Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Health Insurance in US

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"

Health Insurance in US

I will be moving to MI soon from Canada and I have no clue how medical insurance works. Can someone please guide me through the process I talk to one government agency tomorrow and they said that it is going to cost about 700$ for 2 adults and 3 kids,
    Also how about car insurance cause MI is at fault state. No matter who hit you its your fault....which company I go with?

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Stay in Canada lol
    lovbyts, APIs, Euroholic and 1 others like this.
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Stay in Canada lol
    Great advice. I think all Americans want to move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Stay in Canada lol
    I need advise in terms of how to acheive the health insurance and dont want thread to go south

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    a safe bet is the insurance through your employer they pay part, you pay part..

if you need to buy your own insurance blue cross and blue shield.. good times.

car
    state farm insurance, same for home owners, or renters insurance..

there are cheaper, but you can take your time to find them, these 2 i will recommend as they will pay out when you need them, it's that simple
    Last edited by spywizard; 05-18-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Spy's advice is spot on. Getting it through ur employer is the cheapest way to go. My employer doesn't offer any and the government wants over $400/month for next to no coverage at all. I'd still also have an $8000 deductible

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    Spy's advice is spot on. Getting it through ur employer is the cheapest way to go. My employer doesn't offer any and the government wants over $400/month for next to no coverage at all. I'd still also have an $8000 deductible
    Lol health "insurance"
    Euroholic likes this.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you employer wont pay or partialy pay for insurance you will have to go through either the state or government insurance, Obamacarae. ObamacareUSA.org - Helping America find the best health insurance

As for car insurance shop around. I use to be with State Farm then Allstate and a few others then more recently Esurance for many years was GOOD, until Allstate bought them and prices with up, up and doubled last year. Now I have my 2 houses, 4 cars, 2 jet skis and 3 quads all under Progressive. I have been VERY happy with how Progressive have dealt with claims in the past for me, 100% satisfied.

Thank you guys....especially Spy. I am a contractor if i have to get it from employer it will be about 1200 month with shitty coverage

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    Thank you guys....especially Spy. I am a contractor if i have to get it from employer it will be about 1200 month with shitty coverage
    You can always go the self coverage route, which may or may not be more expensive depending on what level of coverage you want, and dependents you're having covered. I'd first find a doctor and/or clinic you like, and see what coverage they accept before signing up with any insurance program.

As far as vehicles go, my first stop would be to a Progressive agent. He will input your information, and it will spit out the prices of coverage for Progressive, but also State Farm, All State, Liberty Mutual, etc. Let them know you're new and shopping around, and get those prices. For the record, I'd go State Farm, All State, Liberty Mutual, Progressive for all insurance coverage as far as ranking.

There's a ton of options out there Cal; you'll just have to sort through them all and see what you find. FYI, the Obamacare program isn't bad if you can get in; depends on how much you make, and dependents. Just realize that coverage is mandatory in the States now, and if you don't have coverage and pay taxes in the US you'll be fined for not having health coverage.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'd venture to say you could probably do better shopping for Health Coverage on your own depending on your income. Since you're a contractor, you may want to consider opening a business under an S-Corp or LLC and look at prices for a business policy. However, under Obamacare you will likely need to have more than one employee on the books, but check with your specific State Laws. Regardless, start with the larger firms like Cigna, United Healthcare, Oxford (owned by United) etc. You'll need to study all the coverage, deductible & co-pay options available in each policy/price level. They're typically divided into Gold/Silver & Bronze levels with Gold & Silver having the best coverage & costing the most. It can be a daunting process. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    I'd venture to say you could probably do better shopping for Health Coverage on your own depending on your income. Since you're a contractor, you may want to consider opening a business under an S-Corp or LLC and look at prices for a business policy. However, under Obamacare you will likely need to have more than one employee on the books, but check with your specific State Laws. Regardless, start with the larger firms like Cigna, United Healthcare, Oxford (owned by United) etc. You'll need to study all the coverage, deductible & co-pay options available in each policy/price level. They're typically divided into Gold/Silver & Bronze levels with Gold & Silver having the best coverage & costing the most. It can be a daunting process. Good luck...
    I did talked to United and they have one plan I liked. I am thinking of getting 1099 by the July and then I can have my wife as an employee and go from there.

I did talked to United and they have one plan I liked. I am thinking of getting 1099 by the July and then I can have my wife as an employee and go from there.
    That's what I tried to do. However, under Obamacare, my State no longer allowed me to declare my Wife as an employee. I therefore lost my business policy and had to purchase my own coverage. Cost went from $550/month to $901/month for the same Silver Policy I had prior. Welcome to America!

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    That's what I tried to do. However, under Obamacare, my State no longer allowed me to declare my Wife as an employee. I therefore lost my business policy and had to purchase my own coverage. Cost went from $550/month to $901/month for the same Silver Policy I had prior. Welcome to America!
    I am in Michigan. not sure how things work there. Cost is 750$ for the whole family anyway and I will be their "employ" till July any way and then things will change .,..I guess I should ask them ahead of time Or I can have my Gardner as my employee......
    Thank you for your input.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    our health care system is crap here , there some lucky ones though that come out good but its a small %

Quote Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
    our health care system is crap here , there some lucky ones though that come out good but its a small %
    You are correct ...I am finding out the hard way..In Canada you dont pay attention till you get out of there.

