Thread: Sciatica

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"

Sciatica

I'm high on tramacet and cyclobenzaprine right now trying to go about my life. I could barely sleep last night. Just a dull pain radiating through my lower back and leg.

Hate when it flares up. Think it stemmed from me picking up the 120's to do shrugs. I must of pinched the nerve when standing up with the dumbells.

It flares up once or twice a year for me. Luckily I had a third of prescription left from last time so I went and picked it up.

That tramacet makes me itch like a junkie.

Anyone else gets that? And any tricks for it? I find stretching my hamstrings will give me temporary relief.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357 View Post
    I'm high on tramacet and cyclobenzaprine right now trying to go about my life. I could barely sleep last night. Just a dull pain radiating through my lower back and leg.

Hate when it flares up. Think it stemmed from me picking up the 120's to do shrugs. I must of pinched the nerve when standing up with the dumbells.

It flares up once or twice a year for me. Luckily I had a third of prescription left from last time so I went and picked it up.

That tramacet makes me itch like a junkie.

Anyone else gets that? And any tricks for it? I find stretching my hamstrings will give me temporary relief.
    Ice..20min on 20 min off! Avoid heating it (no hot tubs or heating pads)!
    I suggest an MRI ASAP. Long term nerve issues can end up being permanent if not addressed in a timely fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Ice..20min on 20 min off! Avoid heating it (no hot tubs or heating pads)!
    I suggest an MRI ASAP. Long term nerve issues can end up being permanent if not addressed in a timely fashion!
    I already had a CT scan done for the same issue last summer. I have a slightly bulging disc in my spine but nothing crazy. The doc cleared me to go back to the gym after a month off.

jmcbride69 is offline Junior Member
    Dude I had this about 7 years ago and I just couldn't take the pain anymore. Did all the physical therapy I could and still didn't help. Doc told me I could get surgery or get cortisone shots the rest of my life. I went with the surgery and I'm glad I did. Though I was pretty young and was able to recover quick I totally don't regret it. As long as I stay in the gym and keep my back strong I don't ever have any issues.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I already had a CT scan done for the same issue last summer. I have a slightly bulging disc in my spine but nothing crazy. The doc cleared me to go back to the gym after a month off.
    If that bulged disk continues to create issues with the nerve...over time permanent nerve damage WILL be the result!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    If that bulged disk continues to create issues with the nerve...over time permanent nerve damage WILL be the result!
    Yup, and two microdiscectomys later...here i am

frank13 is offline "AR's Official Turkey Bacon Expert"
    pain! who feels pain? not me

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frank13 View Post
    pain! who feels pain? not me
    looking at your avi makes me hungry

hey, Rex, are you allergic to NSAIDs? why are you on 2 types of meds that can both cause drowsiness?

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    man, pinched nerves and out of place discs are not to be taken lightly... being cleared to train DOES NOT mean go back to the 120s... the 100s will do fine! Just use slower reps

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    Yup, and two microdiscectomys later...here i am
    Same here.
    If it's really just sciatic never and ice does not relieve it within 48hrs (you have to do it diligently) then ask your doctor for prednisone. Those are the only 2 things that have ever helped me. Prednisone is a miricle cure when ice wont cut it.

Personally I would stay away from epidural injections. Some people get relief but I also have heard/read horror stories of permanent damage.
    I will see if I can find it but I also read a recent post how they are starting to use stem cell to fix the disc and having a lot of success. This is what I'm talking about. I cant wait for that to go main stream.

http://www.drmarkwiley.com/blog/adul...s-permanently/

In 2006, Dr. Stephen Richardson of the University of Manchester’s Division of Regenerative Medicine uncovered a method whereby stem cells are used to completely regenerate damaged intervertebral discs (IVD) with no rejection from the patient’s body. In collaboration with Arthro Kinetics — a German biotech company — and the well-respected international Spinal Foundation, Richardson developed the procedure of using cell-based tissue to regenerate IVD at the damage site.

With it he is able to combine the patient’s own mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) with a “naturally occurring collagen gel” that can then be surgically implanted into the affected area. The invasion is minimal and therefore appealing to my sense of holism, as it reduces the chances of post-surgical trauma and side effects.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 01-28-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    looking at your avi makes me hungry

hey, Rex, are you allergic to NSAIDs? why are you on 2 types of meds that can both cause drowsiness?
    Actually I take the tramacet during the day and have the flexeril at night before going to bed. I'm not allergic to NSAIDS, in fact I have ketorolac as part of my prescription. But that doesn't make you drowsy or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Same here.
    If it's really just sciatic never and ice does not relieve it within 48hrs (you have to do it diligently) then ask your doctor for prednisone. Those are the only 2 things that have ever helped me. Prednisone is a miricle cure when ice wont cut it.

Personally I would stay away from epidural injections. Some people get relief but I also have heard/read horror stories of permanent damage.
    I will see if I can find it but I also read a recent post how they are starting to use stem cell to fix the disc and having a lot of success. This is what I'm talking about. I cant wait for that to go main stream.

http://www.drmarkwiley.com/blog/adul...s-permanently/

In 2006, Dr. Stephen Richardson of the University of Manchester’s Division of Regenerative Medicine uncovered a method whereby stem cells are used to completely regenerate damaged intervertebral discs (IVD) with no rejection from the patient’s body. In collaboration with Arthro Kinetics — a German biotech company — and the well-respected international Spinal Foundation, Richardson developed the procedure of using cell-based tissue to regenerate IVD at the damage site.

