Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte
  • 1 Post By musclestack
  • 1 Post By lovbyts

Thread: Liver support for incurable disease?

musclestack is offline Productive Member

Liver support for incurable disease?

A friend of mine is going through a really rough time. Her and her husband's house burned down, and they lost everything. Thankfully, the neighbor saw the house was on fire, climbed a ladder to their bedroom where she was and pulled her out. Her husband and kids were not in the house, but the 2 dogs weren't so lucky. When the fire department came, they ran some vitals on her. Now, I don't know much about the liver, or what values were measured, or even what units these values are measured in, so bear with me...one of her liver values that has a normal reading of around 50 (again, don't know the units here) came back at over 1,000.

So, she scheduled an appointment to get her liver tested, and it turns out, she has some incurable liver disease. I don't know the details of this; this is all she told me, and I didn't want to pry and ask a bunch of questions since she's been through a lot already. Basically, this is going to be terminal for her.

My question is, what's the best thing out there (OTC) that I can recommend she takes to help her out. I realize this isn't going to reverse the disease, but is there anything that you think would help prolong her life, even if it's just a few months?

Thanks a lot, guys.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Sorry to hear this mate, i really hope the diagnosis is wrong. Unfortunately i dont think any over counter supplements will help in this case. Two i know of that are taken during cycle are milk thistle and Liv52. Maybe do some research on these and hopefully they can help!

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    What about NAC? UDCA for reversal?!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    What about NAC? UDCA for reversal?!
    Those are what I would go with. Funny thing about the liver is it can come back with a little help even after diagnosis like that.

I have a friend who they thought she would die because the liver stopped working. That was 10+ years ago and she is fine now.

Best of luck to your friend.

OT sort or. How did it happen she was home alone and could not get out?

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to look into everything mentioned.

LB, she believes it was from a candle she lit in the hallway atop a shelf. She then fell asleep in her room, and when she woke up, the hallway was engulfed in flames. Being on the second floor, she couldn't get out on her own. Stupid mistake that she's paying the price for, but keep in mind that this can happen to anyone so, please guys, stay safe.

It would be nice if this could be reversed. Then, the fire would have actually been somewhat of a blessing since, without it, she would never know there's something wrong with her (or maybe until it was too late).

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to look into everything mentioned. LB, she believes it was from a candle she lit in the hallway atop a shelf. She then fell asleep in her room, and when she woke up, the hallway was engulfed in flames. Being on the second floor, she couldn't get out on her own. Stupid mistake that she's paying the price for, but keep in mind that this can happen to anyone so, please guys, stay safe. It would be nice if this could be reversed. Then, the fire would have actually been somewhat of a blessing since, without it, she would never know there's something wrong with her (or maybe until it was too late).
    There's new treatments for liver depending on what she has. Just make sure she gets a second opinion and talking with doctors who stay current. Also if in a smaller town, may have to go to a bigger city.
    almostgone likes this.

Women and there candles.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Need the name of this "incurable disease".
    And Fire/EMS don't do bloodwork. That would be the hospital's job.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte
    Need the name of this "incurable disease". And Fire/EMS don't do bloodwork. That would be the hospital's job.
    Just sent her a text to get the details. Will report back.
    lovbyts likes this.

Bonaparte, I spoke to her husband the other day. He said they diagnosed her with non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Her liver is 4 times the normal size. I asked what they were using to treat it, and he said they were told there is no cure. I did not ask who specifically performed the vitals, but I suppose that is irrelevant in any case.

• Vitamin E. In theory, vitamin E and other vitamins called antioxidants could help protect the liver by reducing or neutralizing the damage caused by inflammation. But more research is needed.

Some evidence suggests vitamin E supplements may be helpful for people with liver damage caused by nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. But vitamin E has side effects, such as an increased risk of death and, in men, an increased risk of prostate cancer.
      Discuss the benefits and risks of vitamin E with your doctor.
    • Coffee. In one study, people with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease who reported drinking coffee had less liver damage than those who drank little or no coffee. It's not clear how coffee may influence liver damage or how much coffee you'd need to drink in order to benefit.

Simply avoid all processed foods, sodas, sports drinks, junk foods, and trans-fats. Look for HFCS or corn syrup in the list of all food ingredients when you shop and avoid them. Exercise as often as possible, and restrict alcohol consumption.

The herb Milk Thistle is best suited for the liver because it contains silymarin, a flavonoid that heads straight to the liver to repair damaged cells.
    I would also go with the TUDCA/UDCA, NAC and Liv52 also

Take in lots of vitamin D3 too in addition to antioxidant supplements (8000 IUs of vitamin D daily necessary to raise blood levels of "miracle" anti-cancer nutrient, declares groundbreaking new research - NaturalNews.com).

Glutathione precursors help the liver produce glutathione, the master antioxidant (The Vital Key to Maximum Antioxidant Activity is Glutathione - NaturalNews.com).

Coffee enemas will detoxify your liver directly (Use Coffee Enemas for Detoxification - NaturalNews.com).

Learn more: Treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease naturally - NaturalNews.com
    musclestack likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Diet has a lot to do with fatty liver. Incurable? I'ld say controllable.

This whole story of a candle causing this sounds suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Diet has a lot to do with fatty liver. Incurable? I'ld say controllable.

This whole story of a candle causing this sounds suspicious.
    I have read that, in most people, NAFLD does not cause any serious threat but, with some, it can cause symptoms and lead to death.

Perhaps I was unclear in my original post...the candle did not cause this. The candle is what started the house fire, which led to EMS/fire department coming, which led to checking her vitals, which led to them finding out that she has NAFLD. The candle was not the culprit; instead it served as the fist that knocked on the door to find out what was on the other side of it. Sorry for the confusion.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It isn't non-alcoholic steatohepatitis? (a more sever form of NAFLD, that causes liver failure and has no FDA-approved treatment)
    Even then, it doesn't sound as hopeless as she may have made it out to be.
    bIt may sound insensitive, but keep in mind that some people are dramatic or do not understand what they are told at the hospital, and kinda go overboard when given a diagnosis.

Is she morbidly obese? Because one would notice a huge size increase from a liver 4X its normal size (since the liver is already a huge organ), not to mention upper right quadrant pain from that inflammation, and other symptoms of liver disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    It isn't non-alcoholic steatohepatitis? (a more sever form of NAFLD, that causes liver failure and has no FDA-approved treatment)
    Even then, it doesn't sound as hopeless as she may have made it out to be.
    bIt may sound insensitive, but keep in mind that some people are dramatic or do not understand what they are told at the hospital, and kinda go overboard when given a diagnosis.

Is she morbidly obese? Because one would notice a huge size increase from a liver 4X its normal size (since the liver is already a huge organ), not to mention upper right quadrant pain from that inflammation, and other symptoms of liver disease.
    I'm not 100% sure on all the details, but I hope for her sake, it is reversable and she is overexaggerating. No, she is actually a very slim woman, but her stomach sticks out quite a bit. She doesn't drink alcohol at all and drinks tons of water, even before it was diagnosed. I have not heard her complain of any pain or discomfort. I don't like to bring it up too much though. Her husband had to take another job at a liquor store to supplement the income she lost from not being able to work anymore.

Thread Information