• 2 Post By charger69
  • 2 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By Proximal
  • 2 Post By Capebuffalo
  • 1 Post By Proximal

Thread: If you read this without chills or a tear. Your not a proud citizen

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -

If you read this without chills or a tear. Your not a proud citizen

What follows is a transcript of an excerpt of an extraordinary speech given by Lieutenant General John F. Kelly USMC on November 13, 2010. What renders it so is that General Kelly’s son, First Lieutenant Robert Michael Kelly, was killed in action in Sangin, Afghanistan only four days before Lt. Gen. Kelly gave this speech. Lt. Gen. Kelly’s eldest child is also A U.S. Marine.
    I will leave you with a story about the kind of people they are…about the quality of the steel in their backs…about the kind of dedication they bring to our country while they serve in uniform and forever after as veterans. Two years ago when I was the Commander of all U.S. and Iraqi forces, in fact, the 22nd of April 2008, two Marine infantry battalions, 1/9 “The Walking Dead,” and 2/8 were switching out in Ramadi. One battalion in the closing days of their deployment going home very soon, the other just starting its seven-month combat tour. Two Marines, Corporal Jonathan Yale and Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter, 22 and 20 years old respectively, one from each battalion, were assuming the watch together at the entrance gate of an outpost that contained a makeshift barracks housing 50 Marines. The same broken down ramshackle building was also home to 100 Iraqi police, also my men and our allies in the fight against the terrorists in Ramadi, a city until recently the most dangerous city on earth and owned by Al Qaeda. Yale was a dirt poor mixed-race kid from Virginia with a wife and daughter, and a mother and sister who lived with him and he supported as well. He did this on a yearly salary of less than $23,000. Haerter, on the other hand, was a middle class white kid from Long Island. They were from two completely different worlds. Had they not joined the Marines they would never have met each other, or understood that multiple America’s exist simultaneously depending on one’s race, education level, economic status, and where you might have been born. But they were Marines, combat Marines, forged in the same crucible of Marine training, and because of this bond they were brothers as close, or closer, than if they were born of the same woman.
    The mission orders they received from the sergeant squad leader I am sure went something like: “Okay you two clowns, stand this post and let no unauthorized personnel or vehicles pass.” “You clear?” I am also sure Yale and Haerter then rolled their eyes and said in unison something like: “Yes Sergeant,” with just enough attitude that made the point without saying the words, “No kidding sweetheart, we know what we’re doing.” They then relieved two other Marines on watch and took up their post at the entry control point of Joint Security Station Nasser, in the Sophia section of Ramadi, al Anbar, Iraq.
    A few minutes later a large blue truck turned down the alley way-perhaps 60-70 yards in length-and sped its way through the serpentine of concrete jersey walls. The truck stopped just short of where the two were posted and detonated, killing them both catastrophically. Twenty-four brick masonry houses were damaged or destroyed. A mosque 100 yards away collapsed. The truck’s engine came to rest two hundred yards away knocking most of a house down before it stopped. Our explosive experts reckoned the blast was made of 2,000 pounds of explosives. Two died, and because these two young infantrymen didn’t have it in their DNA to run from danger, they saved 150 of their Iraqi and American brothers-in-arms.
    When I read the situation report about the incident a few hours after it happened I called the regimental commander for details as something about this struck me as different. Marines dying or being seriously wounded is commonplace in combat. We expect Marines regardless of rank or MOS to stand their ground and do their duty, and even die in the process, if that is what the mission takes. But this just seemed different. The regimental commander had just returned from the site and he agreed, but reported that there were no American witnesses to the event-just Iraqi police. I figured if there was any chance of finding out what actually happened and then to decorate the two Marines to acknowledge their bravery, I’d have to do it as a combat award that requires two eye-witnesses and we figured the bureaucrats back in Washington would never buy Iraqi statements. If it had any chance at all, it had to come under the signature of a general officer.
    I traveled to Ramadi the next day and spoke individually to a half-dozen Iraqi police all of whom told the same story. The blue truck turned down into the alley and immediately sped up as it made its way through the serpentine. They all said, “We knew immediately what was going on as soon as the two Marines began firing.” The Iraqi police then related that some of them also fired, and then to a man, ran for safety just prior to the explosion. All survived. Many were injured…some seriously. One of the Iraqis elaborated and with tears welling up said, “They’d run like any normal man would to save his life.” “What he didn’t know until then,” he said, “and what he learned that very instant, was that Marines are not normal.” Choking past the emotion he said, “Sir, in the name of God no sane man would have stood there and done what they did.” “No sane man.” “They saved us all.”

What we didn’t know at the time, and only learned a couple of days later after I wrote a summary and submitted both Yale and Haerter for posthumous Navy Crosses, was that one of our security cameras, damaged initially in the blast, recorded some of the suicide attack. It happened exactly as the Iraqis had described it. It took exactly six seconds from when the truck entered the alley until it detonated.

You can watch the last six seconds of their young lives. Putting myself in their heads I supposed it took about a second for the two Marines to separately come to the same conclusion about what was going on once the truck came into their view at the far end of the alley. Exactly no time to talk it over, or call the sergeant to ask what they should do. Only enough time to take half an instant and think about what the sergeant told them to do only a few minutes before: “…let no unauthorized personnel or vehicles pass.” The two Marines had about five seconds left to live.
    It took maybe another two seconds for them to present their weapons, take aim, and open up. By this time the truck was half-way through the barriers and gaining speed the whole time. Here, the recording shows a number of Iraqi police, some of whom had fired their AKs, now scattering like the normal and rational men they were-some running right past the Marines. They had three seconds left to live.
    For about two seconds more, the recording shows the Marines’ weapons firing non-stop…the truck’s windshield exploding into shards of glass as their rounds take it apart and tore in to the body of the son-of-a-bitch who is trying to get past them to kill their brothers-American and Iraqi-bedded down in the barracks totally unaware of the fact that their lives at that moment depended entirely on two Marines standing their ground. If they had been aware, they would have know they were safe…because two Marines stood between them and a crazed suicide bomber. The recording shows the truck careening to a stop immediately in front of the two Marines. In all of the instantaneous violence Yale and Haerter never hesitated. By all reports and by the recording, they never stepped back. They never even started to step aside. They never even shifted their weight. With their feet spread should width apart, they leaned into the danger, firing as fast as they could work their weapons. They had only one second left to live.
    The truck explodes. The camera goes blank. Two young men go to their God. Six seconds. Not enough time to think about their families, their country, their flag, or about their lives or their deaths, but more than enough time for two very brave young men to do their duty…into eternity. That is the kind of people who are on watch all over the world tonight-for you.

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the “land of the free and home of the brave” so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm. God Bless America, and…SEMPER FIDELIS!
    Last edited by Capebuffalo; 12-11-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Obs, MuscleScience and ghettoboyd like this.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Damn.. Those were some brave men and at such a young age too.. I got chills multiple times just reading that. True heros. RIP

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    I can't finish reading this brother. I just don't have it in me anymore. Sorry.

Thank you for your support my friend. Your a true American.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I mean wat can you say? As a xMarine I hate to read things like this.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree. Very powerful and emotional. Sad what these times have become.
    I have always thought a prerequisite to running for president should befrom you have to have served in the armed forces somewhere. The reason I say this is because our military is so large and vast we need someone with empathy to understand what the soldiers go through pre and post war. I understand that a very good businessman maybe a good president to some degree but he will have little no emotional attachment to our soldiers

This is a testament on the men and women fighting and giving their lives everyday for US. Like the eyewitness said they were not normal people. That's right their not. Non of or service people are. They should never be over looked or unappreciated.They should be thanked daily for their service because they have the guts to do what few would. Never forget what they have done do and will do for you and I.

How many of you ladies and gentlemen on the board have served our country? I thank you and your families.

Razor is offline Banned
    Semper Fi Cape and Dogg

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    What follows is a transcript of an excerpt of an extraordinary speech given by Lieutenant General John F. Kelly USMC on November 13, 2010. What renders it so is that General Kelly’s son, First Lieutenant Robert Michael Kelly, was killed in action in Sangin, Afghanistan only four days before Lt. Gen. Kelly gave this speech. Lt. Gen. Kelly’s eldest child is also A U.S. Marine.

I will leave you with a story about the kind of people they are…about the quality of the steel in their backs…about the kind of dedication they bring to our country while they serve in uniform and forever after as veterans. Two years ago when I was the Commander of all U.S. and Iraqi forces, in fact, the 22nd of April 2008, two Marine infantry battalions, 1/9 “The Walking Dead,” and 2/8 were switching out in Ramadi. One battalion in the closing days of their deployment going home very soon, the other just starting its seven-month combat tour. Two Marines, Corporal Jonathan Yale and Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter, 22 and 20 years old respectively, one from each battalion, were assuming the watch together at the entrance gate of an outpost that contained a makeshift barracks housing 50 Marines. The same broken down ramshackle building was also home to 100 Iraqi police, also my men and our allies in the fight against the terrorists in Ramadi, a city until recently the most dangerous city on earth and owned by Al Qaeda. Yale was a dirt poor mixed-race kid from Virginia with a wife and daughter, and a mother and sister who lived with him and he supported as well. He did this on a yearly salary of less than $23,000. Haerter, on the other hand, was a middle class white kid from Long Island.

