Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066

    Newsted - For the Metal Fans

    Jason Newsted, formerly of Metallica started a new band "Newsted" and released their first EP a few days ago titled "Metal" first full album to come out later this year. I've listened to the EP and while I wouldn't call it revolutionary or anything like that it's still freakin bad ass! This is just good metal and funny thing about it is it's more Metallica sounding than anything Metallica's done in years. I've never understood why Metallica has felt it constantly needs to reinvent itself when what made them and what people want is that pure sound they made famous. Newsted's band may have it...guess we'll see. This is very stomp....Enjoy!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kRWwxCPyjw

  2. #2
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Crap, not sure why the video didn't embed....is there a problem or some new way to do that on here?

  3. #3
    lstbred's Avatar
    lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,054
    I like it! Just heard on the radio he's back (massive shoulder damage) so this is awesome.

  4. #4
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    10,151
    I don't really like this stuff. It just doesn't go anywhere. It's like thrash without any thrash.

  5. #5
    DCI's Avatar
    DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,542
    Sounds good to me, different enough to be called his and has good elements from other bands I've heard.

  6. #6
    JJ78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    1,524
    Jason should not sing, anything. The lyrics are horrible.

    deifintly aint no .....And Justice For All

  7. #7
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I don't really like this stuff. It just doesn't go anywhere. It's like thrash without any thrash.
    Thrash without any thrash? I'm not sure what this means but OK.

  8. #8
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post
    Jason should not sing, anything. The lyrics are horrible.

    deifintly aint no .....And Justice For All
    His vocals remind me of Chuck Billy a little bit. I think it's pretty good. No it's not Metallica but it's not supposed to be. Still better than anything Metallica has done in a long time though and I say that as a huge Metallica fan.

  9. #9
    DCI's Avatar
    DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,542
    Have to agree with MetalJect man, def better than anything Metallica has come out in a long time the last good album by them was An justic for all.

  10. #10
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    10,151
    Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    Have to agree with MetalJect man, def better than anything Metallica has come out in a long time the last good album by them was An justic for all.
    You didn't like Death Magnetic? It took a while to get used to, but I like it. It doesn't rival Justice or even the black album, but it's way better than Shit Anger.

  11. #11
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    Have to agree with MetalJect man, def better than anything Metallica has come out in a long time the last good album by them was An justic for all.
    I think the black album was great. I know some didn't care for it but I've never understood why. It held to the Metallica sound and it's hard to say it's not good metal IMO. Songs like Holier Than Thou, Sad but True, Unforgiven, Of Wolf & Man, those songs are awesome. The production on that album is probably the best of any they've ever done. I do think the production is what turned some off though, the crystal sound of the album. They just finally had the money for great production. That album is still pure metal IMO.

    Load albums, definitely weaker and they really got away from their defined sound. The first Load album, pretty decent album but definitely not true Metallica. I've always said if any other band had come out with that album it would have been an even bigger success but it didn't really fit Metallica, that's true.

  12. #12
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    You didn't like Death Magnetic? It took a while to get used to, but I like it. It doesn't rival Justice or even the black album, but it's way better than Shit Anger.
    Death Magnetic was decent. Best album since Black but definitely different. I do wish Metallica would stop trying to reinvent themselves though. When a band finds a sound that brings them success that's the type of sound they need to stick to, that's what people want but Metallica has gotten stuck in this idea that they need to constantly reinvent their sound....big mistake IMO. But sure, Death Magnetic has some very decent songs. And yes, St. Anger is one of the worst things of all time. Understandable when you consider what the band was dealing with at that time but still horrible and they know it. If you go to a Metallica show it's not like you're going to hear a bunch of St. Anger songs....bands know when they put out something terrible.

  13. #13
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Another track from Newsted.
    This one may be my favorite.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuFthydoJ4

  14. #14
    -Ender-'s Avatar
    -Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chaos
    Posts
    20,967
    Reminds me of Prong.

    Good to see Jason doing something. Solos are pretty weak.

  15. #15
    DCI's Avatar
    DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    You didn't like Death Magnetic? It took a while to get used to, but I like it. It doesn't rival Justice or even the black album, but it's way better than Shit Anger.
    I did for a while but I listened to it recently and it was just a bit meh. They have ruined all their more recent albums with really compressing down the soundtracks so that they are louder on Download and radio. Which if you have a proper stereo makes your tweeters clip and cause the low end to get all lost from the compression so the sound is never smooth and just sounds harsh. I know, metal is meant to be loud but listen to older heavy stuff of theirs and it sounds great due to it not being compressed to death or over sound engineered a friend of mine does sound engineering in his spare time and you can hear the difference compared to compressed to death music and spending time on the compression.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalject View Post
    I think the black album was great. I know some didn't care for it but I've never understood why. It held to the Metallica sound and it's hard to say it's not good metal IMO. Songs like Holier Than Thou, Sad but True, Unforgiven, Of Wolf & Man, those songs are awesome. The production on that album is probably the best of any they've ever done. I do think the production is what turned some off though, the crystal sound of the album. They just finally had the money for great production. That album is still pure metal IMO.

    Load albums, definitely weaker and they really got away from their defined sound. The first Load album, pretty decent album but definitely not true Metallica. I've always said if any other band had come out with that album it would have been an even bigger success but it didn't really fit Metallica, that's true.
    True I agree on the black album lol I kinda forgot that came out after and justice. I have to say all the songs you listed are quite possibley some of their best. And Bob Rock did a great job of recording that album and the songs all bounced off each other correctly too.

    Yes agree on load too but comparing their more modern stuff to ride the lightening which I think is one of their best albums by a country mile compared to MOP.

    And that other song is great too

  16. #16
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    I did for a while but I listened to it recently and it was just a bit meh. They have ruined all their more recent albums with really compressing down the soundtracks so that they are louder on Download and radio. Which if you have a proper stereo makes your tweeters clip and cause the low end to get all lost from the compression so the sound is never smooth and just sounds harsh. I know, metal is meant to be loud but listen to older heavy stuff of theirs and it sounds great due to it not being compressed to death or over sound engineered a friend of mine does sound engineering in his spare time and you can hear the difference compared to compressed to death music and spending time on the compression.



    True I agree on the black album lol I kinda forgot that came out after and justice. I have to say all the songs you listed are quite possibley some of their best. And Bob Rock did a great job of recording that album and the songs all bounced off each other correctly too.

    Yes agree on load too but comparing their more modern stuff to ride the lightening which I think is one of their best albums by a country mile compared to MOP.

    And that other song is great too
    It's hard for me to say which album is best...the choices are too tough IMO. Master of Puppets, Creeping Death and Fade to Black are the all-time best songs though, One, Battery and Blackened are right there with them though.

  17. #17
    Metalject's Avatar
    Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ender- View Post
    Reminds me of Prong.

    Good to see Jason doing something. Solos are pretty weak.
    From what I read this EP was put together very fast. I'm excited about the upcoming full album. From what I've heard on the EP if they can hold to that style this band has some real potential, which is great because metal is really struggling right now. Beyond Lamb of God there's not really anyone putting out any really strong stuff. Children of Bodom and Arch Enemy, two of my modern favorites have really slacked lately IMO. And the latest Testament album, man I was excited about that thing but it sucked a big pile of suck....really disappointing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •