DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

DeGrasse Tyson - A fascinatingly disturbing thought

Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

drake25 is offline Junior Member
    this guy is the man

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    A very polished and experienced public speaker. I would have loved to have this guy as my professor in college!!!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Well with all things considered I seriously hope that when or if we need other life forms in the universe they are a lot less than 1 percent smarter than us. I personally don't want to end up in a zoo somewhere.

What's wrong with living in a zoo? all your needs are met, fed watered daily. and when mating season, they throw you a biitch in heat.

BreakingFace is offline Banned
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    What's wrong with living in a zoo? all your needs are met, fed watered daily. and when mating season, they throw you a biitch in heat.
    You're right and it sounds just like what the current administration is trying to get everyone to agree with in the us. Make everybody on welfare and government assistance.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Whoops I thought you were writing about me as I always have fascinatingly disturbing thoughts.........

This video should be in the "do you believe in god" thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Unfortunately a lot people in prison share your thoughts.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life

Personal experience?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-bacon View Post
    Personal experience?
    Show me your dimples.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life

Show me your dimples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2364599425.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	122126

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Well with all things considered I seriously hope that when or if we need other life forms in the universe they are a lot less than 1 percent smarter than us. I personally don't want to end up in a zoo somewhere.
    Maybe we do live in a zoo, called Earth, and are kept here, but too stupid to have the awareness of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flier
    Maybe we do live in a zoo, called Earth, and are kept here, but too stupid to have the awareness of it.
    Good point. Do ants know when they live in an ant farm?

Mark5 is offline Associate Member
    I've always thought this guy was brilliant. It's funny though in the video how he posits that it is a near certainty that there is life or something out there far greater than us, but has spent so much time and effort in an attempt to disprove the existence of God and insult people who are believers or people who have a faith.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    No one threw me a bitch

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark5 View Post
    I've always thought this guy was brilliant. It's funny though in the video how he posits that it is a near certainty that there is life or something out there far greater than us, but has spent so much time and effort in an attempt to disprove the existence of God and insult people who are believers or people who have a faith.
    Because faith isnt proof of anything. If there was proof you dont need to have faith. And unfortunately i think peoples faith have held us back as a society.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Because faith isnt proof of anything. If there was proof you dont need to have faith. And unfortunately i think peoples faith have held us back as a society.
    You're totally right, faith isn't proof, otherwise it wouldn't be called faith. But in the video he is asserting a faith that there is a more intelligent life form of some sort, while with the same mouth insulting the idea of an intelligent designer.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    honestly i think it is because he has faith there is. But if you asked him is it a fact? he would say no IMO. But if you ask people of "faith" is it a fact of an intelligent designer or god, they would say yes. Most religious people use their faith as fact. I dont think he does.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Blog Entries
    You're totally right, faith isn't proof, otherwise it wouldn't be called faith. But in the video he is asserting a faith that there is a more intelligent life form of some sort, while with the same mouth insulting the idea of an intelligent designer.
    While i sort of agree with you i think in this case it goes a little past just faith. His decision is based on scientific facts which in my opinions holds a little more water than just "having faith."

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    While i sort of agree with you i think in this case it goes a little past just faith. His decision is based on scientific facts which in my opinions holds a little more water than just "having faith."
    I think they're pretty similar. By the evidence he has seen, he is convinced without proof (faith) that there is intelligent life beyond us that we haven't come to know. Likewise, myself and others of faith see evidence of what we believe is intelligent design and intelligent intervention, and have a faith that there is a creator because of that evidence. Until there's irrefutable truth of either, not everyone will be convinced.

pheenyx1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Not in my experience. In county jail there were some homeless guys who would get locked up when the weather got cold, but in prison i never met anyone who was there as a lifestyle choice. You learn to adapt, but it never gets comfortable enough to become a preference as opposed to freedom.

disagree.

the existence of a god does not require her to be the creator of life.

there are many different philosophical ways to think about god.

one version is that She created the universe and then is just passively watching, not directly involved in any of our day to day affairs.

many believe in both the existance of god AND Darwinism.

many, including myself, believe King James is full of shiit, as it seems pretty clear to me that with all the various editions and renderings of the bible, that what was included in the bible and what was decided to exclude was arbitrary. I have to disagree with anyone that says what is in the bible is due to divine inspiration???

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JUDAS????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

Thread Information