Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How to tell and old man to go away!

DPTUK is offline Banned

How to tell and old man to go away!

There is this old guy in the gym, in his late sixties who is now seriously beginning to bug me and he just won't shut the F up and ends up wasting half an hour of my time each day!

Every time I see him I try to avoid him but there is no escape from this man.

I am even seriously thinking of changing gyms because of him.

Every day it's the same old routine.

He sneek's up behind me when he thinks I can't see him and air balls a left jab, right cross and low leg kick combination (that I stupidly taught him) in a joky way like a boxer trying not to fall over and then he begins the laborious same old conversation, again and again and again! :

Old guy: "heyyyyyy, the champ is here".....

Me: (with oh sh-t look on my face) "uhhhhh yeah man thanks....

Old guy: "what we training today champ?

Me: (me with please F off look on my face) "uhhhh, arms"....

Old guy: ...starts feeling my arms "yes I can see that, I need to work on my arms too" ...hmmmm

....he proceeds to follow me around and copy everything I do and ask 20 questions and get in my way and starts winking at me in between sets!

I have told him hundreds of times, gym time is for working out and talk time is after.

He doesn't get the hint. I think he is senile.

I can't exactly be rude to him and tell him to F off cos he is an old man and I just don't have it in me to do that but also am sick of trying to sneak around to avoid him!

Last week I ended up doing cardio instead of weights because I figured once he leaves I can go train. It's gotten ridiculous!

Solutions please!
    Last edited by DPTUK; 11-15-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Don't answer back

Wear headphones

Wear cap with peak pulled down low
    evander87 and Cuz like this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Don't be a dick. Do you know the guy outside of the gym? Maybe you remind him of his son who died or maybe he has no one left in his life. Maybe think about someone else.
    bass likes this.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member

DPTUK likes this.

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    It sucks cause obviously, it's annoying as hell to you, understandably. But on the other hand, like Lunk said, this guy is probably a lonely old man. Maybe he feels he's found a friend in you and tells people that he's going to the gym to workout with his buddy. Shit, for all we know, it could be the one thing he has in his life that he looks forward to.

You could put up with it and continue to feel uncomfortable or you could tell him off and possibly break his heart.

That's why I'm anti-social. I keep my headphones in and don't make too much eye contact. Plus it helps that I'm just about fully covered in tattoos. Sorry brother, I got nothing.
    DPTUK likes this.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    That's me you ignorant sod

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Lmfao
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Is he one of those weirdos who seems to always be at the gym?
    If not, just start going at a different time.

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    I thought is was me. Must be a different gym. Unless he is in Afghanistan, then it is TR.

skindiesel is offline Associate Member
    just walk away. again.again.again. and again. he will get the hint,

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skindiesel
    just walk away. again.again.again. and again. he will get the hint,
    http://youtu.be/7ttKJwvFIgw

skindiesel is offline Associate Member
    yes like the five finger death punch song to "walk away" or play it for him

DPTUK is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Don't be a dick. Do you know the guy outside of the gym? Maybe you remind him of his son who died or maybe he has no one left in his life. Maybe think about someone else.
    Dude you have no idea how nice I have been to this guy. He told me his wife passed away a few years back so I have been super sensitive. I have spent several hours after my workouts personally training him for free, I have written him a diet plan. I have listened to endless stories of how he used to be great boxer in his youth with patience and grace. But seriously enough is enough! I have no problem talking with him AFTER my workouts but I have the right to workout in peace. I cannot be spending 10 minutes each time between my sets doing this, its ridiculous!

DPTUK is offline Banned
    Haha I wish brother, judging by the size of your arms if it was you id be the one bugging the hell out of you!

DPTUK is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Don't answer back

Wear headphones

Wear cap with peak pulled down low
    I do that already, he actually taps me on the shoulders to take my headphones offs! Its a pain getting them beat's by Dre on an off especially if you're having a bad hair day!

Then you need to politely explain to him. It's all part of his learning, just politely explain the benefits of intensity to him.
    DPTUK likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

capetown is offline Senior Member
    There are some things that you just have to live with and adjust too. One is your mother-inlaw and second is the old guy in the gym that just dont get it. He is old, you dont think he has been called on this type of behaviour by now. It is what it is. He isnt going to change so you have too. Lol . Or you can be a major dick but then you will not want to see him at the gym after that either.
    Maybe hit on him. He will stay clear from you after that I bet. Baaahaaa. Sorry. Guess my point is that old men and mother- inlaws dont change. EVER!!!!!
    DPTUK likes this.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    I have an old guy like that at my gym (maybe not as annoying) but he likes to talk and shoot the sh*t. I actually love this guy. I threw up the 115 a few times a couple weeks ago and he walked up to me and said, 'what you did right there, was very mediocre'.. haha.. I almost lost it laughing so hard..

My advice is to continue your workout no matter what, at your pace, and don't stop. You don't have to be rude, but this guy obviously thinks a great deal of you or he wouldn't be so friendly. Let him talk, you train.
    DPTUK likes this.

