Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By bdos

Thread: Oil And Gas/Mining Industry. Canada, OZ, Middle East, Africa ect

Flacco is offline Member

Oil And Gas/Mining Industry. Canada, OZ, Middle East, Africa ect

So... I'm 28. I'm an Ironworker in NYC. Been working on the World Trade Center for the past couple of years. My job finished a couple months ago. I decided to take a year off to visit my family in Thailand. Every day, I consider staying here more and more. I think this is where I want to be. Trouble is, the Job market in Thailand isn't very foreigner friendly. I know alot of guys that live here and work in Oil/gas or Mining in other countries. I'm looking to get into either. I'll shovel shit, clean toilets, work in a kitchen washing dishes. Anything to get my foot in the door. I'd love to be doing something physical though. I can get recomendations from my forman/old boss'/the heads of my Union ect. I was hoping someone on here could at least give me some advice on how to break into the industry. I'm a very hard worker. Take pride in doing a good job and busting my ass all day. Unfortunatly, I don't know any welding, and I only have experience with Iron/steel work. Willing to start at the bottom. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you have any solid advice and could possibly put me in contact with someone who knows someone. Thnks all

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Could you handle working with Euroholic do you think?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black
    Hahahaha!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Look on rigzone dot com.

Plenty of Oil and Gas jobs there.

Also, look in the area you are wanting to target and see if there is any activity going on. See what operators are drilling in the area. If the Keystone Pipeline thing commences, there will be plenty of jobs.

Flacco is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    That went over my head Is euroholic a member on here?

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    Look on rigzone dot com.

Plenty of Oil and Gas jobs there.

Also, look in the area you are wanting to target and see if there is any activity going on. See what operators are drilling in the area. If the Keystone Pipeline thing commences, there will be plenty of jobs.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've done a little research. I know about rig zone. I'll look into it further. Looking for any/all advice/ recos from anyone knowledgable, so... keep em coming

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Flacco

That went over my head Is euroholic a member on here?
    Oh yes. Can't believe you haven't come across him. Keep an eye out!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    You and me would become good mates i am quite loveable!!!!

Sorry op you lost me at unions!!!!!!
    Flacco likes this.

Krb367 is offline Associate Member
    Rig zone would be your best bet bro. Or a lot of offshore companies list current available positions on their websites which you can apply for right there.

I've been working on land rigs for around 5 years and have thought a couple times about going offshore/overseas. Not all, but quite a few require certain certifications, and x amount of experience even for lower end positions. All you can do is apply

Flacco is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Sorry op you lost me at unions!!!!!!
    Yeah, I read about all the problems you guys are having in OZ with scabs/foreign/unskilled workers taking all your jobs. I'd be sour too. Or are you one of those scabs too? I'm trying to hop on that train myself

Quote Originally Posted by Krb367 View Post
    Rig zone would be your best bet bro. Or a lot of offshore companies list current available positions on their websites which you can apply for right there.

I've been working on land rigs for around 5 years and have thought a couple times about going offshore/overseas. Not all, but quite a few require certain certifications, and x amount of experience even for lower end positions. All you can do is apply
    Do you know off hand what Certs/Qualifications/courses I'd have to take just to get my foot in the door as far getting a job as a roughneck/roustabout? Any idea how much the courses cost? Are the certs good internationally? I know I'll have to start at the bottom. No ego here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco View Post
    Yeah, I read about all the problems you guys are having in OZ with scabs/foreign/unskilled workers taking all your jobs. I'd be sour too. Or are you one of those scabs too? I'm trying to hop on that train myself

Do you know off hand what Certs/Qualifications/courses I'd have to take just to get my foot in the door as far getting a job as a roughneck/roustabout? Any idea how much the courses cost? Are the certs good internationally? I know I'll have to start at the bottom. No ego here.
    Im no scab!!! 73k in tax this financial year is my evidence!!! I just dont believe in unions there ruining this country. Wages are too
    High. Its unsustainable.. Unions try to hold companies hostage with all there demands. People should just be happy they have jobs. Take your problem up with your boss directly dont resort to spineless unions.THE TAIL DOES NOT WAG THE DOG!!!!!
    Spartans09 likes this.

