Thread: Acidic Reflux.

Roger11 is offline Member

Acidic Reflux.

Ok so long story short, a few months ago i had the sensation of something stuck in my throat, turns out it was a sign of GERD, acidic reflux, i was cruising at the time on 250mg of test per week, split into 2 jabs, Mon/thursday. of 125mg each. Anyway It would come and go until it got so servere i started feeling like i was chocking. Went to an ENT specalist, put the camera down my thorat and the area was red and confirmed it was acidic reflux.

I was prescribe pantoprazole. 40mg tablets, told to take 1 per day. As soon as i started taking them BAM it was gone, worked a treat i was very happy! .

Anyway a few weeks ago i started my cycle it consists of 250mg test, 1gram of deca , 750mg eq. Few days went past and was all good but LATELY my acidic reflux has come back and the pantoprazole isnt doing anything for it! Im sure its the anabolics causing it because it was fine before my cycle!. Now ive tried taking up to 3 tablets per day and still nothing! Anyone have any advice to offer about this? Im currently talking to muscleink about it but i havent seen him around for a few days. Who btw has been of a very great help to me and i highly recommend him. Appreciate it!.

I just hate swallowing and having the feeling of a swollen right side of my throat/ stuff stuck in there!.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    The problem with GERD meds like Omeprazol and the one you are using is that rebound reflux occurs and often worse. It's recommended to taper off of the drug. Ink is spending some time with family and has been traveling for work but Im sure he will be around soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    The problem with GERD meds like Omeprazol and the one you are using is that rebound reflux occurs and often worse. It's recommended to taper off of the drug. Ink is spending some time with family and has been traveling for work but Im sure he will be around soon
    Good to hear he is well tho and shall be around soon!

Oh great man lol, my ENT doc told me to take 1 per day and give it 3 months to see any improvement, nothing about tapering off or anything. Fuksake.

Not sure how i can taper off unless i split the tabs in half as there 40mg tabs. God damn its so uncomfy having GERD i ****in hate it. Almost tempted to go back to TRT if it is the anabolics causing it. But with what your saying it may seem like its the actual drug itself! Ive been on it everyday for almost 1 month!

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger11 View Post
    Good to hear he is well tho and shall be around soon!

Oh great man lol, my ENT doc told me to take 1 per day and give it 3 months to see any improvement, nothing about tapering off or anything. Fuksake.

Not sure how i can taper off unless i split the tabs in half as there 40mg tabs. God damn its so uncomfy having GERD i ****in hate it. Almost tempted to go back to TRT if it is the anabolics causing it. But with what your saying it may seem like its the actual drug itself! Ive been on it everyday for almost 1 month!
    Double your dose. 1 I the am one at night. 45 minutes before food...and don't call me in the morning

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try drinking a little apple cider vinegar. I had acid reflux for a while and tried most of the OTC and several RX meds including Omeprazol but none of it helped. I used apple cider vinegar and also took pro biotics for a while and it went away. I think I still have about 300+ Omeprazol.

optionsdude is offline Member
    I take pantoprazole (protonix) as well and have for years. I would not double dose as Lunk recommended. Not trying to bag on ya Lunk but there have been some studies that show these types of proton inhibitors can cause bone loss,primarily long term. I had a dexa scan recently and all is good and tried to ween myself off of protonix by taking every other day, and using pepcid AC tablets 2x per day on the days off of protonix. Didn't work reflux came back. Protonix 1x per day usually works for me but if I'm going to eat pizza after 5pm I have to take a pepcid AC about 2 hours before bedtime. Try this first Roger before doubling your protonix dose they're cheap at costco for the kirkland brand. I used to wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air,also had 4 ulcers that dr thinks was from NSAID abuse. Most recent endoscope showed ulcers mostly healed.

I almost forgot, one thing that always cured it at least for the short term right away is a little backing soda mixed in some water or juice.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    P r i l o s e c

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    P r i l o s e c
    Is that the same as pantraprazole?

Well i took 3 yesterday fellas and i think i spoke to early. A few hrs later it seemed to clear my throat up a bit.

Ive only taken 1 so far today.

whats the dif between prilosec and pantraprazole?

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I almost forgot, one thing that always cured it at least for the short term right away is a little backing soda mixed in some water or juice.
    An olde but a goody.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    P r i l o s e c
    Works for me.

