Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Brett N
  • 1 Post By Brett N
  • 1 Post By Klaus88
  • 1 Post By pitweiler

Thread: Bud/s

Klaus88 is offline New Member

Bud/s

I'd like to hear from anybody's experiences going through basic underwater demolition training. I've wanted to go military for a while now. Training tips on swimming would also be appreciated.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Good luck. I'm army but that's one tough SOB of a school.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus88 View Post
    I'd like to hear from anybody's experiences going through basic underwater demolition training. I've wanted to go military for a while now. Training tips on swimming would also be appreciated.
    You are probably not going to find that here. Go to a bookstore. Several SEALS have written books about the whole process. There are also video documentaries of BUDS. There is no reason or excuse for not knowing what you are facing going in these days, and still the majority quit.

Yeah it was a long shot. I'm planning on training at least 1-2 years before I consider enlisting. It'd be dumb to go into it unprepared.

Hitting the local bookstore tomorrow.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    I ant speak of buds because I was also army, but I have some friends who were/are seals and the best way to prepare for this kind of training is getting in the best shape of your life. I went through some schools that takes a lot out of you. I'm a strong swimmer and you just have to practice. If you going to buds I would think ocean swims with be the best. But being I've been through so many schools during my 22 years, when it comes to special operations training whether, army, navy, marines, or Air Force it's all about mental toughness. That's number one, go into saying I will not quit no matter what. All the physical training you do before will help, but without that mental toughness you will not make it. You also need tone smart, I never met no operated who wasn't intelligent. At least none who stayed. Just remember some were born to do it and some wasn't. Good luck in whatever you decide, and remember never give up. By the way if you thinking about seals go to SOFREP.com and I'm sure you will get all the help you need from those guys.
    Last edited by ppwc1985; 06-14-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks ppwc, right now I've just finished my second year of engineering in college, so I'm not worried as much on the intelligence. May take a year off of school while training and finish the degree paid by the navy. I'm mainly focusing on getting in shape right now. And I'm checking out the website now.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Wow, that would be a cool job. I love diving although I dont get a chance to do it very often and getting to blow things up under water, what could be better than that?

pitweiler is offline Member
    That's what I originally wanted to do before going into the marines. I decided against it because the drop rate is so high. I didn't want to risk getting dropped and be stuck doing a job in the navy that I didn't like. Good luck though! That would be a bad ass job! When I was looking into it there were a few good books on how to train for it. But like someone said. A lot of it is just mental, it's. Physically enduring don't get me wrong but if you can mentally get through it. You will have an advantage.

If possible I'd train on the beach in the ocean. Get used to being cold and wet and covered in sand. Also the lack of sleep and food.

Also for when it comes to the recruiter. Don't sign anything unless you have it in writing! I know so many people that got ****ed over by the recruiter. I was suppose to try out for the recon indoc, but I never got a chance. When I got out you get all your paperwork back and I was going through it and the way the contract was worded everyone has a chance if they come through your until looking for people to take the indoc.

I think I went a little over board than what you were asking but I just hate it when recruiters **** people over just so they meet their quota

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    I was Navy. Not seals or Special forces though.

If you are going to college now, why would you want to enlist? Why not go for a commission? Another thing, if you do enlist, whether you make the special forces intended or not you are still committed to your tour. You may be that one out of 100 that makes it but make sure you sign up as a specialty that you want to do first. Like a Seabee or whatever it is you want.

If I don't make special forces Id fall back to nuclear anyway. I don't have an ocean to work with btw but I have a big lake and some Kansas weather.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    If I don't make special forces Id fall back to nuclear anyway. I don't have an ocean to work with btw but I have a big lake and some Kansas weather.
    What are you lookin to know b/c my pop/& my exes Father were both SEALs(her Father was one of the original(frogmen of WW2/Korea/& Vietnam) he was a badass), if you have specific ?'si could ask what isn't classified(as most of that stuff is on TV now too lol - I heard some stories(only what I he thought he could tell me - can't even think of the shit they can't

GL and I wish you the best!

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Good luck. I would take a trip and swim some currents. It would be sick if you made it.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Good luck. I would take a trip and swim some currents. It would be sick if you made it.
    ^^^ That's your best bet, they'll be dropping you off in the middle of an ocean during trainibg anyway(one of the tests I know I've heard of - some treading water for 20+ hrs... The ocean is where your most comfortable(there approaches often - much more than not - come from HALO jumps/& from at least 1/4 mile out in ocean - it defo would be awesome if you made it!!!

