Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

Flying threw the Air Force

Does anyone know if its possible to fly threw the military like for civilian reasons? Example, I want to go home after my deployment is there any way to do this threw the military? I've heard rumors that you can threw the Air Force. Anybody have experience with this?

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Wouldnt they fly you home after deployment normally? 100 years ago when I was enlisted you could catch those type of flights occasionaly but you had to be very flexible. It never really worked out

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    Yes, back in the day they had 'hops' You could take them if there was room on the plane. No food. I remember sitting on nets for short time with a lot of cargo on hop. That only happened once. That was a long time ago, not sure if they still have them.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    See if you can thumb a ride on Air Force One..

Quote Originally Posted by likelifting View Post
    Yes, back in the day they had 'hops' You could take them if there was room on the plane. No food. I remember sitting on nets for short time with a lot of cargo on hop. That only happened once. That was a long time ago, not sure if they still have them.
    Thanks, I think you can do something similar now, I just don't know how to go about it and Mickey I tried sadly I can't jump high enough for them to see i'm trying to hitch hike lol there's an air force base in San Antonio though maybe I should just try calling someone there

ac guy is offline Associate Member
    Ask your squad or platoon sergeant. I can't remember who you reserve a seat with, but the cost is dirt cheap. Down side is that if the flight is booked, and someone of higher rank wants a seat, they may remove you to a later flight. That and no hot stewardess to serve you drinks lol.

Lol where are you flying? I've never had a hot stewardess!!

Funny you should ask. The hottest I ever met were on our flight back from Haiti in the mid 90's .Maybe it was the fact that all we had to look at for 6 months was the local women lowered our standards . We got to take a 747 back to Bragg instead of the C141 we took down there ( thank God). It was a weird feeling carrying an M203 on a commercial flight.

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    You can still take HOPS through the AF. The only bad thing is that you can be waiting a while because its all space-a. Meaning you need a lot of leave just in case you can't get a return flight on time.

Basically call the airhead at the base you want to leave from to get their flight plans for the month and go from there. You can get bumped for any reason BTW.

I had pretty good luck with hops.

Were you a loggie? lol

Not sure what that is.

The guys who ran the flight plans.

Ah, no. I'm following now. lol

I did mostly US hops, so maybe thats why I didn't run into probs.

Quote Originally Posted by ac guy View Post
    Funny you should ask. The hottest I ever met were on our flight back from Haiti in the mid 90's .Maybe it was the fact that all we had to look at for 6 months was the local women lowered our standards . We got to take a 747 back to Bragg instead of the C141 we took down there ( thank God). It was a weird feeling carrying an M203 on a commercial flight.
    Lol yeah that was probably strange

Quote Originally Posted by Riptorn View Post
    You can still take HOPS through the AF. The only bad thing is that you can be waiting a while because its all space-a. Meaning you need a lot of leave just in case you can't get a return flight on time.

Basically call the airhead at the base you want to leave from to get their flight plans for the month and go from there. You can get bumped for any reason BTW.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I kinda figured, sucks because i'm sure someone with more rank than I have could just bump me for what ever reason.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Does anyone know if its possible to fly threw the military like for civilian reasons? Example, I want to go home after my deployment is there any way to do this threw the military? I've heard rumors that you can threw the Air Force. Anybody have experience with this?
    Yes, its called space A flights, contact your local wing command

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post

Yes, its called space A flights, contact your local wing command
    Figured you would give me an answer here to haha. Your probably the most knowledgeable on this stuff

sgt2jay is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac guy View Post
    My flight back from Haiti was a fun one as well. I flew Lufstnsa (spellig?) back. I took the Eisenhower there not as much fun got lost and that ship every day ttrying to get to the chow hall? What unit where you with when you went to Haiti? I was 10th Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by sgt2jay View Post
    My flight back from Haiti was a fun one as well. I flew Lufstnsa (spellig?) back. I took the Eisenhower there not as much fun got lost and that ship every day ttrying to get to the chow hall? What unit where you with when you went to Haiti? I was 10th Mountain
    18th Airborne Corp. We had our compound at the end of the runway in Port au Prince. Had to love the tarantulas in our tents, the massive mosquitoes, and the pleasant aroma of the city lol. It was nice returning to the states in January with a hell of a tan.

Ever go to the Air Force base? I never knew plastic tents with air conditioning, and water buffaloes with water chillers existed until I saw how they live. Must have been nice.
    Last edited by ac guy; 12-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Thread Information