JJ78 is offline Senior Member

Fukushima reactor #4

It amazies me that this gets no tv time on US news. Its probably the biggest threat to life as we know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htFph...eature=related

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Okay, i'm not even a minute into this and I already disagree with many points.

In the history of nuclear power, there have been very, very few accidents. Saying there are nuclear ponds...jesus.

sounds like the guy is anti-nuclear and so are you.

I studied this stuff during my Environmental Studies. Fossil fuels are not going to last forever. Right now nuclear power is the only other energy source that can match our consumption rates. Im all for other sustainable energy sources, but right now they are neither cheap or viable.

I am not 100% anti nuclear.

What scares me about this interview and many others I have seen and heard is that if #4 fails, the amount of damage it will do to the entire globe.

If you look at the reactor locations in the US many of them are sitting on major fault lines.

But my point is:
    This is happening, and the media does not cover it one bit. This is not conspiracy, this is real.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    the world has gotta end sometime, would you really be surprised if the elimination of mankind was caused by man?

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    the world has gotta end sometime, would you really be surprised if the elimination of mankind was caused by man?
    not at all brother. Not much one can do, but amazes(even though it shouldnt) that we hear nothing about this ticking timebomb in our media.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    We are all too busy watching American Idol. No time for that news crap.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Vettester is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Got it marked on my calendar for Dec. 21 this year.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild
    I waiting for the end too man, finally some change haha

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Okay, i'm not even a minute into this and I already disagree with many points.

In the history of nuclear power, there have been very, very few accidents. Saying there are nuclear ponds...jesus.

sounds like the guy is anti-nuclear and so are you.

I studied this stuff during my Environmental Studies. Fossil fuels are not going to last forever. Right now nuclear power is the only other energy source that can match our consumption rates. Im all for other sustainable energy sources, but right now they are neither cheap or viable.
    Some would argue petroleum is mislabeled as fossil fuels, and actually will last longer than expected. I basically live in an oil field, this place was supposed to "dry up" 20 years ago, but they keep using methods to extract more and more oil. Of course if ever does dry up and the coal mine gets shut down I will never be able to sell my house.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    We are all too busy watching American Idol. No time for that news crap.
    come on we all know you watch jersey shore and have a crush on the situation

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Some would argue petroleum is mislabeled as fossil fuels, and actually will last longer than expected. I basically live in an oil field, this place was supposed to "dry up" 20 years ago, but they keep using methods to extract more and more oil. Of course if ever does dry up and the coal mine gets shut down I will never be able to sell my house.
    Ultimately, fossil fuels are the prehistoric remains of dinosaurs and prehistoric vegetation, whether it is here for 30 or 100 years, it will run out one day.

I'm not for Nuclear power either, but its the best alternative we have now. Building near fault lines is plain stupidity though. I believe the secret of sustainable, almost limitless energy will come in the form of photovoltaics, solar panels...I think one day will be able to adapt super solar panels in outer space that will act as satalites harnessing power from the sun.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the amount of sunlight that shines on 1 meter square of Sahara desert for 30 minutes would be enough energy to power the planet for a year.

Ultimately, fossil fuels are the prehistoric remains of dinosaurs and prehistoric vegetation, whether it is here for 30 or 100 years, it will run out one day.

I'm not for Nuclear power either, but its the best alternative we have now. Building near fault lines is plain stupidity though. I believe the secret of sustainable, almost limitless energy will come in the form of photovoltaics, solar panels...I think one day will be able to adapt super solar panels in outer space that will act as satalites harnessing power from the sun.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the amount of sunlight that shines on 1 meter square of Sahara desert for 30 minutes would be enough energy to power the planet for a year.

good point to hear about when oil will run out. there is actually more oil in the us earth in one state, i cant remember which one, than there is in all of the middle east.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member

That fact is debated, and by some not considered fact. There are other theories about fossil fuels, my first quick search on the subject, http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/...ustainableOil/ but there are lots of other more reputable sources out there, i just gave that site as a quick description of what I am talking about, haven't even read it lol.

I read that there is unlimited oil underground.

Rivers of the stuff. The Russians did deep deep drilling and discoverd them. The same "rivers of oil" that the deep water horizon hi in the Gulf. It is constantly being made by Mother Earth. It is a byproduct of whatever is going on underground?

I live in Nevada. And it amazes me that with the amount of wind and 350 days of sunshine that we have here, that you dont see solar panels and wind turbines everywhere.

Warchild, I believe the state is Colorado. They are oil sands like they have in Canada.
    I truly believe that we import so much of our oil to deplete the Middle East and other regions of their oil supply.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post

Rivers of the stuff. The Russians did deep deep drilling and discoverd them. The same "rivers of oil" that the deep water horizon hi in the Gulf. It is constantly being made by Mother Earth. It is a byproduct of whatever is going on underground?

I live in Nevada. And it amazes me that with the amount of wind and 350 days of sunshine that we have here, that you dont see solar panels and wind turbines everywhere.

Warchild, I believe the state is Colorado. They are oil sands like they have in Canada.
    I truly believe that we import so much of our oil to deplete the Middle East and other regions of their oil supply.

I was thinking either colorado or utah but i know it is in the area

ive also heard that as the world turns it produces more oil. how accurate that is i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    That fact is debated, and by some not considered fact. There are other theories about fossil fuels, my first quick search on the subject, http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/...ustainableOil/ but there are lots of other more reputable sources out there, i just gave that site as a quick description of what I am talking about, haven't even read it lol.
    Are you serious? Why do you think the by-product of fossil fuels is CO2? To say that oil, coal and gas may not be the prehistoric organic material broken down over millions of years is incredible. Please don't say "well what if God put it there?"

Please, please get educated on the subject. There is not unlimited supply. There is no such thing as "infinite material", just no. And to say "well, it's made by some sort of process going on underground...do you know how ignorant that sounds. Sorry to sound harsh but you just sound like you've made your own theory up and just cherry picked the closest BS you could find on the net to validate this. Yes, massive pressure and heat underground has an effect on the prehistoric vegetation that transforms it, but gas, oil and coal don't just appear out of thin air. Nothing does. Everything is the result of a reaction from something else.

And you need certain environments for other energy sources to work. Solar panels are most effective in deserts, wind generators are more effective on small land masses, islands.

Thats why I put the ? at the end of the statement. Arent there reactions going on under ground all the time? At different levels? I do not know, you have obviously studied this and I havent, other than eart science in high school. And I really dont believe 90% of the bullshit that I read in those textbooks. If they falsify the history books then why not the science books also.

Here is one of the articles that I read about where oil comes from

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-092733-4642r/

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    We have the largest solar thermal energy plant in the US. It is near Boulder City. Supposedly we also have more solar energy capacity per person than any other state. That sounds like spin to me.

That must be the one I saw when I hiked up to the top of Black Mountain in Henderson. I was wondering about that, it is huge.
    Great hike by the way, since you live in Vegas also.

Thread Information