DPTUK is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    I have an old guy like that at my gym (maybe not as annoying) but he likes to talk and shoot the sh*t. I actually love this guy. I threw up the 115 a few times a couple weeks ago and he walked up to me and said, 'what you did right there, was very mediocre'.. haha.. I almost lost it laughing so hard..

My advice is to continue your workout no matter what, at your pace, and don't stop. You don't have to be rude, but this guy obviously thinks a great deal of you or he wouldn't be so friendly. Let him talk, you train.
    haha awesome!

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Dont allow anyone else to control your life. Just tell him straight. "Mate im here to train ill talk to you when im done"

You will eventualy explode if you keep ***** footing around the issue
    EasyDoesIt and DPTUK like this.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    We have an old guy (70's)in our gym that will hang around until some of us are done working out so he can talk and joke around with "the guys".I always thought it was kinda weird until he told me one time that he looks forward to it everyday because all of his other friends are grumpy old men.
    DPTUK likes this.

EverettCD is offline Member
    What you have done for this "old man" will be paid back to you X1000 one day. It may be tomorrow or 50 years from now, the world is round. Continue to be patient with the man. If you do politely explain to him that you would like to not be interrupted while you're lifting I would be sure to continue to talk to him when he's there before or after you get done lifting. More than likely you make this mans day just by talking to him for a few minutes.
    DPTUK and Flagg like this.

The Dirty South is offline New Member
    I know its frustrating buddy. But like the above said, he clearly thinks a lot of you and probably is very lonely. You being his friend means a lot to him I'm sure. Should you tell him you are about to train but will come holler at him when your done? Absolutely! I use to be a trainer at a local gym. This old man named bob came in every day. But every Saturday morning we would have coffee and just talk. He played football for ole miss, was in Nam, just an overall bad ass dude. You can learn so much wisdom from the elderly, you just have to be patient and listen. Not saying your not doing that buddy but just a suggestion to anyone! But anyway, after about a year of doing that, he left one Saturday morning after having coffee and had a massive heart attack and passed away. Still miss that man! I apologize for the long post!

-Dirty South
    DPTUK likes this.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    With the feeling your arms and winking in between sets and telling you his wife passed away sounds like he wants to do a little more than just train with you.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Tell Austine it's time for him to go home

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Just say this - "I don't want to come off as being rude but I only have ** minutes to work out today so I really don't have the time to visit or talk"

Honestly, I never interact with anyone at the gym when I went. I hate people that want to socialize there. Home gym - no worries about annoying people.

DB1982 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    With the feeling your arms and winking in between sets and telling you his wife passed away sounds like he wants to do a little more than just train with you.
    I was thinking the samething. Sounds suspect to me.

I put my headphones on and on Max. Hat backwards n head down. Nobody ever talks to me. Unless I make eye contact

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Ive been training at 0430 shes always empty at that hour

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Just ask the old guy like every day to introduce you to his daughter (or granddaughter if she's old enough). Either he'll stop talking to you or you'll get to bang his daughter. Either way you win.
    BG likes this.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Loooool!!!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    The old guy sounds lonely.

Find a lady his age and bring her at the same time. Problem solved.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong
    Just ask the old guy like every day to introduce you to his daughter (or granddaughter if she's old enough). Either he'll stop talking to you or you'll get to bang his daughter. Either way you win.
    Love this answer lol
    DPTUK likes this.
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    If your serious about getting him to stop annoying you at the gym, just tell him you are GAY! Works like a charm...

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    If your serious about getting him to stop annoying you at the gym, just tell him you are GAY! Works like a charm...
    That advice may backfire

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Yeah, but if he turns out to be gay too then you're fvcked.

DPTUK is offline Banned
    ^ Please.....no one is telling anyone anything about being gay, I have a rep to protect : )
    Euroholic likes this.

DPTUK is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    The old guy sounds lonely.

Find a lady his age and bring her at the same time. Problem solved.
    Wait so let me get this straight you want me to hook Abe up with a chick his own age, cos I ain't got a whole lot of experience meeting and talking to 70 years old.

DPTUK is offline Banned
    Right I have devised a strategy to finally get rid of this problem:

1) Every time Abe comes to bug me I will explain to him that he really needs to do "lots and lots" of cardio at his age because it is very important for his heart. I will then rush him over to the cross trainer and tell him not to come of it for at least 45 minutes and if he is done to go over and do another 15 minutes on the rower before he comes back to talk to me. If that doesn't work then....
    2) I will explain to Abe that the fountain of youth lies in life extention and HRT therapy. I will explain to him he needs to pin a minimum of 4 grams of test week, 35 IU's of GH, Slin, Clen , DNP and preferably all at the same time and before he does this that he should put me as a beneficiary to his life insurance policy!

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    We have a winner !!

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I had to tell someone to leave us alone the other day. He would come up and talk to my partner after he went and I was getting ready. Stand there and wait until he was done with his set and start talking again.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information