Thread: True or False

RajaSultan is offline Associate Member

True or False

i just found this about glutamine supplements

Glutamine or L-Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid found primarily in muscle tissue. Over 61 percent of skeletal muscle tissue is glutamine. It's responsible for carrying nitrogen into the muscle cell for muscle growth. Glutamine is released from the muscle cell under prolonged exercise, causing water to be discharged, dehydration, and muscle breakdown. Glutamine also plays a role in brain function, immunity, and GI (gastrointestinal) health.

Research on glutamine supplementation is scarce and conflicting. Some have found that supplementation does indeed decrease muscle breakdown under very high levels of stress to the muscle, whereas others show no improvements to muscle growth, performance, or recovery time. The one area that seems promising for glutamine supplementation is reduced incidence of infection after exhaustive exercise, boosting the immune system.

During intense training, glutamine levels are greatly depleted in muscle, decreasing strength, stamina, and recovery. It takes up to six days for glutamine levels to return to normal. Glutamine could also increase the body's ability to secrete Human Growth Hormone , which helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth. People may choose to take glutamine supplements to help with muscle growth, increase glycogen storage, decrease muscle breakdown, promote speedier recovery time after workouts, increase immunity, and/or enhance mental clarity and memory. People who are "cutting-down" burning fat without losing muscle may supplement for this purpose. The desired potential effects of glutamine cease once supplementation is discontinued meaning if you stop taking it, it doesn't take long for your body to stop gaining the effects of supplements.

Given the lack of conclusive research and your reasons for supplementing with glutamine, you will need to determine if it's worth the cost. In addition, dietary supplements are not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), so there's no guarantee of these products' effectiveness or safety. However, if you're considering using glutamine, the recommended dose of the powdered form is between 10 - 15 grams per day, contingent upon your eating plan and exercise intensity. It is also suggested that the dose be split during the day (i.e., if you are taking 10 grams, take 5 grams in the morning and 5 grams in the evening).

Because glutamine is a naturally occurring substance in the body, when supplemented in moderation, it produces no adverse side effects. If an individual takes more than the recommended dose, however, s/he may experience stomach aches. I find this to be the case with pill form glutamine more often than powder. Those with Type I or Type II diabetes need to seriously consider not supplementing with glutamine. Excess amounts of glutamine in the blood may be used to produce glucose instead of passing harmlessly out of the body. As a precaution, anyone considering starting a regimen that includes glutamine supplementation needs to consult a medical provider, nutritionist, or other qualified health care professional first. You can usually find certified nutritionists at your gym. We have several at our local powerhouse.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    you'd be better off spending your $$ on food....

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    I am not going to read that buddy, but using glutamine post workout and before bed and love the results!!

PaxJax2 is offline Female Member
    Many articles on this one.......

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Supplements can help a little bit but usually become toxic when taken in doses large enough to cause a noticeable result.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    you'd be better off spending your $$ on food....
    Agreed

Thread Information