Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bouncing

Bouncing

So I've wanted to get into bouncing since I quit drinking. Something to do on the weekends. A buddy called me up today and offered me a 4 hour gig on Saturday. It'll be me and him bouncing at a hall that a bunch of firefighters rent out for Halloween. Pay is $120 each.

Any tips from you veteran bouncers? Any funny stories?

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Always treat the customer as you would expect to be treated. Seriously, it makes a huge difference. You could of had 100 shit customers come through the door, but that 101st customer deserves a smile still.

It's different laws for the us? You don't require a special license to bounce?

Atomini is offline Banned
    I've done it for a short while. Lots of stories lol. You just need to build up experience doing this job so that you know how to deal increasingly efficiently deal with people. As a general rule, I always used the 3 strikes and you're out rule. If I have to ask someone to stop doing something, or if they give me a hard time about enforcing a rule, I will be nice to them 3 times. After the 3rd attempt at being negotiable, I tell them its time to leave. If there are people far too wasted to be in the club and they are causing problems - they're out on the first sign of trouble. No 3 strikes there, but it depends on how wasted the person is.

Also remember to keep your eyes open at all times and be constantly mindful of people and your surroundings. Pay attention to detail and the crowds. You never know what some people are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Always treat the customer as you would expect to be treated. Seriously, it makes a huge difference. You could of had 100 shit customers come through the door, but that 101st customer deserves a smile still.

It's different laws for the us? You don't require a special license to bounce?
    I don't know about the US, but here in Canada there are a lot of people and crews that bounce unlicensed. It's a risky thing, because if something happens then any unlicensed bouncers are screwed. I figure the same thing happens in the States too. But you do need to be licensed, yes.

I'm in Canada. You need a license but my buddy just said to say I forgot it at home if asked. If I wanted a regular gig I'd need it.

Don't hold out on those awesome stories atomini... What ever happened to that broad you were smashing you snagged from a job?

Atomini is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by S&S_ShovelHead View Post
    Don't hold out on those awesome stories atomini... What ever happened to that broad you were smashing you snagged from a job?
    Ohh that whole thing went to shit real fast. The girl turned out to be a flake and a liar, and I have not talked to her in a little over a month now. And I never got the bouncing gig back. Interesting how life works sometimes lol. Doesn't phase me though, if I want I can get a bouncing job at any other place no problem.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal

red_hulk is offline Member
    I've never been a bouncer, but have had some bad experiences. A lot of them around get on a power trip and are douchebags or use excessive force. It's more like they're at work looking to fight someone at the bar. I got into with a guy about a month ago who broke up an argument by grabbing my friend, picking him up, and slamming him on the ground and then started choking him.

I also have a friend that bounces who is a cool dude and doesn't get that way at all with people. It just depends on the individual (like anything else)

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal
    From memory or did u have to watch the scene??

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    What if he calls your mom a whore?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Is she?

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Pulled a lot of chicks bouncing and broke a few noses. It was fun while I was younger, but in a college town pay is shitty and not worth it

red_hulk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1
    Took me this long to realize this is road house hahaha

But seriously the best approach is to avoid conflict. Unless its a brawl that has already started, force is hardly ever needed. I was the nice guy bouncer most of the time. I could talk down just about any situation and have people leave under their own will.

Occasionally you will encounter an angry drunk that wont leave and will try to get pushy. It usually takes a full nelson at most while assisting them out of the bar

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Whatever you do, if you're on a balcony breaking up a scuffle and someone runs at you full speed, do NOT tuck your shoulder into their abdomen and use their momentum to flip them over you and off the balcony...

...result is fired and charges presses against you that will get dropped but give u a hell of a headache lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Whatever you do, if you're on a balcony breaking up a scuffle and someone runs at you full speed, do NOT tuck your shoulder into their abdomen and use their momentum to flip them over you and off the balcony...

...result is fired and charges presses against you that will get dropped but give u a hell of a headache lol
    That was my game plan from the get go, Ill have to rethink everything now.

Remington is offline Alligator
    You haven't worked as a bouncer til you've worked in a Las Vegas nightclub.
    That's what I do.
    I used to wanna blow my brains out, til I realized it's the same sh!t every single night.

The one thing I and everybody else I work with ALL agree on is that the absolute worst problems are with the girls.

Doods are soooooo much easier to deal with.
    Girls on the other hand are just plain ol vicious.

I can't wait to get out of this industry.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    From memory or did u have to watch the scene??
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Is she?
    I waited all day for someone to catch on...thanks fellas lol.

Mostly from memory 405 but I did have to confirm it lol

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Is she?
    Scene: Tearing up napkin and throwing it on the bar.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Just be aware that out of all of the positions in a nightclub or bar, you have the shittiest:

1.) You make the least money
    2.) You deal with the most bullshit
    3.) You run the greatest chance of getting hurt
    4.) You run the greatest chance of hurting someone else
    5.) You are constantly over ridden by management
    6.) You are a disposable security guard, and they could hire someone else for less pay the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    Just be aware that out of all of the positions in a nightclub or bar, you have the shittiest:

1.) You make the least money
    2.) You deal with the most bullshit
    3.) You run the greatest chance of getting hurt
    4.) You run the greatest chance of hurting someone else
    5.) You are constantly over ridden by management
    6.) You are a disposable security guard, and they could hire someone else for less pay the next day.
    Very true. A bouncer is the true bottom of the totem pole when it comes to bars.

