Results 1 to 31 of 31
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By austinite
  • 1 Post By austinite

Thread: The dreaded FBI "virus"

  1. #1
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383

    The dreaded FBI "virus"

    I got this damn thing recently and for the life of me couldn't get rid of it. Had to pay some nut in India and he finally got it off after 30 minutes of work.

    It was explained to me it is not a "virus" per say, but instead some kind of program (what's the difference?) that the virus filters are unable to detect.

    The damn thing locked up my laptop, and all I could do was power the machine off.

    Anyone else ever get this?

    Any advice?

  2. #2
    AD's Avatar
    AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,809
    Any idea how or when it got onto your laptop?

  3. #3
    Hoggage_54's Avatar
    Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Repost
    Posts
    7,434
    It was probably the same guy who "fixed" the virus...

  4. #4
    probuild42 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    In the cage!
    Posts
    632
    I got that a few months back. I was able to restart my computer in Safe mode (when your computer starts push I think f8, you will see prompt). The Virus works by putting a shortcut on your windows start up configuration to make it automatically start internet browser and then go straight to FBI website (that awesome screen you are stuck on).

    Now the fun part. The virus root files have been changed several times it may not be the same as what I had on my computer. I googled on another computer or your phone "how to remove FBI virus" and multi sites come up to remove. You will have to find the root files to delete to get rid of the virus. I like AVG maleware remover (may work may not). I ended up totally reloading my computer to get rid of it. I spent hours and hours working on it. I still ended up taking my laptop to my computer guy to reconfigure. He had it all fixed in a morning and charged me $80.00 and told me he could have saved everything and would have charged me less if would have just brought it to him in the first place. If your not super computer savy I would take it in (lot less aggrevating).

  5. #5
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    Quote Originally Posted by probuild42 View Post
    I got that a few months back. I was able to restart my computer in Safe mode (when your computer starts push I think f8, you will see prompt). The Virus works by putting a shortcut on your windows start up configuration to make it automatically start internet browser and then go straight to FBI website (that awesome screen you are stuck on).

    Now the fun part. The virus root files have been changed several times it may not be the same as what I had on my computer. I googled on another computer or your phone "how to remove FBI virus" and multi sites come up to remove. You will have to find the root files to delete to get rid of the virus. I like AVG maleware remover (may work may not). I ended up totally reloading my computer to get rid of it. I spent hours and hours working on it. I still ended up taking my laptop to my computer guy to reconfigure. He had it all fixed in a morning and charged me $80.00 and told me he could have saved everything and would have charged me less if would have just brought it to him in the first place. If your not super computer savy I would take it in (lot less aggrevating).
    the people that fixed mine in India worked for Norton. Not sure why the virus filter didn't work, but I was given some vague answer.

  6. #6
    thehor's Avatar
    thehor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    766
    Those viruses are really funny.

  7. #7
    probuild42 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    In the cage!
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    the people that fixed mine in India worked for Norton. Not sure why the virus filter didn't work, but I was given some vague answer.
    Norton is bad!! They probably started the virus!! bastards.. I like AVG been using it for years no problems until I got this.

  8. #8
    Hoggage_54's Avatar
    Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Repost
    Posts
    7,434
    I heard the FBI virus only spreads with gay porn...

  9. #9
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,936
    Thankfully it wasn't the CIA virus. It's even worse!
    SexySweetheart likes this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  10. #10
    probuild42 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    In the cage!
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    I heard the FBI virus only spreads with gay porn...

    Now we know how you got it!! LMAO

  11. #11
    SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I got this damn thing recently and for the life of me couldn't get rid of it. Had to pay some nut in India and he finally got it off after 30 minutes of work.

    It was explained to me it is not a "virus" per say, but instead some kind of program (what's the difference?) that the virus filters are unable to detect.

    The damn thing locked up my laptop, and all I could do was power the machine off.

    Anyone else ever get this?

    Any advice?


    not sure if i got this or not but TS had to buy me a new cheepo laptop cuz THAT EXACT thing happened to me....during finals week no less! lost all my projects just before turning them in/ pix etc...now I always save everything to "the cloud" just encase and have decided to never again spend thousands on a laptop ( I was a gamer WOW and needed to power) now i wont spend more than 500 cuz i seem to plow through friggan laptops ~ and i dont even porn surf ...so unfair lol

  12. #12
    kronik420's Avatar
    kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,257
    i just reformat my computer every month or so..

    every porn download comes with a free virus...

  13. #13
    BeastBro66's Avatar
    BeastBro66 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Empire
    Posts
    68
    Most viruses can be fought and you can win. It takes a lot of patience.

    Best advice is to do weekly backups to an external drive so you don't lose your data.

    Keep your AV up to date and run daily scans.

    Get something like CCleaner or Malwarebytes and run it in safe mode. Then schedule a boot scan with your AV when you reboot into regular mode.
    There are some really good free AV programs out there too, like AVG or Avast.

    Watch your porn on safer sites.

  14. #14
    chi's Avatar
    chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    corruption
    Posts
    1,782
    gay porno come on tr

  15. #15
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Man, I got the Mall Security virus. Guess I'm not that important...

    TR, google how to remove the virus, you'll find a step by step walk-through.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  16. #16
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    Man, I got the Mall Security virus. Guess I'm not that important...

