Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomini is offline Banned

Running may be harmful to your heart!

I've been telling people this for years and only now are the mainstream catching on to the fact that maybe excessive marathon jogging actually does the exact opposite for the heart than once thought... For a long time i've been telling people that excessive aerobics will NOT strengthen your heart any more than weight training or even moderate exercise such as walking. Check this out,

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...ful-your-heart

Running, long considered a healthy hobby, may actually be dangerous for some. At least that’s the prevailing opinion of a number of the country’s top cardiologists and a new study due out next month from British journal Heart.

According to the editorial, endurance training and marathon running can literally push your heart to its limit, causing a variety of acute problems, such as arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat, and lasting damage, including calcification and scarring.

Some of these problems are impossible to predict, even if you’re an athlete who has been extensively pre-screened with cardiac tests prior to training. For older athletes, the toll that running takes may even outweigh the benefits gained from exercise, the study claims.

For many, the new information doesn’t add up. Why, for instance, would athletes who have been training for many years suddenly experience heart trouble associated with running?

The answer is simple. Intense physical exercise for long periods has the potential to take a toll on the body, in some cases aging it more quickly.

According to James H. O’Keefe, M.D. of the Mid-America Heart Institute of Kansas City, who co-authored an extensive 2012 study that examined the cardiac risks faced by athletes: “Physical exercise, though not a drug, possesses many traits of a powerful pharmacologic agent. A safe upper dose limit potentially exists, beyond which the adverse effects of physical exercise, such as musculoskeletal trauma and cardiovascular stress, may outweigh its benefits.”

In short, exercise is great in small doses, but too much physical exertion too quickly or for too long a period can actually put a person’s heart at risk, especially if he or she is over age 35.

7 Warning Signs of A Heart Attack

Inside the Runner’s Heart

Watch any marathon runner and it’s obvious that his or her body is under a great deal of stress. Temperature increases ten-fold, causing sweating, fluid loss, potential dehydration, muscle weakness, and even disorientation. But now researchers also have an idea about how marathon racing and long-term endurance training affects the heart muscle, too.

In the aforementioned 2012 Mayo Clinic study, for instance, long-term endurance training was associated with “coronary artery calcification, diastolic dysfunction, and large-artery wall stiffening.”

In that study, researchers associated endurance training with temporary spikes in sustained inflammation that was, in some cases, injurious to the heart muscle. That impairment may lead to permanent scarring or ventricle damage, which was seen in 12 percent of cases, or more acute issues like arrhythmia or sudden death, which is what killed runner Micah True in 2012 while running a marathon in Mexico.

According to the Cleveland Clinic, sudden cardiac death occurs in about one of every 15,000 joggers and one in every 50,000 runners; a 2008 study in European Heart Journal equated the greatest risk of sudden cardiac arrest in marathon runners with those who had the least amount of training.

A 2010 study presented at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress echoed those same findings. In that study, runners who were less fit (as assessed by V02 max testing) had signs of “inflammation, swelling, and decreased perfusion accessed by MRI over three months.” Those runners who were better trained over a longer period were less likely to experience the same level of heart damage.

The Worst Fitness Trends of All TIme

An Ounce of Prevention

According to Carl J. Levine, M.D., Medical Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Prevention at the Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans, anyone interested in marathon running should undergo cardiac pre-screening tests to eliminate underlying heart conditions. As many as ten different pre-existing cardiac conditions can be detected.

Levine recommends that physicians also take detailed histories of their patients, especially those who are in training, to look for evidence of overexertion, such as tendonitis, stress fractures, and other overuse issues.

O’Keefe, a cardiologist and co-author of the Mayo Clinic study as well as a marathon runner himself, said it best: “Extreme exercise is not conducive to great cardiovascular health. Beyond 30 to 60 minutes a day, you reach a point of diminished returns.”

Oh, and just a side-note: Doctor Kenneth Cooper wrote the book "The New Aerobics" way back when, and is credited with coining the very term "aerobics." Twenty five years after the debut of his book, Dr. Cooper admitted that many of his conclusions were incorrect. He was quoted as saying: "Further research has shown that there is no correlation between aerobic performance and health, protection against heart disease, and longevity." Newsweek Magazine ran a piece on Exercise Guild president Ken Hutchins who refers to an article that appeared in Mens Journal Magazine where Dr. Cooper goes on to say that aerobics are far more carcinogenic than first realized and are to blame for many injuries.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Thank you for confirming my fear of running.
    No cardio for cape. Again.