RigPig is offline Knowledgeable Member
    C maybe ask Canadian vendors like Combined insurance out of Calgary. I go through them and they cover me world wide. It's not overly expensive in comparison. Not sure how it works moving to the States but you may still be able to do it if you keep a Canadian PO Box or something.
    Combined covers everyone no matter how High Risk your job. I have rodeo buddies and Moto buddies that make multiple claims throughout the season, they get paid to be laid up, they get paid per stitch, paid per broken bone, it's really unbelievable what this company pays and has managed to stay in business over 25 years or something.
    I have all the same coverage for myself and family and it's under 400/month.
    Including 1mill life

Quote Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
    C maybe ask Canadian vendors like Combined insurance out of Calgary. I go through them and they cover me world wide. It's not overly expensive in comparison. Not sure how it works moving to the States but you may still be able to do it if you keep a Canadian PO Box or something.
    Combined covers everyone no matter how High Risk your job. I have rodeo buddies and Moto buddies that make multiple claims throughout the season, they get paid to be laid up, they get paid per stitch, paid per broken bone, it's really unbelievable what this company pays and has managed to stay in business over 25 years or something.
    I have all the same coverage for myself and family and it's under 400/month.
    Including 1mill life
    I am in IT I dont have a high risk job I sit on my ass for likr like 8 hours a day 40 hours a week. You think I should give them a call? Cover you world wide I am assuming you are talking about travel insurance? It is different when you are LIVING in US. not traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by calgarian
    I am in IT I dont have a high risk job I sit on my ass for likr like 8 hours a day 40 hours a week. You think I should give them a call? Cover you world wide I am assuming you are talking about travel insurance? It is different when you are LIVING in US. not traveling.
    I'd check to see what they have for options, unless you never plan on coming back to Canada they might have something for you.
    It's worth a shot, are you giving up your citizenship or just going for a certain length of time via contract and sponsorship?
    I had mentioned my intent on moving to the Middle East for work, their rep said it wasn't an issue because I'd still be a Canadian resident as well.
    Not entirely sure if she was just selling me or if there is more to it.

I'd check to see what they have for options, unless you never plan on coming back to Canada they might have something for you.
    It's worth a shot, are you giving up your citizenship or just going for a certain length of time via contract and sponsorship?
    I had mentioned my intent on moving to the Middle East for work, their rep said it wasn't an issue because I'd still be a Canadian resident as well.
    Not entirely sure if she was just selling me or if there is more to it.
    I will call them. I am not giving up my Canadian Citizenship. Its just a TN visa that gives you permission to work in US. Will never apply fir citizenship or green card I like being Canadian.
    lovbyts likes this.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Do you even need it? How often would you even go see a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Do you even need it? How often would you even go see a doctor?
    Yes he NEEDs it because if he does not get it he is fined each and every month. Obamacare/insurance is not a choice anymore. Obama make it a Law that it's required. I like the saying I saw the other day. If Obamacare was so good and everyone wanted it there would not need to be a Law that required it.

I will call them. I am not giving up my Canadian Citizenship. Its just a TN visa that gives you permission to work in US. Will never apply fir citizenship or green card I like being Canadian.
    Never say never.. Who knows, once you are here and realize all the beached whales, I mean Plus size women that are available you may change your mind. No not really because because all the fatties/Plus size women still think they are all that and more. I think this is one of the reasons I never got into going clubbing because they were usually full of fatties who thought they were gods gift. Even though I had no interest in them it was like a train wreck, you just couldn't no look or un-see it sometimes.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 05-19-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Yes he NEEDs it because if he does not get it he is fined each and every month. Obamacare/insurance is not a choice anymore. Obama make it a Law that it's required. I like the saying I saw the other day. If Obamacare was so good and everyone wanted it there would not need to be a Law that required it.
    Jesus. Is that not going against civil liberties? Like here we get a fine for not voting. What if your religious views condemn medical treatment?.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Jesus. Is that not going against civil liberties? Like here we get a fine for not voting. What if your religious views condemn medical treatment?.
    It's getting more and more frequent people have their kids taken away because of religious veiws and refusing medical treatment. Let me revise that, if you are Christian. Ill refrain from going off on another tangent and getting to Off Topic. Yes civil liberties are being violated and loss all the time but with each generation you dont know what you loss if you never had it and they think it's only one or two things so it's not a big deal...

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post
    Great advice. I think all Americans want to move to Canada

Why would you think all Americans want to move to a glaciated area? I sure as fvck never care to move there.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Luckily for me I am EXEMPT from mandated US healthcare. The VA allows me to go to any hospital in America 100% free of charge for the rest of my life. Sacrifices have rewards

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley
    Why would you think all Americans want to move to a glaciated area? I sure as fvck never care to move there.
    Lol x1000 why would I want to move out of the US? Is it perfect? Not by any means but it beats the hell out of almost anywhere else.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    if Hillary Clinton is elected president ill move to Canada with you

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley
    Come one W, what's not to love about Canada? I mean it's freezing ass cold most of the time, everything is expensive as f**k and we have the worst Data plans for cell phone / internet in the world. That's appealing right lmao!
    wmaousley likes this.

Come one W, what's not to love about Canada? I mean it's freezing ass cold most of the time, everything is expensive as f**k and we have the worst Data plans for cell phone / internet in the world. That's appealing right lmao!
    Prostitution is legal, sort of.
    You also have OTC aspirin with codeine.
    wmaousley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
    That's just silly IMO. Is it getting totally screwed due to the current administration? Yes, but I'd rather be here in the U.S. when something bad occurs health-wise...

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Prostitution is legal, sort of.
    You also have OTC aspirin with codeine.
    Thank you guys. There is no country that is perfect. Canada has it weakness and its strength, Same like USA or any other country for that matter. I am moving there cause I am getting paid 200K / year. and I can play with my taxes correct (got a CPA for 1099) I can save even more so given the circumstances things looks up and up for me. Yes part of Canada are cold yes things are expensive as **** but depends what you are looking for no healthcare premium only thing is for prescription drugs. If you live in BC its not that cold. I be moving to Troy Michigan and its an hell of area disadvantages your car insurance is AT FAULT so no matter whoes fault it is you are paying.

All I got to say is this.......If it was not for Canada I will not where I am today. People like their country and I like mine. Thats it thats all.

- Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Luckily for me I am EXEMPT from mandated US healthcare. The VA allows me to go to any hospital in America 100% free of charge for the rest of my life. Sacrifices have rewards
    I had no intention to hurt anyones feelings or any disrespect by the following comment and I apologize if I did.
    I gather from your previous responses that you were in Armed forces. No matter which country it is they do a great job of brain washing the guys hence they hire them as a young age. Thats all I am going to say.
    Last edited by calgarian; 05-20-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Ya well you deserve it plus a bunch more that you don't get in my opinion. Thanks for your service truly.

I gather from your previous responses that you were in Armed forces. No matter which country it is they do a great job of brain washing the guys hence they hire them as a young age. Thats all I am going to say.
    Who's brainwashed? You for believing we are all brainwashed or us for doing something most won't even consider? We SEE what goes on around the world. This is where our opinions come from, not brainwashing. There's more diversity in the way service members think than you probably believe. Also we get hired at a young age because 40 year olds generally can't hump 80+pounds 60 miles over the course of 6 days with 12 hours sleep between all those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Who's brainwashed? You for believing we are all brainwashed or us for doing something most won't even consider? We SEE what goes on around the world. This is where our opinions come from, not brainwashing. There's more diversity in the way service members think than you probably believe. Also we get hired at a young age because 40 year olds generally can't hump 80+pounds 60 miles over the course of 6 days with 12 hours sleep between all those days.
    If you get your head out of dark place and read what I said. I did not blame any government I blamed all governments for doing that. Do I like soldiers? I have tremendous amount of respect for what they do for the country and for the freedom of people like me so we can live freely and express our opinion, so if you think I have problem with armed forces I dont never have never will. I can go on and but lets just stick to the topic at hand and you believed what was forced into you.
    Plus your name says Kid I dont argue with kids anyway. The responses like that were the reason I went away from this forum couple of years ago, we stop reading and we start blowing up without realizing what was actually said instead of what we think was said.
    Last edited by calgarian; 05-20-2015 at 11:05 AM.

If you get your head out of dark place and read what I said. I did not blame any government I blamed all governments for doing that. Do I like soldiers? I have tremendous amount of respect for what they do for the country and for the freedom of people like me so we can live freely and express our opinion, so if you think I have problem with armed forces I dont never have never will. I can go on and but lets just stick to the topic at hand and you believed what was forced into you. Plus your name says Kid I dont argue with kids anyway. The responses like that were the reason I went away from this forum couple of years ago, we stop reading and we stop blowing up without realizing what was actually said instead of what actually was said.
    I'm not blowing up I simply refuted what you said and now your mad about it lol. Also My name on this forum has nothing to do with my age. This is hysterical. "What was forced into you" what do you think they do? Sit us in a room and hypnotize us? Have you ever been in the armed forces of Canada or any other country? I don't care about you saying you have respect, I have issue with people generalizing every single service member as brainwashed. If you don't want a reply then don't make the comment because it's incredibly rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    I'm not blowing up I simply refuted what you said and now your mad about it lol. Also My name on this forum has nothing to do with my age. This is hysterical. "What was forced into you" what do you think they do? Sit us in a room and hypnotize us? Have you ever been in the armed forces of Canada or any other country? I don't care about you saying you have respect, I have issue with people generalizing every single service member as brainwashed. If you don't want a reply then don't make the comment because it's incredibly rude.
    Kid I have my whole family is serving in armed forces for 3 generations that include british armed forces in second world war. I have been there I have done it I was in the IT department of the country when I was 17 served till I was 22 then it was not for me so I moved here. Enough said. Stick to the thread we just agree to disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information