I'll do my best to make a trip to the ocean farther into my training. One thing I'm trying to figure out is tracking a swim workout in the lake/sea. I want to push myself to know that I'm getting good distances in the water.

Make sure when you do enlist, you enlist as a nuke tech.

You don't just fall back to whatever you choose. It has to be in your original contract. Any and every rate in the navy can try out for seals but you do all the prequalifying in boot camp.

A recruiter may tell you that you can just fall back into nuke but you have to test high enough on the asvab test and still have it in your contract. Recruiters 100% lie. They have quotas. If the Navy needs more guys in the aviation area, that's where they will try and direct you. Take the time to do some reading on it and know exactly what rate (mos) you want guaranteed.

Good luck. Mental determination has just as much if not more than the physical ability. You can do it if you are committed.
    NACH3 and BG like this.

Thanks Brett

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus88
    I'll do my best to make a trip to the ocean farther into my training. One thing I'm trying to figure out is tracking a swim workout in the lake/sea. I want to push myself to know that I'm getting good distances in the water.
    They have plenty of waterproof smartphone cases out there, or Google swim aids you should be able to find something. I see ppl swimming in the pool with iPhones and waterproof buds so it's out there.

I'm a bit paranoid about taking the phone into the water but I found a swim watch from garmin I will order soon.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985 View Post
    They have plenty of waterproof smartphone cases out there, or Google swim aids you should be able to find something. I see ppl swimming in the pool with iPhones and waterproof buds so it's out there.
    Yeah, Ive been doing it for years when I go get skiing. It's called a ziploc bag. lol

I'm a bit paranoid about taking the phone into the water but I found a swim watch from garmin I will order soon.
    This is the difference between a normal person and someone wanting to be special forces. You go for a swim in the ocean and worry about your phone getting wet, I swim in the ocean and worry about a shark eating my ass. Definitely a different way of looking at the same thing.
    BG likes this.

Hey guys a little update. I've read five books on the subject. I'm sitting good on all the pst categories hitting optimum on the seal pst calculator except for the swim. The swim is coming along pretty well though. I'm pumped to qualify for a seal challenge contract after a while.

I wonder if there is any civilian facility that offers seal testing? Would be nice to have someone tell you after all your training that you would qualify to enter into seal training without any problems. I know this doesn't mean you would become a seal automatically but just meet the physical qualifications. Mental qualifications is a whole new ballgame.

The nice thing is you can enter the delayed entry pool and do pst's with a seal mentor, with no commitment until you get a seal challenge contract.
    Brett N likes this.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Your either born sf or your not. Physical fitness can be learnt but mental toughness that is required for sf is something else. I made it to sas selection and when you go days and days with out food and sleep and you start getting cold your true personality comes out and you doubt your self and you think fvck this I'm going back to the grunts. You have to truly want it and not just the "prestige" that comes with it or else you will just quit.

I feel you euro

You may think you want it but the only way to truly know is to be there doing it then you will discover if you truly want it or not. I thought i wanted it i was motivated and dedicated then after 2 weeks i thought if this is only selection imagine what comes next, then i threw in the towel. I didn't want it enough.

And correct me if I'm wrong but when you finish buds you still have to do a seal qualification course to be badged a seal?

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic
    You may think you want it but the only way to truly know is to be there doing it then you will discover if you truly want it or not. I thought i wanted it i was motivated and dedicated then after 2 weeks i thought if this is only selection imagine what comes next, then i threw in the towel. I didn't want it enough. And correct me if I'm wrong but when you finish buds you still have to do a seal qualification course to be badged a seal?
    To pretty much every special operations in the US military there's a selection process that most fail, anywhere from 30% attrition for things like civil affairs to like 95% attrition for the seals. After that there's generally at least a year if not two of job school depending on your MOS (specialization)

I don't think Klaus thinks you can become a seal by being mentally weak.

Personally, I like to encourage and keep all the negative out of it. If your physically fit and hungry you can make it. The only way to truly fail is to fail yourself. You quitting is how you fail. That's it. That's the difference between being the elite that do or us that didn't. You either choose to accept the pain and live with it or you just decide that before was good enough.

It's easy for me to say this sitting at my keyboard but it's a fact. Many can do the physical part of being special forces. The mental part is the real test. Just remember, there is no permanent in life. Everything in life will pass, this includes any and all pain. Band of brothers quote " The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it. "

It's a little extreme but really it is true in life as much as war. We are already dead. Our end is already there, we just haven't come to it yet. We all know that the story is going to end, it's what you do between today and that end that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett N View Post
    I don't think Klaus thinks you can become a seal by being mentally weak.

