Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bonaparte
  • 1 Post By MuscleInk
  • 1 Post By MuscleInk

Thread: Diabetes...

Roger11 is offline Member

Diabetes...

OK, so i want to continue bulking and getting bigger, as i love how big i am now at 5,11 110kg i get plenty of looks so i can only imagine how id look at 115-120kg, but my problem is, im scared of developing diabetes. My diet has been shit the last few months and ive been eating rubbish food/takeout aswell as i got hooked on redbulls drinking between 1-3 a day, have stopped the past few weeks and now have 1 once or so a week. Or if im out.

Anyway about 8 weeks ago i had bloods done and on a scale of 3-7 or something, my fasting glucose was sitting around 5, my 2 prior tests done months apart showed them around 3 then a bit higher, seems it has risen.

Now i know diabetes is also linked to high weight, and 110kg isnt exactly light lol. My questions i guess are, how can i avoid it, and i dont know to much about diabetes, but dont carbs get broken down into sugars aswell? Like to avoid diabetes should i be watching my carb intake? When i bulked from 100-107kg i was eating a good 600grams carbs a day, but carbs from pot/sweet pot/ jasmine rice/ oats etc. Or should i really just be watching my sugar intake? From sweets/ energy drinks etc.?

Anyone here with diabetes?

DAAS is offline Senior Member
    You wont develop diabetes unless you're messing around with insulin or have a strong history of it. Even with a history there is no saying that steroid use or high carb diet will turn you diabetic. Youre at higher risk for type 2 if you have high body fat, but working out in general makes your muscles burn glucose and your body needs less insulin. If you're concerned with your blood sugars buy some diabetic support vitamins to help your body process sugars.
    whats your bf?

been type 1 for 6 years.
    Last edited by DAAS; 06-23-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    A fasted BGL of 5 mmol/L is equivalent to 90 mg/dL (what the US uses). This should be under 99 when fasted. So you're a bit on the high side, but you're still fine. Just keep an eye on that, as it directly gauges your insulin resistance, and thus your progression into type II diabetes.

I'd be more worried about cardiovascular disease from shitty lipids, arterial inflammation from an excess of Omega 6 (found mostly in fried/processed foods), and hypertension at this point.
    almostgone and MuscleInk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    A fasted BGL of 5 mmol/L is equivalent to 90 mg/dL (what the US uses). This should be under 99 when fasted. So you're a bit on the high side, but you're still fine. Just keep an eye on that, as it directly gauges your insulin resistance, and thus your progression into type II diabetes.

I'd be more worried about cardiovascular disease from shitty lipids, arterial inflammation from an excess of Omega 6 (found mostly in fried/processed foods), and hypertension at this point.

Thanks DAAS, Bonaparte, will a high carb diet increase the risk of developing diabetes? Or should i just stay away from as much sugar as i can, like lollies/ energy drinks etc? And will it be fine to stick to my ususal bodybuilding foods of chicken, potatoes, steak, rice etc etc.

Also what happens after i develope diabetes if my glucose sugar leves or whatever on the test, gets to high?

What exactly does insulin resistance mean?

My bodyfat, well im offseason atm, so quite high id say, maybe over 16% or so.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member

Spot on as usual Bonepart. I'd be far more concerned with hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia and other cardiac risk factors with higher bf and a poor diet.

Roger - shame shame. No excuse for a bad diet when running gear. You know better.
    DCI likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Spot on as usual Bonepart. I'd be far more concerned with hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia and other cardiac risk factors with higher bf and a poor diet.

Roger - shame shame. No excuse for a bad diet when running gear. You know better.

I know mate, im not really on a diet, i should be packing my my meals and stuff but im not doing that, for some reason i just cant get the motivation to eat as much food as i need/pack my meals, i feel so much better when im not doing any of that stuff. I just get turned off from eating, but ey, excuses excuses.

Ok so what do you guys suggest i do to get the levels of the blood glucose or whatever down? Really dont wanna become diabetic? ATM i dont really wanna drop weight as i want to get a little bigger before i do a big cut, but if gaining more weight is going to tip me over the edge then fark idk, thats serious. Btw, say my glucose tips over the range of 7, and i then start cutting and drop 20kg, what are the chances of my blood glucose returning to range?

