Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zempey
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong

Thread: Best place to buy a TV?

  1. #1
    musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,093

    Best place to buy a TV?

    Ok, so I'm in the market to buy a new TV. I've looked into places such as Best Buy and Nebraska Furniture Mart, along with other electronic outlets. They're all so expensive! I'm looking for a good quality TV that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on. Somewhere in the 54"-60" range, with an excellent picture and audio. I was walking through Walmart a few weeks ago with a coworker (I hate Walmart btw), and I noticed I can grab a TV that meets the size specs for about HALF the price as anywhere else I can find it! I can't recall the exact brand I saw there, but if I remember right, it was a pretty well known brand. Are Walmart TV's the same quality as other places you'll find the same brand?

    Also, what specs should I be looking for when looking for a TV with top sound and video quality? I haven't bought a TV in ages, and I'm needing a little guidance here. I wouldn't really say I have a budget; I just want the best TV for my buck without having to sell one of my organs, along with information on what store to get the best deal.

    Thanks, fellas!

  2. #2
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,390
    It boils down to who has the best sale or supply. Wal-Mart shoukd be as good as any other as ling as you compare apples to apples. Brand and model number. One model number different can be a lot of difference between the two tv's.

    There are places online who do free shipping and have better prices sometimes. Check Amazon and Costco or Sam's.

  3. #3
    musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    It boils down to who has the best sale or supply. Wal-Mart shoukd be as good as any other as ling as you compare apples to apples. Brand and model number. One model number different can be a lot of difference between the two tv's.

    There are places online who do free shipping and have better prices sometimes. Check Amazon and Costco or Sam's.
    Thanks, Lovbyts. Going to check now. As far as resolution goes, what should I be looking for for good quality (pixels?)?

  4. #4
    Shol'va's Avatar
    Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A Rock And A Hard Place
    Posts
    8,925
    You just missed out on some great sales in ferguson missouri. They had them by the basket loads selling up and down the streets. you could have got them for a steal...

  5. #5
    DOSA is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    275
    black friday I bought 4 50 inch from walmart for 218 each.

    granted its not the best of the best but dammit man, for around the house and patio they are great.

  6. #6
    APIs's Avatar
    APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Avoiding newbies @ gym...
    Posts
    1,322
    IMO stay away from Sony, their quality has dropped in recent years. Had to do 3 exchanges on my last tv due to problems. I've heard Samsung is making the best product these days quality & dollar wise.

    Costco has some good deals now & then if you look...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    dont ask for a source thx
    Posts
    8,912
    Blog Entries
    3
    I just bought a sharp 70' aquos q series tv for $1400 at best buy a few weeks ago I thought that was a good price for such a great tv...best buy had the best prices where I am from...

  8. #8
    Shol'va's Avatar
    Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A Rock And A Hard Place
    Posts
    8,925
    I bought a Samsun 47 inch smart tv from Sams Club a few months back for my bedroom. it has been great so far and with the built in wireless connnections and apps out the ying yang it was an easy set up for places like Netflix and such. and youtube does great not to mention even reading our forum in bed. The Samsung has good reviews for it. A little pricey but they are the new Sony I believe as far as Sony used to be the best now it's Samsung

  9. #9
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    I would beware of Walmart and Costco. Manufacturers make specific electronics for those Giants that lack features, hence the lower price. Many times the model number is even the same as others.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  10. #10
    Shol'va's Avatar
    Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A Rock And A Hard Place
    Posts
    8,925
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    I would beware of Walmart and Costco. Manufacturers make specific electronics for those Giants that lack features, hence the lower price. Many times the model number is even the same as others.
    You do have a point as I bought a Toshiba 65 inch for my living room last year at Walmart during the black friday ordeal. Each store had only 3 to sell and I camped out for hours in order to be on the list of 3. they were selling at 900 dollars American which was a great price then on a 65 inch Toshiba. But as you pointed out and this is the catch, these Toshibas were specifically made for the Walmart Black Friday sales. and they were stripped of most normal options that normally come with TV's this size. Very few inputs and outputs on the side and back of this tv. One input each for HDMI one input for component and one input for 75 ohm. so if you have a lot of things to hook to your tv you have to go to places like Radio shack and buy special boxes that allow you to multiply your inputs and outputs. The remote controls were cheap as well offering very few adjustments. but for the tv itself it has been a very good set. But seriously lacking in plugin and adjustment goodies. So there is something to be said about paying more for a better equipped tv. If you are just looking to hookup your blue ray to your tv then this tv type would suit one fine. But if you have a lot of hookups like a vcr, and dvd and tivo and a bunch of other electronics then go for the better equipped tv's. IMO

  11. #11
    zempey's Avatar
    zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontaio, Canada
    Posts
    2,055
    Sam's club has some wicked deals on tvs, I can't believe how the prices have come down in the last couple years.
    almostgone likes this.

  12. #12
    Zodiac82's Avatar
    Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    Hhgreg....or bestbuy...ull have to dig and compare for the "best" deal...meanin u might find a 40 In...off brand tv for 200..bit a 40 in brand name..or higher quality for 225...just depends on if u only care for lower price or not

  13. #13
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,390
    Surprisingly there are some good deals on 70" 4k tv for under $1500 if you shop and they do have a great picture even though there is not all that much released in 4k format yet.

    Keep in mind that you will need a dvd player that is 4k compatible and upconverts to 4k. Dont cheap out on the dvd player because that cam make a lot of difference in pictures quality. Not all blue ray players are created equally.

  14. #14
    Zodiac82's Avatar
    Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Surprisingly there are some good deals on 70" 4k tv for under $1500 if you shop and they do have a great picture even though there is not all that much released in 4k format yet.

