Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 54

Thread: Tuff Love

  1. #1
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392

    Tuff Love

    Does this form of dicipline work on young kids and teens? Explain....

  2. #2
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    If it tells you anything I am a result of tuff love.

  3. #3
    JohnnyVegas's Avatar
    JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    5,963
    I am no expert, but I have done some reading over the years and it seems to be something I would use as a last resort on a problem child. It doesn't really help a kid grow or learn. It just tries to discourage behavior by applying negative reinforcement.

    Interested to see what others say.

  4. #4
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Knowing I was getting an apple tree what we call a switch from my mom and a leather belt from my dad when a letter would come home from school kept very few letters from coming home. Having to work for things I wanted taught me value of hard work. Having to take responsibility for my mistakes and make it right with whom ever taught me respect.

  5. #5
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Coddling children gives a false sense of entitlement. That's a problem in my opinion.

  6. #6
    JohnnyVegas's Avatar
    JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    5,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Knowing I was getting an apple tree what we call a switch from my mom and a leather belt from my dad when a letter would come home from school kept very few letters from coming home. Having to work for things I wanted taught me value of hard work. Having to take responsibility for my mistakes and make it right with whom ever taught me respect.
    Totally agree with the second two things you said and I learned those lessons too...but I learned them without the threat of violence.

  7. #7
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Grateful
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North dakota
    Posts
    3,576
    Define tough love?

    Do you mean beating your kids and verbally assualting them? Then no

    Do you mean your kids have to work for what they have, giving them praise when it is deserved, or a spanking? Then yes. My parents praised me when i did some exceptional etc. They never showered me with praise if I didn't deserve it. They helped me out with things I needed like half and half for a new bow etc. However because I had to work for what I wanted I appreciated it more and understood the value of hard work.

  8. #8
    JohnnyVegas's Avatar
    JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    5,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Coddling children gives a false sense of entitlement. That's a problem in my opinion.
    Agreed. We must be able to find that level that gives kids freedom to discover things but doesn't follow the "every child is equally special" model that seems to be popular right now.

  9. #9
    Bigshotvictoria's Avatar
    Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,436
    When I did something wrong, I was punished. I was also made to understand why I was being punished. If I was good, made accomplishments and so on I was rewarded, and made to understand that I had earned my reward. I learned that every decision I made had consequences, either good or bad. I also learned that all of my possessions given by my parents (bike, video games, etc...) were a privilege not a right. I also placed value in them, as I had to earn the right to have them. This is how I define tough love, and in that respect I think it's the only way to parent.

    With all that said, I'm not yet a dad. Ask again in a couple of years and we'll see if I still feel the same way.

  10. #10
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigshotvictoria View Post
    When I did something wrong, I was punished. I was also made to understand why I was being punished. If I was good, made accomplishments and so on I was rewarded, and made to understand that I had earned my reward. I learned that every decision I made had consequences, either good or bad. I also learned that all of my possessions given by my parents (bike, video games, etc...) were a privilege not a right. I also placed value in them, as I had to earn the right to have them. This is how I define tough love, and in that respect I think it's the only way to parent.

    With all that said, I'm not yet a dad. Ask again in a couple of years and we'll see if I still feel the same way.
    Well said. As for being a dad. The trouble is when you and mom don't see eye to eye on discipline.

  11. #11
    lestat85's Avatar
    lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    441
    Tuff love isn't about violence. It's about strict discipline and making your kids earn rewards. IMO, rewarding a child, regardless of there behaviour teaches them that they should get everything handed to them. There's too many people already with that attitude. My kids have to earn their rewards and lose out on things when the behave badly. No exceptions

    As far as what for of discipline is used, that's up to the parent, within reason and is no one else's business.

  12. #12
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Agreed. We must be able to find that level that gives kids freedom to discover things but doesn't follow the "every child is equally special" model that seems to be popular right now.
    You mean a a sporting event where everyone gets a trophy so everyone is the same?
    Why work hard if I will get it any way. Bad path we are on.

  13. #13
    Bigshotvictoria's Avatar
    Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Well said. As for being a dad. The trouble is when you and mom don't see eye to eye on discipline.
    Thank you cape. Although I should say that despite having fantastic parents, and an amazing home life, I still made bad decisions. Alcohol and drug use, arguably pushing into addiction; leading into other things that I prefer to leave in the past. But perhaps it was the lessons they worked so hard at teaching me that made me able to stop and turn my life around. I couldn't be more proud of the person I've become, and I think my parents deserve the credit for that. Perhaps that's why I'm such an advocate for their method of parenting.

