baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100

What power rack do you have

Im looking ahead and thinking which power rack to buy for in my next home.... Gona put together a sick home gym... I could weld up my own one but it's a pain in the ass getting the wholes drilled out and once all that has been done and I've had it jpowder coated I may as well have payed the extra for a new 1...

I have seen been looking around but these watson racks look the best to me.....

What do u guys have? I'm from the UK as well...

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Pullum Sports do racks and equipment mate, or it'd prob would be alot cheaper if you got a metal works to weld one up for you and then do the smoothing work and paint yourself.
    my 1st gym was owned by a guy who's father was a metal worker and he did ALL his machines and you couldnt have spotted the diff from what you'd see in a commercial gym

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    hope this link is allowed, if not delete.

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/pro-g...es/cat_42.html

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    Pullum Sports do racks and equipment mate, or it'd prob would be alot cheaper if you got a metal works to weld one up for you and then do the smoothing work and paint yourself.
    my 1st gym was owned by a guy who's father was a metal worker and he did ALL his machines and you couldnt have spotted the diff from what you'd see in a commercial gym
    I have made 1 b4 m8... Welded a big rack up but it wasnt a power rack as such....

The problem is the cost of drilling the wholes (large dia wholes)... I have already been quoted and it's not cheap, then on top of that to powder coat it's gonna cost me a bit as well considering moving it around is gonna cost 2.....

I will have to get it all quoted up again if I look to build it myself.....

From pullum ur looking around the grand mark also

I could however drill the wholes myself but just drill them smaller and use a big thick tube for supports... Like this rack

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Yeah if I knew wat I know now.I wouldve bought one like that.Now I got to buy it twice

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Im in this industry but I'm not familiar with that brand.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0707021140.jpg 
Views:	1079 
Size:	426.5 KB 
ID:	126172

I built this rack and platform, and it is awesome. saved me a grand probably.

and drilling all those holes took forever and seriously sucked hardcore, I don't think I would do so many holes again, although I love that it is in perfect position for bench and squat, and if i want to close grip bench I can raise it a little. But of course I have my few hole positions I like.
    Last edited by SEOINAGE; 09-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.

oh and you use a smaller rod with a bigger tube kind of sleeve for the supports, really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    oh and you use a smaller rod with a bigger tube kind of sleeve for the supports, really strong.
    Exactly....it just not as 'nice' as the newer ones with the big wholes....

I did get it quoted up bor the box section all cut to size with the wholes drilled (25mm) in all 4 uprights and it still worked out cheaper but was not a lot cheaper.....

When they produce these they make them in massive batches and have all the wholes laser cut..... I did enquire about laser cutting but the cost for a 1 off is too great....

My dad owns a factory making/ pressing vintage car parts..... He has a 30 tone whole press that would do the job but not in box section..... Maybe we can work out a way to do it..... He also has a lot of stuff powder coated so maybe this is the best route to take....

When the time comes I will need to talk to him about it....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0707021140.jpg 
Views:	1079 
Size:	426.5 KB 
ID:	126172

I built this rack and platform, and it is awesome. saved me a grand probably.

and drilling all those holes took forever and seriously sucked hardcore, I don't think I would do so many holes again, although I love that it is in perfect position for bench and squat, and if i want to close grip bench I can raise it a little. But of course I have my few hole positions I like.
    That rack looks wkd.... I like the close whole spacings for benching...

Did u just drill the wholes with a pillar drill?

I'm defo gona make a platform myself...

i don't even know what the drill is called but it was some form of drill press, but i made the mistake of making the holes the size of the rods and not oversized, so I redrilled using a hand held drill a size larger, didn't take as long as the first holes. I was lucky and used the facilities of a local welding shop, my work has these guys do a lot of stuff for us, so they were more than happy to help me out. I have a few more things I want to build, like a weight tree, and a deadlift bar jack, and convert that second bar I have in the background into a safety squat bar, eventually will do it. I would love to make an olympic platform, my rack is designed to bolt down, so I have no place to do cleans and snatches, of course then I would want bumper plates etc, gets expensive, oh and a snappy bar. Not to mention my garage isn't big enough.

i don't even know what the drill is called but it was some form of drill press, but i made the mistake of making the holes the size of the rods and not oversized, so I redrilled using a hand held drill a size larger, didn't take as long as the first holes. I was lucky and used the facilities of a local welding shop, my work has these guys do a lot of stuff for us, so they were more than happy to help me out. I have a few more things I want to build, like a weight tree, and a deadlift bar jack, and convert that second bar I have in the background into a safety squat bar, eventually will do it. I would love to make an olympic platform, my rack is designed to bolt down, so I have no place to do cleans and snatches, of course then I would want bumper plates etc, gets expensive, oh and a snappy bar. Not to mention my garage isn't big enough.
    U sound like me m8..

I ent even got a garbage at my house now.... Thinking for my next house

I will be making all of those things u have mentioned....

Power rack with pull up bar and dip attachments like shown above...
    Adjustable bench
    Flat bench
    Dead lift jack
    Seated calf raise machine
    Standing calf raise attachment for the power cage (PM me if u want my idea on this)
    Reverse hyper to be used in the rack
    Olympic lifting platform

These are all the things in going to either buy or make..... If I go down the road of building all of it then it will work out cheap as I can have all the powder coating done in one big batch

I only have the flat bench I built, wouldn't mind an adjustable one, but I don't miss inclines really, used to be my favorite, and I do my overhead pressing standing. I would love a reverse hyper, and a glute ham raise, second can be built out of wood. I would also like a dip attachment because I use rings for dips, and it always makes me hurt in a bad way so I rarely do them. Calves though i gave up on working them with isolations, never grew any faster hitting them hard, and calf raises and such aren't that functional, so i rely on sprints or hill sprints to do the trick.

If you want all that make sure you have a massive garage, and that you can keep any extra junk out of there. We don't park in ours, but I keep my dirt bikes in there because not a chance I would leave my new one outside, we have a small shed too that I put anything long term in, mostly all my wife's junk. But what I want to do in my next house is have a detached shop or something, so I can have half of it for lifting, other half for working on bikes and other hobbies. And keep any and all junk completely out of it. All things I would do if I had more money or made more, if I'm not there in a few years at my current position I will be making a change, no point in working so hard and being a slave if you aren't compensated at what you can be worth.

Thread Information