Would i be able to continue bulking if i cleaned up my diet, started eating steak/salad/potatoes, chicken, rice and vegies.

Is jasmine rice ok? Or should i switch it out for plain brown rice. And are white potatoes ok, or do i need to cut them out for sweet potatoes. Do i need to now start watching my GI content? Or really now just focus on sugar contents and cut all sugar out.

Whats the difference between carbs and sugars when it comes to playing around with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger11 View Post
    I know mate, im not really on a diet, i should be packing my my meals and stuff but im not doing that, for some reason i just cant get the motivation to eat as much food as i need/pack my meals, i feel so much better when im not doing any of that stuff. I just get turned off from eating, but ey, excuses excuses.

Ok so what do you guys suggest i do to get the levels of the blood glucose or whatever down? Really dont wanna become diabetic? ATM i dont really wanna drop weight as i want to get a little bigger before i do a big cut, but if gaining more weight is going to tip me over the edge then fark idk, thats serious. Btw, say my glucose tips over the range of 7, and i then start cutting and drop 20kg, what are the chances of my blood glucose returning to range?
    You're in a risk category with your weight, but as stated above, my priorities would be your lipids and cardiac health. You'd be surprised how much bigger you will look when you drop some body fat and your muscle definition becomes more obvious. It seems counter intuitive but when you lower your body fat and your vascularity and definition improves, the results are superior to bulking incorrectly and bloating.

I know its hard to cut especially when it feels like you are shrinking and some of your strength is lost but I'd try to get your bf down a bit before blowing up too much. Remember, this is a long term process. Many guys will run a few cycles each year over many many years before seeing the benefits of their hard work. Keep at it and give yourself time. Bring the bf lower and bulk again would be my preference.

Do you have a glucometer at home you can check your BG with occasionally?
    DCI likes this.

You're in a risk category with your weight, but as stated above, my priorities would be your lipids and cardiac health. You'd be surprised how much bigger you will look when you drop some body fat and your muscle definition becomes more obvious. It seems counter intuitive but when you lower your body fat and your vascularity and definition improves, the results are superior to bulking incorrectly and bloating.

I know its hard to cut especially when it feels like you are shrinking and some of your strength is lost but I'd try to get your bf down a bit before blowing up too much. Remember, this is a long term process. Many guys will run a few cycles each year over many many years before seeing the benefits of their hard work. Keep at it and give yourself time. Bring the bf lower and bulk again would be my preference.

Do you have a glucometer at home you can check your BG with occasionally?
    Yeh your right mate, i only wanted to bulk for a little bit longer, but im scared of running into health risks, already get quite lerthagic thruoghout the day, gym im out of breath after diong exercises. Im one of the biggest in my gym so its motivating to get bigger. haha.

What is a glucometer mate? Does that test for the same thing as the blood test i get at the docs does?

Hey muscleink, u know what, im going to go to the chemist now and buy one. Do you think they require a prescription her in australia?

Yeh your right mate, i only wanted to bulk for a little bit longer, but im scared of running into health risks, already get quite lerthagic thruoghout the day, gym im out of breath after diong exercises. Im one of the biggest in my gym so its motivating to get bigger. haha.

What is a glucometer mate? Does that test for the same thing as the blood test i get at the docs does?
    Yes, a glucometer is a home test for blood glucose. It's the device that you "prick" your finger with a lancet (needle), place a drop of blood on a test strip and insert the test strip into the glucometer device. The device is generally inexpensive; the test strips are costly, but its a decent way to monitor glucose if there is a concern. It's generally best to test your blood with a fasted sample (first thing in the morning when you awake, before any food/drink is consumed).

Yes, a glucometer is a home test for blood glucose. It's the device that you "prick" your finger with a lancet (needle), place a drop of blood on a test strip and insert the test strip into the glucometer device. The device is generally inexpensive; the test strips are costly, but its a decent way to monitor glucose if there is a concern. It's generally best to test your blood with a fasted sample (first thing in the morning when you awake, before any food/drink is consumed).

