• 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte
  • 1 Post By Hazard

Thread: Anyone Donate Bone Marrow?

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member

Anyone Donate Bone Marrow?

I turned 35 last month and I guess I have been reflecting on my life a bit. Obviously there are some things I would do differently as everyone would but overall I am pretty happy with my choices in life and the direction its heading.

The one thing the stands out to me is that I have never really done anything for anyone but my family, friends and myself. I am polite to people. Hold the door open for strangers all the time. I am ethical in my line of work. I try to do the right thing most of the time.

However I have never really did anything for someone in real need. I am giving blood next week but thats really nothing. Well I know its helpful but its not like bone marrow. Has anyone ever donated bone marrow and give any insight on this?

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    I turned 35 last month and I guess I have been reflecting on my life a bit. Obviously there are some things I would do differently as everyone would but overall I am pretty happy with my choices in life and the direction its heading.

The one thing the stands out to me is that I have never really done anything for anyone but my family, friends and myself. I am polite to people. Hold the door open for strangers all the time. I am ethical in my line of work. I try to do the right thing most of the time.

However I have never really did anything for someone in real need. I am giving blood next week but thats really nothing. Well I know its helpful but its not like bone marrow. Has anyone ever donated bone marrow and give any insight on this?
    I am sorry I can't be of help but I've never dis fed bone marrow. I know someone who has and can ask some questions but I'm sure you'll get answers in here before I can get back to this thread lol. I just wanted to personally commend you for this line of thinking. We aren't necessarily defined by our last but also by what we plan for the future. I've donated lots of blood, am an organ donor, and have volunteered my time to numerous things. You could potentially help save lives with your simple donation here! I too would like some info on this now as I'm interested in possibly doing it myself. Great topic!

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post

Rwy, donating blood really is something. If it wasn't for people doing what you called "really nothing," I wouldn't be alive today and there are a lot of people that also wouldn't be around if not for that. So don't write the good things you've done off. It's simple little things that make heroes out of men.

As far as marrow goes, I heard it's totally outpatient and just hurts like a bruise afterwards.
    Red Bastard likes this.

Rwy
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Rwy, donating blood really is something. If it wasn't for people doing what you called "really nothing," I wouldn't be alive today and there are a lot of people that also wouldn't be around if not for that. So don't write the good things you've done off. It's simple little things that make heroes out of men.

As far as marrow goes, I heard it's totally outpatient and just hurts like a bruise afterwards.
    You are right I should not down play it. It is effortless to give blood but why haven't I done it before?

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I put myself on the BM list about 8 years ago during a drive to help a local boy who needed a BM transplant. About a year ago I got a call that I was a match for someone in the mid-west who was in dire need. I was psyched! Then some medical questions were asked over the phone. I had suffered from DVTs and Pulmonary Emboli after an ankle surgery two years before and this automatically disqualified me. Apparently, there's a chance of DVT/PE after the Bone Marrow extraction procedure so they disqualify anyone who's had it prior. This seemed ridiculous, so I argued that I would sign a legal waiver if needed. They still wouldn’t take me & removed me from the donator list. What a let-down that was...

Rwy
    That must hve been tough API. What is DVT/PE

ac guy is offline Associate Member
    Deep vein thrombosis, and it can kill you. I've been on the list for BM for 15 years. Got called once that I was a match, but I never got to donate. As far as blood goes, I give what they call here "power red". You can only donate every 4 months, but it's more useful than a standard donation. Look into it. It isn't any more of a hassle than a whole blood donation.

skaz915 is offline Member
    This might come off the wrong way but unless they are paying me I'm not donating anything. yea I've heard the arguement, maybe one day I'll need blood, a heart etc... But thats just not how I am. I'm also not donating organs once I pass, it sounds selfish but I don't knock people who want to donate their organs its just not my thing.
    Euroholic likes this.

Red Bastard is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skaz915 View Post
    This might come off the wrong way but unless they are paying me I'm not donating anything. yea I've heard the arguement, maybe one day I'll need blood, a heart etc... But thats just not how I am. I'm also not donating organs once I pass, it sounds selfish but I don't knock people who want to donate their organs its just not my thing.
    Until you, or a loved one, needs it. Then you will be thankful that some people ain't so selfish...