They were from two completely different worlds. Had they not joined the Marines they would never have met each other, or understood that multiple America’s exist simultaneously depending on one’s race, education level, economic status, and where you might have been born. But they were Marines, combat Marines, forged in the same crucible of Marine training, and because of this bond they were brothers as close, or closer, than if they were born of the same woman.
    The mission orders they received from the sergeant squad leader I am sure went something like: “Okay you two clowns, stand this post and let no unauthorized personnel or vehicles pass.” “You clear?” I am also sure Yale and Haerter then rolled their eyes and said in unison something like: “Yes Sergeant,” with just enough attitude that made the point without saying the words, “No kidding sweetheart, we know what we’re doing.” They then relieved two other Marines on watch and took up their post at the entry control point of Joint Security Station Nasser, in the Sophia section of Ramadi, al Anbar, Iraq.

A few minutes later a large blue truck turned down the alley way-perhaps 60-70 yards in length-and sped its way through the serpentine of concrete jersey walls. The truck stopped just short of where the two were posted and detonated, killing them both catastrophically. Twenty-four brick masonry houses were damaged or destroyed. A mosque 100 yards away collapsed. The truck’s engine came to rest two hundred yards away knocking most of a house down before it stopped. Our explosive experts reckoned the blast was made of 2,000 pounds of explosives. Two died, and because these two young infantrymen didn’t have it in their DNA to run from danger, they saved 150 of their Iraqi and American brothers-in-arms.

When I read the situation report about the incident a few hours after it happened I called the regimental commander for details as something about this struck me as different. Marines dying or being seriously wounded is commonplace in combat. We expect Marines regardless of rank or MOS to stand their ground and do their duty, and even die in the process, if that is what the mission takes. But this just seemed different. The regimental commander had just returned from the site and he agreed, but reported that there were no American witnesses to the event-just Iraqi police.

I figured if there was any chance of finding out what actually happened and then to decorate the two Marines to acknowledge their bravery, I’d have to do it as a combat award that requires two eye-witnesses and we figured the bureaucrats back in Washington would never buy Iraqi statements. If it had any chance at all, it had to come under the signature of a general officer.

I traveled to Ramadi the next day and spoke individually to a half-dozen Iraqi police all of whom told the same story. The blue truck turned down into the alley and immediately sped up as it made its way through the serpentine. They all said, “We knew immediately what was going on as soon as the two Marines began firing.” The Iraqi police then related that some of them also fired, and then to a man, ran for safety just prior to the explosion. All survived. Many were injured…some seriously. One of the Iraqis elaborated and with tears welling up said, “They’d run like any normal man would to save his life.” “What he didn’t know until then,” he said, “and what he learned that very instant, was that Marines are not normal.” Choking past the emotion he said, “Sir, in the name of God no sane man would have stood there and done what they did.” “No sane man.” “They saved us all.”

What we didn’t know at the time, and only learned a couple of days later after I wrote a summary and submitted both Yale and Haerter for posthumous Navy Crosses, was that one of our security cameras, damaged initially in the blast, recorded some of the suicide attack. It happened exactly as the Iraqis had described it. It took exactly six seconds from when the truck entered the alley until it detonated.

You can watch the last six seconds of their young lives. Putting myself in their heads I supposed it took about a second for the two Marines to separately come to the same conclusion about what was going on once the truck came into their view at the far end of the alley. Exactly no time to talk it over, or call the sergeant to ask what they should do. Only enough time to take half an instant and think about what the sergeant told them to do only a few minutes before: “…let no unauthorized personnel or vehicles pass.” The two Marines had about five seconds left to live.

It took maybe another two seconds for them to present their weapons, take aim, and open up. By this time the truck was half-way through the barriers and gaining speed the whole time. Here, the recording shows a number of Iraqi police, some of whom had fired their AKs, now scattering like the normal and rational men they were-some running right past the Marines. They had three seconds left to live.
    For about two seconds more, the recording shows the Marines’ weapons firing non-stop…the truck’s windshield exploding into shards of glass as their rounds take it apart and tore in to the body of the son-of-a-bitch who is trying to get past them to kill their brothers-American and Iraqi-bedded down in the barracks totally unaware of the fact that their lives at that moment depended entirely on two Marines standing their ground. If they had been aware, they would have know they were safe…because two Marines stood between them and a crazed suicide bomber.

