jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life

Quality Kitchen Knives

The gf's birthday is coming up and she wants a few quality kitchen knives. I don't know the first thing about quality kitchen knives so I need some help from you guys. She wants a 7" Santoku and a fillet/boning knife.

After doing some research I think I've narrowed it down to 3 different brands.. Wusthof, J A Henckels, and Caphalon. Anyone ever used these or have experience with any other similar brands?

I'm hoping to find some long-lasting knives that will hold a good edge and remain blemish-free.. hell for $80-100+ per knife they better. She'd probably be happy with knives that cost a fraction of that, but I'm anal about quality and always want the best.. I figure you get what you pay for.

Thanks bros

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    For a good blade you will pay a good price.But you wont regret it.Both Wusthof and Henckels are good choices.I know nothing of Caphalon.I myself am going to purchase a set of Wusthof myself.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    i had a mate's kid come over giving me a presentation for the cutco line. i was expecting expensive, but $800 for a small set??? or a couple of hundred bucks for a steak knife set????

y'ouch!!!

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    wusthofs arnt bad but they can be heavy and not refined. alot of henkles are made in china now so you want to avoid those. caphalon arnt bad almost same as wusthofs. if you are willing to spend a little cash you can look for shuns online. most stores will mark them up quite a bit. also if you look online look for MACs

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    I have the cutco's bitches are sharp! The handle are great and they cut amazing. They are freaking expensive though O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Renesis View Post
    I have the cutco's bitches are sharp! The handle are great and they cut amazing. They are freaking expensive though O_O
    too expensive for my tastes. Looks like I'll have to keep my Chicago Cutlery instead!

Good steel isnt cheap.You get wat you pay for!

JP-MAN is offline Banned
    long time ago i sold the cutco.. still have the full set...
    love them, years and years later, still perfect..

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalspic View Post
    wusthofs arnt bad but they can be heavy and not refined. alot of henkles are made in china now so you want to avoid those. caphalon arnt bad almost same as wusthofs. if you are willing to spend a little cash you can look for shuns online. most stores will mark them up quite a bit. also if you look online look for MACs
    Shun for the win! but it's expensive.

I HATE Henkles I've broken the tips off a few blades of theirs. I've had the Classic Line of Wusthofs for a few years with no problems. Shuns if the gf is wife material, Wusthofs if you're still not sure, Henkles if you think one day she might use them on you.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JP-MAN
    long time ago i sold the cutco.. still have the full set...
    love them, years and years later, still perfect..
    Cutco is the best!

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Henkle is good but not great and are hard as F to sharpen.
    Shun's are bad ass and very expensive, so expensive I dont really use mine lol
    Mac' are good
    I love global! they have a specific knife (I think only 3 company's have them) for left handers, sounds stupid but its true.

Also take into concideration that she wouldnt be using them like we do, she'll be a home cook, so you dont have to get a "perfect" set. All you need for the most part is
    Chefs knife
    Paring
    Bread knife
    Slicer
    Yes there ar TONS more, boning, santuko, simatar, birds beak blah blah but at this point I wouldnt worry about them. Ohh and BTW you should get a "steel" everytime you use a blade you should run it over your steel to "hone" it, helps keep it sharper longer.

Thx for the input fellas

Leaning towards the Wusthof classics at the moment. The Shun's would be nice, but holy sh*t are they expensive.. $250+ for a knife..

I'll have to check out the cutco knives as well.. don't know anything about em

Quote Originally Posted by evander87

Shun for the win! but it's expensive.

I HATE Henkles I've broken the tips off a few blades of theirs. I've had the Classic Line of Wusthofs for a few years with no problems. Shuns if the gf is wife material, Wusthofs if you're still not sure, Henkles if you think one day she might use them on you.
    hahaha.. lol'ed at this one in my office

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Cutco is still king, but I don't like the style. I had my Capahalon knife set for almost a decade. They outlasted my marriage Plus they look very cool.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    honestly i dont think you need anything too expensive. you wont be using them as much as a cook in a restaurant would. but like anything else if you want them to last you have to tak care of them

of all the things i can drop a grand on....

....kitchen knives aint it

Quote Originally Posted by lstbred
    Henkle is good but not great and are hard as F to sharpen.
    Shun's are bad ass and very expensive, so expensive I dont really use mine lol
    Mac' are good
    I love global! they have a specific knife (I think only 3 company's have them) for left handers, sounds stupid but its true.

Also take into concideration that she wouldnt be using them like we do, she'll be a home cook, so you dont have to get a "perfect" set. All you need for the most part is
    Chefs knife
    Paring
    Bread knife
    Slicer
    Yes there ar TONS more, boning, santuko, simatar, birds beak blah blah but at this point I wouldnt worry about them. Ohh and BTW you should get a "steel" everytime you use a blade you should run it over your steel to "hone" it, helps keep it sharper longer.
    Thx man.. I think Henckels are out the window now... after reading your post n a few others, as well as online reviews, the quality seems to be inferior.

Not familiar with MAC or Global but I'll have to check em out.

What do you think about the Wusthof's?

You reccommend the chef's knife over the Santoku for general use? They look about the same to me, just the santoku looks nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by kalspic View Post
    honestly i dont think you need anything too expensive. you wont be using them as much as a cook in a restaurant would. but like anything else if you want them to last you have to tak care of them
    Agreed^^ You can get everything you need for under 3-400 and if properly taken care of they'll last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    of all the things i can drop a grand on....

....kitchen knives aint it
    Me too!! My friend used to sell knives to all the restraunts in town so I would get that at cost and saved thousands!I would never pay retail (like when I started) I would buy sets and give them away at Christmas time, saved a lot of cash and got quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    Thx man.. I think Henckels are out the window now... after reading your post n a few others, as well as online reviews, the quality seems to be inferior.

Not familiar with MAC or Global but I'll have to check em out.

What do you think about the Wusthof's?

You reccommend the chef's knife over the Santoku for general use? They look about the same to me, just the santoku looks nicer.
    Wusthofs are real good, just a little expensive, but they'll last. I'm a big guy, 6-6 and have paws that will palm your head and Wusthof's handles were a bit small for me. Should be good for a woman.....unless she has medusa fingers lol. I have a santuko but more often than not I reach for my trusty chefs knife, but thats me, I been doing this a lot longer than when the santuko became popular. So really its up to you, my money? Chefs knife. When you decide what brand/types let me know and I'll help get the right sizes for her.
    Last edited by lstbred; 07-27-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalspic
    I agree.. dont wanna spend a fortune, just lookin for affordable quality to compliment her existing set

Since it's just a couple knives figured I'd splurge a bit.. if we needed a whole set theres no way I'd be lookin at some of these

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    The cutco quality is incredible and that non-serrated but serrated edge is absolutely incredible. The sharpness of them is just scary lol. There is nothing they cannot cut

capetown is offline Senior Member
    Cutco all the way.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    if your willing to drop a lil cash have paul cox forge you a set. My wife and I got a set for our wedding and I had him make me a skinning knife and hunting knife. Imho opinion you can beat him.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Expensive but not overly I guess.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wustho...ck-set-p117191

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    J A Henckels all the way 100%.

never had any problems with mine. i also invested in a good electric sharpener from a pro shop. mine are razer sharp and never touch each other, or anything but food and a wooden cutting block.

**make sure you get the ones made in Spain (black scales)...not the wooden handle ones that are made in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Thats not bad

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    J A Henckels all the way 100%.

never had any problems with mine. i also invested in a good electric sharpener from a pro shop. mine are razer sharp and never touch each other, or anything but food and a wooden cutting block.

**make sure you get the ones made in Spain (black scales)...not the wooden handle ones that are made in Germany.
    GREAT price at overstock. $49 for 13pc set.
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/J.A.-Henckels-International-Everedge-13-piece-Knife-Set/6153379/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=ps pla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

Some of the reviews for J A Henckels are not great depending on style and a few saying they are thin and bend easily.

Dont get the "everedge" those are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    Cutco is still king, but I don't like the style. I had my Capahalon knife set for almost a decade. They outlasted my marriage Plus they look very cool.
    Hell my 12 pack of Bud lite out lasted your marriage.You made that girl go lesbo lol

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a large wusthof santoku that has a slight crack in the blade, its closer to where the hilt would be on a sword, so it doesn't get in the way, it has held an edge this entire time extremely well, never sharpened it. On the other hand I have one from chicago cutlery that is constantly dulling after each use, but the blade is much thicker, which is a problem when cutting veggies. its a pos but durable. If you get a wusthof or any expensive knife, make sure it is always used properly and they don't put any sideways torque on it when cutting, pretty sure it broke from someone not knowing how to use it.

Thx for the help fellas.. I ended up going with the Wusthof Classics. Got her a 7" Santoku, a 3.5" pairing knife, a 5" utility knife, and a Wusthof wooden cutting board. She absolutely loved em (until she came across the prices n almost had a heart attack lol)

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    Thx for the help fellas.. I ended up going with the Wusthof Classics. Got her a 7" Santoku, a 3.5" pairing knife, a 5" utility knife, and a Wusthof wooden cutting board. She absolutely loved em (until she came across the prices n almost had a heart attack lol)
    nothing gets to woman's heart like money!

i own some cutco's, been having them since 2001. i want to order a new hunting and filet from them, mine were stolen. fckin hate thieves!

Thread Information