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Agree.... I did 4 years in the army with 2 overseas deployments thats enough donating for me.

What good are your organs to you once you die though? It has nothing to do with being selfish, it's just a juvenile mentality that you have there. Those organs you have might be able to help somebody else stay alive and by not donating them, you're just going to let those same organs just die and rot away. Hell, in a way by donating, you get to have a little life after death.

And as far as the blood goes, it's not a big deal to make a donation. It takes little effort and some places even pay you for it.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Blood is something I must start doing myself as it is a great thing to do and it also benefits yourself so a double win

What good are your organs to you once you die though? It has nothing to do with being selfish, it's just a juvenile mentality that you have there. Those organs you have might be able to help somebody else stay alive and by not donating them, you're just going to let those same organs just die and rot away. Hell, in a way by donating, you get to have a little life after death.

And as far as the blood goes, it's not a big deal to make a donation. It takes little effort and some places even pay you for it.
    Some people feel that with out there organs there not "whole"
    skaz915 likes this.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Nope. I've given the bone but not the marrow.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Some people feel that with out there organs there not "whole"
    They're not there anymore so it doesn't matter if they're "whole" or not.
    Red Bastard likes this.

They're not there anymore so it doesn't matter if they're "whole" or not.
    Same could be said about ones Family. If your dead who cares what happens to them or to anyone for that matter. People are different mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Same could be said about ones Family. If your dead who cares what happens to them or to anyone for that matter. People are different mate.
    Either they rot away until there is nothing but a skeleton left, or they can let part of them live on and keep somebody else alive.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    bone marrow, like other organs in the body, will trigger an auto immune reaction if not a close match like a relative. I'm sure there are suppressors to prevent rejection. I would donate marrow to a family member in need.

I donate blood all the time.

Docd187123 is offline Banned

Some religions and beliefs disfavor donation of blood, marrow, and other things. Not everyone is juvenile bc they don't want to donate. I donate blood often and am considering hopping on the bone marrow donation list myself but it's a personal decision we all make. You cannot assume someone is childish bc they want to keep organs or bone marrow. There are many other ways for people to make a difference. Donating your time and money can be just as big of a help for starters.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Donating is a personal thing and its every persons right to choose. It's a very noble thing to do IMO but I won't get on someone's case for not donating.

I've got the rare blood type that lets me skip the whole line lol so they love me there :-)
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    I used to donate blood a few times a year, and then I moved to a country where not a lot of people have my blood type, and the only people who can use my blood are ones with the same type. And I am always at least slightly anemic, so it seems silly to donate and then possibly have it not used to help someone. In the UK you can go to a website and see the current levels, etc. and they currently only have 1398 units of my blood type banked in the whole country, but it's expected to last almost 11 days' worth of need, whereas they have over 17k units of O blood, which is expected to last 8 days.

I'm surprised there isn't a good artificial blood substitute by now.

skaz915 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    I've never thought of that, I'm sure there is a reason its not being made. That is a genius idea though

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    I used to donate blood a few times a year, and then I moved to a country where not a lot of people have my blood type, and the only people who can use my blood are ones with the same type. And I am always at least slightly anemic, so it seems silly to donate and then possibly have it not used to help someone. In the UK you can go to a website and see the current levels, etc. and they currently only have 1398 units of my blood type banked in the whole country, but it's expected to last almost 11 days' worth of need, whereas they have over 17k units of O blood, which is expected to last 8 days.

No, but an army of donors full of anadrol and EPO would be a good start
    thisAngelBites likes this.

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

thisAngelBites likes this.

- Knockout_Power

Stickman123 is offline Junior Member
    I commend you for considering this. Please do it and share your experience here.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have a friend who needs a bone marrow transplant. It's really expensive from what I understand especially where she is from (Philippines) and without it she needs frequent blood filtering.

I cannot donate blood or marrow. I decided to jump on the blood donation band wagon back in 1990. 3 weeks after donating blood the 1st time I ended up with Hepatitis B. Damn near killed me literally. I remember commenting to the guy next to me; isnt the attendant supposed to be changing his gloves in-between patients?

Thread Information