  14. #14
    JohnnyVegas's Avatar
    JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    5,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    You mean a a sporting event where everyone gets a trophy so everyone is the same?
    Why work hard if I will get it any way. Bad path we are on.
    Dude, you just don't get it. We are all special. We are all winners.

  15. #15
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigshotvictoria View Post
    Thank you cape. Although I should say that despite having fantastic parents, and an amazing home life, I still made bad decisions. Alcohol and drug use, arguably pushing into addiction; leading into other things that I prefer to leave in the past. But perhaps it was the lessons they worked so hard at teaching me that made me able to stop and turn my life around. I couldn't be more proud of the person I've become, and I think my parents deserve the credit for that. Perhaps that's why I'm such an advocate for their method of parenting.
    Sounds like a carbon copy of my life. I understand completely. Although some how was able to keep the drug use from being known by them. But I've been clean over 7 yrs. knowing the disappointment they would have had was a big thing. But that was my respect for them that they taught/instilled in me.

  16. #16
    Bigshotvictoria's Avatar
    Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Sounds like a carbon copy of my life. I understand completely. Although some how was able to keep the drug use from being known by them. But I've been clean over 7 yrs. knowing the disappointment they would have had was a big thing. But that was my respect for them that they taught/instilled in me.
    I grew up in a smaller town, with an attorney as a dad. Since he new all the Mounties, there wasn't a lot he didn't know. Congrats on kicking the habits, I'm at 8 years myself. Smoking was the last to go, that's just about 5 years.

    Sorry Lunk, I've started to hijack your thread. I was just trying to say that you can do everything right, and us kids will still screw up through no fault of yours!!!
    Last edited by Bigshotvictoria; 11-01-2012 at 12:05 PM.

  17. #17
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Stopped smoking 5 yrs ago. Tuff love is needed or we will be a country of worthless useless people with our hand s out.

  18. #18
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    By tuff love I don't mean abuse or assault. I mean for example in the case of a child turned drug addict. I have seen parents use tuff love tactics like turning their back on the child and basicly saying I love you BUT....if this is your path you walk it alone!

    Tuff love discipline really has nothing to do with spanking, whipping and such. God knows I still feel some of those smacks with a leather belt even if only in my head!

  19. #19
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Grateful
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North dakota
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    By tuff love I don't mean abuse or assault. I mean for example in the case of a child turned drug addict. I have seen parents use tuff love tactics like turning their back on the child and basicly saying I love you BUT....if this is your path you walk it alone!

    Tuff love discipline really has nothing to do with spanking, whipping and such. God knows I still feel some of those smacks with a leather belt even if only in my head!
    I dont consider a spanking assualt( not saying you do). The media has completly over blown spankings imo. My dad only used a belt on me once and thats cause I hit my brother in the face with a stick lol.

  20. #20
    lestat85's Avatar
    lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1
    By tuff love I don't mean abuse or assault. I mean for example in the case of a child turned drug addict. I have seen parents use tuff love tactics like turning their back on the child and basicly saying I love you BUT....if this is your path you walk it alone!

    Tuff love discipline really has nothing to do with spanking, whipping and such. God knows I still feel some of those smacks with a leather belt even if only in my head!
    In a situation like this, I think it's really the only thing you can do, if they refuse to take the help their offered.

    This is basically the situation my parents faced with my older sister. It been about 10 years since I've seen or heard from her. As much I would have loved to have her as a part of my life and to meet my kids, she refused to accept help and, as long as my parents kept bailing her out of trouble, she had no reason to change.

  21. #21
    baseline_9's Avatar
    baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK Get in the diet forum!
    Posts
    7,901
    Good thread idea

    I'm not a parent so have no experience... I only have an opinion based on what I believe...

    I think that beating or punishing a child will only make them grow up to do the same as they would see it as acceptable behaviour.... I think that protecting a child from the 'real world' is only going to have negative effects in the end....

    If children are over 'mothered' or protected too much against real world threats it simply weakens them and does not allow them to develop propperly....

    When I have a child I would like to think that I was firm but fair.... If you do as your told then you get rewarded... Not every time but in generall... If your bad then you get punished.... Punishment being withdrawal of rewards....

    I would quite happily see my child make mistakes and learn on there own how to overcome them.... I'd happily see my child fall of his bike if it taught them how to ride a bike alone.... I think that's a good example of tough love....

  22. #22
    MR-FQ320's Avatar
    MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gods own country
    Posts
    3,007
    Good thread, especially as I have a 10 month old daughter. Having your own children really does change your perspective view point.

