Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Ol' Roman's Come Back Crusade!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

25 Jun 2014 - 210 lbs

gym = rest day

results of yesterday's eating. had pizza last night at Mountain Mikes and had 5 slices. and a diet coke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	115 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	151562

Brewster is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    gym = rest day

results of yesterday's eating. had pizza last night at Mountain Mikes and had 5 slices. and a diet coke.

Views:	115 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	151562

Haha, this reminds me of when I used to work at mc. donalds when I was 15
    a fat girl came in and ordered:

"Ummmm, Hi I'll have a double big mac combo with super size fries and a coke. (She holds her breath) No wait, make that a diet coke. (she was satisfied) Thanks."

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    Haha, this reminds me of when I used to work at mc. donalds when I was 15
    a fat girl came in and ordered:

"Ummmm, Hi I'll have a double big mac combo with super size fries and a coke. (She holds her breath) No wait, make that a diet coke. (she was satisfied) Thanks."
    don't get cute mate. the calories I saved by the diet coke was enough for two extra slices of pizza! =)

26 Jun 2014 - Rare Macro Bullseye! (Still around 210 lbs)

Comment at the gym yesterday.

A younger guy, maybe 30(?) was saying something to me and all I heard was "fountain of youth". So I said "I'm sorry, but "What"?

He said did I find the fountain of youth?

(Here we go, a kid wanting to ask about steroids )

I just said, look mate, I've been doing this since I was 12, and now I'm 52. So I've been doing this for a little while. Then I mentioned all the weight I've lost. He's been hanging at the gym for a little over a year now. Told him about Afghanistan and I was down 50 lbs, so this is the lightest I've been in 20 years. So he comments he's gained over 20 pounds or so in the last year. (I think he was proud of this fact?) So I ask him was there a corresponding gain in BF%? Huh? How much of that was fat? Oh, quite a bit actually.

Well, mate, therein lies the rub, isn't it? How to gain weight, without the fat? (I feel the steroid question coming, so I try to steer away from it). HIs eyes kinda glassed over like a dead fish when I started on the importance of nutrition, blah blah blah....

....fvck, why do I bother?

Anyways, a great day in the gym:
    Bench – three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Pushups – slow to failure at 15 (visualize a board strapped to your ankles/waist/shoulders for perfect linearity)
    Flys – verticle - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Flys – front lifts, two sets to failure at 12/8 reps
    Straight Bar Pull down (Tris) - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5 –
    Rope pull downs, 2 sets to failure at 12/8 - at the bottom (and before) of the contraction, pull the rope handles apart and hold for a few seconds
    Military Press – seated - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Military press – seated at a 45% - two sets to failure at 12/8
    Shrugs – Dumbell - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Shrug machine (not sure what to call it) - two sets repping to failure at 12/8
    Reverse Curls – barbell – two sets to failure at 15/10 reps

and the eating:

Views:	96 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	151580

27 Jun 2014 - 210 lbs

Leg day at the gym, and yesterday's results in the kitchen:

Views:	70 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	151599

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Tearing it up TR! Nicely done. Keep up the hard work

thanks mate. I think this is the most focused I've been on my nutrition plan. Before, I'd set up a few days meal plan and then just kind of wing it. What I'm realizing now is that when I wing it, I usually end up not eating enough in the long run. Recording every bite forces me to deal with any shortages at the end of the day.

I may have lost a ton of weight since last year, and although I've only recovered about 15 of those pounds, this is the fastest I've ever recomped. I'm really not sure what I want to do next. I think I may be motivated to go 100 below TDEE next, as I'm just now beginning to see my abs and obliques.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Sounds like you are still making progress. Glad to see you are being consistent with your log.

Are you on HRT?

^yes sir! I am on HRT. Only 80mg test c per week.

Getting ready to hit the gym. I've completely filled the fuel tank, and this is where I am at, at a summary and detail level. (it takes a few hours for me to feed before I can hit the gym)

Name:	0.PNG 
Views:	102 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	151600

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	151601

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	151602

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	86 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	151603

On the third meal, the banana will be eaten moments before walking into the gym..........

Thought so. Keep it up TR, show dem youngin's how it's done!

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Meticulous, TR. Quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    Thought so. Keep it up TR, show dem youngin's how it's done!
    I don't think anyone really cares at the gym? I get some comments from time to time, but that's about it. I have noticed this one bloke, I suppose he's Italian, but I could be wrong. probably my age. shorter, probably weighs the same. Fugger can move some weight! on the leg press, he had 14 plates each side and was repping with it. True, he wasn't going all the way down, but.....
    ....I think he has a natural strength to him. His form is off, and he carries at least 22% body fat. And he looks to be in his 50's. But he moves weight like no one else there, at least in the lower body.

Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    Meticulous, TR. Quite impressive.
    Thanks. It's the accountant/analyst in me.

thanks mate. I think this is the most focused I've been on my nutrition plan. Before, I'd set up a few days meal plan and then just kind of wing it. What I'm realizing now is that when I wing it, I usually end up not eating enough in the long run. Recording every bite forces me to deal with any shortages at the end of the day.

I may have lost a ton of weight since last year, and although I've only recovered about 15 of those pounds, this is the fastest I've ever recomped. I'm really not sure what I want to do next. I think I may be motivated to go 100 below TDEE next, as I'm just now beginning to see my abs and obliques.
    I'm actually the opposite right now hahahaha. Before I was extremely meticulous and using MFP for everything that went I to my mouth (insert gay joke here). Currently I'm 'winging' it but to be honest, the meticulousness of the past has given me a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. I'm coming back from an injury and since I couldn't lift heavy for about 2 months I decided to reduce volume while trying to keep intensity as high as possible while not causing pain and went on a small cut.

You think muscle memory has a significant effect in helping your current recomp? I know whenever I come back from an injury or time off I notice the same thing.

If it were me I'd probably do just that and cut down enough to get your abs showing good before trying to add some more mass...if that's even your goal. The leaner you get the better your nutrient partitioning ratio becomes, the better your insulin sensitivity becomes, the better your leptin and ghrelin sensitivity become, etc. It will in effect prime you for what you do after.

Good luck sir!

I'll tell you what doc, all this eating is wearing me out. I'm still 50 grams of protein short for the day, and this is what I've eaten:

one pound liquid egg whites, scrambled
    12.5 oz can of chicken meat, Costco
    another 12.5 oz can of chicken meat, Costco
    10 ounces of BBQ tritip.

Soon, i'll be ordering up the egg white protein powder so I can put it in my shaker cup and down the hatch. if that makes me gaseous like someone suggested it does them, then all I have left to fill the cracks is liquid egg whites to drink straight.

this wasn't nearly the problem awhile ago it is now. a few months ago, whey protein isolate would fill in the cracks for me, but since my operation, I've increasingly become more lactose intolerant, until I can barely eat anything made from milk.

I'll tell you what doc, all this eating is wearing me out. I'm still 50 grams of protein short for the day, and this is what I've eaten:

one pound liquid egg whites, scrambled
    12.5 oz can of chicken meat, Costco
    another 12.5 oz can of chicken meat, Costco
    10 ounces of BBQ tritip.

Soon, i'll be ordering up the egg white protein powder so I can put it in my shaker cup and down the hatch. if that makes me gaseous like someone suggested it does them, then all I have left to fill the cracks is liquid egg whites to drink straight.

this wasn't nearly the problem awhile ago it is now. a few months ago, whey protein isolate would fill in the cracks for me, but since my operation, I've increasingly become more lactose intolerant, until I can barely eat anything made from milk.
    Have you tried subbing in some more calorie dense foods TR? That usually helps me. With the cycle I'm on now though my appetite is ravenous after 5pm for some reason. To give you an idea from the other night I had 5 whole eggs with pita bread, a bowl of cereal, 2 double hamburgers with French fries, a whole oint of ice cream, 2 high protein peanut butter sandwhich with a banana on Ezekiel bread, 3-8oz glasses of chocolate milk, 2 peaches and a nectarine. This was all from around 5pm to maybe midnight or so and I felt like I could still eat afterwards if I wanted to. Before 5pm it's like I can only manage maybe 1000cals. Before this cycle I was like you, it was a chore to get in my ~3500cals lol. Now that's just a snack for me at night.