SO should i get the 2nd link mate?
    Accu-Chek Mobile Blood Glucose Meter Kit - Chemist Warehouse

Most are quite good and accurate (although not as good as the more comprehensive analysis by a certified lab). In the past, I recommended the Bayer glucometers to patients for ease of use. The newer Breeze2 is the one I keep at home for random tests.

I wouldn't expect you would need a prescription but I'm not sure of the regulations in Australia. In the US, glucometers are considered medical devices and are regulated by the FDA but do not require prescriptions.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    you avoid diabetes the same way you control it if you have it..

good diet and exercise

was diagnosed type 2 at 13yo

thanks for all the help guys, trying to work out the glucometer. Last question i have, does it matter how much carbs i eat? Or should i be more concerned with sugar?

sugar vs carbs?

ok, muscleink and the others. Just bought one, did the test.

The machine read 5mmol.

This ok? i did eat chicken and some rice bout half hr before hand so it wasnt fasted. But was to excited to wait till morning haha.

You don't have diabetes, and you are no closer to developing it than most people. But in general, avoid sugar. Complex carbs are fine, since they don't cause a sudden insulin release.

You don't have diabetes, and you are no closer to developing it than most people. But in general, avoid sugar. Complex carbs are fine, since they don't cause a sudden insulin release.
    This. Keep simple sugars to a minimum.

OH thanks a lot fellas, thats a big relief.

How acurate are these machines compared to an actual blood test though? Seems acurate, but just curious..

OH thanks a lot fellas, thats a big relief.

How acurate are these machines compared to an actual blood test though? Seems acurate, but just curious..
    Their accuracy varies a bit, but generally the more expensive the unit and strips, the better it works. When I use a cheap glucometer at work, I just take 3 readings and average them.
    They should read a tiny bit higher than a blood draw test, as they measure capillary BGL vs venous BGL.

Their accuracy varies a bit, but generally the more expensive the unit and strips, the better it works. When I use a cheap glucometer at work, I just take 3 readings and average them.
    They should read a tiny bit higher than a blood draw test, as they measure capillary BGL vs venous BGL.
    lol man, what the hell does that mean? haha. Wish i studied medicene.

Btw, what do you, and muscleink, are the best ways to avoid diabetes while bulking?

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Diabetis is generally listed as type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is Pancreas issue from birth. Type 2 can be cause from many things...and it is actually a natural state of the body as long as the pancreas is still working.

The most common reference we see in nature for diabetis is the bear and hibernation. A bear is "diabetic" after packing on the fat and we all know how hibernation works. Fat slowly used to allow passing of time during a time when food is not available. It is a natural state of the body as long as the pancreas is working normally.

The issues occur when we try to do normal activities when the body is set up for "hibernation". You see the elevated lipids causing issues, higher BP causing problems, etc etc. Most of this comes from fat storage "blunting" the effects of insulin . Drop the fat and the body returns to normal function. LBM is a minor factor in the consideration of diabetes.

Why humans have so many long term issues with diabetis is they never allow the body to cycle back to normal. They maintain "hibernation" state and the pancreas "wears out" lessening production of insulin over time.

There are two times to test bloodsugar. When you awake in the morning which is your Fasting Blood Sugar and 2 hours after meals. The 2 hour after meals measurement is the primary method to check..resting blood sugar is primarily indicative of A1C level where after meals is indicative of insulin response.

It is good to note the things to counter diabetis are the same to counter cholesterol. Brown vs white grains and vegtables vs grains for carbs.

lol man, what the hell does that mean? haha. Wish i studied medicene.

Btw, what do you, and muscleink, are the best ways to avoid diabetes while bulking?
    Blood glucose levels in capillaries vs veins.
    Just avoid sugar and other fast-acting carbs as much as possible. Fortunately, anabolic steroids actually increase insulin sensitivity (the opposite process of type II diabetes).
    Again, just keep an eye on that fasted BGL and you'll be fine.

Thread Information