  23. #23
    lestat85's Avatar
    lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320
    Good thread, especially as I have a 10 month old daughter. Having your own children really does change your perspective view point.
    It changes everything you ever thought before in an instant lol. I have 3 boys, my oldest is turning 6 in a month and the youngest is 1. The way I think now is completely different than before I had kids.

  24. #24
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I dont consider a spanking assualt( not saying you do). The media has completly over blown spankings imo. My dad only used a belt on me once and thats cause I hit my brother in the face with a stick lol.
    No I don't either Hunter. Spanking is ok in my book to a degree. Again I think ppl have a different definition of tuff love then what my understanding of it is. My definition is more the you have to live with your actions and we are not going to help you or enable you so you are on your own type of discipline

  25. #25
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I dont consider a spanking assualt( not saying you do). The media has completly over blown spankings imo. My dad only used a belt on me once and thats cause I hit my brother in the face with a stick lol.

    Agreed. When ypou have taken everything away sometimes the only thing left is a spanking. Like I said earlier no more than 3 letters were ever sent home. The threat of a spanking is worse than the spanking most times.

    I read in a great book more than one time "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Was a line I remember to this day.

    I'm not saying beat the hell out of your kid.

  26. #26
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Agreed. When ypou have taken everything away sometimes the only thing left is a spanking. Like I said earlier no more than 3 letters were ever sent home. The threat of a spanking is worse than the spanking most times.

    I read in a great book more than one time "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Was a line I remember to this day.

    I'm not saying beat the hell out of your kid.
    I have read that and it has alot of great quotes ;0)

  27. #27
    lestat85's Avatar
    lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    441
    Sometimes a spank is needed. More often than not, the threat of a spank works wonders, as long as they know you'll follow through.

    As far as making them deal with the consequences of their decisions goes, if you don't make them do it, they never will. There are far too many people that expect everything handed to them as it is. Everything has a consequence and children need to be taught that or they will never learn it.

  28. #28
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat85 View Post
    Sometimes a spank is needed. More often than not, the threat of a spank works wonders, as long as they know you'll follow through.

    As far as making them deal with the consequences of their decisions goes, if you don't make them do it, they never will. There are far too many people that expect everything handed to them as it is. Everything has a consequence and children need to be taught that or they will never learn it.
    How far would you go to teach that lesson? Would you kick a teenager out of the house that repeatedly refused to abide by your rules???

  29. #29
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    ^^yes

  30. #30
    lestat85's Avatar
    lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1

    How far would you go to teach that lesson? Would you kick a teenager out of the house that repeatedly refused to abide by your rules???
    I don't know about kicking a teenager out, but other things like refusing to pay bail money as an example are not unreasonable. I think kicking them out before they are an adult could be a little extreme. If they're an adult living at home, then it's my rules or find their own place. But, my oldest is only 5, I hope I don't have to face that situation.

    My dad told me once that if I ever got arrested he wouldn't bail me out. I knew he was serious and I never did anything to get arrested.

  31. #31
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Knowing I was getting an apple tree what we call a switch from my mom and a leather belt from my dad when a letter would come home from school kept very few letters from coming home. Having to work for things I wanted taught me value of hard work. Having to take responsibility for my mistakes and make it right with whom ever taught me respect.
    this!!!!!!!!!

  32. #32
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,624
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Good thread idea

    I'm not a parent so have no experience... I only have an opinion based on what I believe...

    I think that beating or punishing a child will only make them grow up to do the same as they would see it as acceptable behaviour.... I think that protecting a child from the 'real world' is only going to have negative effects in the end....

    If children are over 'mothered' or protected too much against real world threats it simply weakens them and does not allow them to develop propperly....

    When I have a child I would like to think that I was firm but fair.... If you do as your told then you get rewarded... Not every time but in generall... If your bad then you get punished.... Punishment being withdrawal of rewards....

    I would quite happily see my child make mistakes and learn on there own how to overcome them.... I'd happily see my child fall of his bike if it taught them how to ride a bike alone.... I think that's a good example of tough love....

    and this!

  33. #33
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,223
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat85 View Post
    I don't know about kicking a teenager out, but other things like refusing to pay bail money as an example are not unreasonable. I think kicking them out before they are an adult could be a little extreme. If they're an adult living at home, then it's my rules or find their own place. But, my oldest is only 5, I hope I don't have to face that situation.