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Amen. Now I have a good excuse why I don't run! Thanks Atomini

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Anaerobic exercise is where its at

bp2000 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Thank you for confirming my fear of running.
    No cardio for cape. Again.
    hahaha Yeah running is bad but running test/tren blast and lifting heavy azz weights is better for the old pump

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    Oh, and just a side-note: Doctor Kenneth Cooper wrote the book "The New Aerobics" way back when, and is credited with coining the very term "aerobics." Twenty five years after the debut of his book, Dr. Cooper admitted that many of his conclusions were incorrect. He was quoted as saying: "Further research has shown that there is no correlation between aerobic performance and health, protection against heart disease, and longevity." Newsweek Magazine ran a piece on Exercise Guild president Ken Hutchins who refers to an article that appeared in Mens Journal Magazine where Dr. Cooper goes on to say that aerobics are far more carcinogenic than first realized and are to blame for many injuries.
    I'm going to agree that a marathon puts a HUGE strain on the body. I don't know all the facts, and it has been almost 30 years since my marathon days. But for me, the difference in weight between the start of the race and the end of the race, I can lose 8 pounds in around three hours. That is extreme! Not only that, but the micro minerals that are lost can have a significant impact on your cognative ability while running. To a certain extent, some runners fail to heed the warning signs and continue running past the danger point because of this loss of cognition. I know for a fact that after almost every marathon i've run, my ability to think was low. All i really wanted to do was collapse, breathe, and consume fluids. I've seen guys piss themselves, and once I saw a guy shit himself while running. Always at the end. There usually are outhouses at certain points. Why would they fail to realize they havve got to take a shit? it is this impairment brought on by depletion and cognative decline. I know I've ran til my blisters on my feet went bloody. After, I learned to pretape my friction points. That only helps somewhat.

My point is this. A marathon really is NOT good for you! But all the training and prepwork ahead of time is Good for you. I also imagine that a marathon takes a heavy toll on your heart. I always just figured that your heart recouped about the same as the rest of your body.

Good points from personal experience there, TR.

I've never ran a marathon but I was at one point an avid runner in my early army days for obvious reasons. I absolutely HATED it, probably in large part because I was horrible at it and my genetics were just not geared for that type of activity (everyone in my family line is of the heavier Mesomorphic / Endomorphic body type - totally unfit for endurance based activities). Either way, I don't think this is an excuse to do absolutely zero cardio (but not doing it at all isn't a negative thing either so long as you make the appropriate adjustments to your other training methods). I don't do any aerobics/cardio what so ever, and haven't done it in about 5 years or so. Never had a problem dropping fat without it, and never had any issues with cardiovascular ability... I one time jumped right into a 13 kilometer full ruck march (full ruck, weapon, everything) WITHOUT prior work-up training or any cardio work up training for it and completed it no problem within the time limit (I was even on Tren at the time too, a big cardio killer!). The only training I had done prior was my usual resistance training in the gym.

I believe that as long as sets are nice and intense, heart rate kept up via supersetting and such in the gym, you can easily get the benefits to your heart through resistance training. I believe this is the better way of doing it as well, because the function of the cardiovascular system is to support the muscular system, not the other way around. If the human body is logical, then increases in muscular strength from a proper strength training program should correlate to improvements in cardiovascular function. This is within reason, of course... as a 290 lb. bodybuilder at sub 10% bodyfat would likely have diminished cardio ability due to the massive amount of weight being hauled around. But that is the exception and not the rule.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    This is great news. Im with Cape on this, i hate running - way too hard on my body.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox
    This is great news. Im with Cape on this, i hate running - way too hard on my body.
    I chase the HAW around the bedroom. That's all the running I care to do!

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    But running a marathon was never recommended as a healthy form of exercise for a healthy heart. Most doctors would just say 20-30min of exercise 3-4 times a wk. Marathon has always been meant for fanatics only.

A friend of mine once said, "people who jog are running away from their problems" lol

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    After I left the Corps I adopted the thought that there are only 2 reasons to run. After something and away from something, anything else is sensless!

Haha i like that too ^^

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    bla bla bla started reading and stopped. Common sense. If you are pushing your heart hard.. you're not helping it. If you are bringing it up a little with some cardio at moderate speed. Good. If you are a fat fuk and go balls out on cardio out of the blue. Good luck and hope you live through it. But if you are athletic and start doing cardio at a moderate speed. This is good for your body. Common sense. Just my 2 c.

BTC
    BTC is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bp2000 View Post

hahaha Yeah running is bad but running test/tren blast and lifting heavy azz weights is better for the old pump
    I sense your sarcasm....

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    theres a big diff between doing 30-60mins moderate cardio a few days per week and running a marathon. i would not deceive myself into thinking because a study says marathon running can be bad for u that i should not do cardio anymore.

sustained elevated heart rate is definitely good for us to a point IMO. after all, the heart is a muscle.

odi et amo is offline Female Member
    I must have known this ages ago, I don't really do any sort of exercise(maybe 5 push-ups in three days) but run a little occasionally. I walk often so that should be good enough.