Its not hard to find a relatively big guy that you can tell to make sure people dont fight. THerefore, you screw up, and you are gone in my experience. I made frieds with most managers and felt I was a favorite at the places I worked, but still would make 8-10 dollars an hour, working until 4 am, and cleaning peoples trash at the end of the night

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    You haven't worked as a bouncer til you've worked in a Las Vegas nightclub.
    That's what I do.
    I used to wanna blow my brains out, til I realized it's the same sh!t every single night.

The one thing I and everybody else I work with ALL agree on is that the absolute worst problems are with the girls.

Doods are soooooo much easier to deal with.
    Girls on the other hand are just plain ol vicious.

I can't wait to get out of this industry.
    To me, women are the second biggest issue/annoyance. Club PROMOTERS are the absolute worst. They think they can come in, act like an asshole, and essentially do whatever they want because they brought a couple people here. Listen asshole, you don't work here, you PROMOTE here - big difference. You don't get a different rule book than everybody else. I've thrown promoters out of clubs numerous times. If the owner or management had a problem with it, I would respond with: "Well the next time a promoter punches a guy in the face, slaps a girls ass, or disrespects the bartender, I'll just sit back and watch."

...Of course they never had much of a rebuttal, other than a dumbfounded look on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    Very true. A bouncer is the true bottom of the totem pole when it comes to bars.

Its not hard to find a relatively big guy that you can tell to make sure people dont fight. THerefore, you screw up, and you are gone in my experience. I made frieds with most managers and felt I was a favorite at the places I worked, but still would make 8-10 dollars an hour, working until 4 am, and cleaning peoples trash at the end of the night

Im fortunate enough that I have an extensive resume and don't get taken advantage like most people do in this business. I get 17/hr cash and don't do any janitorial/clean up work. This one of the few clubs in the tri state area that actually pays for size and experience. But I do remember being a freshman in college and making $60 a night, and doing more extra work than the other staff did combined.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Its like any other business if you want to make real money you need to be the guy they are talking to on the phone when they dial not that guy who does the actual work

[/B]

Im fortunate enough that I have an extensive resume and don't get taken advantage like most people do in this business. I get 17/hr cash and don't do any janitorial/clean up work. This one of the few clubs in the tri state area that actually pays for size and experience. But I do remember being a freshman in college and making $60 a night, and doing more extra work than the other staff did combined.
    That would be a killing in this college town. i bounced in bars for 4 years. I was a college football player and still made little to nothing. I did manage on occasion but I personally didnt want the responsibility for a low rate job. It was more for extra money on the side and to keep myself entertained in offseasons. I have worked in bars and clubs that involve cleaning after, while others was simply leave at the end of the night. Some would hand you cash at the end of every night, others was an envelope of cash once a week, and one actually paid by a true payroll on checks.

Not something I would personally do again in my area. South florida is slightly more appealing but I dont plan on moving there anytime soon

If club owners actually paid guys for what they're worth - most of this side money would stop.
    Last edited by Gaspari1255; 12-23-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Yes and no. There is a lot of "dirty" money in clubs if you know how to be slick. Letting people in underage; letting people in without proper dress code for money I've gotten to the point where two people would fight, and I would quietly ask each one of them privately outside who wanted to come back in the most aka who wants to give me more $. Big clubs in NYC you can make a good buck taking drugs, off of people, and reselling them back in the club. Who are they going to complain to, the cops?

If club owners actually paid guys for what they're worth - most of this side money would stop.
    Taking fakes off of underage kids and selling them back for 20-50 a pop was some easy side money. These freshman have terrible fakes and I would take the same kids IDs every week then sell them back

That would be a killing in this college town. i bounced in bars for 4 years. I was a college football player and still made little to nothing. I did manage on occasion but I personally didnt want the responsibility for a low rate job. It was more for extra money on the side and to keep myself entertained in offseasons. I have worked in bars and clubs that involve cleaning after, while others was simply leave at the end of the night. Some would hand you cash at the end of every night, others was an envelope of cash once a week, and one actually paid by a true payroll on checks.

Not something I would personally do again in my area. South florida is slightly more appealing but I dont plan on moving there anytime soon
    I have a friend who bounces down in the West Palm Beach area and says the same thing you do. I think he's getting 10 on the books right now. I had another friend who used to live near Tampa, and was acting like barback and bouncer, but only receiving bouncer pay. Something about Florida and their pay for bouncers is fvcked up. NJ and NYC take pretty good care of their bouncers, in comparison to others, but still not enough - if ya get what I'm saying.