    My dad told me once that if I ever got arrested he wouldn't bail me out. I knew he was serious and I never did anything to get arrested.
    Fortunately that is what angry wives are for. And I do me angry

  34. #34
    songdog's Avatar
    songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13,618
    There is a difference between a beating and a spanking.I believe some not all kids need a swat on the butt from time to time.I have seen to many SPOILED brats who control their home.Simply beacuse if they dont get wat they want they make the home hell.I have left more than 1 home beacuse of this.All I can say is my father said it once.Now if he spoke twice I was set down for a while.A third time was a swat on the ass.I learned quick.

  35. #35
    MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    13,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigshotvictoria View Post
    When I did something wrong, I was punished. I was also made to understand why I was being punished. If I was good, made accomplishments and so on I was rewarded, and made to understand that I had earned my reward. I learned that every decision I made had consequences, either good or bad. I also learned that all of my possessions given by my parents (bike, video games, etc...) were a privilege not a right. I also placed value in them, as I had to earn the right to have them. This is how I define tough love, and in that respect I think it's the only way to parent.

    With all that said, I'm not yet a dad. Ask again in a couple of years and we'll see if I still feel the same way.
    I agree and practice this type of parenting.

    I have never, and would never, raise my hand to my daughter. (i do not have sons but the same would apply)

    Now, having said that, my dad used to beat me tied to a chair with a bag of oranges. My brother got beat, my mother got beat. My father was an alcoholic and a mean sob. He's dead now, he's where he belongs. He died in prison serving out a murder sentence. Thats tough love to me, and i never liked it.

    All three of us, including my mom who has remarried a wonderful man, are doing well and have gf's, wives, and family. Thankfully none of use turned out like our father.

  36. #36
    baseline_9's Avatar
    baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK Get in the diet forum!
    Posts
    7,901
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    I agree and practice this type of parenting.

    I have never, and would never, raise my hand to my daughter. (i do not have sons but the same would apply)

    Now, having said that, my dad used to beat me tied to a chair with a bag of oranges. My brother got beat, my mother got beat. My father was an alcoholic and a mean sob. He's dead now, he's where he belongs. He died in prison serving out a murder sentence. Thats tough love to me, and i never liked it.

    All three of us, including my mom who has remarried a wonderful man, are doing well and have gf's, wives, and family. Thankfully none of use turned out like our father.
    Tough love....

    Tough yes... Was there love tho? I don't think u will take this the wrong way (after reading your post) but he sounds like he wasnt a nice guy...

    I think u need to nip bad behaviour at the bud and a sharp firm smack would probably work if you make sure it's firm enough that the child remembers it and then learns from it.... If u just do it over and over again it is worthless...

  37. #37
    ironbeck's Avatar
    ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,514
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Stopped smoking 5 yrs ago. Tuff love is needed or we will be a country of worthless useless people with our hand s out.
    Too late

  38. #38
    MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    13,200
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Tough love....

    Tough yes... Was there love tho? I don't think u will take this the wrong way (after reading your post) but he sounds like he wasnt a nice guy...

    I think u need to nip bad behaviour at the bud and a sharp firm smack would probably work if you make sure it's firm enough that the child remembers it and then learns from it.... If u just do it over and over again it is worthless...
    No offense taken Base.

    And i totally get what youre saying and understand. But i simply disagree. And im not suggesting one way is better than the other, just a difference of opinion based on past experiences and learned behavior patterns. I studied these type of behavior patterns in university and can tell you that the outcomes are not pretty, for the most part. However, not all children who have been "spanked" turn out to be social misfits and demonstrate aggressive, assaultive, behavior. Some are just fine and lead "normal" productive lives. But the percentages of these types lean towards dysfunctional families who were also aggressive and violent towards their children.

  39. #39
    kalspic's Avatar
    kalspic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    1,247
    when i misbehaved i got spanked

    when i did good i got rewarded

    as i grew up it went from spanking to not paying bill/gas and getting my car taken away

    when i did good they helped pay for the essentials

    what made me the man i so proudly am today is all the support and dicipline they gave me.

  40. #40
    frank13's Avatar
    frank13 is offline "AR's Official Turkey Bacon Expert"
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    How far would you go to teach that lesson? Would you kick a teenager out of the house that repeatedly refused to abide by your rules???
    yes don't abuse your kids its not a good idea they will grow to resent you i used to get hit as a kid and as an teen and it did nothing accepted cause more problems anyone that advocates hitting there kids wasn't hit as i was because they wouldn't want there kids going through that as far as kicking your kid out hell no all that will happen is they will go out and get in trouble and possibly do things they cant take back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •