cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Relive bad memories over and over

I was just wondering if I am alone in this or if other people are dealing with this. Maybe I should join an AA forum but I like it here so anyway. Especially when I have a lot of idle time, I tend to relive my bad memories over and over. It could be a time I wasn't kind to someone, or maybe some endeavor I failed at whether a job or friendship or relationship, but I find myself recycling the bad memories a lot. I just want them gone and out of my head but its like Rambo said you don't just turn it off. Do you guys have a technique to help with this? I have seen some tough dudes try to deal with it by becoming immoral monsters who don't care about anything or anyone and I don't want to handle it that way I don't care if that makes me soft. I have been sober for a week and it is helping. I have been sober for months at a time previously and found true happiness and wish to pursue that again so I want to continue sobriety. I think it will get better for me if I can stay sober for months or longer at a time.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I am the same way. I have seen some nasty shit in my life. Most of which no one needs to see throughout their life. I relive them a lot for some fvcking reason.

Now, I just brush them off and look forward to how good I have it now. < This is the best answer I came up with for myself.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Sometimes in life you have to accept the mistakes you have made. I have made a lot. I have done some horrible things, and made some of the worst decisions in my life while not being sober. I have issues with alcohol myself. I dont drink everyday and can go months without drinking but once I start I lose control. This past weekend was the first time in a long time in I just had a couple of beers at diner and then went home. Usually alcohol for me turns to drugs then girls and before you know it its 930am and I am thinking what the hell just happened. Then during the hangover I start reflecting on all the poor decisions I have made.

I have just come to grips that my life would be better without alcohol. I am all or nothing guy when I drink. I am trying to change that but I have learned drinking anyting besides beer makes that impossible. For me its not the substance its the party. Its the club or the music or the hunt for a girl. I just keep telling myself that my life will be better sober.

Good luck and congrats on the week

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Dont regret anything in life. Look at is as a learning experience and change it. Sure it will never go away completely and the mind has a good way of bringing it back up, but dont let it get to you.

Dont let your mind mess with you. Find ways to overlook it or distract yourself. But overall just accept what has happened. Accepting it does not mean you agree with it nor does it mean you have to go back to it. It simply helps to give a sense of peace.

I personally have never dealt with serious addiction but I have had my fair share of things I would like to forget. Randomly it comes up. People that have affected me coming up constantly in dreams years later.All it takes is something small to trigger a memory. I just make the best of it and tell myself that is not me anymore and is in the past.

You are who you are and you will always be you. But your past does not have to define you. It is what you do know and for the rest of life that will dictate your happiness and character

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    We all have our demons Bro.You just cant let them run your life.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Thanks so much guys. I am about to leave for the gym which is my sanctuary where I truly feel at peace.

Eddie_m63 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog
    Tell me about it

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post

Thanks so much guys. I am about to leave for the gym which is my sanctuary where I truly feel at peace.
    That's the best place to be. Take it out on the weights.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    I think everyone does relive things over and over. I know I do from time to time but it's hard to move on with certain things but you do live to move on I think.

Thread Information