    TR, google how to remove the virus, you'll find a step by step walk-through.
    too complicated. and too many variations of the FBI....

    I paid the $99.99 for the full 12 months, and any virus I get now they have to remove for free

  17. #17
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    too complicated. and too many variations of the FBI....

    I paid the $99.99 for the full 12 months, and any virus I get now they have to remove for free
    You didn't pay directly from that computer, did you?
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  18. #18
    dude700 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    104
    That's why I have two separate hard drives. One for my operating system only, and another for all my storage. If I ever get a virus, I could just wipe the one hard drive while still having all my data.

  19. #19
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by dude700 View Post
    That's why I have two separate hard drives. One for my operating system only, and another for all my storage. If I ever get a virus, I could just wipe the one hard drive while still having all my data.
    Viruses generally don't wipe hard drives clean. And if your slave drive is on the same machine, chances are it's infected, too. Always use external storage.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  20. #20
    AnabolicDoc's Avatar
    AnabolicDoc is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    i just reformat my computer every month or so..
    Is that the same thing as defragmenting?

  21. #21
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicDoc View Post
    Is that the same thing as defragmenting?
    No. Formatting is wiping the drive clean and starting fresh. Defragmenting is a process that organizes and compresses files and folders so that your computer runs more efficiently.
    AnabolicDoc likes this.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  22. #22
    AnabolicDoc's Avatar
    AnabolicDoc is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastBro66 View Post
    Get something like CCleaner or Malwarebytes and run it in safe mode. Then schedule a boot scan with your AV when you reboot into regular mode.
    There are some really good free AV programs out there too, like AVG or Avast.
    I like AVG, but it's not free anymore. At least not for Windows 8. I found Norton and McAfee to be too intrusive. My latest laptop (Sony Vaio) came with Kaspersky, never heard of it before, but it seemed fine. After the 30 day free trial, I downloaded AVG and then had to buy it after its 30 day trial. I think I prefer AVG bc I got used to it from the many years it was free.

  23. #23
    Sfla80's Avatar
    Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    6,646
    I got this. Was time for a new computer anyways. So bought one. Other is still sitting there with the virus.

  24. #24
    AnabolicDoc's Avatar
    AnabolicDoc is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    No. Formatting is wiping the drive clean and starting fresh. Defragmenting is a process that organizes and compresses files and folders so that your computer runs more efficiently.
    Thanks. I defragment regularly, or at least I used to. Can't figure out how to do it on Windows 8, but haven't tried googling the answer yet either.

  25. #25
    dude700 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    Viruses generally don't wipe hard drives clean. And if your slave drive is on the same machine, chances are it's infected, too. Always use external storage.
    When I put my computer two years ago, I was told to use two separate hard drives. I just assumed it was for viruses or something. So I guess I'm not safe after all!

  26. #26
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicDoc View Post
    Thanks. I defragment regularly, or at least I used to. Can't figure out how to do it on Windows 8, but haven't tried googling the answer yet either.
    That's because they changed the process name to Optimize Drive.

    My Computer --> Select a drive --> Manage --> optimize.
    AnabolicDoc likes this.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  27. #27
    Newchick76's Avatar
    Newchick76 is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego, ca
    Posts
    30
    That is why I use a MAC. I. Used to have a new PC a year because of silly viruses! They are horrible and hard to get rid of. Glad you got it fixed.

  28. #28
    tigerspawn's Avatar
    tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Any idea how or when it got onto your laptop?
    I just got this FN thing on my lap top. My GF was trying to download something. My firewalls prevented her from downloading. She turned off all protected modes and downloaded. Now I have this on my computer. Should I fix it my self or have her pay to fix it. I am thinking of having her pay to fix it.

  29. #29
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post
    I just got this FN thing on my lap top. My GF was trying to download something. My firewalls prevented her from downloading. She turned off all protected modes and downloaded. Now I have this on my computer. Should I fix it my self or have her pay to fix it. I am thinking of having her pay to fix it.
    I'd suggest just paying for it yourself. It's your computer, you allowed her to use it, what she did wasn't intentional....

    ....if you love her, you should be OK with sometimes cleaning up her mess.

    I have Norton. For $99.99, you can purchase their extended hands on protection. this means they will manually remove this virus for you on line, and they will remove all your viruses, as many as you get, for a full year.

  30. #30
    BluPhin's Avatar
    BluPhin is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    I heard the FBI virus only spreads with gay porn...
    that's funny (;

  31. #31
    tigerspawn's Avatar
    tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I'd suggest just paying for it yourself. It's your computer, you allowed her to use it, what she did wasn't intentional....
    I ended up fixing it myself. I had already fixed a friends computer about a month ago. We had talk about her turning protected mode off. My computer doesn’t have difficulty down loading. Software prevents it from downloading when program detects a problem. I don’t mind her using anything I own. I only wish that she wouldn’t use my razor. Shaving my face after she does her legs is like using a weed wacker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    ....if you love her, you should be OK with sometimes cleaning up her mess.
    Times your always so wise and level headed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I have Norton. For $99.99, you can purchase their extended hands on protection. this means they will manually remove this virus for you on line, and they will remove all your viruses, as many as you get, for a full year.
    I get all my virus protection for free. It has always kept my system safe. Only time I get infected is when someone turns the protected mode off.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •