Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Theoretically what is worse?

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Theoretically what is worse?

Drinking moderately heavy on the weekends (6-8 drinks) or making poor food choices? (Eating at restaurants multiple times a week and making poor choices like cheese burgers and fries) From everything I've read I would think the drinking would be more detrimental to your training than a not so solid diet. I realize that neither one of these things have a place in bodybuilding but it's Friday and I'm bored so I figured I would start a discussion haha.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Your right neither have a place in bodybuilding.

If I had to choose I would pick eating crap over drinking!

uhit is offline Member
    I like food and being in my senses so if i had to choose between the two I'd go for the junk food lol

That's what I was leaning towards... Food. As terrible as they are for your diet/training at least a burger or a steak from a restaurant have some value as far as protein. I do my best to limit these activities as best I can allowing myself one cheat meal a week and a couple light beers once a week... But I usually don't drink at all.

Jesusbrah is offline Associate Member
    I would rather take a couple of drinks on the weekends, than eat shit all week.
    DAAS likes this.

Blog Entries
    I'd say drinking would be much worse especially if you're on hormones alot

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    ^^^^ this! If your not living the lifestyle your not going to be happy w/what your doing b/c deep down(not even If we all know) your not giving this 100%!

Diet is key... Coupled w/a a great training program will yield great results! I say this A LOT - b/c people overlook the ability of good whole foods! And a clean diet! They do wonders for energy motivation GAINS!!!!!

Stop... Think.... And tell yourself you can do this w/out drinks or eating like shit! Being that I don't drink often if at all - I crater have a few drinks on the w/e's but I know I won't - I know what it does to a diet, starts w/the sweets then more crappy food, etc etc - try everything you can to cut that stuff out - you'll be much better off! Health and fitness wise!

I hate sweets and junk food and do a very good job of avoiding alcohol. I do have a weakness for eating out. But I have cut that down to once or twice a week max. It feels good to keep your diet clean and train hard. I don't feel any better physically but I think I'm starting to look better. I know what you mean about feeling like crap when you slip up and eat something you shouldn't or have a couple drinks.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    For me..... I start feeling like crap after I disregard my diet for a bit. What's funny tho..... Is its not that I feel like "shit" but its more of how good I feel when my diet is clean. I wake up earlier, feel better physically..... It's amazing.

Letting the diet slip and eating anything and everything is very easy..... Simply put..... I love chocolate and ice cream. I would rather eat a chocolate bar than a protein bar any day. Truth be told tho..... I know in my head its not what I need. That will power and desire HAS to be there. If not..... You'll eat your way to obesity
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

See I dont feel any better physically when my diet is clean... If anything I'm more miserable because I'm not going out and eating steak, cheeseburgers, fries and all that good stuff lol.

Darkness is offline Member
    F0ck burgers and chocolate. Men always choose booze. Bottle of wine, divine, any time!

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    See I dont feel any better physically when my diet is clean... If anything I'm more miserable because I'm not going out and eating steak, cheeseburgers, fries and all that good stuff lol.
    I used to feel like that. But then I realized eating 'clean' made me perform better in the gym so I just adopted the 80/20 clean/dirty style of eating and it's been working ever since. No need for refeed/cheat days

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    This isn't really so much about a bodybuilding question really. When you eat shit, you feel like shit. Don't believe me? Go a few months eating a healthy diet and then make a trip to McDonalds, I bet you'll noticeably feel awful the next day. That shit isn't good for anybody, much less bodybuilding.

You really are what you eat. Now I'm not saying don't ever go get cheeseburgers or shakes or whatever is your guilty pleasure. But exercising moderation is key. Now if you want to be serious about bodybuilding (and I'd assume so since you're on a steroids website), you probably should take your diet serious.

You get exactly what you put in and nothing more, nothing less! Not just in the gym, but in the kitchen too.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit
    I used to feel like that. But then I realized eating 'clean' made me perform better in the gym so I just adopted the 80/20 clean/dirty style of eating and it's been working ever since. No need for refeed/cheat days
    Uhit. Please explain this 80/20 clean dirty style of eating. In 10 days you eat clean 8 days? Everyday u eat clean 80%? I am not sure what this means and how you implement. Thx!

The worst thing is that right now I'm doing cardio and having to watch this crossfit clown run around the gym. I would really love to see him severely injure himself.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about anyone else but when i eat pizza or something of that nature a day later in my workout i always feel more fatigued

DAAS is offline Senior Member
    I think eating crap is worse by far.

You Eat 3-7 times a day every day.
    Drinking on weekends happens for maybe 4 hours out of the week.

If I have a drink or two I feel week in the gym of a day or 2.
    IF i let my diet slip I feel like shit 24/7
    Last edited by DAAS; 05-31-2015 at 11:08 AM.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    For me..... I start feeling like crap after I disregard my diet for a bit. What's funny tho..... Is its not that I feel like "shit" but its more of how good I feel when my diet is clean. I wake up earlier, feel better physically..... It's amazing.

Letting the diet slip and eating anything and everything is very easy..... Simply put..... I love chocolate and ice cream. I would rather eat a chocolate bar than a protein bar any day. Truth be told tho..... I know in my head its not what I need. That will power and desire HAS to be there. If not..... You'll eat your way to obesity
    So true... I've been incorporating a cheat meal moreso(but very rare) b/c I really actually feel like shit when I do now... I'll have a burger and A shk(hlf) b/c I start literally feel bogged down and tired - it's amazing how much better you feel when eating clean all day erry day lol

Something must be wrong with me... I eat clean all week and I feel no better then back when I was eating fast food everyday for lunch. Call me crazy but after I eat my weekly cheat meal , which is usually two double cheese burgers and fries from Five Guys (like an in and out burger for you west coasters) I feel like.I can't move for about 30 minutes but after that I feel really good and I'm ready to lift the roof off of the gym lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289
    Something must be wrong with me... I eat clean all week and I feel no better then back when I was eating fast food everyday for lunch. Call me crazy but after I eat my weekly cheat meal , which is usually two double cheese burgers and fries from Five Guys (like an in and out burger for you west coasters) I feel like.I can't move for about 30 minutes but after that I feel really good and I'm ready to lift the roof off of the gym lol.
    You may need to listen more closely. Eat junk for few days and u will want a large salad!!!!

Haha Im ashamed to admit this but for a long time I was eating Wendys, mcdonalds, burger king, etc. every day during the week for lunch and on the weekends I would go out to restaurants to eat dinner. I definitely got a little fat as you could see from the previous pictures I posted lol But I felt perfectly fine.... except for when I saw my credit card bill haha. Im not saying it was good for me or health but I definitely didnt feel any worse.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Haha Im ashamed to admit this but for a long time I was eating Wendys, mcdonalds, burger king, etc. every day during the week for lunch and on the weekends I would go out to restaurants to eat dinner. I definitely got a little fat as you could see from the previous pictures I posted lol But I felt perfectly fine.... except for when I saw my credit card bill haha. Im not saying it was good for me or health but I definitely didnt feel any worse.
    You're still young lol
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Haha maybe thats it... Anyways im glad I cleaned up my diet and I am starting to see the results from doing so.... but man I love cheese burgers lol
    Theoretically what is worse?-1423015780384.png

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    THIS.... it takes a lot of discipline to live this lifestyle

Damn Pete is that you in your avatar? Lookin good man.

Damn Pete is that you in your avatar? Lookin good man.
    Yes, that is me. Just started my summer cut. Trying to get below 10%. Thanks.

Your huge man how many calories are you cutting at? Probably more than I would need to bulk lol

Your huge man how many calories are you cutting at? Probably more than I would need to bulk lol
    Actually, not that much believe it or not. I just eat the right foods and I can easily keep my size etc.

Oh good to know... trying to cut as well. I havent achieved the size I want but I need to lose some fat before it gets out of control. When I get to an acceptable body fat (around maybe 12%) Ill start to bulk but do it more responsibly this time around lol.

You keep with your plan and you'll build a lean strong physique and then you will notice. I think the body needs to go thru a detox before notice.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

I've been sticking to it for 3 months now. I've lost a solid 12lbs and am starting to finally look better. I feel like im getting closer to where I want to be... In a couple weeks ill probably make a new thread and post some new pictures and have you guys give me a body fat estimate.

