Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator

USA and the Metric system

Why does the USA not change to the metric system. The entire world is using it...why the hold up?

Join us!!

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Why does the USA not change to the metric system. The entire world is using it...why the hold up?

Join us!!
    I remember learning Metric in grade school back in the 60s and 70s. I guess it was never meant to be.

MrDezel is offline Banned
    All I gotta say is that the **** conversions drive me f'n nutssssssssss. We should do something about it!

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    The metric system is a tool of the hegemonic power consortium that would just as soon reduce humanity to a puppet singularity to play jester on their sick and twisted stage. GIVE ME INCHES OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!!!!

Besides, 'football is a game of centimeters' just sucks.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    because most Americans are smart enough to do the conversion....j/k

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head, and thats the way I likes it!

Granted the metric system has easy conversions, but when some one is talkin km/h Im thinkin "wtf how fast is that?" And degrees celsius, I have no clue how to think of this. The conversions are multiply by deg farenhiet by 9/5 or 5/9 or some junk. I remember one inch is 2.54cm. Thats it.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    i know...1lb=448g, 456g with the bag

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head, and thats the way I likes it!
    I was waiting for someone to quote that from Grandpa Simpson.

A rod is around 16.5 feet...and a hogshead is around 63 gallons. Roughly speaking, Grandpa's car gets 0.0025 miles per gallon. He must be driving a top fuel funny car.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    MBH, haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain Whatshisname? We live in a society of laws! Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you? Except at that guy who made sound effects.

Where was I? Oh yeah! Stay out of my booze.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Well the US formally adopted the metric system back in the late 1960's-as a rule, the US is a "metric country"..however adopted on paper-it never trickled down to anything other than the adoption itself!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Educated Americans, all three of them , do use the mertic system because of it's ease of use and greater precision than the imperial system. Imperial works ok when you get larger but imagine trying to calculate nano, pico, exa anything with imperial.....ouch! Teaching kids something new is easy but imagine trying to convert everything from textbooks to factory machinery to cooking utensils.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Educated Americans, all three of them , do use the mertic system because of it's ease of use and greater precision than the imperial system. Imperial works ok when you get larger but imagine trying to calculate nano, pico, exa anything with imperial.....ouch! Teaching kids something new is easy but imagine trying to convert everything from textbooks to factory machinery to cooking utensils.
    actually it isnt that hard to do-even soldiers/sailors/marines handle the conversion..as we work on NATO aircraft, teach pubs are all metric..we change from P-3 to Tornados to Cheetahs...no problems on the conversions.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Working in Construction we use Tenths of a foot, similar to the Metric system.

When I am asked why we use Tenths of a foot, I always explain that there only two kids of people in the world who deal in Inches, Carpenters and Whores, the rest of us deal in Tenths!

The real reason is trying to multiply or divide by Inches is harder than Chinese arithmetic!

LOL 'even soldiers/sailors/marines handle the conversion'.....ouch!

The conversions are not difficult, in fact many decent calculators will do them for you. Imperial is ok in the macro (ie you can see it with the naked eye) perspective but is is not the best to work with in a micro context. What you said is definitely true but the imperial system sucks for any area of science.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSlamma
    actually it isnt that hard to do-even soldiers/sailors/marines handle the conversion..as we work on NATO aircraft, teach pubs are all metric..we change from P-3 to Tornados to Cheetahs...no problems on the conversions.

Tushe is offline Associate Member
    I always post my weight in KG, and all you guys ask for it in lb!

but multiplying by 2.2 isn't so hard.

T.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Tushe
    but multiplying by 2.2 isn't so hard.

T.
    No way will that EVER happen....need I remind you of our public education system? hahahaha

Natural Mac is offline Associate Member
    I was waiting for someone to quote that from Grandpa Simpson.

A rod is around 16.5 feet...and a hogshead is around 63 gallons. Roughly speaking, Grandpa's car gets 0.0025 miles per gallon. He must be driving a top fuel funny car.

How do you know that sh#t? Is there a left field book for odd and unusually unit conversions?

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    Its so we have to buy 50000000000 different **** tools....

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Metric speed sucks. 100km/h is only like 60mph, what the hell? If youre metric goin a buck or buck 10, that aint $hit! If youre good ole English system 100mph is pretty d@mn fast for interstates around here.

I remember somthing about that the metric system was actually passed to be our system for the US, but no one uses it because it was about 200 years late.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    Working in Construction we use Tenths of a foot, similar to the Metric system.

When I am asked why we use Tenths of a foot, I always explain that there only two kids of people in the world who deal in Inches, Carpenters and Whores, the rest of us deal in Tenths!

The real reason is trying to multiply or divide by Inches is harder than Chinese arithmetic!

One advantage that I see to using the American system is divisibility.

12 can be divided by 2, 3, 4 and 6
    10 can be divided by 2 and 5

It's easy to divide something by 3, 4, or 6 in feet (or 4, 8, and 16 for inches) when your ruler is already marked precisely at those points.

I've only ever heard of tenths of a foot by you. In small home/commercial construction, plumbing, electrical, metal work, etc we all use inches.

Metric is however superior to work with on paper.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    One advantage that I see to using the American system is divisibility.

