Thread: Ak or sks

noon is offline Senior Member

Question Ak or sks

Big gun guy here. Have always been int hand guns and shooting steel in competition. Recently guys I hang out with are picking up ar 15's Ak 47's and sks's . Any one have any input. ? I will be shooting steel plates at 100 & 150 yards

Red Bastard is offline Member
    In Canada, AK's are prohibited, and AR's are restricted (extra licence, and can only shoot at a range). Even though I hold a restricted licence, I love to shoot in the bush, so I'm partial to my non restricted Russian SKS. Got ahold of 200 rounds super rare 7.62x39 tracers, so I can't wait for summer fire season to end!

jimmy726 is offline Associate Member
    Ak IMO is over hyped I do like sks though.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    The .30 caliber 762X39 cant hold a candle to the accuracy of the 5.56. That being said, the 7.62X39 is a "man stopper" compared to the smaller, high velocity 5.56.

As far as rifle platforms, they are both great for different reasons. The Kalashnikov AK is as reliable of an assault rifle as you can ask for yet the AR platform is light weight and offers a lot of interchangeable options.

It comes down to application but overall IMO the AR is far superior especially if you don't mind spending the extra scratch for a piston driven rifle vs gas driven.

ac guy is offline Associate Member
    If you're shooting steel comps, go with an AR, or get a second mortgage and buy a SCAR. AK's are cool but not what I would bring to a comp.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i've owned an sks.. i now own ar.. good times
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Thread Information