Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Strongest man in the last 50 years.............

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Strongest man in the last 50 years.............

So who do you think?

And don't be a smart ass and go looking it up. Just off the top of your head, who do you think the strongest man on the planet was in the last 50 years?

I don't know the answer either, just interested in hearing what you think

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    In what definition TR? Bb'er, powerlifter etc

raw strength, able to pick shit up off the ground. not necessarily weight lifting

DCI
    Ahh cool, farmers every farmer I have ever met are literally the most ridiculously naturally strong fckers lol.

But in seriousness, I suppose puginoffski (terribly spelt his name) the chap from poland who won all those WSM titles.

Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    Ahh cool, farmers every farmer I have ever met are literally the most ridiculously naturally strong fckers lol.

But in seriousness, I suppose puginoffski (terribly spelt his name) the chap from poland who won all those WSM titles.
    how big is he?

and in his niche how we classify strength, I suppose he would be a contender.

Trevtrev is offline Associate Member
    What about Franco columbu. Not sure that's spelled right, but I seem to remember him doing strong man stuff.

DCI
    https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&s...vz60z0#facrc=_

Theres a load of pics of him.

For bb'ers imo ronnie and yates have alot of the modern guys beat on pure strength, wolf is up there too imo

https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&s...vz60z0#facrc=_

Theres a load of pics of him.

For bb'ers imo ronnie and yates have alot of the modern guys beat on pure strength, wolf is up there too imo
    I agree that all these blokes are tremendously strong. the reason I am not overly impressed is that if they left the gym for a long period of time, their strength would take a significant hit.

There are blokes out there with tremendous natural strength.......................

DCI
    Def I get where you are coming from.

It's a very hard quantity to define imo. Friend of mine is a mechanic useless steength in the gym but has no problem lifting or holding gearboxes all day long or lifting short blocks in cars too. So I suppose its all what you are used to maybe or just have to do?

I'm going to tell a little story I heard, and see if you can figure out who I'm talking about.

Mr X walks into a bar and is drinking. A few blokes (I think there were four of them) in the bar see this guy and start flaming him about how much of a dumb ass he is, how stupid he looks and what not. Now, Mr. X is actually quite the gentleman once you get to know him, and not wanting to cause a scene, he quietly goes outside the bar, finds their car, and easily flips it upside down.

need another clue?

he could drink easily drink 3 cases of beer?

he could pick up a 200lb man with one arm?

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Andre the Giant? Basing this guess of the beer tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Andre the Giant? Basing this guess of the beer tip.
    yes.

the eighth wonder of the world.

someone once commented that he shook hands with Andre, and his fingers were like bananas

when he drove a car, he ripped out the front seat and drive from the back seat.

he could swat hulk Hogan like a fly and not a gawd damd thing Hogan could do about it.

when I was a kid growing up, Andre was the baddest man on the planet, no questions asked.

he could crush a mans skull in the palm of his hand if he were so inclined.

There will never be another like him

and I don't think he worked out a day in his life. Why would he? When it came to raw power, he really had very little limits

and for you in the younger generation....
    ....read em and weep!

André the Giant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DCI likes this.

this pic was towards the end of his life, and yes, he was terribly out of shape by then. he was living in constant pain when this pic was taken

DCI
    Only ever heard ref's to him reading the wiki link now

DCI
    He was a farm laborer, my previous post was correct lol.

Love reading the part where he throw arnie onto a car for paying that would have been brilliant to see

He was a farm laborer, my previous post was correct lol.

Love reading the part where he throw arnie onto a car for paying that would have been brilliant to see
    arnie was a puny shrimp compared to Andre

yeah, a big fan. the man was larger than life, very humble, very much the gentleman.

he actually had a problem with women so I heard. no problem getting them. but then what?

DCI
    I've a friend whos 6ft 10, hes massive so I can only imagine ehat 7ft 4 would be.

Seems by all ac's a genuine person without the "diva " you get today with famous people being scripted for their whole lives

I've a friend whos 6ft 10, hes massive so I can only imagine ehat 7ft 4 would be.

Seems by all ac's a genuine person without the "diva " you get today with famous people being scripted for their whole lives
    I think he published his weight somewhere at 500 lbs. but most that knew him said it was probably closer to 700 pounds.

His kindness was what allowed Hulk Hogan to gain the stature he had. If you remember, Hulk had to body slam him. In an interview years later, Hulk admitted that he barely got him off the ground. And Andre had to remain absolutely still. And then he only got him half way up. You have to remember that at the time , Andre was in agonizing pain, and was crippled up, and really needed to retire. Barely a shadow of his former self (what you see in the picture). And out of friendship, he allowed Hulk to do what he did. There was zero percent resistance by Andre. Had there been the slightest amount of resistance, he would have squashed Hulk like a bug.......

look at the size differential in the skulls alone. now consider the differences in bone density.....

DCI
    700lbs is one of those numbers that is hard to wrap your head around when it comes to a human being.

He made Hulks career then so by the sounds of it. To give him that slam etc therefore implying ge is not the biggest bad ass on the WWF scene was a very big selfless act

700lbs is one of those numbers that is hard to wrap your head around when it comes to a human being.

He made Hulks career then so by the sounds of it. To give him that slam etc therefore implying ge is not the biggest bad ass on the WWF scene was a very big selfless act
    I watched an interview of Hulk one time. he talked for a long time about Andre. Hulk was very clear that he was no where close to being in Andre's league, and it was extremely difficult to beat Andre, even when Andre was 100% submissive.

Yes. The flame of biggest and baddest passed to Hulk in this match. Andre needed to retire, and died not too long after. If Andre wasn't the gentleman, and friends with Hulk, he could have easily thrown him out of the ring like a rag doll, then died with no heir to the throne.
    DCI likes this.

Its funny, when I was a kid watching wrestling around that time (1987), Andre was intimidating to watch. But when I've gone back and relived those moments, I've noticed just how hard it was for Andre to even stand up. He used the ropes to hold himself up during a match. Its really sad to see, especially when you compare it to his matches 10 years earlier. He was pretty agile and moved well.

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Andre was before my time. But the big show was my favorite growing up. So I imagine I would have appreciated andre as well.

I always dreamed to be 7' tall and 300+lbs. I stopped a foot short and 120lbs light

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Its funny, when I was a kid watching wrestling around that time (1987), Andre was intimidating to watch. But when I've gone back and relived those moments, I've noticed just how hard it was for Andre to even stand up. He used the ropes to hold himself up during a match. Its really sad to see, especially when you compare it to his matches 10 years earlier. He was pretty agile and moved well.
    well, to be blunt, by the time he wrestled Hulk, he was on his last legs. He had been in serious pain for over ten years...........

Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post
    Andre was before my time. But the big show was my favorite growing up. So I imagine I would have appreciated andre as well.

I always dreamed to be 7' tall and 300+lbs. I stopped a foot short and 120lbs light
    sounds like you missed by "that much"

DCI likes this.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Andre is in one of my favorite movies, Princess Bride.
    Yeah yeah it's sort of a chick flick but it works when you hook up with a new chick as making you look like a romantic. lol

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I can only narrow it down to a few...Riku Kiri, Magnus Samuelsson, Zydrunas Savickas, of course Paul Anderson, and Mike Jenkins (R.I.P.). Looking to the future....Brian Shaw, Mike Burke, Hafthor Bjornsson, and Eddie Hall.

Lots of guys give the "Strongman" competitors a hard time...I have maximum respect for them. Some of the conditioning drills they regularly go through preparing for competition are absolute torture.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-17-2014 at 03:40 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Not trying to sidetrack your thread, TR, but for a blast from the past, pull up a YouTube video of Samuelsson armwresting Nathan Jones. I swear I can feel the arm break just by watching.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

....and after reading the entire thread, I see I entirely missed the topic of discussion, TR....my apologies . I've seen a couple of shows about Andre the Giant. I can only attempt to imagine the pain he endured...

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Andre is in one of my favorite movies, Princess Bride.
    Yeah yeah it's sort of a chick flick but it works when you hook up with a new chick as making you look like a romantic. lol
    I love the Princess Bride. Great movie.

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Grandeur is offline Junior Member
    Andre could actually press 500lbs indefinitely (25-30+)

He tipped a car over when drunks tried to fight him, he lifted large men over his head with one arm, probably the strongest human to ever exists based purely on his immense size.

Check out the Andre The Giant, Larger Than Life doc on youtube

Thread Information