I did remember one OTC that worked for me also, Safeway brand acid controller Famotidine 10 mg

I tried all OTC ones here in australia and they did jack shit.

whats the dif between prilosec and pantraprazole?

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Keep taking the protonix for 3 or 4 weeks, do not stop taking just because your symptoms are gone today, it takes a little while for the ulcer to heal. Take on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before eating.

optionsdude is offline Member
    As LB mentioned famotidine (pepcid AC) is a good one to add if the pantoprazole doesn't work good enough. Prilosec is OTC now I think. I'd stick with the pantoprozole and add 10 gm famotidine later in the day it's cheaper than prilosec. As joebailey mentioned empty stomach 30 min before meal,same with the famotidine

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I pray that I only have reflux/gerd. I've got some of the same symptoms as you, but since the prescription Prilosec (80mg/ed) didn't work, I've convinced myself I have cancer. I've got my endoscopy scheduled for next Friday. Fingers crossed!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Pantoprazole and Omeprazole are two drugs coming under the drug class category of proton pump inhibitors. Proton pumps are situated in mitochondrial membranes, which mean they are in almost all cells. The importance of these drugs is that they selectively inhibit proton pumps in the stomach lining. The mechanism of action is to selectively inhibit H+/K+ ATPase enzyme in gastric parietal cells. In the sense of organic chemistry, both these drugs are benzimidazoles containing substituted benzene ring and imidazole ring.

Pantoprazole

Pantoprazole also known by the trade name Protonix is a proton pump inhibitor. Its empirical formula is C16H14F2N3NaO4 S x 1.5 H2O and has a molecular weight of 432.4. This drug is prescribed to treat complications related to excessive acid secretion in the stomach such as damage to esophagus and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. However, this drug cannot render immediate relief from heartburns. When taking the drug prescriptions should be followed accurately. The tablet should be taken 30 minutes before meals. The pill should be swallowed as a whole without chewing because it may damage the coating which is designed to protect the stomach. Granular suspension should be taken only with apple juice. Sometimes the granular suspension is delivered through nasogastric feeding tube. There are a number of harmful effects of the drug.

Animal studies have shown the chronic usage of Pantoprazole may cause stomach cancers although it is not confirmed with humans up to date. Tendency to increase bone fracture in hips, wrists, and spine is also found through clinical studies. Long term usage has shown to decrease the Vitamin B12 absorption and, therefore, cause B12 deficiency. Apart from all the harmful effects the drug also has various side effects associated. Uneven and fast heart rate, muscle weakness, diarrhea, coughing and choking, headache and troubles in memory are some of the serious side effects. In addition weight change, stomach pain, insomnia is also experienced.

Pantoprazole should not be taken if one is allergic to the drug. It should not be taken while under medication of other benzimidazole drugs. If a person is taking HIV AIDS medicine, ampicillin, blood thinner, water pills, iron tablets, diabetes medicine, it is important to seek medical advice before taking Pantoprazole.

Omeprazole

Omeprazole is also a proton pump inhibitor. It is also known by the trade names Prilosec and Zegerid. The empirical formula of omeprazole is C17H19N3O3S and has a molecular weight of 345.42. Omeprazole is also prescribed for complications related with excess acid secretion in the stomach. It is used to treat damaged esophagus and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Sometimes omeprazole is prescribed along with antibiotics to treat ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori infections.

Side effects, effects due to prolonged use and other medication which should be generally avoided are quite similar for the two drugs.

Pantoprazole vs Omeprazole

• Pantoprazole has a molecular weight of 432.4 and Omeprazole has a molecular weight of 345.42.

• The drugs are structurally different due to the various substituents and is indicated by Pantoprazole having empirical formula C16H14F2N3NaO4 S x 1.5 H2O and Omeprazole having the empirical formula

Read more: Difference Between Pantoprazole and Omeprazole: Pantoprazole vs Omeprazole: Protonix vs Prilosec

kcwebguy is offline Junior Member
    I take Omeprazole daily. It is very effective and fairly inexpensive. I get it on Amazon for about $15 for 42 days.

BIGB is offline Associate Member
    The best bet would be to figure out what is causing you symptoms and stop what you are doing. If that is not possible take your meds as prescribed and double the dose, one in the AM and one in the pm is fine. you can also look at a H2 inhibitor or a carbonate tab like tums or gaviscon in conjunction with your PPI. That should work and give it time to settle your acidity.

Thread Information