Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET

any plumbers here? need help.

Flushed a roll of tape , was actually 3m automotive tape accidentally down the toilet. Now its hard to flush and needs plunged each time. Any way of dissolving this or fishing it out? I don't know how exactly to go about it. Thanks

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Got to Home Depot and buy a toilet snake. You my get it out or clear it.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    now we have to ask, what were you playing with tape around the toilet for?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Pull it out. It wont dissolve. Try a coat hanger first. Flush several times and reach in and try to pull it out. Its stuck in the curved part im sure.

If that doesnt work just pull the toilet off. Its not that hard and should take under 1st from start to finish not counting the time to pick up a new wax ring.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Ok yeah I was trying to avoid pulling thr toilet but I may have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Ok yeah I was trying to avoid pulling thr toilet but I may have to.
    Try the coat hanger 1st. It wont be far. It's not down the main pipe, it's stuck in the curved part of the toilet 99%

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I may not be a plumber.........
    .....but I've been told many times I lay some pipe pretty good! =)

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Take the toilet off. But you will need to go to a hard ware store and get a new seal for the toilet. There are two bolts total, one on each side, that come off. They might have a cap on them so you cant see them. Take off the toilet and you will be able to get what you need out of there. Its not that hard and not that gross. After you get your "tape" out of the toilet you need to clean up that wax seal off the floor. Then put the new way seal you got at the store and bolt it back on. Simple.

If you need to watch a DYI then go to youtube. I am sure there are a lot of people that have posted it.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Try the coat hanger 1st. It wont be far. It's not down the main pipe, it's stuck in the curved part of the toilet 99%
    Most definitely try this and a snake first. I'm sure pulling the toilet out is easy for some, but I would screw that up, for sure. Hopefully, you can hook it with the hanger. Good luck.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Its two nuts that have you to remove and then the toilet just lifts off. Its easier than changing a care tire and much easier that trying to replace the inside of a toilet. DONT SNAKE IT. They way a toilet is set up, in a U type pattern you could just push it further down and into the pipe. Trust me its really simple to take a toilet off and put it back on. The way seal is just messy.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Don't take my advice. I'm a teacher, not a plumber
    Listen to those who know what they're talking about.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Ok I tried hanging. Gonna have to take it off. Is a new wax ring absolutley necessary? I've taken apart and installed toilets before..no big deal. Just cleanin up the mess water and such is a drag. ...alright well shit. Probably a two hour job by the time I get it drained and wax ring back on. Wish me luck...and thanks for the advice men!

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes, a new ring is necessary. Cut the water off to the toilet, flush it a couple times to get the most of the water out and I typically just set the toilet over in the tub to drain the remaining water. BE SURE not to over tighten the bolts when you re-install the toilet or you'll end up at home depot buying a new one. Good luck bro!

Quote Originally Posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post
    Yes, a new ring is necessary. Cut the water off to the toilet, flush it a couple times to get the most of the water out and I typically just set the toilet over in the tub to drain the remaining water. BE SURE not to over tighten the bolts when you re-install the toilet or you'll end up at home depot buying a new one. Good luck bro!
    ^^^^^ the new ring is about $5 Do you really want to chance a leak because you did not change it and have to do it all over again?

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    If you have a shop vac handy, it will help out. After you kill the supply water and flush the tape infested toilet, use the vacuum to grab any remaining water.

...^^^^x2 on over tightening the nuts.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information