Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By Docd187123

Thread: Do fat cells shrink or actually dissapear/exctrete?

Roger11 is offline Member

Do fat cells shrink or actually dissapear/exctrete?

So getting into a debate and im stating fat cells never dissapear they only shrink so when you lose weight they shrink etc etc. Other person states they excrete thru way of urine etc etc. I pulled up 2 articles proving me correct but one article stating otherwise.

Where Does Your Fat Go When You Lose Weight? | IFLScience

Whos right? Anyone got scientific recent studies to prove me.
    Cheers

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    I didn't open the link (haven't had enough coffee yet lol), but I also believe that they just shrink. How else can so many people lose weight, then gain it all back...sometimes even more that what they started with?? Create NEW fat cells? I doubt it. Either way, it will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No there has been studies done and you can not create more fat cells so that's whey lipo really seems to work good for some people.

Lovbyts, I believe he is asking if you can EXCRETE fat cells (as in, get rid of them), as opposed to shrinking them...although I believe the same logic in your post still applies.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack
    Lovbyts, I believe he is asking if you can EXCRETE fat cells (as in, get rid of them), as opposed to shrinking them...although I believe the same logic in your post still applies.
    they just shrink or deplete

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    They sneak away at night...

Only cool people will get this picture...

skaz915 is offline Member
    No scientific knowledge here but what I've come to adopt as the truth was that we always have the same amount of fat cells they just shrink/ expand

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe there are only 2 stages of life that we create new fat cells, somewhere around birth (not sure exactly, can't remember) and puberty. Even liposuction is futile if you don't keep bf down, what cells are left will just expand even more. My wife had lipo in her abdomin and hips years ago, she gained a bunch of weight back and eventually those spots where just as big as pre lipo.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    You can make new fat cells at almost any point in life but it's almost impossible to get rid of them once created. You can only efficiently shrink them at that point.
    tcw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    You can make new fat cells at almost any point in life but it's almost impossible to get rid of them once created. You can only efficiently shrink them at that point.
    How are new fat cells created? Say, for people in their 30s, well out of the puberty stage?

Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    How are new fat cells created? Say, for people in their 30s, well out of the puberty stage?
    When your current fat cells reach their maximum size they create new ones. Preadipocytes mature into adipocytes when they receive a certain signal
    musclestack likes this.

Motardpdx is offline Associate Member
    Hi, you get your fat cells from genetics and keep them for life. You can flatten or shrink fat cells when weight loss occurs. So, diet and exercise will decrease the size of fat cells, but will not eliminate them.
    Last edited by Motardpdx; 02-10-2015 at 03:07 PM.

The bigger question is if you have tons of fat cells because you were extremely obese (50% bf) then got to 8%bf, will you look the same as someone who was never over 15% bf and got down to 8%?(assume same height, muscle mass and amount of skin for both people)

Quote Originally Posted by Motardpdx View Post
    Hi, you get your fat cells at conception and genetics keeps them for life. So, you can flatten or shrink fat cells when weight loss occurs. Diet and exercise will decrease the size of fat cells, but will not eliminate them.
    Conception is when a sperm fertilizes an egg. You don't get your fat cells at conception.

Motardpdx is offline Associate Member
    ^^^ Ok...ok, not exactly at conception but more or less is set during early childhood and adolescence.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    I was told they Do Multiply. Apparently, they grow to a certain size, and they Mutate and split off, forming another FAT CELL! (mUTha F##k).

I have a few friends who NEVER GET FAT. They drink cases of beer, booze, ton's of Carbs and they just don't have any fat cells on their Bodies (Mo-F##kers!). Then i know some ppl who Just look at a plate of spaghetti and gain 10 lbs overnight....

Nature has played a Cruel Hoax on Man...

..."Even extreme events—for example, dramatic weight loss through surgery or super-sized weight gain—change the size of fat cells in the body, but don’t nudge the number. (That said, many experts believe years of excessive weight gain that lead to hundreds of extra pounds will eventually cause fat cells to multiply.)"

Science Knowledge: The Life and Death of a Fat Cell

Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    I was told they Do Multiply. Apparently, they grow to a certain size, and they Mutate and split off, forming another FAT CELL! (mUTha F##k).

I have a few friends who NEVER GET FAT. They drink cases of beer, booze, ton's of Carbs and they just don't have any fat cells on their Bodies (Mo-F##kers!). Then i know some ppl who Just look at a plate of spaghetti and gain 10 lbs overnight....

Nature has played a Cruel Hoax on Man...

..."Even extreme events—for example, dramatic weight loss through surgery or super-sized weight gain—change the size of fat cells in the body, but don’t nudge the number. (That said, many experts believe years of excessive weight gain that lead to hundreds of extra pounds will eventually cause fat cells to multiply.)"

Science Knowledge: The Life and Death of a Fat Cell
    Your friends have great genetics and thus a great set point....where the body attempts to maintain homeostasis.

Thread Information