Taking fakes off of underage kids and selling them back for 20-50 a pop was some easy side money. These freshman have terrible fakes and I would take the same kids IDs every week then sell them back
    I forgot about that. The ironic part was that I was underage too, so I was getting my Fake IDs off the same website they were, lol.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The money is ok in the UK. All companies pay £10/hr minimum. In rougher places its £15-£20.

The security are bottom of the rung, but typically, you don't work for the bar. You work for a separate security company, and the bar hires doormen. So if I say someone's leaving, or not coming in. It's final. The bar owner can take it up with my manager the next day. My job is the safety of the customers, staff and venue. Not to be the bar managers bitch boy. If he doesn't like it, I'll walk. If I walk, he has to close down for the night. It's that simple.

In the UK, you get royally ****ed without a licence. I don't know of anyone now a days to hire unlicensed door staff. In the towns we have a. Regular police presence too, on foot they often are just walking around to maintain peace outside the bars, and to help once someone is out of the bar. We also get regular licence checks by the local council. (This is the places I've worked, may vary in the cities or out in the sticks!)

To me, women are the second biggest issue/annoyance. Club PROMOTERS are the absolute worst.
    Now that there is interesting.
    In Vegas, the promoters are the least of our problems.
    That's because there are hundreds of them walking up and down the strip at any given time.
    PLUS....if they were to **** around and give me a hard time, I would see to it that any 'guest list' they are running would be null and void.

milky01623 is offline Productive Member
    Dude it doesn't matter what ppl say or do you have to do it just for the life experience and cross it off the things to do before 40 list
    I bounced back in the mid 90's before licences an all that nonesense
    In short i got slashed badly on my right forearm and had well over 100 stitches and 2/3 severed tendons BUT the irony is I would do it now even though I know that happend it's all about the things you experience and not the I wish I'd done that

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow the money just doesn't sounds worth it.

Ok, heard plenty of negatives. I know you guys got some funny stories so lets hear em. Also, is it pretty easy to pick up drunk broads at the end of the night?

milky01623 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S&S_ShovelHead
    Ok, heard plenty of negatives. I know you guys got some funny stories so lets hear em. Also, is it pretty easy to pick up drunk broads at the end of the night?
    Dude when the girls are drunk and your sober yeah it's easy but they're a right pain in the aas
    You'll see lol

It depends on the atmosphere. I've probably worked 12+ different places, rotating between lounges, dive bars, night clubs, sports bars, and strip clubs. I've had several opportunities to take drunk broads home, and there was a handful of times where I did. You're only going to be taking home filthy hewas who want some dick and will be at a different club/bar the next night getting a new dick. You're not just the lucky bouncer, lol. If she's banging you that night, you're probably the 5 guy she'es slept with that month...Also, at the end of the night and you're dead tired and it's 4am, sometimes the last thing I wanna do is bring back an annoying, sloppy broad to my place. The headache isn't worth the head, in some cases...

On the other hand, the last place I worked was a burlesque, upscale club. House vodka was $16 a mixed drink and our cheapest VIP bottle was $350. With that being said, all of the clientele that came in there were rich, snobby, stuck up bitches who viewed me as a low life security guard who cannot hold a conversation besides "yo what up". They wouldn't give any security the time of the day.

Rewind to July 4th week of this year.
    Club is packed as usual.
    Somebody over the radio made a fight call.
    A fight call sounds like this:
    "Fight Fight Fight"--then the location.

If your in the area--your supposed to stop what your doing and get over there.

Well.. the guard that made the call over the radio happened to be standing next to a reaaaaaaaaaaaly drunk girl who's name turned out to be "Heidi".

Guard: "Fight...Fight...Fight..."

Heidi: "Why do you keep calling my name you f**cking azzhole???

Guard: " Huh???"

S P L A S H!.... she threw her drink right in his face and started smacking and punching him.

OK....well...she's gonna need to explain that move to the police---who are ALWAYS right outside the door.

3 other guards wrap her up...kicking and fighting the whole way....
    She broke free for 2 SECONDS....and ran to one of those expensive tables that had bottle service.
    She grabbed a bottle of Grey Goose and HURLED it at the guards.
    She missed.
    But the dood at the table turned out to be a total douche.
    He smacked the shit out of her.
    Then his girlfriend jumped in and was pulling the original girls hair.
    So now...all three of them have to go.

Long story short....
    Outside...turns out the original girl had a knife and mace in her purse.
    She was arrested, as was the dood who smacked her.
    Fast forward a week or so.
    The dood had a f*cking warrant...he was a known drug dealer {oxy I bet!} in Florida.

Everybody involved was under 30, white, and SEEMINGLY normal.

Fun fun fun

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So I've wanted to get into bouncing since I quit drinking. Something to do on the weekends. A buddy called me up today and offered me a 4 hour gig on Saturday. It'll be me and him bouncing at a hall that a bunch of firefighters rent out for Halloween. Pay is $120 each.

Any tips from you veteran bouncers? Any funny stories?
    remember it is just a job and to never put yourself in risk if the person seems mentally damaged and angry (ie; junkie or alcy)
    trust me!

funny stories? man ill add some soon

This one comes to mind...
    Last edited by Gaspari1255; 04-11-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information