Atomini is offline Banned

Bodybuilder Steve Michalik died recently!

Hey guys, don't think this was posted here yet,

But last month on May 24, 2012 former IFBB pro Steve Michalik (Mr America 1972, Mr Universe 1975) died at the age of 63. Arnold nicknamed him the 'phantom bodybuilder' because he made a comeback in the late 70s after a car accident left him paralyzed. Now, in case some of you may not know who he is (or maybe some of you forgot), he was featured in an interview in that bullshit documentary 'The Man Who's Arms Exploded', and he also was a very anti-steroid advocate (which was strange, considering he was pro-legalizing AAS and against legislation and prohibition of the drug as well).

However, this guy was a real curiosity to me because he was known for being absolutely IN-FVCKING-SANE in regards to his steroid and drug use in the 1970s, but also his training regimen and general attitude over all. Here are some examples of this guy:

- Musclemag wrote an article on him a while ago in which it described that he trained with John DeFendis, and he once strapped Defendis to a chinning bar and didn't let him down till he completed 100 reps. Many witness accounts also stated that if someone looked at Michalik while he was training, he thought it would drain him of "energy", so he would kick their asses for doing so.

- At his, gym he would section off a whole area and put tape around it. If anyone interrupted him while he was training, he would throw them through a window.

- He took DeFendis to a beach once and tried to drown him. He said to DeFendis that if he was going to win the USA, he would have to want the title as much as he wanted a breath of air while he was trying to drown him.

- At times he would spend 12 hours a day in the gym, performing near 80 - 100 sets per bodypart.

- Accounts from close friends of his had him reportedly eating monkey brains to get the hormones out of the hypothalamus. He would purchase monkey skulls, crack them open, and suck on the hypothalamus gland in the brain to get the growth hormone out of it.

- You think that stacking 4 compounds in one cycle is a lot? Steve Michalik was known to average a stack of 14 steroids at once. One article in a magazine states "Steve took a cocktail of up to 14 different drugs, including speed to get through his workouts and downers so he could get some sleep. He started getting migraines that required his son to pack his skull in ice to relieve the pain. His joints had turned to jelly, and worst of all his muscles went soft, no matter how hard he worked. It got to the point where in one contest he collapsed on stage in convulsions"

- In an interview he claimed he was willing to do ANYTHING to become a better bodybuilder, and he said that if someone had told him that drinking crankcase oil out of an engine would have brought him further to the top of his competitions, he would have done it.

- Eventually, Michalik developed 2 liver cysts the size of grapefruits from popping anadrols and dbols like they were M&Ms. He later suffered a heart attack, followed shortly after by a stroke.

- He was admitted to a mental institution and was diagnosed clinically insane for a short period before he was rehabilitated.

Just one of the many interviews with Michalik: http://www.**************/free_onlin...phantom_speaks

Cause of death? Not what you might think, folks. Self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Article on his death: http://www.musclemag.com/Culture/Art...ead-At-63.aspx

R.I.P Steve.

PowerHouse1900 is offline Associate Member
    Sounds like significant mental illness.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    He was admitted to a mental institution and was diagnosed clinically insane for a short period before he was rehabilitated = WTF???

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    He didn't die, he killed himself.

Yeah, he was sent to a mental institution but he has never mentioned what for. I think it's pretty obvious looking at his behavior... lol.

An excerpt from an article:

Snack The Monkey
    Stupid things bodybuilders do and eat and have sex with.

Twenty eggs, a loaf of toast, and a 12-ounce steak at a sitting. Bodybuilders are known for their unusual eating habits, but…monkey brains?

Steve Michalik, Mr. Universe 1975, shudders to recall his bad old days as a skin-popping juice pig. Anadrol , Dianabol , and other steroids had taken him to the title, but Michalik noticed that his body had begun to plateau. Upping his dosage to Presleyan proportions, he still couldn’t pack on the meat mass he craved. So he struck out for the hardcore fringe in search of the next big thing.

He found it in a monkey’s head, drinking the hormone-rich goop that flowed out of the hypothalamus gland. (It seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Michalik is the first to admit he was pretty far gone by the time he started snacking on monkey brains. When he wasn’t throwing people through windows or bashing trucks in with 300-pound railroad ties, Michalik pimped for the physician who supplied him with his precious black-market prescriptions.