Prolonged physical exercise causes excess exertion which is said to age a person and make life difficult when older. joint problems, thinning of the cartilage etcetera etc.

Anyway muscular people don't run well-it's the lighter long limbs people that perform better. long-twitch muscles. sprint runners are those with fast-twitch muscles. But very often the smart thing to do is run not stay and fight. I think.

Not sure why I'm rambling on but remember we all die anyway it is inevitable.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great read both the original post and TR's comments on the psych factors in marathoning.

Also in regard to the heartrate in the gym deal, I used to be a competitive cyclist with a resting heartbeat of 36. I had the luck to attend seminars and training under Eddie Borysewicz back when he first arrived on the US scene. He was the one who first introduced us ( US cyclists) to the concept of circuit training in the gym for intense cardio.

I agree 100% and always have that any long distance running is terrible for the body, its really the worst collection of trauma that one could put the body through in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    I used to be a competitive cyclist with a resting heartbeat of 36.
    u a TDF fan FFM??

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I need a new bike

I've never ran a marathon but I was at one point an avid runner in my early army days for obvious reasons. I absolutely HATED it, probably in large part because I was horrible at it and my genetics were just not geared for that type of activity (everyone in my family line is of the heavier Mesomorphic / Endomorphic body type - totally unfit for endurance based activities). Either way, I don't think this is an excuse to do absolutely zero cardio (but not doing it at all isn't a negative thing either so long as you make the appropriate adjustments to your other training methods). I don't do any aerobics/cardio what so ever, and haven't done it in about 5 years or so. Never had a problem dropping fat without it, and never had any issues with cardiovascular ability... I one time jumped right into a 13 kilometer full ruck march (full ruck, weapon, everything) WITHOUT prior work-up training or any cardio work up training for it and completed it no problem within the time limit (I was even on Tren at the time too, a big cardio killer!). The only training I had done prior was my usual resistance training in the gym.

I believe that as long as sets are nice and intense, heart rate kept up via supersetting and such in the gym, you can easily get the benefits to your heart through resistance training. I believe this is the better way of doing it as well, because the function of the cardiovascular system is to support the muscular system, not the other way around. If the human body is logical, then increases in muscular strength from a proper strength training program should correlate to improvements in cardiovascular function. This is within reason, of course... as a 290 lb. bodybuilder at sub 10% bodyfat would likely have diminished cardio ability due to the massive amount of weight being hauled around. But that is the exception and not the rule.
    however.....

marathons are running to an EXTREME! The article doesn't say running/jogging a reasonable amount is harmful, only that taking running to an extreme is. And this makes sense to me.

Everything in moderation.....

Now the rest of you chuckleheads looking for an excuse to NOT do cardio.....

....GET BACK TO WORK AND DO YOUR CARDIO!!!

(and eat your damn veggies too!)

Quote Originally Posted by times roman View Post
    however.....

Marathons are running to an extreme! The article doesn't say running/jogging a reasonable amount is harmful, only that taking running to an extreme is. And this makes sense to me.

Everything in moderation.....

now the rest of you chuckleheads looking for an excuse to not do cardio.....

....get back to work and do your cardio!!!

(and eat your damn veggies too!)
    ^^^^^^^^ x2!! Lol

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by odi et amo View Post
    I must have known this ages ago, I don't really do any sort of exercise(maybe 5 push-ups in three days) but run a little occasionally. I walk often so that should be good enough.

Prolonged physical exercise causes excess exertion which is said to age a person and make life difficult when older. joint problems, thinning of the cartilage etcetera etc.

Anyway muscular people don't run well-it's the lighter long limbs people that perform better. long-twitch muscles. sprint runners are those with fast-twitch muscles. But very often the smart thing to do is run not stay and fight. I think.

lol. And you just joined a steriod forum....Note taken.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

I agree with you 100%. I think diet will always be much more effective for dropping weight than any cardio. I hate ruck marches to lol. Especially when they try and make us "ruck run". That the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Way to much impact on the knees.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nice article.

For a long, long time i've watched Marathons, and while I have utmost respect for such athleticism, i've often thought "that cannot be good for a person".

