FRDave is offline Senior Member

What is my wifi logon domain?

I am hooking my desktop back up and when clicking on my wifi network, it's asking for a user name (have), password (have), and logon domain (never had nor ever been asked connecting via phone or laptop)...

What am I missing here?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hmmm should I write it all out or just copy paste the link.

Router asking for username, password and logon domain

That was actually the first link I googled and tried with no success lol.

I think I figured out the issue though... My routers security is WPA2-PSK and my wireless adapter is over 13 years old and supports WEP only lol. I ordered a new adapter on amazon tonight and should have it in two days with Prime, so we shall see.

Thanks though. The help is appreciated.

Yeah probably. I had that issue a few years back and I just set my router to Wep (should be able to dumb it down) until I got a new adapter.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    13 years old? Time to upgrade in a major way.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Yeah probably. I had that issue a few years back and I just set my router to Wep (should be able to dumb it down) until I got a new adapter.
    I didn't know you could change the router. Oh wells, the adapter was cheap and the security is suppose to be superior to WEP from what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTahl
    13 years old? Time to upgrade in a major way.
    Right. I was like 19 when I got that wireless card. It probably doesn't even support the speed my router is capable of lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    I didn't know you could change the router. Oh wells, the adapter was cheap and the security is suppose to be superior to WEP from what I read.

Right. I was like 19 when I got that wireless card. It probably doesn't even support the speed my router is capable of lol.
    Oh yes it is superior, much higher encryption but it works in a pinch getting it up and working and not really a big deal unless you really think someone is maliciously trying to break into your router. Most people/neighbors will just see the lock and move on.

Make sure your guest network connection is either turned off or also password encrypted or people can easily get in that way and a lot of them are not.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Make sure your guest network connection is either turned off or also password encrypted or people can easily get in that way and a lot of them are not.
    This is something I would have had to manually setup, so it's turned off be default, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    This is something I would have had to manually setup, so it's turned off be default, correct?
    Nope, I have seen several that are turned on by default, set to open for guest with no password. They just dont have admin privileges but it means anyone can use your connection for surfing the web who is in range.

Alright, so the computer is up and running now with the new wireless adapter. How do I go about seting up the guest network connection and/or any other features to make sure all is secure? I tried typing my IP address in a new browser window, but it just takes me to google vs a router prompt login.

Ok, im in... now what all settings do I change to make sure I am secure? I have the following tabs: Basic setup / WAN setup / Lan setup / Wireless setup / Utilities. Under each of these tabs, I have a page of options I can modify... I'm lost here.

Just do the basic setup and if it works leave it at that until someone you know can look at it. As long as you have a password to log in you should be good.

Thread Information