With it he is able to combine the patient’s own mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) with a “naturally occurring collagen gel” that can then be surgically implanted into the affected area. The invasion is minimal and therefore appealing to my sense of holism, as it reduces the chances of post-surgical trauma and side effects.

That sounds pretty promising. My CT scan came back last summer showing slight bulging on L4 and Disc Degenerative Disease on L5.

That sounds pretty promising. My CT scan came back last summer showing slight bulging on L4 and Disc Degenerative Disease on L5.
    I had the same thing for probably 20 years L3 & L4. Mine got worse over time until I could not stand or walk more than 10 minutes at a time. I still remember when I made the decision I HAD to get it fixed. I took my daughter to Disneyland and could only walk for 10 minutes at a time needing to sit down all the time. Sucked to be a single dad of a 10yr old who had to keep stopping to rest. For me the surgery was 99% successful. Only problem is once you have a repair done you are 60% more likely to have a failure from the disc above or below the repair. Mine was L5/S1 that ruptured 2 years almost to the day of the previous surgery but it was also my fault for not getting back into shape.

I think it would have also helped over the years if I had been persistent at icing my back and keeping the inflammation down instead of constantly beating it up making it worse and worse.

If it's only a bulge I would also try using DMSO gel on it for a while. It's good at being an anti-inflammatory and will penetrate the skin. Just read up on the proper use before you try to. It's easy to put unwanted contaminates into your system with it if not used properly.

Yeah the stem cell stuff sounds pretty exciting, especially for people like us who have degenerative disk and have pain due to bone on bone. It would be nice to be able to repair that with a simple injection. Star Trek here we come; Beam me up Scotty.

Seriosly though for now if you are using ice as suggested 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off 3x in a row and 2 to 3x a day and it does not help at least 50% in 48 hrs ask your doctor for prednisone. If you have not used it before and if it's a sciatica issue I bet you will be thanking me within 48 hrs after using it.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Actually I take the tramacet during the day and have the flexeril at night before going to bed. I'm not allergic to NSAIDS, in fact I have ketorolac as part of my prescription. But that doesn't make you drowsy or anything.
    you can consider taking the keto during the day and choosing either the tramacet or flexeril for the night. that way you can still function during the day, and get a good night's sleep as well.

or you could go for surgery

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    I had a microlaminectomy.

I took all the drugs and felt better but still had that knife in my back, so to speak. I remember presurgery where they gave me some pretty good drugs and I was happy but still had the knife in my back. Then when they woke me up from sugery I was obviously really drugged, but remember moving just a little bit and not feeling that knife. I said out loud, 'He got it'.

I had done therapy, chiropractors, drugs and excersizes for years and nothing took the pain away. I couldn't be happier with my surgery. There is still a weak spot when doing a dead lift where its weak and I doubt will every be like before the injury, but I'm still able to lift, build houses, golf, fvck, etc. Never had a regret with surgery.

just my 2 cents

reiss c is offline Associate Member
    I have a slipped disk and have had bad sciatic pains

I was like u I couldn't sleep walk or work I was a state. And age of 20

I actually done own research and I told my doctor to prescribe me amertripline. Sorry bout spelling.

It's actually a tablet for depression. But in low dosage. 20mg helps really well for muscle and nerve relaxing.

It's helped great With me and now just do my pre stretches befor work etc

Quote Originally Posted by reiss c
    I have a slipped disk and have had bad sciatic pains

I was like u I couldn't sleep walk or work I was a state. And age of 20

I actually done own research and I told my doctor to prescribe me amertripline. Sorry bout spelling.

It's actually a tablet for depression. But in low dosage. 20mg helps really well for muscle and nerve relaxing.

It's helped great With me and now just do my pre stretches befor work etc

P.s

Try not to go on the aspirin and that to much as its killer for wearing stomach lining as I also found out after stomach ulcer burst

This is not a constant condition for me. I'd say it flares up twice a year. For now I'm OK just taking meds for a week twice a year. If it becomes an every month thing then I'll consider surgery.

BlueWaffle21 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I can't tell you how many times someone would come in with sciatic pain and it was simply a rotation in the hip. Fix the hip rotation and the back/leg pain vanishes!

.......This isn't every case but it was the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaffle21 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times someone would come in with sciatic pain and it was simply a rotation in the hip. Fix the hip rotation and the back/leg pain vanishes!

.......This isn't every case but it was the majority.
    Never was my case. Been seeing Chiropractors (good ones) for years off and on. Adjusting never fixed mine but I knew I also have some serious damage.

I also done a very long course physiotherapy that helped great .. But mine was 24/7 for nearly 2 years

BlueWaffle21 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Never was my case. Been seeing Chiropractors (good ones) for years off and on. Adjusting never fixed mine but I knew I also have some serious damage.
    ugh chiropractors!!! They are a temporary fix and never teach you how to fix the problem. That is a general statement and not downplaying your injury.

Thread Information