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by odi et amo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    I agree with you 100%. I think diet will always be much more effective for dropping weight than any cardio. I hate ruck marches to lol. Especially when they try and make us "ruck run". That the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Way to much impact on the knees.
    Quick hijack for a "funny" story

we went on a forced "ruck" march as you call it. 25 miles. but instead of getting into a cattle truck to take us to where we were going, they marched us there. It was five (5) friggin miles away!! And it was muddy and slight rain to boot. After we got there, there was someone there from AFN (or is the newspaper called stars and stripes? can't remember...) taking pictures. Since there was a company of females in this march, the big concern was that no guys would drop out, only the women. So to help stack the deck in favor of the women, they marched us (men) 5 miles before our 25 mile road march. The women showed up on the cattle trucks. Many of the women did drop out, a good percentage of them. AND many men dropped out too. This was back in 1979 when you didn't get those pvssy cards you couuld give to the DI when things got too rough and they couldn't scream at you when you gave them the card. Anyways, the article in the paper noted that it was a rough march, as jjust as many men as women dropped out, and that the women were tough and credit to the women DI's for the fabulous training the female soldiers recieved, enabling them to have almost the same number of drop outs as the men. What the article didn't say was that there were 800 men, and maybe 120 women, and all the men had to march the five miles to get to the starting point, where the women rode the cattle truck.

Back in my day, a "ruck" march was full field gear (field pants/shirt over your regular fatigues) all your suppplies (c rations, water, etc.), M16, steel pot, AND rubber boots over your jump boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

Quick hijack for a "funny" story

we went on a forced "ruck" march as you call it. 25 miles. but instead of getting into a cattle truck to take us to where we were going, they marched us there. It was five (5) friggin miles away!! And it was muddy and slight rain to boot. After we got there, there was someone there from AFN (or is the newspaper called stars and stripes? can't remember...) taking pictures. Since there was a company of females in this march, the big concern was that no guys would drop out, only the women. So to help stack the deck in favor of the women, they marched us (men) 5 miles before our 25 mile road march. The women showed up on the cattle trucks. Many of the women did drop out, a good percentage of them. AND many men dropped out too. This was back in 1979 when you didn't get those pvssy cards you couuld give to the DI when things got too rough and they couldn't scream at you when you gave them the card. Anyways, the article in the paper noted that it was a rough march, as jjust as many men as women dropped out, and that the women were tough and credit to the women DI's for the fabulous training the female soldiers recieved, enabling them to have almost the same number of drop outs as the men. What the article didn't say was that there were 800 men, and maybe 120 women, and all the men had to march the five miles to get to the starting point, where the women rode the cattle truck.

Back in my day, a "ruck" march was full field gear (field pants/shirt over your regular fatigues) all your suppplies (c rations, water, etc.), M16, steel pot, AND rubber boots over your jump boots.
    There were no cards to give drill sergeants in my basic. That's a myth, they don't do it.

There were no cards to give drill sergeants in my basic. That's a myth, they don't do it.
    Yeah that's an absolute myth. WHen I worked with a lot of Americans, I asked them about this and it's absolutely not true. HOWEVER, I did hear that the origin of this myth has a bit of truth to it where back at a brief point for a few months during the Clinton administration, these 'stress cards' or whatever you call them were implemented and tested. They quickly scrapped the idea after a few months of trying this out for whatever reasons.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Yeah, but you also went to Ft. Jackson didn't you?

Yeah that's an absolute myth. WHen I worked with a lot of Americans, I asked them about this and it's absolutely not true. HOWEVER, I did hear that the origin of this myth has a bit of truth to it where back at a brief point for a few months during the Clinton administration, these 'stress cards' or whatever you call them were implemented and tested. They quickly scrapped the idea after a few months of trying this out for whatever reasons.
    True. I don't know this for a fact. Just heard my kid and his friends talking about it and thought.... "what a load of crap"

well, it's good they don't do that anymore. I don't think that when we go to the desert, that if things get rough, if one of our soldiers were to give a stress card to the Iraqi Republican Guard, that they will cut us some slack and let us take a time out if things get too intense.......?

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post

Yeah, but you also went to Ft. Jackson didn't you?
    Yup. Jackson is supposed to be the easiest I guess.

Eddie_m63 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZthedestroyer
    Amen. Now I have a good excuse why I don't run! Thanks Atomini
    Me too,

Yup. Jackson is supposed to be the easiest I guess.
    They don't call it "Relaxin' at Ft. Jackson" for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post

They don't call it "Relaxin' at Ft. Jackson" for nothing.
    It was easy. Not gonna lie. But it still tested me. I'm just glad i'm out of that hell hole.

It was easy. Not gonna lie. But it still tested me. I'm just glad i'm out of that hell hole.
    You thought it was easy?

odi et amo is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warmouth View Post
    lol. And you just joined a steriod forum....Note taken.

Actually I joined because of a particular thread I needed to reply to. Does it really matter that I'm a don't do roids nor heavy exercise? I'm too weak for that stuff anyway.

Pale1 is offline Junior Member
    LOL! I love this guy!

As for myself, my motto is that I ain't running unless there's a largs animal chasing me!

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Personally I like getting runners "high" I think it's k to run 1-3 miles anything more may cause more stress on the joints in a deteriorate manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information