Not sure of the price but have you looked into beef protein pwoder?

I've switched from whole eggs to egg whites.
    I've also switched a percentage of the meat I do eat over to canned chicken from Costco. somehow, they get the fat out, so more or less pure protein.

I'm not going to eat the food I've been avoiding all this time.

I have considered scrambling my egg whites with olive oil.

and I have not checked out beef protein powder. I'm assuming expensive, right? whey protein is already over $10/lb for the isolate, so I'm assuming the beef protein is multiples more expensive?

ok. maybe it's not as expensive as I thought. 33 bucks for 30 servings at 24 grams of protein per serving.

Thanks for the tip doc. I'll consider if the egg protein powder doesn't work out

Views:	84 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	151618

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    Just picked up 5x10lb bags of my favorite protein that was discontinued, Myofusion Probiotic.

Got each bag for just under $74

Comes out to about $0.64 per scoop, or 2.66 cents per gram of protein.

If you want to pick one up PM me ill send you a link.

They're out of Vanilla but they have chocolate and strawberry.

Grandeur is offline Junior Member
    How you going Kid? You making any solid progress? Hang in there.

28 Jun 2014

Yesterdays results in the kitchen

Views:	89 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	151630

Yesterdays routines in the gym:
    Seated Rows - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Overhead pull downs – wide bar – one set to failure repping at 15
    Hammer Strength Overhead pull downs - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    One arm rows – seated - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Back Flies - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Curls – Seated – One arm – 15 slow reps in the hammer position, 10/5 reps in the palm up position
    Curls – two arm – one set to failure at 15 slow reps
    Weighted Crunchies – Verticle Seated – three sets to failure all at 15 reps. One in the standard position and two in the oblique position – slow!
    Reverse Situps – face down – 15 reps to failure

29 Jun 2014 - 208 lbs

I didn't want to report any weight change until what I saw on the scale lasted for a few days. Looks like I'm down 2lbs. This isn't bad news, as I was attempting to eat at TDEE and recomp, which is coming along nicely. I was a little short on the protein yesterday, and a little over on the calories as you can see:

Views:	91 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	151661

but on average for almost the last six weeks, my protein intake is above the requirement and my calories are only just a bit over as you can see here:

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	151662

30 Jun 2014 - 208 lbs

bf% very slowly dropping. I'm thinking by early autumn I should be able to see my abs. That's the plan anyways.

Yesterdays eating:

Views:	58 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	151673

and yesterday's routines:

Bench – three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Pushups – slow to failure at 15 (visualize a board strapped to your ankles/waist/shoulders for perfect linearity)
    Flys – verticle - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Flys – front lifts - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Striaight bar pull downs – tris – one set to failure at 15 reps
    Rope Pull Down (Tris) - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5 – at the bottom (and before) of the contraction, pull the rope handles apart and hold for a few seconds
    Military Press – seated - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Shrugs – Dumbell - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Reverse Curls – barbell – one set to failure at 15 reps

donated blood yesterday after gym. bloke pulled the needle out too quick and ended up tearing my vein slightly. cut is about 1/4 inch and bled pretty good for about a minute or so.

today is leg day, and i'll probably go easy since I don't want to cramp up. This one i'll just have to play by ear.

1 Jul 2014 - 206 lbs.

more weight loss. this one is probably a fluke, but i'll report anyways.

light day in the gym due to blood donation day before and small indication of some knee pain (yes, it was leg day).

Eating was off too. Running around doing errands with my daughter, and I just needed to eat. Felt the blood sugar dropping, hunger pangs, getting irritable, so had a classic chicken sandwich at Sonic. Then I ate more crap later that night. Which is why 1,000 cals above tdee yesterday.

The temptation to eat dirty with it's promise of quick and easy calories.........................!

Here are the results:

Views:	81 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	151686

(but even if eating dirty, getting all the protein is still a chore.................)