Personally, I like to encourage and keep all the negative out of it. If your physically fit and hungry you can make it. The only way to truly fail is to fail yourself. You quitting is how you fail. That's it. That's the difference between being the elite that do or us that didn't. You either choose to accept the pain and live with it or you just decide that before was good enough.

It's easy for me to say this sitting at my keyboard but it's a fact. Many can do the physical part of being special forces. The mental part is the real test. Just remember, there is no permanent in life. Everything in life will pass, this includes any and all pain. Band of brothers quote " The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it. "

It's a little extreme but really it is true in life as much as war. We are already dead. Our end is already there, we just haven't come to it yet. We all know that the story is going to end, it's what you do between today and that end that matters.
    The only way to now if you have what it takes it to attempt it. Theres a reason they set the bar where they do because they don't want everybody they are after a certain type of person. You can even pass selection and they still do not want you because of a certain trait that you have or your personality etc. when you go 5 days with out food and sleep and are still expected to function you are not the same person you were beforehand. I hope the op try's because it is alot of fun and is character building.

100% agree

From what I gathered from acquaintances when I was in the Navy. You are going to break. Guaranteed. Everyone has a breaking point. You never know how you will react under those circumstances. Reality is no longer real. Someone who you know won't and can't kill you has suddenly become your true enemy. I'm sure there is no way to really explain it or describe it to make someone know what it feels like.

Hey guys. I'm aware of the attrition rate but im really wanting to give it a shot. I just need to work on my swim a bit more for my pst. All other exercises are well over optimum.

If you really want it, go for it. Or else you will be regretting that you didn't try.

Along with being physically fit I'd try to get used to being wet and cold. Wet and covered in sand while you do exercises. Along with minimal sleep while trying to do all of those. Crawling around in cammies while your soaked and covered in sand sucks lol sand gets into places you wouldn't expect and feels like sand paper rubbing against your skin
    Euroholic likes this.

Alright pit, I already work night shifts and usually get 3-4 hours of sleep a day as is through the week

Hey guys. I'm aware of the attrition rate but im really wanting to give it a shot. I just need to work on my swim a bit more for my pst. All other exercises are well over optimum.
    Have you tried going days with out food and sleep and just doing continuous pt? Or marching with full combat gear for 150km with a empty stomach? Going into the woods for a month with just a few basic items and working on your nav and survival skills? I would even suggest joining as a grunt(or what ever your navy calls them) for a year or so and then attempt selection. It will make things abit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by pitweiler View Post
    If you really want it, go for it. Or else you will be regretting that you didn't try.

Along with being physically fit I'd try to get used to being wet and cold. Wet and covered in sand while you do exercises. Along with minimal sleep while trying to do all of those. Crawling around in cammies while your soaked and covered in sand sucks lol sand gets into places you wouldn't expect and feels like sand paper rubbing against your skin
    Exactly. Don't chat about it just go for it. And if you make it don't let anyone know.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic
    Have you tried going days with out food and sleep and just doing continuous pt? Or marching with full combat gear for 150km with a empty stomach? Going into the woods for a month with just a few basic items and working on your nav and survival skills? I would even suggest joining as a grunt(or what ever your navy calls them) for a year or so and then attempt selection. It will make things abit easier.
    Grunts are Marines. Navy does not have a front line type mos. Nothing that is hand to hand combat anyways. Anyone in any trade (rate) in the Navy can try out for seals.

I honestly don't think anything will make the mental part easier. Even training under cold, wet conditions with sleep deprivation isn't the same in civilian world as it is in combat training.

I say sign up for something you really want to do as a trade (like an engineer in the Seabees) and then commit 100% to the seals. Back up plan is there but I would never consider it or it may fvck with your head. You are training to be a seal, not your backup.

I agree to have a back up plan as well. Ship life sucks. My first deployment was on a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit). Where you float around with the navy visiting ports. Training and praying they need you somewhere in the world so you get off the ship lol. Your packed in there on the ship and I couldn't imagine doing that for at least 4 years. I'd enlist with a job you like and possibly use it for when you get out of the navy. Seabees or an engineer are good choices.

Training as a civilian isn't the same but it's something. And training your body for everything imaginable. You will have a better mindset than the average joe

Thread Information