The recording shows the truck careening to a stop immediately in front of the two Marines. In all of the instantaneous violence Yale and Haerter never hesitated. By all reports and by the recording, they never stepped back. They never even started to step aside. They never even shifted their weight. With their feet spread should width apart, they leaned into the danger, firing as fast as they could work their weapons. They had only one second left to live.

The truck explodes. The camera goes blank. Two young men go to their God. Six seconds. Not enough time to think about their families, their country, their flag, or about their lives or their deaths, but more than enough time for two very brave young men to do their duty…into eternity. That is the kind of people who are on watch all over the world tonight-for you.

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today.

Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the “land of the free and home of the brave” so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm. God Bless America, and…SEMPER
    Great story, I had to break it up into paragraphs to read it better. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Semper Fi Cape and Dogg
    I thought you would appreciate it. Thank you Razor.

Razor is offline Banned
    I thought you would appreciate it. Thank you Razor.

bump for all to read

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    It makes ones blood boil and want to just drop a A-Bomb over there and turn all that sand into a glass skating arena. But yeah I know we can't do that. But sometimes we feel like though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    It makes ones blood boil and want to just drop a A-Bomb over there and turn all that sand into a glass skating arena. But yeah I know we can't do that. But sometimes we feel like though.
    I agree but that's not the point. That shit happens in countries all over the world everyday. Do you think two French soldiers would do this or Italian? (no offence).These two men a small sample of our military stood there. Leaning into death to save the lives of others. Never stopped firing never waivered. Never thought about retreat. Their training their beliefs their lives. Right wrong or other when we walk in to the valley of death we fear no man because we are the badest mother fu*kers in the valley.

gonejeepin is offline Associate Member
    I'm not a citizen but that's an incredile example of courage. Doing their duty full knowing the inevitable consequence and the thought of retreat never crossing their mind. A special breed.

Quote Originally Posted by gonejeepin View Post
    I'm not a citizen but that's an incredile example of courage. Doing their duty full knowing the inevitable consequence and the thought of retreat never crossing their mind. A special breed.
    I can only pray I will have that courage if my time comes in a situation such as that. That sir is true grit.

Semiper Fi Marines.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Good share Cape
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Good share Cape
    I think we all need to be reminded sometimes what our men and women in the Armed Forces give for our Freedom.
    Obs and ghettoboyd like this.

Obs
    I think we all need to be reminded sometimes what our men and women in the Armed Forces give for our Freedom.
    Yes.
    Military is the only government institution I respect anymore. Everyone owes them respect
    Capebuffalo and ghettoboyd like this.

Obs likes this.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've got three buddies that I watch football with, all 3 were marines, served in Iraq. One of them is my best friend, he was a machine gunner, hes a hoss. He and another one were in the same unit and cleared houses in Fallujah. They are some bad mother fuckers!
    Capebuffalo, Proximal and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    I've got three buddies that I watch football with, all 3 were marines, served in Iraq. One of them is my best friend, he was a machine gunner, hes a hoss. He and another one were in the same unit and cleared houses in Fallujah. They are some bad mother fuckers!
    Let em know I appreciate everything they did for me.
    Obs and guitarzan like this.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Let em know I appreciate everything they did for me.
    Absolutely
    Capebuffalo and Obs like this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yale and Haerter are still under consideration for Medals of Honor.
    Capebuffalo and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Yale and Haerter are still under consideration for Medals of Honor.
    If my vote counted then have it. They saved 100’s of lives that day.
    Obs likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Yes.
    Military is the only government institution I respect anymore. Everyone owes them respect
    Obs, I'll just disagree with you about police.

Greatest individuals protecting the greatest country.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Obs, I'll just disagree with you about police.

Greatest individuals protecting the greatest country.
    I don't hate cops.
    Its simply an individual basis like all things.
    Once you have them twisting your arm behind your back saying "stop resisting" it changes the flavor.
    Yes every group has good and bad, I fully understand that.

I would in no way call them the greatest group though.

Military is and will always be #1 imo.
    My opinions are not influenced by social media or the f the police movement the inner city animals perpetuate by getting liberal idiots on their side, which have no clue what the real world is like.