12 can be divided by 2, 3, 4 and 6
    10 can be divided by 2 and 5

It's easy to divide something by 3, 4, or 6 in feet (or 4, 8, and 16 for inches) when your ruler is already marked precisely at those points.

I've only ever heard of tenths of a foot by you. In small home/commercial construction, plumbing, electrical, metal work, etc we all use inches.

Metric is however superior to work with on paper.

It comes from a Surveying background, and large comercial construction, you won't see Tenths in residential construction.

Sorry I should have explained, I really ment trying to devide by Inches and fractions of Inches, it is difficult to divide 5' 8 15/32" by 1' 1 11/16".

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Mac
    How do you know that sh#t? Is there a left field book for odd and unusually unit conversions?
    Smart cookie huh?

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i work in the metal working industry and i can tell you its a pain in the ass... we work with both imperial and metric system... it sucks pretty bad when it come to tooling...

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    GIVE ME INCHES OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!!!!

Er sorry bro... I don't swing that way!

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    i have a problem using my tool sometimes too, so complicated

Smart cookie huh?
    Not only smart, but you know how to take care of the feminine odor!! That post was awesome. Your are my idol!!!

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    He has years of experience playing with dirty twat, so yea, he should know how to take care of it

chances is offline Associate Member
    Conversion between metric and imperial is pretty easy:

2.2 liters to 1 gallon
    2.2 kilograms to 1 pound

convert kph to mph approximately:
    multiple kph by 6 and drop last number (i.e. - 120kph X 6 = 720 so mph = 72)

convert mph to kph approximately:
    multiple mph by 6, drop last number and add mph (i.e. 72 X 6 = 432 then 72 + 43 = 115)

celcius to fahrenhite:
    (degrees C X 5/9) + 32

fahrenhite to celcius:
    5/9 X (degrees F - 32)

Not that big a deal actually.

chance

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    hey were not the only ones. the PDR of Yemen also uses the standard system.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    I think the reason we haven't gone over is just because we have gotten so used to the Standard......IMO we should have been on the Metric, but it would be kind of a hastle just to change everything now. Its not really a big deal anyway......

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    In engineering, its a pain in the azz to use anything but metric, I don't know anyone who would waste their time with the english system, especially if u have to remember stupid lil annoying constants like the gravitational constant when using the english system.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    In engineering, its a pain in the azz to use anything but metric, I don't know anyone who would waste their time with the english system, especially if u have to remember stupid lil annoying constants like the gravitational constant when using the english system.
    D#mn straight. This slug crap is for the birds.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks its no big deal has obviously never spent any time working with both systems. Consider electricity, volts, amps, ohms, are metric.......liquid volume and distance are aren't related in the Imperial system.....the conversions all have different factors which makes anything beyond simple calculations tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    I remember hearing somewhere the reason they don't convert fully is because re-labeling all imports/exports, all kinds of stocks, etc. would cost in the billions. I say just give all the homeless people label guns and let them loose in stock houses, 1 cent per box re-labeled

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    this is america we do what we want and make the rest of the world conform to us lol

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    No crap...i wish it were all metric...when i was mechanical engineer major, we did everything in metric. it is so much easier to use when everything is base ten, because math itself is in base 10...not freaking base 12

in medicine, we do alot of mixed. body mass is always in kg for medicine dosing. sometimes height is in inches and body temp is in F....pregnant women dialate to cm...pressures in O2 tanks are in psi though...its mixed and gay.

the funny thing though...ignorants americans have done to the SI system reguarding mass and force.

you dont WEIGH 200lbs. thats the force gravity exerts on you. weight is a measurement of MASS. so to be correct, we would say we weigh 6.25 slugs, which approximates to 200lbs of force. its futile to try to correct anyone or ask them the truth, so i guess as long as the gravitational force remains the same here on earth it should be ok. however, 100kg will be 100kg wether its on the moon or the earth

the stupist thing I ever seen, is for an engineering project. we had to use small electric motors to build something and then calculate all the forces and etc. anywho..the torque rating was in G * CM... it stumped the entire class. How can mass * distance = torque... so we thought...maybe they mean the gravitational constant G (not g, but G)...so we did 2 pages worth of calculations and found an answer only to realise that it was some rediculous number

so we call radio shack, they put G for grams. so we had to use the F=MA to figure out the actual force from it...it was so stupid...all because they wanted to make it easier for the people that deal with weight=force people...

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    So i take it that no one here uses millimetres? i work in construction and thats all we use, actually i remember chica uses millimetres too.......about 3 mm is how far his tool passes his knuckles when hes holding it.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    So i take it that no one here uses millimetres? i work in construction and thats all we use, actually i remember chica uses millimetres too.......about 3 mm is how far his tool passes his knuckles when hes holding it.
    Canadians use the metrics system.. yes..

Sup Kiwi! Long time brutha!

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i wish we had the metric system as standard, it would be sooo much easier for stuff. at least all my tools are metric lol

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggy'sTwat
    MBH, haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain Whatshisname? We live in a society of laws! Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you? Except at that guy who made sound effects.

Where was I? Oh yeah! Stay out of my booze.

I love it!

The US army uses the metric system right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information