Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SnaX
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong

Thread: Absolutely sick of my gym

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Absolutely sick of my gym

So for the past two days I have gone to my gym to train and it was closed. I drove all the way out there to find they weren't open. They gave no notice or anything. Also, if a dumbbell or any piece of equipment breaks they dont replace it.... they play terrible music if they play any at all and their hours are terrible. I am debating on finding a new gym or working out at home again. I have a nice power rack, Olympic bar with about 500lbs of plates, high/low pulley weight stack, preacher curl, ez curl bar, dumbbells from 15-70lbs. I think my issues are going to be needing more dumbbells, and finding something I can work calves on. Can anyone who has built their calves up recommend a machine that worked for putting size on? Something that wont break the bank preferably lol. Also, are there any good online stores or am I better off going to somewhere local and buying?

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    It's unreal someone will run their business like that. Workout at home if your good with it I personally have a hard time with it. Good luck!

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Get a 2x4 or 4x4 piece of wood to stand on, hold your bar full of weights and do standing calf raises. I've seen people do donkey calf raises some interesting ways with their power rack and using their olympic bar running up their backs.

You could even try sitting down, running the bar across your legs and using the 4x4 or larger as seated calf raises. May have to use a pad between your legs and bars. As well getting the weight situated may be tricky for any of these so be careful not to hurt yourself or drop a weight on your feet etc.

You can probably google for a solution.
    You'll make it happen! Good luck brother!

Ps. Post some pics of what you come up with. Show that creativity!!!
    DADDYDBOL likes this.

Lol before I joined a gym I was doing calve raises with the free bar on two 2X4's nailed together and its a little sketchy lol. At the gym I would use the smith machine or cybex leg press machine. I dont think I have room for either one of those.... and definitely dont have the money to spend on it.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Just find a new gym. Some small gyms will give you a key or a key code where you can use it 24/7.

A gym membership for a year is cheaper than buying one piece of decent equipment. Until you can get the home gym you want I think finding a new one is your best option.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just find a new gym

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    New gym and get yourself some earbuds and a play list!
    BG likes this.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Took me a while to find a gym that I was comfortable in when I had moved. My gym now is almost perfect, you should go shop around and see what is out there.

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    I do calf raises from 25 lb plates

I would have been at a new gym two years ago if there were any closer to my house. I live in the country but work in a small city and there are a couple gyms there. The only problem is I would have to go straight there after work... and I usually am weak and tired from not eating since lunch so I always liked being able to go home to eat first. And I believe its $50 a month

Blog Entries
    I have some of the same problems but maybe amplified when i was at my colelge gym not only was there limited equipment but some of the kids there were obnoxious/knew nothing but acted like hardos and many of the equipment would be taken alot of the time for the wrong reasons i.e stereotypical curling in the squat rack type of ish... Lots of people waiting right next to you asking how many sets you have left and then watching you till your done only to start doing lat pulldowns the wrong way.. it was a mess.. yet finding the right hours to go, and finding motivation within i was able to look past the BS until i could find another gym which i did.. And it really makes a difference... I think if alot of the time you're not working or doing some type of schooling to workout by yourself on a daily basis can definetly make for a lonely atmosphere for someone and maybe cause less motivation and may cause you not to work as hard? That is not the case for me and many but def something to consider? Anyway..IMO find another gym bro

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I cant stand most gyms. I've always liked lifting at home much better.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just bring an extra meal with you and eat 45 min to 1 hour prior to leaving and then hit the gym before going home. Problem solved. Don't overcomplicate things. If $50/month is too much for your health I don't know what else to tell you.

pitweiler is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete33
    Just bring an extra meal with you and eat 45 min to 1 hour prior to leaving and then hit the gym before going home. Problem solved. Don't overcomplicate things. If $50/month is too much for your health I don't know what else to tell you.
    That's what I used to do. I brought an extra meal to work and I'd eat it on my way home from work. I had about an hour ride and head straight to the gym. Id get home from the gym and eat again. If I didn't do this I would be working out a lot later than I wanted to.

I signed up for the gym near my work...went in there today and checked it out it looked awesome. And it is owned and operated by a guy and girl who actually compete. Im very excited to start training there. I am going to try to get there on my lunch break to lift... that should give me a solid 45 minutes. Im more than happy to pay the $50 a month for a membership... Im a firm believer in the saying "you get what you pay for" and this place is amazing compared to my old gym.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    OP,

As mentioned above, I suggest taking an extra meal to work. I eat at my desk at about 4:30 (get off at 5), then head straight to the gym.

If you decide to stay home, when I was younger, I would take a tire tube that I filled with sand to weigh it down, hang it off my shoulders, and do standing calf raises on my parents' stairs in the basement. It's nice because, since it's a tube, it just drapes over your shoulders, so your hands are free and you can even put your fingertips against the wall for balance.