bdos is offline Anabolic Member
    Euro you sound like my dad hahah
    Euroholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdos900 View Post
    Euro you sound like my dad hahah

You come from good stock bra. Good non labor voting stock

bdos is offline Anabolic Member

You come from good stock bra. Good non labor voting stock
    Haha POW pub at nundah tonight come down for drink

Flacco is offline Member
    Im no scab!!! 73k in tax this financial year is my evidence!!! I just dont believe in unions there ruining this country. Wages are too
    High. Its unsustainable.. Unions try to hold companies hostage with all there demands. People should just be happy they have jobs. Take your problem up with your boss directly dont resort to spineless unions.THE TAIL DOES NOT WAG THE DOG!!!!!
    Wait... so you're Union, but at the same time anti union, and you're saying that your own wages are too high? Did I read that right? I agree for the most part.... The majority of Unions are full of lazy workers who take advantage and "fck the man" whenever they can. Thats human nature. Union Workforce in America is only down to 12% of all construction jobs. Its bc companies are realizing that scabs will work harder and cheaper. Maybe I'm being Biased, but I gotta defend my Union. We got our bad apples like anywhere else. Old timers working the system and what not. I know you're just going by what you see and what you know, but I take it personally when NYC Ironworkers are lumped in with the rest of the "spineless unions". I know you weren't directing it at me though. We take pride in hanging/bangin and raising steel as quick as possible to make our companies money. Thats the only way our Union will have a future... if we do a job better than the next guy. Every other Union is crumbling in NY right now. Loosing pensions/benefits ect. Local 40 Ironworkers are getting better pay/better benefits each year. BC we bust our ass, put our lives on the line every day, and MOST of us are worth every Penny.

Flacco is offline Member
    Local 40 Pride Baby! Discovery-Iron Men.avi - YouTube

Krb367 is offline Associate Member
    The cert I see most companies requiring is Rig Pass. Which is basically a lecture class that teaches you the day one, basic shit of "rigging." Then you've got shit like CPR and first aid certs, which I've never seen as a requirement but they wouldn't hurt to have.

But the majority of companies pay to put you through their required courses after you've been hired on. One course that comes to mind that no one is gonna let you out on to an offshore platform without is underwater survival. Which is a simulated helicopter crash, where you're strapped in a bird and dunked into a body water upside down. Then you have the objective of getting yourself out!

Flacco is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krb367 View Post
    The cert I see most companies requiring is Rig Pass. Which is basically a lecture class that teaches you the day one, basic shit of "rigging." Then you've got shit like CPR and first aid certs, which I've never seen as a requirement but they wouldn't hurt to have.

But the majority of companies pay to put you through their required courses after you've been hired on. One course that comes to mind that no one is gonna let you out on to an offshore platform without is underwater survival. Which is a simulated helicopter crash, where you're strapped in a bird and dunked into a body water upside down. Then you have the objective of getting yourself out!
    I've got rigging/CPR certs already I wonder if they'd carry over from the US.

Yeah, my brother was telling me that Underwater survival course is like 50K.

Probably more realistic to start out on land somewhere in Oz, US, or Canada, huh?

I've got rigging/CPR certs already I wonder if they'd carry over from the US.

Yeah, my brother was telling me that Underwater survival course is like 50K.

Probably more realistic to start out on land somewhere in Oz, US, or Canada, huh?

Mate getting a job in the mines in aus is easy all you have to do is move to a mining town and walk into the recruitment office. If your a foreigner you need a working visa!!!!

Flacco is offline Member
    Mate getting a job in the mines in aus is easy all you have to do is move to a mining town and walk into the recruitment office. If your a foreigner you need a working visa!!!!
    Is it that easy? Another guy here in Thailand told me that. He said I'd have to move to a mining town and network for a little, but I was watching videos about how Aussies are having trouble getting work themselves because all the foreigners are taking the jobs.

The guy told me that there's no point applying on the internet. Would you guys really recommend just going there and hitting a recruiting office? I'd hate to make a whole trip and spend the money just to get turned down. So, I'd obviously need a visa... any other certs I need or would be beneficial to have prehand?

Euro, you work in the Mines or Oil/Gas Rigs?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm really trying to stay over on this side of the world

Thread Information