I was a little to vauge there because I have extreme respect for firefighters and emt's.

The police need higher pay and a much more rigorous selection process.
    Last edited by Obs; 12-12-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Proximal and Chrisp83TRT like this.

I don't hate cops.
    Its simply an individual basis like all things.
    Once you have them twisting your arm behind your back saying "stop resisting" it changes the flavor.
    Yes every group has good and bad, I fully understand that.

I would in no way call them the greatest group though. You

Military is and will always be #1 imo.
    My opinions are not influenced by social media or the f the police movement the inner city animals perpetuate by getting liberal idiots on their side, which have no clue what the real world is like.

I was a little to vauge there because I have extreme respect for firefighters and emt's.

The police need higher pay and a much more rigorous selection process.
    First off, sorry for the detour CB. A great tribute to great men.

And let me clarify. By the greatest, I was referring directly to the individuals of this post (military).

Agree about firefighters & emt's. Also agree with the final statement about selection & salaries. I also didn't mean to imply that you hated cops. I'm just a bit more forgiving. I have been treated rudely by police, but put myself in their place & I didn't have an issue.

Again, apologies CB.
    Obs likes this.

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery13 View Post
    I can't finish reading this brother. I just don't have it in me anymore. Sorry.

Thank you for your support my friend. Your a true American.
    God bless your icon lol

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As obs said , there is good and bad in every aspect of life ...

On that note, their are plenty of assfucks that serve this country that i wouldn't trust with my turd I dropped in the toilet.

Just because people serve or "protect" and serve, just remember alot of people choose that path for other reasons such as income or because they dont have a direction in life.

I may be off topic but yeah good and bad in every aspect lol

Obs and Proximal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp83TRT View Post
    God bless your icon lol

Misery was a Green Beret. Went through some serious shit back in the day.
    Chrisp83TRT and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp83TRT View Post
    As obs said , there is good and bad in every aspect of life ...

On that note, their are plenty of assfucks that serve this country that i wouldn't trust with my turd I dropped in the toilet.

Just because people serve or "protect" and serve, just remember alot of people choose that path for other reasons such as income or because they dont have a direction in life.

I may be off topic but yeah good and bad in every aspect lol

Completely agreed. But anyone who puts on a uniform knowing that part of the job description is death or injury while serving others? Well they can be the biggest assfuck in the world, but still, I’ll give them my respect and a pass practically every time.
    Chrisp83TRT and Obs like this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Completely agreed. But anyone who puts on a uniform knowing that part of the job description is death or injury while serving others? Well they can be the biggest assfuck in the world, but still, I’ll give them my respect and a pass practically every time.
    Agreed!!!

C130 rolling down the strip
    Airborne Ranger on a one way trip
    Mission top secret destination unknown
    He don’t know if he’s ever coming home.

Here’s one for Obs

I know a girl with a 40 inch bust
    She motivates me when she bends and thrusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proximal and Obs like this.

Obs
    Police and firefighters deaths per 100k=6.2

Loggers deaths per 100k=132.7

Arborism is worse but they lump it with lawn care which is booooooooooooollllshit.

I dont go for the "life on the line" rhetoric of police and firefighters.
    My appreciation is what they do. I have met some very badass cops and firefighters who were basically fearless and the salt of the earth.

Military is different...
    A war breaks out and the most dangerous jobs become irrelevant.

Odds of fatalitiy such as in WW2 were 1 in 56
    overall though statistics vary.
    The US army infantry absorbed most of the casuaties at 50-70% though they were only 7-14% of the armed forces.

The unfathomable difference makes the military the highest honor that there is.

Leaving your family to travel across the world, (thank God for police and firefighters) to basically pick a number between 1 and 10 to see if you ever get to see them again, is the most noble thing a man will find to do.

The two marines in this thread deserve the medal of honor.

Whether military, emergency personnel, or police,
    The honor is in the task they perform selflessly.

Military is #1

Just clarifying so people dont think I am some sort of anarchist.
    Proximal and Capebuffalo like this.

You, an anarchist? Buddy, you are rock-solid in my opinion.

I just know that I’m sitting comfortably right now & with peace of mind, because men & women are watching over me. Thank you!
    Obs likes this.

Skip to the :45 sec mark. True words are spoken.
    Obs and Proximal like this.

Skip to the :45 sec mark. True words are spoken.
    CB, one of my favorite scenes of all time. Some of the greatest dialogue written & spoken of all time.

I’m clear with this, crystal clear.
    Obs likes this.

Thread Information