< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries

What to do with myself now?

It's time for me to get off my ass. It's been 2 years since I had a real job(I been doing random BS on the side since for cash). My unemployment is a goner and I need to do something with myself.

I can get a job, but I don't have any hook ups or real life work experience and I will be working to live & living to work. If I could get my old job back I would. But, it's just not going to happen. I worked for a cable company, made bank & had awesome benefits.

Option 2, I can go to school as long as it necessary to make something of myself. But what? I want something that will make $ and I will somewhat enjoy. Been considering engineering, but I will start with zero credits and I am 31. This will take a very long time.

Any ideas are welcome here. . . What would you do? I don't have many bills, own my house, a few nice cars and have some cash on hand.

It's like I am staring @ a blank screen. . . It's the 1st day of the rest of my life & got nada.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    lots of decent paying jobs. Want to work for a mine or oil fields? where do you live, what is available? what do you want to be doing in 20 years etc? School sucks unless you are going after a masters or higher imo. Lots of options here, isn't worth going into debt for a bachelors, unless it is a small amount of debt. Work somewhere that pays for you to get an engineering degree maybe?

Blog Entries
    I'm in sunny Arizona. . . Thought about the oil field thing actually.

I won't sink into debt until I get to University level. I'd start of at a local CC here.

In 20 years I want to be close to retirement

Personally if I could pick a job it would be for the city. I see em' just about every day just hanging out & collecting a fat check waiting for retirement. Even if I started as a laborer I wouldn't bitch. But, it is damn near impossible - I applied at least 10-15x.

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    2 years at a community college, 2 years at a university. You could probably do all four years there and pay close to nothing. Being that you are 31, you should qualify for grants. Especially if you have children.

Oil fields would be good money with little/no experience. What kind of career would you be interested in going back to school for?

Land surveying

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JWP806 View Post
    2 years at a community college, 2 years at a university. You could probably do all four years there and pay close to nothing. Being that you are 31, you should qualify for grants. Especially if you have children.

Oil fields would be good money with little/no experience. What kind of career would you be interested in going back to school for?

Yup, that is pretty much my plan. If I were to do "normal" schooling, CIS sounds real good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by S&S_ShovelHead View Post
    Land surveying
    I know it, I would love that job.

Super easy, pays good, gov't jobs out there. Like math?

What's CIS?

Blog Entries
    What's CIS?
    Computer Information Science

Or Economics. . . .

Now where can I get a land surveying job?

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    i just saw your post on my thread... so i found this thread

Im 36 an just started college this spring at a CC (1/2 the cost ) and am taking double class loads to grad in 1/2 the time and im taking classes from the University for the BS program... having the degree will def help and it looks like you are considering the same option.

You prob wont get any great grants cuz your not a displaced mother (or are you lol) but I think they have grants for general displaced workers ..? but even with my grants,low income and attending a CC i am still left with around 10,000.00 debt per semester in Sub and UNSUB loans...plus still need income to pay the bills while taking classes ~ something to think about.

i actualy look at land survey jobs too... town offices hire them and other co.

My old roommates brother went to a four year university on the government. He was 27 when he started but he had a kid. He wasn't a displaced mother...

IT would be a hell of a field to get into. Even having an associates can open the opportunity for some good-paying jobs. IT professionals are in such high demand right now. I recruit for a lot of positions in Cali and the industry there is so competitive. Not to mention, even if you have to take out loans, a BS in Information Technology is going to earn you far more than most degrees.

Initially I thought you meant CSI as in Crime Scene Investigation and while, no disrespect to anyone doing that, I wouldn't go back to school for something like that.

Blog Entries
    Looked for land surveying shit right now. Found nothing

I did my FASFA already and I will qualify for a full PEL Grant which is 5,300. My total CC cost will be right at 3k. . . . Even without a school note I get about 2g's back.

It will be tough to run a hustle for monthly expenses while going to school full time. I don't want to take out a note until I have(when I attend a University).

My old roommates brother went to a four year university on the government. He was 27 when he started but he had a kid. He wasn't a displaced mother...

IT would be a hell of a field to get into. Even having an associates can open the opportunity for some good-paying jobs. IT professionals are in such high demand right now. I recruit for a lot of positions in Cali and the industry there is so competitive. Not to mention, even if you have to take out loans, a BS in Information Technology is going to earn you far more than most degrees.
    Good to hear. . . .LoL. . . No CSI BS here.

Haha well CIS would definitely be worth it man. I would look into it for sure. If I could go back, I would do that as well...

Blog Entries
    Haha well CIS would definitely be worth it man. I would look into it for sure. If I could go back, I would do that as well...

I am like a hair away from enrolling. . . Just because when I start I will not stop.

Go big or go home! Come on, who else gains 45 pounds on their first cycle? Too bad half is fat, lol

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    look for diploma in computer science one year program or 2. get a job it wont pay more then 50k. get laid off get the government to pay for object oriented software technology...and u r on ur way to high levels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    look for diploma in computer science one year program or 2. get a job it wont pay more then 50k. get laid off get the government to pay for object oriented software technology...and u r on ur way to high levels.

Hmmmm, you think a computer science AA will get me a job? I already have an associates in Automotive & Diesel Technology - Transferable to nowhere.

Blog Entries
    Done & enrolled. . . . . Man, I haven't been in real school for almost a decade and a half.

Thread Information