yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Just bought all my parts for my AK build!

I have been putting this off for a long time because my girlfriend and I are looking for a house but thats not going so well...plus I have been doing well at work so I figured I deserve it . I ordered all my parts (80% receiver, polish AKM parts kit, tapco trigger) and most of the tools I will need. Still need to go to harbor freight and get a couple things but im pretty much ready to go. I cant wait!

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    Awsome I am am going to to the same but like you I keep putting it off. Are you going full auto and what kind of kit are you using?

No full auto, dont feel like doing all the paper work and leaving my door open to the ATF. I am using the polish AKM47 fixed stock kit with a head spaced nitrate barrel.

cool I am a CNC machinist so I want to pop my receiver in a mill and deck it out with engraving all the way around and mabe even do some gold inlay. I have a Romanian AK now and love it

Thats awesome... My uncle is a machinist so I will probably be having him help with milling the rails and mag well if need be. This will be my first build and my first AK. By the time its all said and done I will probably have close to $1300 into it between parts and tools. The next one will be much cheaper lol.

yea the tools are the most expensive, the best way to trim rails and magwell is with a small file and a dremmel tool. A good thing to get is one of those metal retaining plates the stock retaining wire is a pain that holds everything together is a pain.

what kind of finish are you doing? they have the Birchwood casy bluing kits and you can do it at home

I havent done much research on that yet... I have heard of people using hi temp engine paint and baking it on. I want it too look factory made though im not sure what they use?

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Sounds like an expensive hobby! Enjoy!

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    I have been putting this off for a long time because my girlfriend and I are looking for a house but thats not going so well...
    Good to see your priorities are in the right place...lol

look up the blue kits you can blue it black if you want jus leave it on longer, I have messed with a lot of factory aks an I can tell you that the paint is crap on most of them, scratches real easy. a powder coat would look good and be durable to. I haven't been n this subject in a while I even machined a barrel press a while back so I can change and headspace my own barrels, but the cost of tools set me back or I would have an armory lol I could build one for 300 or less with the tools

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Sounds like an expensive hobby! Enjoy!
    It is turning out to be pretty expensive... But it should keep my mind off food! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
    look up the blue kits you can blue it black if you want jus leave it on longer, I have messed with a lot of factory aks an I can tell you that the paint is crap on most of them, scratches real easy. a powder coat would look good and be durable to. I haven't been n this subject in a while I even machined a barrel press a while back so I can change and headspace my own barrels, but the cost of tools set me back or I would have an armory lol I could build one for 300 or less with the tools
    I may blue it... I'll have to look into it more.

Iv also wanted to try the rubber bumpers that reduce recoil because the bolt normally bumps the rear trunion when it flys back

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can't legally build/assemble a new full-auto weapon unless you hold a Type 7 or Type 10 FFL and pay a Class 2 Special Occupation Tax. No full auto weapon is legally "transferrable" (meaning ownable by civilians) unless it already was on the books prior to the day when the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act was signed into law. Joe Sixpack still can "Form 1" (D-I-Y) a suppressor or an SBR, etc, but you can't "Form 1" a full-auto weapon. And you can't "Form 4" (buy ready-made) it unless it was built prior to the 1986 date.

But owning an NFA (full auto, suppressor, SBR, sawed-off shotgun, etc) doesn't give the ATF any special rights to raid your house. That's an urban myth.

correct but when you build a gun from ground up with no serial # it is a ghost to the government and if you know how you can make it full auto no problemo. However It will be illegal as hell if you are caught with it

That's the thing I like about it is the fact that I built it myself which is pretty cool to say, and no one knows I have this... Not that I can't legally posses a firearm but ya know..

and btw you can buy or own own a full auto as a civillan legally after 86, look on you tube if you have the time and $ with a clean reputation you can have whatever you want. my friend is building a suppressor leagly as we speak took 2 years of paper work before he could start on it. Also I have walked into a local gunshop and found a new built full auto and they said 2k and some paper work and it could be mine.

Thread Information