Im training on my lunch break.... gives me a solid 45 minutes at the gym.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Well OP, I've lately been totally sick of my gym. A lot of the equipment is in disrepair. Dumbbells that broke a year ago still haven't been replaced. And on top of it, the places is overcrowded with dumbasses who misuse squat cages or hog equipment to do strange sorts of lifts. Or the guys who use benches to do 3 or 4 reps of something light weight then rest for a good 5-10 mins.

Usually, I'd just have to deal with the out-of-order equipment, but due to circumstances, I can't just go in at 2am and have the place to myself anymore.

I wish there was a gym out there that kind of makes it's potential members take a pre-test in order to work out there. Like a non-profit gym. That way you don't have to worry about the dipshits and noobs that we all fvcking hate.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Speaking of equipment in despair, I was at the gym yesterday and all the other cable cross over were being used except one. I went over and set it to the height I wanted and width. Then I went to set the weight and no pins. I looked on top, around back and down in the slave of the weight. Nothing

Just as I started to walk away a female trainer came over and said hi, I'll show you how this works. I just smiled and raised my eyebrows like really, do I look new? LoL

She showed me how to adjust the height and width. Then I said ok, what about the weight. Then she said like this and reaches for the pins that weren't there. Hahaha.

She said oh, thats why you were walking away, now I feel silly.

I think she just wanted an excuse to talk to me. No, probably just trying to be helpful, right? She did go get a sign to put on it saying under repair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Well OP, I've lately been totally sick of my gym. A lot of the equipment is in disrepair. Dumbbells that broke a year ago still haven't been replaced. And on top of it, the places is overcrowded with dumbasses who misuse squat cages or hog equipment to do strange sorts of lifts. Or the guys who use benches to do 3 or 4 reps of something light weight then rest for a good 5-10 mins.

Usually, I'd just have to deal with the out-of-order equipment, but due to circumstances, I can't just go in at 2am and have the place to myself anymore.

I wish there was a gym out there that kind of makes it's potential members take a pre-test in order to work out there. Like a non-profit gym. That way you don't have to worry about the dipshits and noobs that we all fvcking hate.
    That is too real alot of the same problems with my gym

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Speaking of equipment in despair, I was at the gym yesterday and all the other cable cross over were being used except one. I went over and set it to the height I wanted and width. Then I went to set the weight and no pins. I looked on top, around back and down in the slave of the weight. Nothing

Just as I started to walk away a female trainer came over and said hi, I'll show you how this works. I just smiled and raised my eyebrows like really, do I look new? LoL

She showed me how to adjust the height and width. Then I said ok, what about the weight. Then she said like this and reaches for the pins that weren't there. Hahaha.

I think she just wanted an excuse to talk to me. No, probably just trying to be helpful, right? She did go get a sign to put on it saying under repair.
    Hahaha! Thats great. Im loving the new gym so far. Im working out with my boss who used to be really into the body building scene so its great to have a spotter and someone who is just as motivated as you are. Lifting on my lunch break seems like the way to go... its nice know that after I punch out at 5 the rest of my night is free to relax or do whatever.

I do the same, work out on my break. It use to be around 2am until they closed our on site gym. Now its 5am.

I'm not even awake by 5am! Lol my lunch break is 12-1... I usually eat my lunch around 11:30 and leave a couple minutes before noon for the gym... So I have a pretty decent window to lift... But my job is somewhat physically demanding so the rest of the day sucks trying to get through. Hoping I'll adapt to it.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

Was she hot and Asian? And do you have pics of her?

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post

Was she hot and Asian? And do you have pics of her?
    No not Asian, not hot but not bad. No pics, phone stays in the locker.

DADDYDBOL is offline Anabolic Member
    Lifetime Fitness

Expensive but open 24/7 365 and high quality everything

I pay $76 a month for full access....no tanning beds but they have Pilates Yoga indoor pool outdoor pool saunas steam rooms mani/pedi salon barber and full cafe

The best part is you link your credit card to your membership card and you can get a haircut or grab dinner (and it's a good dinner, 2 chicken breasts and a cup of wild rice is only $7) and just scan your membership card for payment

Dumbbells go up to 170 which come on be honest....no one here is putting up 200's and they will let the whiners know grunting swearing and cussing is not only accepted but expected

Best thing.....a sign in the mens room...."**** Crossfit"

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, life time sure sounds nice

But, around these parts LA Fitness is trying to keep up. The only lame part is that there are only two that have dumbbells that go above 100.

One by my house & one fairly close by the ASU Campus < my favorite gym now weights are great & the scenery is nothing short of amazing

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> >
    Yeah, life time sure sounds nice But, around these parts LA Fitness is trying to keep up. The only lame part is that there are only two that have dumbbells that go above 100. One by my house & one fairly close by the ASU Campus < my favorite gym now weights are great & the scenery is nothing short of amazing
    DB at my gym go to 220. There's one guy that has a band to add 5 lb plates to each end. I thought how ingenious.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat

DB at my gym go to 220. There's one guy that has a band to add 5 lb plates to each end. I thought how ingenious.
    You found me.....
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    You found me.....
    I knew it was you all along. And you said it was your bro. LoL!

Thread Information