Thread: Family law

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member

Family law

Hey all,

I have a question that maybe somebody can shed some light on. Perhaps if anyone is familiar with family law in Canada, that would be most helpful.

Can a grandparent of a child be granted access to a child by court if there is no prior agreement and access to the child, and the parents of the child have restricted access for a good reason?

Hopefully someone can give some decent input. Thanks in advance

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    I can't say for sure in Canada that I know in the US yes grand parents can be granted access or sometimes they call it grandparents rights or some other associated name but yes especially if the parents have restricted access do too there past history.

I think in most cases it's good let the children have access to the grandparents especially when there is no history of problems. I personally have been involved in just the opposite where I've had to fight to keep the grandparents away because I felt they had absolutely nothing positive to contribute in any way shape or form and in the end the courts agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    I can't say for sure in Canada that I know in the US yes grand parents can be granted access or sometimes they call it grandparents rights or some other associated name but yes especially if the parents have restricted access do too there past history.

I think in most cases it's good let the children have access to the grandparents especially when there is no history of problems. I personally have been involved in just the opposite where I've had to fight to keep the grandparents away because I felt they had absolutely nothing positive to contribute in any way shape or form and in the end the courts agreed.
    Well that is exactly the case here. My wife and I agree on this matter and to say the least, these are bad people. The fact that they feel the entitlement is beyond me. There is no safe feasible way for them to visit my children and they can not and have not been a positive force in their lives. They smoke like a chimney and smoke indoors. They are not welcome at my house due to altercations and I refuse to allow them in a car with them as they smoke in their car and same with their house. My children are asthmatic from being exposed to their smoke early in life and I refuse to see my children suffer because of them.

I wish I could say more, but I'd go to far. I don't hate many people, but my inlaws- are hated

Brick is offline Member
    I don't know the laws but wish you the best of luck on your endeavor. The courts should side with you if you/lawyer can prove that the grandparents are a bad influence and that they are not in their lives already.

You may be able to reach a common ground though. Maybe once a month meet the grandparents for breakfast at a non smoking facility.

If you went the breakfast route though I would record all the conversations so that you can use them against them. Because in the end it doesn't matter what the truth is what matters is what you can prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka
    I don't know the laws but wish you the best of luck on your endeavor. The courts should side with you if you/lawyer can prove that the grandparents are a bad influence and that they are not in their lives already.

You may be able to reach a common ground though. Maybe once a month meet the grandparents for breakfast at a non smoking facility.

If you went the breakfast route though I would record all the conversations so that you can use them against them. Because in the end it doesn't matter what the truth is what matters is what you can prove.
    Yea right. I couldn't stand to be near them. I love to eat, especially breakfast- but I wouldn't have an appetite if I had to sit across from them. I'm hoping it will blow over and I won't have to hire a lawyer... And if I go to court and win, I'll ask for full restraining order for making me go thru all of it! The nerve of some people I tell u

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by >Good Luck<

Yea right. I couldn't stand to be near them. I love to eat, especially breakfast- but I wouldn't have an appetite if I had to sit across from them. I'm hoping it will blow over and I won't have to hire a lawyer... And if I go to court and win, I'll ask for full restraining order for making me go thru all of it! The nerve of some people I tell u
    Lol well said. It wouldn't hurt to record any conversations on the phone or irrational things they say or do. Documentation helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka

Lol well said. It wouldn't hurt to record any conversations on the phone or irrational things they say or do. Documentation helps!
    Thanks brotha!

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka View Post
    Agreed. Documentation always helps. Make sure recording is legal there with only the knowledge of one participant (you).

Thread Information