I've been sticking to it for 3 months now. I've lost a solid 12lbs and am starting to finally look better. I feel like im getting closer to where I want to be... In a couple weeks ill probably make a new thread and post some new pictures and have you guys give me a body fat estimate.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I do both - but, I try my best to do it in moderation

I love shitty food & I love getting faded - but, the outcome is what I was 4 years ago.

It's kinda like order of self importance - look good > eat shit

Feel good > over getting faded

I still do eat crappy & do drink on occasions. I mean, there is life outside the gym.

Bottom line is - you get out what u put in

^^^ very true my friend

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    taking the question seriously for the moment... and realizing i don't drink (trying to make up for the sins of my youth),

i would think drinking 6-8 drinks fri + sat would be better than having a crappy diet. i think hitting your macros daily is more important in the long term, than 2 of 7 days of (frankly) not even heavy drinking.

back in the day when i did drink and lift i would drink more than 6-8 fri+sat and still ended up with pretty good size and definition.

just sayin....

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    We're not dogs. We don't need to reward ourselves with food. It's the whole, "You eat to live. "You don't live to eat" shpeel.

Drinking is horrible if you're on orals or anything that is hepatoxic. You're already taxing your liver, why add to the damage?
    As for bad foods, a cheat meal is alright as long as it doesn't outweigh all the hard work you put in the week before. You can have a day with more carbs as a 're-feed' day, then follow it up with a heavy leg day. Sure why not.

Personal experience I had, was that I did straight paleo for 9 months last year. All meat and veggies, no breads, no sugar, no alcohol. I had 2 cheat meals in the beginning 3 weeks apart, then had absolutely zero cheats after that. Woke up daily and had my diet down to a point. Every day 6 meals.
    Fast forward to 9 months later. I go visit family and I had 4 beers, a bit of candy licorice and hawaiian sweet rolls. By the end of the night, my feet and joints were swollen. SUPER puffy. Had such a nasty reaction. Mind you I was 208 Lbs at 6% so I felt the difference. I felt like straight up garbage after. The next day i had zero endurance in the gym and was winded after every set.

And that's my story. You can enjoy things, just in moderation.
    Last edited by SnaX; 06-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Uhit. Please explain this 80/20 clean dirty style of eating. In 10 days you eat clean 8 days? Everyday u eat clean 80%? I am not sure what this means and how you implement. Thx!
    Nooooo

I eat 80% of my calories/macros from whole food sources such as oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, chicken breast, spinach, nuts and the other 20% comes from whatever. Usually makes up my remainder fat/carb macros.

So at eating 2,000 a day at the moment, I'll fill up my macros (protein is a priority, so that usually gets done before anything else) and calories to about 1,600. The other 400 calories can come from 2 twix bars or a couple poptarts or protein bars or whatever I'm feeling. It doesn't necessarily have to be junk food, it can be processed like earlier mentioned a protein bar or I might go ahead and drink the 400 calories from a night out with friends.

Bottom line is for me anyway meeting my minimum protein and fat macros. The carbs will change depending on what happens within the day but as long as I'm consistently hitting around 2,000 calories I will lose fat/weight/something that isn't muscle. I've found this works for me and I used to eat 100% clean with 1 cheat meal on sunday and I ended up binging and ruining my progress.

IIFYM to an extent has worked for me personally, something else may work for you. I did some experimenting and am glad I've found my sweet spot :

But I can only eat the sweet stuff at night... if I have them in the day I crave them... Only downside I guess

hardGrip_88 is offline New Member
    Well id choose booze over the weekend then eating them nasty food all week long. Although food may have (very small chances) to have other nutrient benefits than alcohol other than junk, you still have a lot more of junk to burn out and excrete. so drinking would be better, just as long as it's only during the weekend, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hardGrip_88 View Post
    Well id choose booze over the weekend then eating them nasty food all week long. Although food may have (very small chances) to have other nutrient benefits than alcohol other than junk, you still have a lot more of junk to burn out and excrete. so drinking would be better, just as long as it's only during the weekend, lol.
    I think people are twisting this question to their little a little too much. It's not asked if fast food and crappy food everyday is better than 1 alcoholic beverage on the weekend lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information