Aspiring bodybuilders “had to find out sooner or later that the road to the title went through Dr. X’s office,” Michalik told the Village Voice in 1991. With the doctor’s lock on such high-end supplements as Primobolan and Parabolin, “nobody was gonna get to be competition size unless they put out for him.” In exchange for a stack of steroid scrips, Michalik brokered love connections for the doctor with a string of title hopefuls.

The doctor’s drugs were so powerful, “you felt them immediately in your muscles,” Michalik recalled.

And then there were their sexual side effects, including almost constant erections. “One of my friends, a former Mr. America, used to get so horny on tour that he’d **** the Coke machine in his hotel,” Michalik said. “Swear to God, he’d stick his dick right in the change slot and bang it for all he was worth.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brohim View Post
    Oh, so he's still alive then, eh? I'm pretty sure that you still DIE when you commit suicide.

I posted at the bottom of my post that he blew his brains out. You'd have seen that if you read the whole post.

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    He saying dieing and killing himself are two seperate things. Agreed.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Either way rest in piece.

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    crazy dude!!!...RIP

PowerHouse1900 is offline Associate Member
    Bodybuilding and the gym can be a perfect refuge from people with personality disorder/mental illness. Primarily because it's a solitary sport and your individual success is not predicated on your ability to work with others.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Apparently...this dude was the Victim of an Abusive Child-hood.

I'm not religious...but looks like the gospel of JC saved what little was left of his life....until depression set in.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/feat...e-michalik-rip

http://www.midwestchristianbodybuild...vemichalik.htm

I also remember him doing an interview in that documentary..."the man who's arms exploded."

First he was doing every kinda AAS there was...and then later condemned them.

Go Figure...guess he changed his mind.
    Last edited by tcw; 06-17-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    Apparently...this dude was the Victim of an Abusive Child-hood.

I'm not religious...but looks like the gospel of JC saved what little was left of his life....until depression set in.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/feat...e-michalik-rip

http://www.midwestchristianbodybuild...vemichalik.htm

I also remember him doing an interview in that documentary..."the man who's arms exploded."

First he was doing every kinda AAS there was...and then later condemned them.

Go Figure...guess he changed his mind.
    Yes, what's interesting though is that even though he was outspokenly anti-steroid and condemning them wherever, he was very much pro-legalization of the substance. Check out this article where they interviewed him here:

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/710210423

Steve Mihalik, a former bodybuilding champion crowned both Mr. America and Mr. Universe in the 1970s, said he too has seen the pressure on young people to "juice." He recalled a teenage pitcher told to get the speed up on his fastball by a major league scout.

"He comes back to the gym and he's all buffed up," Mihalik said. "And he admits to me that he took steroids with his father's approval, because it means dollars."

Mihalik, who once used steroids but now advocates for a clean workout regimen, is dubious of law enforcement crackdowns. He predicted the recent sweeps across the country will do little to stem the flow of steroids.

"I was thinking back to the days of Prohibition, where the government spends thousands, maybe millions of dollars in manpower and money and effort in a losing cause," the muscular 59-year-old personal trainer lamented. "Because you can't stop people from doing what they want to do."

He said legalization and regulation are the only remedies, and warns that taking a substance whipped up in some guy's basement carries its own peril.

"Who knows what impurity you're injecting into your bloodstream?" he said.
    Anyhow, a lot of people said he still used AAS into his old age and before he killed himself.

tcw
    I hear ya Atomini,

What one says in front of a camera...is often QUITE different than Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    Yes, what's interesting though is that even though he was outspokenly anti-steroid and condemning them wherever, he was very much pro-legalization of the substance. Check out this article where they interviewed him here:

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/710210423

Anyhow, a lot of people said he still used AAS into his old age and before he killed himself.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    It's weird because he really didn't look that great. I guess now we know what the true human limit is lol. 14 drugs in a stack? That's gnarly as hell

tcw
    Yeah bro...we are still limited to genetics.

You can do 20 grams of test a week...lift weights 2-3 hrs a day...and never get as big as R.Coleman.

PS
    You have to look pretty gotdayum good to win Mr.America. You win that one lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    It's weird because he really didn't look that great. I guess now we know what the true human limit is lol. 14 drugs in a stack? That's gnarly as hell

I hear ya Atomini,

What one says in front of a camera...is often QUITE different than Reality.
    Yes, I don't mean to bash the guy in the midst of his death but there were a lot of people saying that Michalik was a compulsive liar and was bullcrapping about a lot of things. Saying things like claiming to be Arnold's training partner - a debateable statement according to some people. He also blamed all of his health problems solely on anabolic steroid use , when he is blatantly the poster child for absolute over-abuse. I think he went so far out in his abuse that it went beyond abuse but I can't find a word for it, lol. I would say he is/was by no means an example of the average moderate steroid user by any measure.

