tebby is offline Junior Member

Why are some smith machines angled and some vertical to the floor at 90 degrees

I know this is a very odd and possibly even irrelevant but I WANNA KNOW dammit
    I have an angled one at home and I flip around for military to throw the weight forward away from my body. Military press is an exercise that I fear injury on (for no other reason than it can blow out a shoulder if I do it wrong or overload the bar)

Of course bench is done with the weight going slightly from sternum to chin.

does it even matter....

I also squat on the smith machine. I work out alone in my house and I tried to train my wife on spotting and I almost crushed my throat in the process, partly becasue i was laughing so hard with her. She had no idea what she was doing. That was my bad not hers.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I believe most are at 7% but they can be different based on the use of the machine.

You are correct sir(as usual).............I threw a crown molding angle measure on the thing at it was 7 degrees.
    Am I correct that I want to throw the weight FWD of my torso on military. I touch the back of my head on the exercise with my humerus parallel to the floor

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!

thanks HK.....I know it is associated with vag*na lifting but I am a loner with a home gym.
    I love mine but need to upgrade. Is there an "equipment forum" for those that have bought and sold stuff over the years to give advise. I guess a smith maching is a smith machine (mine is not bolted to the floor so squats are limited) but then again I have bird leg asitis which I cannot solve over the years

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tebby View Post
    thanks HK.....I know it is associated with vag*na lifting but I am a loner with a home gym.
    I love mine but need to upgrade. Is there an "equipment forum" for those that have bought and sold stuff over the years to give advise. I guess a smith maching is a smith machine (mine is not bolted to the floor so squats are limited) but then again I have bird leg asitis which I cannot solve over the years
    Never heard of this "Vagina lifting". Is it something new? Any links?

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Smith machine question if u don't mind...

When I do squats, I back into the bar from the side that holds the bar and has those catcher thingys. Should I be twirled around 180 degrees??? Does it matter?

Depends on the $ you want to spend. I bought a used one with some weights for $350 but it's not "heavy duty". Some easily sell for over 5K. If Gixx ever comes back on he has a wealth of info on some very nice ones. He used to sell equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

When I do squats, I back into the bar from the side that holds the bar and has those catcher thingys. Should I be twirled around 180 degrees??? Does it matter?
    You should stand in front of the machine with your back to the bar...then back under the bar. Does that make sense?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    i always enter the same as i do with a squat rack.. going in forwards, assuming ur squatting, but i would recommend box squatting above all others for my preference, its all i do..

triple dropset box squatting at that! itll make u go from warmed up to drenched, out of breath, and dripping sweat in one freaking set!!
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 05-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    i always enter the same as i do with a squat rack.. going in forwards, assuming ur squatting, but i would recommend box squatting above all others for my preference, its all i do..

triple dropset box squatting at that! itll make u go from warmed up to drenched, out of breath, and dripping sweat in one freaking set!!
    Assuming the Smith is one with a degree of angle then I would do the opposite. Helps me stay on my heels

I dont roll on shabbas Donnie.....

I dont roll on shabbas Donnie.....
    huh??

Squats make me feel sick if I am doing them right. Wears me out to the core of my body.
    I hate them.......really. I am long legged so it is a long throw for me. I will never squat for the Rumanian Oly team
    Gotta do what I gotta do I guess

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Assuming the Smith is one with a degree of angle then I would do the opposite. Helps me stay on my heels
    that was meant for selfmade and was a reference to his profile pic.....I am (and likely he is too) a big lebowski fan
    no more posting for me today clearly.....

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

No it doesn't matter.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    huh??
    Saturday, Lunk, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't fvcking ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit don't fvcking roll!

Shomer Shabbos!!!

Classic......
    It never gets old even after 100 viewings. The cremation urn at the end is still one of the funniest scenes in the history of entertainment

=Honkey_Kong;6545620]Saturday, Lunk, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't fvcking ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit don't fvcking roll!

Shomer Shabbos!!![/QUOTE]

Thread Information