earned every penny.
    Create awareness for what? that they're giving to charity.. that's not self-serving... It's not like people aren't already aware of people in need, they just choose to ignore it.

Where these people come from has no bearing.. it just creates storyline

Justify however you want, most of these people do it for selfish reasons. I never said it was bad that they were giving to charity, it's their motives that are in question.

Enjoy your "reality" show
    Last edited by jasc; 04-04-2012 at 12:00 PM.

al_capone is offline Junior Member
    fakeeeee waste of life.

Create awareness for what? that they're giving to charity.. that's not self-serving... It's not like people aren't already aware of people in need, they just choose to ignore it.

Where these people come from has no bearing.. it just creates storyline

Justify however you want, most of these people do it for selfish reasons. I never said it was bad that they were giving to charity, it's their motives that are in question.

Enjoy your "reality" show
    Awareness for that particular charity they will get more hits and hopefully more money once people know what they are doing.

And I don't need to justify anything. At the end of the day they are helping people and that's all that matters.

I'm sure you would do more if you were rich, like everyone says they would. If that's the case go do something and become rich.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix44

Awareness for that particular charity they will get more hits and hopefully more money once people know what they are doing.

And I don't need to justify anything. At the end of the day they are helping people and that's all that matters.

I'm sure you would do more if you were rich, like everyone says they would. If that's the case go do something and become rich.
    So now you agree they are giving to charities, which will result in a write-off.. Your first argument is that they wouldn't receive write-offs for giving to "individuals".

Btw.. I do well and I do contribute to local charities n help ppl in need.. do I need a tv camera to let the whole world know? no
    I do it to help ppl, not be recognized

So are you saying that the money DOESN"T help those people who needed it?

So now you agree they are giving to charities, which will result in a write-off.. Your first argument is that they wouldn't receive write-offs for giving to "individuals".

Btw.. I do well and I do contribute to local charities n help ppl in need.. do I need a tv camera to let the whole world know? no
    No Go reread the post you don't just get a complete tax write off for giving money away.
    It's still your money your giving away.

You need to understand tax law

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    Who cares about WHO'S giving the money, WHY they're giving the money or if they have cameras around them and everything's scripted. So what if they did it for the tax write off? Someone's benefitting from the money. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
    Who cares about WHO'S giving the money, WHY they're giving the money or if they have cameras around them and everything's scripted. So what if they did it for the tax write off? Someone's benefitting from the money. PERIOD.
    I agree but how the hell do you know? Hahaha. Its a ****ing TV show. They make you believe what they want you to believe.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    One episode they were in Gary Indiana. What a worthless crime infested shit hole. Never go to Gary indiana

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarjones View Post
    I agree but how the hell do you know? Hahaha. Its a ****ing TV show. They make you believe what they want you to believe.

Maybe so, but at least it's better than f****** Jersey Shore! What a useless piece of s*** show that is...

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post

Is there another reason to give to charities besides a write off? Not for me. I use it to the max for tax purposes. If/when I want to help a person or cause I do it in person or through personally investing time to make a difference. I dont join fund raisers or marathons to help a cause because I believe 90% goes in someones pocket. If I get involved in something like that its for exercise or fun. Everyone has their own ideas of how things work and how they can help though.

Back to the OP. Ive seen the show a few times. I liked it, it's entertaining and has a good message but I agree I'm sure it's fake.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
    Maybe so, but at least it's better than f****** Jersey Shore! What a useless piece of s*** show that is...

EXACTLY!!!! I thought I was the only one on this site that throws up when I see or hear about Snooki or the rest of those fruitcakes.

Yeah Jersey Shore is pretty shwag. Ill give you that one.

Thread Information