2 Jul 2014

This is a first for me. At the gym, and I was noticing some lady, 40ish, well preserved. I was doing my routines, and noticing how tan she was. I move over to the next work station, and I'm noticing how tight her abs were. I move over to the next work station, and again I'm noticing her. Then I'm noticing I'm doing the wrong routines for some other day, not today. So I'm sitting there smiling to myself, and realizing how distracted I was noticing her. Fawk! So I recover as much of my day as I can and end it.

Yesterday's nutritional efforts:

Views:	120 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	151705

RegularBro is offline New Member
    Great read! Picking up some tips for my first journal
    Keep up the good work

3 Jul 2014 - 205 lbs

I'm a little surprised at the weight loss. The BF is coming down, that's a good thing. But I must be eating at slightly below TDEE. Like I mentioned previously, the formula is a good starting point, but needs to be tweaked. Actually, I think I will continue to let it ride.

Rest day from the gym yesterday.

and yesterdays results in the kitchen

Views:	129 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	151724

4 Jul 2014 - 208 lbs

Yesterday's results in the kitchen:

Views:	91 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	151725

Good day in the gym. More people there than expected, considering a holiday......

5 Jul 2014 - 207 lbs

Leg day at the gym, knees starting to bitch a little, back on the MSM.

Results from the kitchen:

Views:	132 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	151735

Ten Day Average

I'm calculating total calories, etc. from inception, but wanted to see what was going on for the last ten days. My target grams of protein is 298, and I'm only consuming 286, leaving me about 12 grams of protein short on average, per day, for the last ten days. Although calories appears to be running a bit high, at 3177, I'm still dropping a pound or two, so I may adjust my activity level to reflect this. These formulas always need a bit of help, and tweaking is something you need to do.

I'll probably start doing some cardio in August, to help with some stubborn fat, but so far, it seems I'm on track.

Views:	74 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	151736

6 Jul 2014 - 205 lbs

I'll be adjusting my activity level factor, increasing my tdee from 3000 to 3100. That probably isn't enough, but it will suffice for now.

Yesterday's gym activity was good, and here are the results from the kitchen:

Views:	86 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	151751

7 Jul 2014 - 207 lbs

Rest day yesterday, and results from the kitchen:

Views:	140 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	151774

and yesterdays macros, meal by meal:

Name:	1.PNG 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	151775

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	70 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	151776

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	78 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	151777

Name:	4.PNG 
Views:	79 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	151778

Name:	5.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	151779

Name:	6.PNG 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	151780

Name:	7.PNG 
Views:	77 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	151781

8 Jul 2014

Still more progress in the gym. I've rebounded quickly, considering it was barely three months ago I came home broken and the lightest I've been in over 20 years.

Yesterday's results in the kitchen:

Views:	101 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	151801

Nice to see ya still progressing TR

Just curious, what supplements are you taking daily. (Vitamins/etc....)

supplements?

over the years, I've taken almost all of 'em...
    ....and realized most don't do shit.

so now, just a multi, creatine, recently added zinc, psyllium husk fiber, and recently added msm, and I use egg white protein powder to cover my macros at the end of the day, to fill in the "cracks"

supplements, when all added together, can be a significant portion of your "body building budget". So now I take the money I don't spend on all the BS supplements and put it towards food.

as you know Cajun, quality food is expensive...........
    .......and I'm not talking that BS "organic" crap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    supplements? over the years, I've taken almost all of 'em... ....and realized most don't do shit. so now, just a multi, creatine, recently added zinc, psyllium husk fiber, and recently added msm, and I use egg white protein powder to cover my macros at the end of the day, to fill in the "cracks" supplements, when all added together, can be a significant portion of your "body building budget". So now I take the money I don't spend on all the BS supplements and put it towards food. as you know Cajun, quality food is expensive........... .......and I'm not talking that BS "organic" crap either.
    Yes, quality food is expensive. I try to go hunting and fishing as much as possible to stock my freezer. If I wasn't in such a small apartment, I would have a huge freezer!

9 Jul 2014

Leg day

and yesterdays kitchen results

Views:	75 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	151832

10 Jul 2014 - 208 lbs

took a break from the gym yesterday

and yesterday's results from the kitchen - apparently, I was hungry yesterday!

Views:	141 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	151837

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information