I always wonder why the guys who claim steroids really messed them up try to play this picture that they never abused the stuff . Or they take a complete 180 long after their success has fizzled out.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Yeah bro...we are still limited to genetics.

You can do 20 grams of test a week...lift weights 2-3 hrs a day...and never get as big as R.Coleman.

PS
    You have to look pretty gotdayum good to win Mr.America. You win that one lately?
    He won Mr. America allegedly natural.

Yes, I don't mean to bash the guy in the midst of his death but there were a lot of people saying that Michalik was a compulsive liar and was bullcrapping about a lot of things. Saying things like claiming to be Arnold's training partner - a debateable statement according to some people. He also blamed all of his health problems solely on anabolic steroid use , when he is blatantly the poster child for absolute over-abuse. I think he went so far out in his abuse that it went beyond abuse but I can't find a word for it, lol. I would say he is/was by no means an example of the average moderate steroid user by any measure.

I always wonder why the guys who claim steroids really messed them up try to play this picture that they never abused the stuff . Or they take a complete 180 long after their success has fizzled out.
    It's the attention he got by being anti-steroid after all those years of abusing them. You think he would've been interviewed as much as he did if he was pro-roid?

StickyNicky is offline Associate Member
    Great post. I always thought he was bat shit crazy every time I've seen him on some sort of documentary. Especially with his students..

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong

He won Mr. America allegedly natural.
    Doubtful There's not many true naturals around.

Quote Originally Posted by auswest View Post
    Doubtful There's not many true naturals around.
    That's why I said allegedly. Besides, I don't know what kind of physiques were the common thing in bodybuilding, the year he won mr. america

Yeah in that TLC documentary he claimed he won Mr. America natural and only started using when he got to the Mr Universe level.

Super-Chump is offline Associate Member
    R.I.P.

I knew very little about him but after reading through this thread he really sounds like he was either a douche bag or he had serious mental problem, maybe both.

Scabtree is offline Associate Member

- Accounts from close friends of his had him reportedly eating monkey brains to get the hormones out of the hypothalamus. He would purchase monkey skulls, crack them open, and suck on the hypothalamus gland in the brain to get the growth hormone out of it.
    Anyone know where I can get a couple cases of monkey heads?

tcw
    yeah...i hear that.

There are some PEOPLE i like----who happen to be certifiable nut jobs---just the way it is.

Some great Humans were also certified crazies (at one time).

Steve sounds like a someone with Histrionic personality disorder. Can't stand to be out of the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scabtree View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a couple cases of monkey heads?
    I got a source, but it's going to involve a zoo, ski-mask and a shotgun.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    when he said in theat steroid doc that "once you do steroids it plants a seed to cause all kinds of heath problems." i knew he was full of crap
    Last edited by warchild; 06-18-2012 at 11:04 PM.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    He sounds like the biggest asshole. I hate lifting around people who think they are better than everyone else.

Razor is offline Banned
    The dead are dead, rip bro

SG2009 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brohim View Post
    may he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    He sounds like the biggest asshole. I hate lifting around people who think they are better than everyone else.
    I never met the guy, so I wont call him an asshole. But I hate those f[u]cks that think they're better than everybody else and that the gym belongs to them when they're just a member like everyone else.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    - At his, gym he would section off a whole area and put tape around it. If anyone interrupted him while he was training, he would throw them through a window.

- He took DeFendis to a beach once and tried to drown him. He said to DeFendis that if he was going to win the USA, he would have to want the title as much as he wanted a breath of air while he was trying to drown him.

- You think that stacking 4 compounds in one cycle is a lot? Steve Michalik was known to average a stack of 14 steroids at once. One article in a magazine states "Steve took a cocktail of up to 14 different drugs, including speed to get through his workouts and downers so he could get some sleep. He started getting migraines that required his son to pack his skull in ice to relieve the pain. His joints had turned to jelly, and worst of all his muscles went soft, no matter how hard he worked. It got to the point where in one contest he collapsed on stage in convulsions"
    I recant.. sounds like a nice down to earth guy.

Thread Information