    Keep in mind that you will need a dvd player that is 4k compatible and upconverts to 4k. Dont cheap out on the dvd player because that cam make a lot of difference in pictures quality. Not all blue ray players are created equally.
    It's crazy how prices on tvs has dropped over the last 4 yrs or so...I remember I bought 50 in plasma...750 bucks...now u can get lcd 50 in..for 400 or less

  15. #15
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    I was at the consumer electronics show in Vegas recently and the 4K curved TV's were niiiiiiiiice

    But for me, I just can't justify the price of new TV's. I'd rather wait.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  16. #16
    derekkpapa1's Avatar
    derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast usa
    Posts
    4,651
    I got a friend Louie the wrench who knows a guy Freddie four fingers who knows a guy that has a truck load of tv's and blue ray players I can call if you like???
    Forget about it

    sorry I just watch good fellas

  17. #17
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,379
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    I was at the consumer electronics show in Vegas recently and the 4K curved TV's were niiiiiiiiice

    But for me, I just can't justify the price of new TV's. I'd rather wait.
    The 4k TVs are kind of more of a gimmick than anything else (kind of like the 3d tvs). The view isn't THAT much better off to the sides. And the downside is you can't get as large of one as you can with a flat tv.

    Now whatever TV you decide on, I suggest getting one with a refresh-rate of at least 120hz, but shoot for 240. You'll definitely notice the difference (since almost everything is at most 1080p 60hz, it will upscale the video received to handle it)

    Also, I would go to best buy and get that 5 year protection plan AND pay for them to deliver/install it. It's worth it.
    lovbyts likes this.

  18. #18
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,390
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    I was at the consumer electronics show in Vegas recently and the 4K curved TV's were niiiiiiiiice

    But for me, I just can't justify the price of new TV's. I'd rather wait.
    Dont fall for the curve fad, it wont last long just like the opposite curve didnt. The best viewing is sitting dead center so anyone else does not have as good of a picture. Stick with flat and I agree, with any new or emerging technology it's always best to wait because it's only going to get better and cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    The 4k TVs are kind of more of a gimmick than anything else (kind of like the 3d tvs). The view isn't THAT much better off to the sides. And the downside is you can't get as large of one as you can with a flat tv.

    Now whatever TV you decide on, I suggest getting one with a refresh-rate of at least 120hz, but shoot for 240. You'll definitely notice the difference (since almost everything is at most 1080p 60hz, it will upscale the video received to handle it)

    Also, I would go to best buy and get that 5 year protection plan AND pay for them to deliver/install it. It's worth it.
    I think you are getting a little confused between 4K and curved. They make standard high def tv's that are also curved and yes 4K tv that are curved.

    A standard high definition TV is 1080 by 1920 lines of resolution. The new 4K TV's are 2160 by 3840 lines of resolution, basically double the resolution.

    Again you need a good quality 4K dvd player to take full advantage of the picture quality though and movies in DVD format.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 01-17-2015 at 01:18 AM.

  19. #19
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,379
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Dont fall for the curve fad, it wont last long just like the opposite curve didnt. The best viewing is sitting dead center so anyone else does not have as good of a picture. Stick with flat and I agree, with any new or emerging technology it's always best to wait because it's only going to get better and cheaper.



    I think you are getting a little confused between 4K and curved. They make standard high def tv's that are also curved and yes 4K tv that are curved.

    A standard high definition TV is 1080 by 1920 lines of resolution. The new 4K TV's are 2160 by 3840 lines of resolution, basically double the resolution.

    Again you need a good quality 4K dvd player to take full advantage of the picture quality though and movies in DVD format.
    Yeah I meant curved tv when I said 4k. Give me a break, I was dosing off.
    lovbyts likes this.

  20. #20
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,017
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    Sam's club has some wicked deals on tvs, I can't believe how the prices have come down in the last couple years.
    Yes and they keep placing the [email protected] things so it makes it almost impossible to ignore them. They are really nice looking but I still have a 13 year old flat screen projection TV and a really old CRT in one of the bedrooms. Don't plan on replacing either one until they shoot the crapper or I donkey punch one of them into failure.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  21. #21
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Yeah I meant curved tv when I said 4k. Give me a break, I was dosing off.
    You, what about me? I worked last weekend, then I spent the last 5 days on jury duty and had to come into work last night after a full day doing jury duty because someone was sick.

    Yes of course we found him guilty on most of the charges. It took some convincing but I got everyone to agree with me. hehehehe

  22. #22
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,379
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    You, what about me? I worked last weekend, then I spent the last 5 days on jury duty and had to come into work last night after a full day doing jury duty because someone was sick.

    Yes of course we found him guilty on most of the charges. It took some convincing but I got everyone to agree with me. hehehehe
    Was he guilty of owning an Asian massage parlor that did a little more than HJs?

  23. #23
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Was he guilty of owning an Asian massage parlor that did a little more than HJs?
    No, I'm sure we could have worked out some type of plea bargain if that was the case.

    No he was guilty of being an idiot and his attorney wasnt much better. Basic thug who was bored, didnt want to be there or care what was going on and literally falling asleep during part of the proceedings. I didnt let that sway me to find him guilty on other things but he sure didnt get any sympathy for me.

    I had to keep reminding people that we cant find him Not guilty or guilty because of sympathy or how be feel but based on the law (not what we think the law should be) and the evidence.

    It really was an educational and fun/interesting experience. I know most people dread being on a jury but I'm glad I got to do it and really I think it's a pretty good system. You would have to have a group of 12 tards to not have some good deliberation.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •