Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -

Australian Shepard

Dies anyone know the good and bad of the Australian Shepard as a breed? My wife and I are looking at a puppy. We have a 22 month old son. I've always had labs pointers or setters.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Bump cuz i'm curious to.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had one about 10 years ago for a SHORT time. These dogs are frigen crazy. Because they are so intelligent they require a TON o stimulation. My dog at shingles off the side of my house and was always problematic. I eventually got rid of her because she was so crazy. If you can give the dog enough stimulus it may be more calm but my dog was out of her tits crazy.

Check out a Shiba Inu

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Dies anyone know the good and bad of the Australian Shepard as a breed? My wife and I are looking at a puppy. We have a 22 month old son. I've always had labs pointers or setters.
    I have one, 14 months old, Getting neutered today

Goods - Smart, Easy to Train, Obedient when Trained, Loves Water(playing in it).

Bads - Energetic(if you are very sedentary?) Needs alot of exercise, Gets easily bored with-out attention and will get destructive, Has to be brushed twice weekly and bathed weekly if you have a dusty environment.

All in all, Nothing bad, everything good. Most amazing dog ive ever owned, loyal as all fvck, will be sitting at the door waiting every night when you get home.

Pics - (his name is Cookie)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Australian Shepard-cookie-3.jpg   Australian Shepard-cookie-1.jpg   Australian Shepard-cookie-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wh1spa

I have one, 14 months old, Getting neutered today

Goods - Smart, Easy to Train, Obedient when Trained, Loves Water(playing in it).

Bads - Energetic(if you are very sedentary?) Needs alot of exercise, Gets easily bored with-out attention and will get destructive, Has to be brushed twice weekly and bathed weekly if you have a dusty environment.

All in all, Nothing bad, everything good. Most amazing dog ive ever owned, loyal as all fvck, will be sitting at the door waiting every night when you get home.

Pics - (his name is Cookie)
    Here's what we are looking at

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2412513814.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	508.3 KB 
ID:	131816

Thanks wh1spa

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Here's what we are looking at

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2412513814.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	508.3 KB 
ID:	131816

Thanks wh1spa
    If you've spent any time around similar breeds, Border Collies, Huskies, German Shepherds, and you know what they are like with energy/stimulus requirements, then i wouldnt recommend a better dog! Best temperament.

Ive got at the moment a Pure Bred Aussie Shepherd, Bordercollie x Husky, and Pure Bred Husky.

Previously owned 3 x Border Collies
    1 x German Shepherd
    2 x Alaskan Malamutes

Glad I could be of any, if any assistance to you cape.

PS: pup looks gorgeous
    Last edited by wh1spa; 01-13-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: PS: pup looks gorgeous :D

EverettCD is offline Member
    They're great dogs if you live on a working ranch LOL. A friend has one & he is one of the smartest dogs ever, but he is constantly on the move. He makes our 3 Labs look like couch potatoes & our dogs are hunting dogs.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would get a dog that sheds like a husky. NO WAY!
    I do love them though
    I got a Britney spaniel and he is perfect. Had him for one year. Came from a great hm.
    He is awesome. Very smart already for 1 yr old pup and he never gets to excited and is very friendly. Dont have to worry about him around my nieces and nephew

stpete is offline Banned
    My buddy has one. Good dog. Smart. Acts like a badass when you're outside the fence but once in he's a real *****. Excellent w/kids. But he does keep his distance and gives me weird looks from time to time.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    My buddy has one. Good dog. Smart. Acts like a badass when you're outside the fence but once in he's a real *****. Excellent w/kids. But he does keep his distance and gives me weird looks from time to time.
    He is sizing you up.

OP __ I have a shepherd and lived in an apartment in NYC. I was two blocks from central park and I knew areas I could take him to throw the ball around for awhile on top of three long walks a day. If I didnt work from home it would never have worked. These types of dogs need a job. They are working dogs and need to get their energy out or they will make your life hell. If I knew what I do now given my sitaution I would have def re considered doing it or getting him fixed so he could go to dog parks but this does not apply to anyone with a house.

I odnt know if the ages mesh well but I guess that also dpends on your expeirence with working dogs

milky01623 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete
    Dude he wants a piece of your ass ;-)

Thanks everyone. The breed may be a little higher energy than what we need but I don't know. We spend a lot of time out doors. But not 2-3 hr walks or 3 hr freebie throwing. They are so smart and think he would be a creat companion to grow up with my son. Both parent live on a horse ranch (240 horses) the dad is a couch potato and the mom walks the property but no real herding. I wonder if the puppy would have those traits?he is the most mellow out of the 8.

Bump one time. Still trying to decide.

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I've never had an Australian Shepard but I've know people who have and they had gret thing to say. I'd say get it. How can you resist that little puppy face?

Quote Originally Posted by bigZthedestroyer View Post
    I've never had an Australian Shepard but I've know people who have and they had gret thing to say. I'd say get it. How can you resist that little puppy face?
    It's the 2-3 hrs of exercise they need. Or we are told. 1-1.5 plus outdoor time and walks we can do. We just want the best for him and us. My labs have been low maintenance.

His name will/would be. Sir Beauregard Blue Train

His dads name is . Bocephus. Our son can say blue and he loves trains. ???? Cool ??? Seems cool to us. Ha ha

EverettCD is offline Member
    I say go for it. They're great dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Cape you can take this with a grain of salt but I dont think its a good match for your son. I personally think a retriever breed or a pointer breed would be better. Herding breeds are known "nippers".

My Chesapeake Bay Retriever is wonderful with my son, great protection instict, gentle and understanding.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chesapeake...ever/index.cfm
    Last edited by Hunter; 01-15-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Cape you can take this with a grain of salt but I dont think its a good match for your son. I personally think a retriever breed or a pointer breed would be better. Herding breeds are known "nippers".

My Chesapeake Bay Retriever is wonderful with my son, great protection instict, gentle and understanding.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chesapeake...ever/index.cfm
    I know I have heard that. Thanks hunter

Rwy
    My shepherd was over excitied with kids when he was a puppy and would nip at them but to them its scary even though I knew he was playing. I just didnt know how to handle these situations so I kept him away from kids all together which cause another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy
    My shepherd was over excitied with kids when he was a puppy and would nip at them but to them its scary even though I knew he was playing. I just didnt know how to handle these situations so I kept him away from kids all together which cause another issue.
    Socialization and discipline

Rwy
    I think at this point I need a professional. He listens very well to me but he gets skiddish around lots of kids. I walked past aschool the other day and he got very timid which I never saw before. Since its children I thought a professional should help me with it rather then me figuring it out on my own

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    I think at this point I need a professional. He listens very well to me but he gets skiddish around lots of kids. I walked past aschool the other day and he got very timid which I never saw before. Since its children I thought a professional should help me with it rather then me figuring it out on my own
    I agree completely. Dog behavior is very interesting to say the least. But a good trainer will be the way to go.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thats why I went to britney spaniel as I already mentioned. He has plenty of energy but nothing near some crazy dogs that never sit still. Mine is only 13 months and does everything I want him to so far.
    Big plus I dont even have to.leash him on a walk cause I say stop he stops doesn't matter if another dog.person or.bird

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo

It's the 2-3 hrs of exercise they need. Or we are told. 1-1.5 plus outdoor time and walks we can do. We just want the best for him and us. My labs have been low maintenance.

His name will/would be. Sir Beauregard Blue Train

His dads name is . Bocephus. Our son can say blue and he loves trains. ???? Cool ??? Seems cool to us. Ha ha
    I like the name! Yeah that a lot of exercise on your and the dogs part..you could always look at it as an alternative cardio. Lol

Thread Information